PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm going to catch hell for this but I saw some real positives yesterday...

Historian
09-23-2013, 07:04 AM
First of all, this team has no quit in them.

Gailey or Jauron's teams would have quit at halftime. (Be honest)

Second, Manuel can take a hit.

Third, Carpenter isn't a bad "replacement" kicker. Several touchbacks too.

Also,I think Kiko could be the next Talley.

To play that poorly on both sides of the ball, and still be in it at the end is a testament to the coaching staff. I just wish they had mixed it up a bit more on offense.

Novacane
09-23-2013, 07:07 AM
To play that poorly and still be in it is a testament to the Jets.

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Are you on drugs?

One or two kernels of corn in a pile of crap... still taste like crap.

Forward_Lateral
09-23-2013, 07:08 AM
I agree, yesterday's game would've been a 40 point blow out last season. Wait, it was.

I don't think Buffalo could play much worse, in all phases of the game, than they did yesterday. They still had many chances to win. You can't settle for FGs when your Defense actually makes plays and gives you the ball deep in the opponent's territory.

Red Zone offense was an Achilles's heel yesterday, again.

The King
09-23-2013, 07:11 AM
As I said in another post, the Jets were so dominant against the run it put everything on EJ, which he's not ready for. The Bills were playing for field position and EJ was super (too) cautious with his passes.

lightningbolt444
09-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Why must we compare every player with someone from the 90's?

A qb could always be the next Kelly, RB the next thomas so on and so forth why cant kiko just be kiko?

SquishDaFish
09-23-2013, 07:44 AM
coming from you I cant give you hell about that. Your right IMO. And ubtil they take the reigns off of EJ this is what we have to expect from him

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 07:44 AM
As I said in another post, the Jets were so dominant against the run it put everything on EJ, which he's not ready for. The Bills were playing for field position and EJ was super (too) cautious with his passes.
And this is exactly what I feared would happen all off-season: teams stack the box against the run and dare EJ and the inexperienced WR's to beat them. You know every team is going to have 8 in the box and bring heat on passing downs until the Bills prove they can make them pay for doing it.

The King
09-23-2013, 07:52 AM
And this is exactly what I feared would happen all off-season: teams stack the box against the run and dare EJ and the inexperienced WR's to beat them. You know every team is going to have 8 in the box and bring heat on passing downs until the Bills prove they can make them pay for doing it.

Yup, for certain Baltimore will, hopefully they can get some designed plays for this in EJ's head for Sunday. And Spiller needs to be better, he wants to be a star in this league he needs to be better than what we saw yesterday. Manuel was bad yesterday but no one was there to help him out either.

lightningbolt444
09-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Yup, for certain Baltimore will, hopefully they can get some designed plays for this in EJ's head for Sunday. And Spiller needs to be better, he wants to be a star in this league he needs to be better than what we saw yesterday. Manuel was bad yesterday but no one was there to help him out either.

I am betting we wont have Spiller for this game and that may actually work in our favor. He is playing awful and not helping this offense at all. Being used wrong is just an excuse GREAT backs like everyone seems to think he is can make something out of nothing.

Skooby
09-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Spiller looks like a scared child that has a spotlight shone on him without permission.

Thief
09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Seriously, this is Spiller's fault? Dude wasnt in space one yesterday and was met by 2 guys at or before the LOS on almost every handoff. The Bills need to A). Back the defense up some by hitting over the top, and B). Block SOMEONE.

We made their rookie DT and the LBs look like a damn super super super stars. I think I seen a cape sticking out the bottom of one's knickers.

lightningbolt444
09-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Seriously, this is Spiller's fault? Dude wasnt in space one yesterday and was met by 2 guys at or before the LOS on almost every handoff. The Bills need to A). Back the defense up some by hitting over the top, and B). Block SOMEONE.

We made their rookie DT and the LBs look like a damn super super super stars. I think I seen a cape sticking out the bottom of one's knickers.

Not saying it is his fault but he should not be getting a pass. He has been playing awful. Against the panthers he was ok on a few runs where he got most of his yardage but he had some really awful plays that he lost a ton of yardage because he was trying to hit the home run.

If he is Elite as many here say he is he should be making somethings happen. He also has not been able to hold onto the ball. He has fumbled 3 times and Multiple other times he has almost lost it while running especially near the sidelines.

Historian
09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
One or two kernels of corn in a pile of crap... still taste like crap.

True...but if you take the approach that this is basically a 4-12 (crap) team, it shines a different light on the pile, right?

justasportsfan
09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
To play that poorly on both sides of the ball, and still be in it at the end is a testament to the coaching staff. I just wish they had mixed it up a bit more on offense. are you talking about their coaching staff? From what I saw,only reason we were in it is because their staff tried to give the game to us on a silver plate and we didn't want it. Well at least our Qb "threw" away what they were giving us. They were feeding us penalties and our qb is bulimic.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 09:03 AM
are you talking about their coaching staff? From what I saw,only reason we were in it is because their staff tried to give the game to us on a silver plate and we didn't want it. Well at least our Qb "threw" away what they were giving us. They were feeding us penalties and our qb is bulimic.

It could have a been far worse. If Rex wouldnt have given away both those challenges, then we would have challenged the fumble, and the game would have been pretty much over.

Meathead
09-23-2013, 09:43 AM
well i guess its always good to look for the positives

so i guess for me it would be that after watching that game i realized kiko alonso is the MVP of the first 18.75% of the season

GvilleBills
09-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I tried like hell to keep the rosé glasses on. I wasn't excited about EJ when we were linked to him predraft, and I screamed at the tv when we picked him. I drank the upside Kool aid and got myself excited. "Maybe he can clean that stuff up at the pro level without the distractions"...nope. What's broken with EJ can't be fixed. He may as well been wearing garnet and gold yesterday.

while I'm at it, get Moats off the ****ing field. Bradham can run 5 yards behind somebody too. At least he has athletic upside.

Marrone needs to start jackknife powerbombing mfers starting wih Hackett.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:33 AM

To play that poorly on both sides of the ball, and still be in it at the end is a testament to the coaching staff. I just wish they had mixed it up a bit more on offense.The only people you will catch hell from are the faggits with a loser mentality. Good post.

coastal
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM
True...but if you take the approach that this is basically a 4-12 (crap) team, it shines a different light on the pile, right?
I guess... but I'm tired of looking at the same pile of crap for going on two decades.

- - - Updated - - -

The only people you will catch hell from are the faggits with a loser mentality. Good post.
Loser mentality... I'm not the one who has been losing for 14 years.

bf1
09-23-2013, 10:39 AM

To play that poorly on both sides of the ball, and still be in it at the end is a testament to the coaching staff. I just wish they had mixed it up a bit more on offense.

I couldn't disagree more with Jauron's teams quitting.

Typ0
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Honestly after that **** performance when we tied it up all I could think about was if we were able to win that game what a good sign that was. I hear you Historian just hanging in there is a mentality we haven't seen since Williams was our coach. It's a good sign. And I like that EJ seems to be able to dog off the past pretty quickly. The kid needs to learn and develop. And we need a better secondary...it's too bad because our secondary is good but we clearly need depth that we don't have if we are ever to really be winners.

Historian
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I actually thought they could pull it out until the last punt was downed on the 1.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Honestly after that **** performance when we tied it up all I could think about was if we were able to win that game what a good sign that was. I hear you Historian just hanging in there is a mentality we haven't seen since Williams was our coach. It's a good sign. And I like that EJ seems to be able to dog off the past pretty quickly. The kid needs to learn and develop. And we need a better secondary...it's too bad because our secondary is good but we clearly need depth that we don't have if we are ever to really be winners.

This is going to mess with EJ's head for awhile.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I guess... but I'm tired of looking at the same pile of crap for going on two decades.

- - - Updated - - -

Loser mentality... I'm not the one who has been losing for 14 years.You play in the NFL?

coastal
09-23-2013, 11:01 AM
You play in the NFL?
Nope.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 11:26 AM
"Nope"

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt

Mr. Pink
09-23-2013, 11:34 AM
The NFLs fake anyway, right Moonie?

coastal
09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
"Nope"

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
U sure about that?

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/wibv.jpg

stuckincincy
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I actually thought they could pull it out until the last punt was downed on the 1.

We need to hire the Hansen Brothers !!!!!

The King
09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
This is going to mess with EJ's head for awhile.
I feel like he can shake it, but playing BAL this week could result in a whole new set.

JohnnyGold
09-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I'll be honest with everyone in this thread:

NFL fans like to analyze the HELL out of wins and losses--how should we have used spiller, where should manuel throw the ball, what happened in our defensive backfield, etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line: in over a decade of reading about the bills on the internet, be it message boards, blogs, comment sections or press articles, I have yet to see a single poster who understands the game of football enough to add valuable, critical insight into any of these conversations. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart--and I truly hope that cuts deep with some of you.

At the end of the day, our rookie qb, coach, offensive coordinator, and overall young football team lost a one possession game, in their first road contest of the season (their careers) to a divisional opponent. That's as deep as the analysis needs to go. Was it ugly? yes, at times it was. but at times it was explosive. and we still could have pulled it out in the end.

13 more weeks of football to be played, it would have been nice to win this one, but we didnt. it would be nice to win the next one, but we probably wont.

enjoy the ride.

The King
09-23-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll be honest with everyone in this thread:

NFL fans like to analyze the HELL out of wins and losses--how should we have used spiller, where should manuel throw the ball, what happened in our defensive backfield, etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line: in over a decade of reading about the bills on the internet, be it message boards, blogs, comment sections or press articles, I have yet to see a single poster who understands the game of football enough to add valuable, critical insight into any of these conversations. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart--and I truly hope that cuts deep with some of you.

At the end of the day, our rookie qb, coach, offensive coordinator, and overall young football team lost a one possession game, in their first road contest of the season (their careers) to a divisional opponent. That's as deep as the analysis needs to go. Was it ugly? yes, at times it was. but at times it was explosive. and we still could have pulled it out in the end.

13 more weeks of football to be played, it would have been nice to win this one, but we didnt. it would be nice to win the next one, but we probably wont.

enjoy the ride.

Side note: All players still receive a check after a loss.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
The NFLs fake anyway, right Moonie?I avoided commenting on that in another thread because I feel it's a waste to respond to braindead morons. But since it seems you will persist in this line of questioning, here goes.

I never said it was fake, I have said it was getting like Professional Wrestling where games are engineered for maximum entertainment value. How many times have you seen a team jump out to a big lead and then the flags start flying so the other team stays in the game? How many times have you seen an imbalance in penalties and when the game is already decided the yellow starts flying the other way to make the stat sheet look good with regards to fouls?

All you have to do is look at the Seattle/Pittsburgh Super Bowl when the Seahawks we jobbed out of the game. Why? Because long suffering Bill Cowher finally got his championship and Jerome Bettis got his ring in front of his hometown. Wonderful story and it kept NFL writers busy for a year. When that was accepted by the public, the NFL knew they had carte blanche. A couple years ago the Bills played in Cincy. Dalton's rookie year and the stadium was only half filled. Buffalo is driving to put the game away, Stevie catches a first down on the Cincy 35 and we can basically run the clock and win even if we don't score. The ref calls in incomplete even though it's obvious to anyone that has watched one game of football that is was complete. The replay evidence was conclusive, but the call was not overturned. The next home game was a Bengals' sellout. There are a lot more examples, but in general, the lack of holding calls to protect the QB which results in more points and even blatant none calls when a RB busts a long run.

Look at it logically. Gambling on pro football is a 4 or 5 billion dollar a year business. It's hard to buy players today, not like it was in the '80's or even '90's so who do you think is targeted to help throw games?

You can chose to believe that everything is on the up and up, but I will always be skeptical. There have been reports about college games and MLB games being fixed with the fixer telling a reporter how he did it and that it was common. Boxing has had certain fights fixed since the '50's. How can some games in the NFL be any different. Of course, the sports media, even if they did find out, doesn't want something like that to come out because their livelihood depends on the integrity of the game.

"Fake" is an oversimplification, but I would not expect anything more from a guy like you.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
U sure about that?

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/wibv.jpgYes and Teddy was talking to you and a lot of the critics here. I mean Spike is lucky he can tie his own shoes let alone step on a football field and excel.

coastal
09-23-2013, 04:16 PM
You're still a deluded homer.

TrEd FTW
09-23-2013, 04:16 PM

Three different times during Gailey's tenure, his teams came back from at least 17 points to win a game. They trailed Cincinnati 31-14 at halftime in 2010 before coming back to win 49-31. In 2011, they trailed Oakland 21-3 at the half, but won 38-35. The next week, they erased a 21-0 deficit vs. New England, winning 34-31. So, I don't think "quit" was the problem under him, but rather poor coaching combined with a lack of talent.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2013, 04:27 PM
"Fake" is an oversimplification, but I would not expect anything more from a guy like you.

Fake, fixed, WWE, what's the difference?

Outcomes are predetermined. Players and teams are meaningless. Whoever is popular wins.

Why have any emotional attachment to a predetermined event?

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Fake, fixed, WWE, what's the difference?

Outcomes are predetermined. Players and teams are meaningless. Whoever is popular wins.

Why have any emotional attachment to a predetermined event?It's a disgusting and sick addiction. I try to step away, but I can't find a twelve step program. Maybe there will come a day when a cure is found and doctor's can remove my Buffalo Bills gene that afflicted my father and grandfather. All I can hope for now is one SB win and then I can leave it be.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 04:38 PM
You're still a deluded homer.Thanks, my man. So sweet of you to say.

YardRat
09-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Games like this are a necessary evil in a young player's (and young team's) development. It happens. ALL the time. We are at the very beginning of a process, and there are going to bigger bumps in the road than yesterday.

coastal
09-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Games like this are a necessary evil in a young player's (and young team's) development. It happens. ALL the time. We are at the very beginning of a process, and there are going to bigger bumps in the road than yesterday.
We've been at the beginning of the process for 14 ****ing years.

im ready for step two

YardRat
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
We've been at the beginning of the process for 14 ****ing years.

im ready for step two

You've got to get step one right, before moving on to step two. We haven't yet, in this century, but hopefully we did this time. We shall see.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I also saw some real positives yesterday. For instance, I am now wanting to play football for whatever defense goes against this offensive line because I am quite positive that I could probably get a sack against EJ Manuel without too much resistance. I am positive that it was yet another empty headed decision to decide not to pay big money for a top flight OL. In football, unless you have Manning or a ton of weapons, you need to have a first rate OL. We don't. This team did show some heart, and yes last year this team loses by thirty or more. However, a loss is only a loss. The good news: Its early in the season and we could still beat some people. The bad news: Baltimore is next week and I don't think too many in our (in)offensive backfield are going home without a trip to a local hospital first.

BillsFever21
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Why must we compare every player with someone from the 90's?

A qb could always be the next Kelly, RB the next thomas so on and so forth why cant kiko just be kiko?

Because even though we choked in the Super Bowls, the 90's were the only time in the history of the Bills that they were a very successful team. It was also the last time our team had any success. Since it's the only time most people can remember any success they like to compare everything to the Bills teams of the 90's.

BillsFever21
09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

This doesn't make one bit of sense. We played as poorly as we could on both sides of the ball but it's a testament to the coaching staff that we only lost by 7 points? The Jets had to give us a chance to come back or god knows how bad it would've been.

The only reason why we were in the game was because of the Jets. They committed penalty after penalty to give us 1st downs, 15 yard personal foul penalties and a couple horrible INT's. The game was heading for a blowout until the Jets decided to give us a couple first downs and about 50 yards of penalties on our only TD drive. All that after a Manuel fumble that was called wrong and that couldn't be reviewed.

This offense literally only made a few plays all game. The TD pass to Chandler, the run by Jackson and a wide open catch to Robert Woods. This game was heading for a blowout until the Alonso INT and the Jets deciding to commit about 4 penalties on one drive. Any decent team would've beat us by 30 points yesterday.

X-Era
09-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Are you on drugs?

One or two kernels of corn in a pile of crap... still taste like crap.No, it still tastes like corn. It just smells like crap.

chernobylwraiths
09-24-2013, 06:33 AM
EJ sucks. I sure wish we had Colin Kaepernick.

Historian
09-24-2013, 06:44 AM
This doesn't make one bit of sense. We played as poorly as we could on both sides of the ball but it's a testament to the coaching staff that we only lost by 7 points? The Jets had to give us a chance to come back or god knows how bad it would've been.

The only reason why we were in the game was because of the Jets. .

See that's the statement that doesn't make sense.

How and why did the Jets make those mistakes?

Could it have been something the Bills were doing defensively? Just maybe?

chernobylwraiths
09-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Missing our starting CBs and safety for practically the entire game. Through the game, we lost 3 defensive linemen. Team is starting 3 rookies. EJ sure had a rough game, let's hope he learns from it. Spiller got hurt, Stevie was hurt, the biggest concern for me is that the Oline needs to be better.

And I'm completely fine with EJ picking his spots on when to run. We don't want him to turn into Vince Young.

Fletch
09-24-2013, 08:54 AM

The quitting's coming. There's still too much uncertainty, at least on the part of those that can't see what's happening with this team again.

Manuel can take a hit, but can he take a hundred hits and not have it impact his game or put him out with injury?

It's not good for any QB to take hits like he did, especially not that many. He's going to be put to the test here from now on, you'll see, teams are going to blitz the daylights out of him and force him to make the deep throws on 3rd and longs.

BleedinGreenNC
09-24-2013, 08:59 AM
See that's the statement that doesn't make sense.

How and why did the Jets make those mistakes?

Could it have been something the Bills were doing defensively? Just maybe?

Because Rex would rather be their friend than their coach, i admit, not all of it was because of the Jets, i think Manuel had good hard counts, which caused them to jump more than normal.

kishoph
09-24-2013, 11:40 AM
You're still a deluded homer.

Thanks, my man. So sweet of you to say.

For myself, I have no problem with being called a "Homer" in fact I embrace it. To me the word Homer is synonymous with the the word fan, which is a shortened version of the word fanatic, which means a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal. I will never believe that a person that criticizes or rips apart everything a team does is a true fan. How can a person be so cynical towards something that they claim to be a "fan" of, or have love for ?