PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith looked to be ahead of EJ

ghz in pittsburgh
09-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Have to be honest and thought Geno was much more impressive than EJ despite the interceptions. Kind of feel like this is a learning and trying period for him.

EJ, on the other hand, like so many have said, looked confused and the inaccuracy really showed. I don't buy into the O-Line struggle affecting him. I've always believe a good QB makes O-Line look better than they are. How come Brady, Manning, Brees always have good O-Lines? Even our old Fitz makes the O-Line look better.

I know what people have said. EJ is the one with the most potential of this year's draft. But potential can be a dangerous word. We'll see how he progress this year. Judging from what the Jets have put on Geno's plate, I'd not be surprised that Geno progress faster than EJ by the end of the year. Of course from Buffalo's view, reaching full potential is the key word on EJ in the long run.

I cannot help but feel the changing landscape of NFL QBs. Last year's Luck, RGIII (still looked dnagerous despite 0-3), Tennerhill, Wilson all looked good. Locker from a year ago seems to coming out strong as well. The Bills better get EJ and develop him right. If they get another high draft pick next year, I'd not be against draft another QB high since this is such a key position.

justasportsfan
09-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Geno is ahead in the mojo department. He had balls to throw the ball but he made a bunch of rookie mistakes.

The bills should have EJ work on his passes all week long. The ravens will do the same thing the jets did and if EJ can't throw decently .... Ej has this week to fix his problems because I think Tuel can do better or at least willing to find out.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not willing to give up on EJ after one bad game. I'm pretty sure they will give him this year. I want to see improvements. Kind of like Tannerhill last year where everyone saw a very raw guy but near the end of year they see someone who can be a solid NFL QB. Tannerhill himself said as much that this year everything slows down for him.

EJ showed poise but not much else right now. There is a long road ahead.

justasportsfan
09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm not giving up onEJ either, but his tentativeness and horrible accuracy worries me. We need a qb with an eltite arm and accuracy to win a sb.

PTI
09-23-2013, 10:18 AM
His deep balls were in play. He almost threw a late pick six if any Bills player was actually looking, it was terrible.

Novacane
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Gino would have had 5 picks if we had put the pressure on him the Jets put on EJ. I still think Geno Smith blows.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Gino would have had 5 picks if we had put the pressure on him the Jets put on EJ. I still think Geno Smith blows.

Our OL did its job, just goes to show that Rex is the master mind of his defense. Pettine was just someone in the position.

mjt328
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
At this point, Geno is way ahead.

justasportsfan
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
This was a tale of two qb's where one could take advantage of a depleted db and one couldn't.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
At this point, Geno is way ahead.

I wouldnt say way ahead, i just think he has the benefit of a nasty defense.

- - - Updated - - -

This was a tale of two qb's where one could take advantage of a depleted db and one couldn't.

This was a tale of penalties.

justasportsfan
09-23-2013, 10:55 AM
This was a tale of penalties. the title is about the qbs :mad:

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
the title is about the qbs :mad:

Then it was about EJ holding the ball too long. Throw it away.

jimmifli
09-23-2013, 11:00 AM
EJ, on the other hand, like so many have said, looked confused and the inaccuracy really showed.
I don't think EJ looked confused at all. He understood the defenses he was facing and did a good job diagnosing them. He just didn't come close to physically executing what he attempted.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't think EJ looked confused at all. He understood the defenses he was facing and did a good job diagnosing them. He just didn't come close to physically executing what he attempted.

Didnt look confused? Did you watch the same game i did?

streetkings01
09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Geno outplayed EJ but Justin Rogers and the Jets defense more then made it possible.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Geno outplayed EJ but Justin Rogers and the Jets defense more then made it possible.

Isnt that whats supposed to happen?

Mr. Pink
09-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Then it was about EJ holding the ball too long. Throw it away.

Absolutely.

The reason the Jets had what 8 sacks is because EJ holds the ball way too damn long.

The number of sacks taken could have easily been halved.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Absolutely.

The reason the Jets had what 8 sacks is because EJ holds the ball way too damn long.

The number of sacks taken could have easily been halved.

THere was times that i expected it, he seemed like he was holding out for the big play. That is where he is going to have issues.

Albany,n.y.
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Rookie QBs often look bad on the road. Both have had 2 home games & 1 road game & made a lot of mistakes in their 1 road game. Who is better? -This will not be decided any time soon. This was a wake up call to all who posted last week that EJ is great & Geno sucks-it may take years to figure out which team made out better.

Turf
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
There often was no one open. I blame Hackett, and want to know where our speed demon receiving corps is.

The Zone Ranger
09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I think the difference between the two qb's has
More to do with the experience of the two OC's. Marty Moringwig
is a very experienced OC and can help Geno in game planing as well as
mid game changes. This is Hacketts first rodeo and it shows.

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Geno looked better but it's not exactly a fair comparison. He has better WRs, an OL that gave him a chance and a running game that took the pressure off. Plus, he got to pick on 3rd string DB's.

jimmifli
09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Didnt look confused? Did you watch the same game i did?
Yes. On what plays do you think he look confused?

He held the ball a lot, but when ever they showed the full field angle, he had nobody open. The Jets have a very good D, and our WRs aren't very good. On nearly every Blitz he'd recognized it presnap and made the throw to the hot route. He panicked, rushed the throws and badly missed the receiver. But that isn't confusion, just poor quarterbacking.

Bellowing4DaBills
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Taco Sanchez or one of Phil Simm's albino sons would have looked good too against Rogers and the rest of the stiffs we had back there.

BleedinGreenNC
09-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Geno looked better but it's not exactly a fair comparison. He has better WRs, an OL that gave him a chance and a running game that took the pressure off. Plus, he got to pick on 3rd string DB's.

Wait, now our WR's are better than yours? Thats not what i was seeing on this board this past week.

Mr. Pink
09-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Wait, now our WR's are better than yours? Thats not what i was seeing on this board this past week.

I'd say they're about equal.

Both teams have a guy as a 1 who shouldn't be a 1 and then a plethora of maybes and potential.

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Well there are some homers who confuse "different" with "better." I've been concerned about the WR position since this FO decided that it was smart to go with 2 rookies and a sophomore who barely played last year alongside Stevie.

As usual, we lead the league in potential, but actual production is a different story.

better days
09-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Our OL did its job, just goes to show that Rex is the master mind of his defense. Pettine was just someone in the position.

It goes to show the Jets have a great Defense & the Bills were playing without their #1 CB & #2 CB as well as without Byrd.

I doubt very many teams in the NFL can lose BOTH the #1 & #2 CB's & expect to win.

better days
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Well there are some homers who confuse "different" with "better." I've been concerned about the WR position since this FO decided that it was smart to go with 2 rookies and a sophomore who barely played last year alongside Stevie.

As usual, we lead the league in potential, but actual production is a different story.

When the Bills play a team with no #1 CB & no #2 CB, the production will be there like it was for the Jets on Sunday.

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
When the Bills play a team with no #1 CB & no #2 CB, the production will be there like it was for the Jets on Sunday.

Well guess what? The opportunity to play against a team with both their starting cb's injured is going to be extremely rare. We need production against whatever D we are playing, not just in freak circumstances.

Ingtar33
09-23-2013, 12:23 PM
that game was a microcosm of what i saw from the two in college. Geno is a gunslinger who will wow you a few times a game, and then leave you shaking your head because his technique is so bad it causes him to throw up a lot of wounded ducks and ill advised passes. EJ is a typical WCO qb, with crazy up and down accuracy issues, sometimes he's on and sometimes he's off, but he never really leaves you "impressed"

The qb in me, the gunslinger in me really fell in love with geno smith these last two years in college. Personally he was my highest rated qb, in that draft. But since he's with the jets i have to hope and pray his technique problems will torpedo his career. Meanwhile i have to hope EJ turns into Alex Smith, cause i think that's the limit of his upside (and why i was a bit upset we didn't go for alex smith in the offseason, cause i didn't think either geno nor ej was better then him)

better days
09-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Well guess what? The opportunity to play against a team with both their starting cb's injured is going to be extremely rare. We need production against whatever D we are playing, not just in freak circumstances.

My point was more about the Jets receivers than the Bills.

If Gilmore & McKelvin played in that game, it would have been MUCH different.

The Bills did not play their usual defense because Pettine had to protect the crappy CB's as best he could so he did not blitz like he normally would have.

trapezeus
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
ej's sacks were mostly him moving forward in the pocket and getting sacked. there weren't too many losman sacks where he is just scrambling around leaving the OL confused as to where the QB was. This was mostly on the line. EJ does have to throw more accurately. and the OC needs to not call run run pass routinely. That really let the jets t off on the bills offense.

I really think the bills are holding the playbook back and trying to get EJ to perform well at the basics so that if he has a bad game, it isn't easy to put all the blame on him. The fieldgoals when down by 20-6? really? throw them into the endzone and make it a game. but it was run run pass.

maybe that's the right call in the long term, but the bills offense has zero chance to consistenly have drives. they'll have one or two nice plays to give you hope, but they aren't smacking anyone around and tiring them out.