PDA

View Full Version : What really irritates me....

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 05:38 PM
We have no depth on the OL or at CB but we are $19 MILLION under the cap.

Now, before some of you flip out, I'm not saying that we should have gone after big name FA's or spend right up to the cap. But there have to be guys out there who could help- or at least there were. AT the very least we should have picked up a vet on a one year contract at CB when Gilmore went down before the season started.

There are lots of ways we could have used that money to help this year without hosing the cap.

YardRat
09-23-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been clamoring for a vet back-up center that can swing to guard for years, and you can never have too many corners.

SpikedLemonade
09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
We are operating with an internal cap that is about $20M below the real cap.

Ralph may not be involved in the day to day operations but he isn't going to spend to the cap until he has to in a couple of years to reach the 89% salary floor average for the 4 year period of 2013 - 2016.

BillsFever21
09-23-2013, 05:50 PM
There were tons of decent veterans signing one or two year deals this offseason. We could've snatched some of them up without hurting the long term cap but the Bills decided to put that money in Ralph's pocket.

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Now, before some of you flip out, I'm not saying that we should have gone after big name FA's or spend right up to the cap. But there have to be guys out there who could help- or at least there were. AT the very least we should have picked up a vet on a one year contract at CB when Gilmore went down before the season started.

There are lots of ways we could have used that money to help this year without hosing the cap.

But, but, but... We need that money to sign our players who will be Free Agents next year...!

This was a discussion I had yesterday with another Bills fan... My simple reply to him... "Who?"

For anyone curious, here's the list of current Bills players that will be free agents after the 2013 season: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

Alan Branch - DT
Jairus Byrd - S
Dan Carpenter - K
Alex Carrington - DE
Mike Caussin - TE
Scott Chandler - TE
Tashard Choice - RB
Chris Hogan - WR
Doug Legursky - OL
Jim Leonhard - S
Arthur Moats - LB
Frank Summers - RB
Thomas Welch - OT
Jamaal Westerman - LB
Sam Young - OT

-Bill

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Caussin already got cut.

But again, like I said, I'm talking depth- stopgap for that short term, not guys that are gonna kill the cap. Give them short term front-loaded deals. The cap isn't cell phone rollover minutes- we don't get to use it next year.

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
We are operating with an internal cap that is about $20M below the real cap.

Ralph may not be involved in the day to day operations but he isn't going to spend to the cap until he has to in a couple of years to reach the 89% salary floor average for the 4 year period of 2013 - 2016.

I also think the argument of "But, he can't be cheap, because they signed Mario" is kinda silly...

So, you're paying one guy a $100 million contract, yet you're STILL $19 million under the cap as a whole? No wonder the backups are of the Justin Rogers variety.

I also have a theory about why Mario was signed in the first place....

Keep in mind, Mario's first season as a Bill, 2012, was the last year of the stadium lease... The last time the lease was up for renewal (1998) they traded for Rob Johnson and signed Doug Flutie. In both instances, the Bills were looking to get taxpayer money for renovations.

Seems a bit convenient to me to make moves or pay out big money for a high priced FA, just before you go in to negotiate how much taxpayer money you should get....

-Bill

Beebe's Kid
09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
But, but, but... We need that money to sign our players who will be Free Agents next year...!

This was a discussion I had yesterday with another Bills fan... My simple reply to him... "Who?"

For anyone curious, here's the list of current Bills players that will be free agents after the 2013 season: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

Alan Branch - DT
Jairus Byrd - S
Dan Carpenter - K
Alex Carrington - DE
Mike Caussin - TE
Scott Chandler - TE
Tashard Choice - RB
Chris Hogan - WR
Doug Legursky - OL
Jim Leonhard - S
Arthur Moats - LB
Frank Summers - RB
Thomas Welch - OT
Jamaal Westerman - LB
Sam Young - OT

-Bill
While I think that list is both sad and relevant, a one year deal would not have an impact on next year's cap.

And Op, I don't know why you felt the need to apologize in the original post. Your point is well made, and the only answer outside of the team making more money is an excuse. That is the goal of a business.

It is funny how out of place the Mario signing continues to look. I know people criticize it for his play, and that is largely justified, but I thought it was about getting a vet here, which would make the Bills look committed to winning and draw others here in its wake. Instead we have a bunch of guys that are just happy to be in the NFL, one expensive vet, and a bunch of guys that we drafted.

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
But again, like I said, I'm talking depth- stopgap for that short term, not guys that are gonna kill the cap. Give them short term front-loaded deals. The cap isn't cell phone rollover minutes- we don't get to use it next year.

The question would be, who's out there that's worth picking up...? Off the top of my head, I can think of two DB's... Kerry Rhodes and Terrance McGee.

Dunno how much they'd want, but I'd think either would be better than having Rogers out there. I know Rhodes is a S, but at least that would allow you to move Aaron Williams to Corner for the time being.

-Bill

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
While I think that list is both sad and relevant, a one year deal would not have an impact on next year's cap.

I get that, just saying that this was part of my discussion with the guy that said we needed the $19 mil in cap room to sign players on the team that would be FA's next season... Like a mid-season extension or something, don't really know what he was thinking.

-Bill

Homegrown
09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
What really irritates me is that I've wasted so many nice Sunday afternoons in Sep & Oct the last 14 years ....

OpIv37
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
What really irritates me is that I've wasted so many nice Sunday afternoons in Sep & Oct the last 14 years ....

Tell me about it... And down here those nice afternoons often stretch into November.

jimmifli
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
The question would be, who's out there that's worth picking up...? Off the top of my head, I can think of two DB's... Kerry Rhodes and Terrance McGee.

Dunno how much they'd want, but I'd think either would be better than having Rogers out there. I know Rhodes is a S, but at least that would allow you to move Aaron Williams to Corner for the time being.

-Bill
At this point not a lot. But...

Sean Smith went to Kansas City for $6 mil per for 3 years.
Talib resigned in NE for $5 mil 1 year
Phins signed Brian Grimes to a 1 year $5.5 mil deal.
Asomugha $3 mil 1 year
DRC $5 mil 1 year

etc...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

Lots of short deals that could have easily fit under our cap and prevented Rogers from being our #1 CB on Sunday. Of course many fans prefer to cheer for Ralph's wallet. It's got to be the most popular Bill over the last decade, when does it go up on the Wall?

BillsFever21
09-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Asomugha $3 mil 1 year
DRC $5 mil 1 year

etc...

Lots of short deals that could have easily fit under our cap and prevented Rogers from being our #1 CB on Sunday. Of course many fans prefer to cheer for Ralph's wallet. It's got to be the most popular Bill over the last decade, when does it go up on the Wall?

Maybe after he dies they can put a picture of our total combined cap savings and his savings account total on the WOF. Most fans seem obsessed about not signing currently good players so we will have the cap space to "sign" players in the future that we also won't sign. Then when them guys become free agents we can't resign them because the guys we drafted a couple years before that will be free agents. It's a horrendous cycle of accepted mediocrity for most of the past decade.

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Asomugha $3 mil 1 year
DRC $5 mil 1 year

etc...

Certainly not trying to defend the Bills cheapness here, but how many of those were after Gilmore's injury? It's not like they planned on having Rogers start. As OP said, they should have gotten someone the instant they knew Gilmore was gonna be out for an extended period of time.

But, I do get the point of picking up some guys on 1 year deals, especially when you got $19 million to blow. Pretty sure Branch fits into that category. Why not snag an O-Lineman, a DB, or both?

Hell, Chad Rinehart signed a one year deal with San Diego for $1.75 mil and is their starting LG... Why not just sign him, if you knew you weren't keeping Levitre...?

-Bill

jimmifli
09-23-2013, 06:31 PM
I had a similar argument with most the board about Barnett. He was our best LB last season, he wasn't good, but he didn't totally suck.

We cut him and he signed in Washington to backup London Fletcher (no details on his contract but it looks like a 1 year vet minimum). There is no way Barnett isn't better than at least one of Moats, Dowtin or Westermen ( I think he's better than all of them).

Money well saved.

jimmifli
09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Certainly not trying to defend the Bills cheapness here, but how many of those were after Gilmore's injury? It's not like they planned on having Rogers start. As OP said, they should have gotten someone the instant they knew Gilmore was gonna be out for an extended period of time.

But, I do get the point of picking up some guys on 1 year deals, especially when you got $19 million to blow. Pretty sure Branch fits into that category. Why not snag an O-Lineman, a DB, or both?

Hell, Chad Rinehart signed a one year deal with San Diego for $1.75 mil and is their starting LG... Why not just sign him, if you knew you weren't keeping Levitre...?

-Bill
Well there is only one justification for unspent capspace over a signing a player to a one year deal. If the player available isn't better than all the players on your team playing that position.

I would have preferred to spend that $19 million on the Oline as well...

But Gilmour is still fairly unproven, and not many of us had much confidence in McKelvin. After those two the rest of our CBs aren't NFL caliber. That isn't a surprise to us and it shouldn't be a surprise to the front office or coaching staff. It was a big enough gamble going with Glimour/McKelvin as your starting CBs, but then gambling that neither gets hurts all season is pretty reckless.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
What really irritates me....

Must...resist...temptation.......

imbondz
09-23-2013, 06:58 PM
how much under the cap should a team be during the season? what are other teams doing capwise?

- - - Updated - - -

since it's not our money, why not just pay. is $19 million really a big deal to a multi-multi-millionaire?

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I also think the argument of "But, he can't be cheap, because they signed Mario" is kinda silly...

So, you're paying one guy a $100 million contract, yet you're STILL $19 million under the cap as a whole? No wonder the backups are of the Justin Rogers variety.

I also have a theory about why Mario was signed in the first place....

Keep in mind, Mario's first season as a Bill, 2012, was the last year of the stadium lease... The last time the lease was up for renewal (1998) they traded for Rob Johnson and signed Doug Flutie. In both instances, the Bills were looking to get taxpayer money for renovations.

Seems a bit convenient to me to make moves or pay out big money for a high priced FA, just before you go in to negotiate how much taxpayer money you should get....

-Bill
Boom!

best post ever.

X-Era
09-23-2013, 07:10 PM

I agree with this post.

I have never liked the concept of having green as the hills mid to late rounders to undrafted's as primary backups. There is zero reason to be in this position right now at CB.

At least at OL we went and signed two vets.

You could argue Burton I guess. But having 3 good corners is pretty much a need for all teams with the spread formations and the wildcat.

You just can't be young everywhere even at backup spots and expect to win... injuries are a reality.

Mace
09-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Well wait a minute, maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but the salary cap does rollover like cellphone minutes by the CBA, and can be used not only on UFA's, but FA's to plug needs on a yearly basis. You also have to include in the UFA bunch the following season contracts they may want to renegotiate ahead of time (though Dareus is about the only one I see to worry about) ? Maybe I am reading outdated stuff but I'm reading every team is pretty much doing it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really passionate about the argument in any case, just curious...

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 09:25 PM
how much under the cap should a team be during the season? what are other teams doing capwise?

https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

Average NFL Cap room per team is $6,547,770.38 currently. This site updates 4 times per day, FWIW. So, it's updated pretty frequently.

Only one team in the NFL has more cap room currently than the Bills: The Cleveland Browns. Only seven teams have more than $10 mil in cap room.

since it's not our money, why not just pay. is $19 million really a big deal to a multi-multi-millionaire?

To a 94 year old? Perhaps not... But, to people who are in line to inherit that money when the 94 year old dies...?

-Bill

JediMindPowers
09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
We' be a lot better if we signed our guys instead of letting them walk...Levitre, Poz, etc the list goes on and on.

better days
09-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I've been clamoring for a vet back-up center that can swing to guard for years, and you can never have too many corners.

Legursky is that guy. He is supposed to be better at Center than he is at Guard according to Steelers fans.

I would like to see the Bills sign a Guard from some PS that has potential to START. I would also like to see a Vet DB signed.

BillsFever21
09-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Legursky is that guy. He is supposed to be better at Center than he is at Guard according to Steelers fans.

I would like to see the Bills sign a Guard from some PS that has potential to START. I would also like to see a Vet DB signed.

Odds are if they're sitting on the practice squad then their starting potential isn't very high. If it is then it's years down the road and not anytime soon. Hell Colin Brown is a worthless piece of manure but he is currently a starter.

JoeMama
09-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Joique Bell is a good reason to be mad at the Bills.

We put him on our PS even though he was obviously a sick talent.

Then he was snaked from our PS.

Historian
09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Instead we have a bunch of guys that are just happy to be in the NFL, one expensive vet, and a bunch of guys that we drafted.

Kinda like the sabres!

:up:

pmoon6
09-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Joique Bell is a good reason to be mad at the Bills.

We put him on our PS even though he was obviously a sick talent.

Then he was snaked from our PS.I was impressed with Bell during that preseason. He would be a better third string guy than Tashard Choice. But, maybe he wanted to go somewhere else where he could get some playing time. He certainly wasn't going to get it here with Spiller and Jackson. Another Gailey faux pas.