PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say it, but for all his bluster. . . .

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2013, 07:03 PM
That's right I hate to say it, but for all his bluster and his bellicose and flamboyant attitude, Marrone reminds me a hell of a lot of Dick Jauron. No kidding, his poor management of the clock, his good preparation work for each game combined with his inability to coach in game, and the fact that we are once again losing to people we should beat and hanging around with teams we should lose to (only to lose disappointingly) suggests that Marrone is no more than the second coming of Dick ball. Oh well, that is what we get for expecting Ralphie and the rest of the brass up at Weekend at Bernie's to hire a .500 college coach and make a winner. I am afraid that we are going to find that EJ is Trent like and that if he starts royally struggling that we are going just keep him in the game. Now Marrone's brand of football may be more aggressive and tougher on D (then again so was Dickball) but in my sports life I am beginning to state that two things are inevitable.

1) The Royals will never play in the post season
2) Nor will the Bills.

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
And here I thought you were going to admit that I was and always have been right about Fool's Gold.

BuffaloRedleg
09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, it was only his 3rd game coaching in the NFL ever.

I feel like this might be a tad bit premature.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
That's right I hate to say it, but for all his bluster and his bellicose and flamboyant attitude, Marrone reminds me a hell of a lot of Dick Jauron. No kidding, his poor management of the clock, his good preparation work for each game combined with his inability to coach in game, and the fact that we are once again losing to people we should beat and hanging around with teams we should lose to (only to lose disappointingly) suggests that Marrone is no more than the second coming of Dick ball. Oh well, that is what we get for expecting Ralphie and the rest of the brass up at Weekend at Bernie's to hire a .500 college coach and make a winner. I am afraid that we are going to find that EJ is Trent like and that if he starts royally struggling that we are going just keep him in the game. Now Marrone's brand of football may be more aggressive and tougher on D (then again so was Dickball) but in my sports life I am beginning to state that two things are inevitable.

2) Nor will the Bills.Pretty good analysis after three games. Maybe he should be fired right now. We can hire Marty Shottenheimer. He played here and he has that blue collar attitude.

Sounds like a perfect fit.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2013, 07:11 PM
And here I thought you were going to admit that I was and always have been right about Fool's Gold.

I might privately absolutely totally agree with you on that and say that that sonovabich coasty was spot on with that assumption, but I ain't ever going to give you the satisfaction of publicly admitting that truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty good analysis after three games. Maybe he should be fired right now. We can hire Marty Shottenheimer. He played here and he has that blue collar attitude.

Actually, Marty could win. Also, I do confess that it may be a bit premature, but some of the tendencies we are seeing seem all too familiar.

pmoon6
09-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I might privately absolutely totally agree with you on that and say that that sonovabich coasty was spot on with that assumption, but I ain't ever going to give you the satisfaction of publicly admitting that truth.Don't say that. Coasty will be in the bathroom polishing his knob and won't get dinner on for Chickie and the kids.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Don't say that. Coasty will be in the bathroom polishing his knob and won't get dinner on for Chickie and the kids.

I only take notice if byproduct of such action appears on his family's dinner plates.

coastal
09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Don't say that. Coasty will be in the bathroom polishing his knob and won't get dinner on for Chickie and the kids.
They were on their own tonight anyways... youngest son had hockey practice.

his favorite player?

Milan Lucic!

thats my boy!

TheBrownBear
09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
That's my take as well. Looks like a Jauron team quarterbacked by an inaccurate post-concussion Trent Edwards.

Meathead
09-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Hate to say it, but for all his bluster, coastals a dick

Meathead
09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
yeah im not seeing the comparison to jauron but its early who knows

one big diff right away is he doesnt play dickball - more scared to lose than trying to win. i also dont think his clock mgmt has been bad. finally, jauron had an uncanny knack for taking chances exactly when he shouldnt and not taking them exactly when he should. he was a trainwreck on critical plays. at least marrone has been able to get his team to make good on a good deal of his tough call decisions

now if he keeps having ej throw the ball down the sidelines instead of into the middle of the field when theres NO DEFENDERS IN THE ENTIRE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN FIELD then you might have a case

BLeonard
09-23-2013, 08:59 PM
We can hire Marty Shottenheimer. He played here and he has that blue collar attitude.

Well, during our last HC search, Schotty was available and wanted the job... But, Ralph wasn't "comfortable" with him. So, the Bills hired Chan Gailey.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Contrary to the diplomatic comments he made on his radio show, Marty Schottenheimer actually did want the Buffalo Bills head-coaching job.

Badly.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson, however, wasn't interested, sources close to Schottenheimer informed me Tuesday after the club introduced Chan Gailey as their man.

But the Bills couldn't consider Schottenheimer a candidate because Wilson wasn't comfortable with him, the sources said.

Weren't we discussing in another thread about how that whole billboard incident with Jauron was the reason that no good coaches want to come to Buffalo? This was after Jauron was fired, so what's the excuse for not at least interviewing Schotty...?

I don't know about you, but give me Schottenheimer any day of the week over Gailey. At least Schottenheimer got his teams to the playoffs consistently.

-Bill

JoeMama
09-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Pretty good analysis after three games. Maybe he should be fired right now. We can hire Marty Shottenheimer. He played here and he has that blue collar attitude.

That's exactly who I wanted in 2010.

And I promise you two things if we hired him over Chan Gailey.

1) We would have made the playoffs

2) CJ Spiller would be a household name

Hate all you want on Martyball, but the guy never had a problem reaching the playoffs.

More chances...

And the best way to beat your reputation as a guy who doesn't WIN in the playoffs is to get there as much as possible.

Buffalo Thriller
09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
The only coach I'm questioning at this point is Hackett.

Meathead
09-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Hate to say it, but for all his bluster, coastals a dick

jk of course

Buckets
09-24-2013, 07:41 AM

2) Nor will the Bills.

Yeah and we could have hired Chip Kelly.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Jauron?

What?

Marrone's team is not wasting countless timeouts unlike Jauron (His clock managment has not really been an issue(. Marrone's teams do better in the second half after making adjustments, unlike Jauron's teams who came out well and never adjusted.

This comparison is silly and not based in reality.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Marrone's team is not wasting countless timeouts unlike Jauron (His clock managment has not really been an issue(. Marrone's teams do better in the second half after making adjustments, unlike Jauron's teams who came out well and never adjusted.

31st in TOP with a whopping 24:47.

Under Dick...

2006: 30th 28:04
2007: 26th 28:50
2008: 17th 30:04
2009: 29th 27:49

The Bills clock management during the last drive against NE was playing to lose. You don't hike the ball with 20+ seconds left on the play clock when you are up by 1 with 4 minutes left. You make NE waste their timeouts to stop the clock.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2013, 08:15 AM
31st in TOP with a whopping 24:47.

Under Dick...

2006: 30th 28:04
2007: 26th 28:50
2008: 17th 30:04
2009: 29th 27:49

The Bills clock management during the last drive against NE was playing to lose. You don't hike the ball with 20+ seconds left on the play clock when you are up by 1 with 4 minutes left. You make NE waste their timeouts to stop the clock.

There was over 5 minutes left. That was irrelevant.

And clock management and TOP are not the same thing

Historian
09-24-2013, 08:16 AM
If anything, he reminds me of Mularkey minus the gaget plays.

Fletch
09-24-2013, 08:20 AM

2) Nor will the Bills.

This was predictable.

Guess which two coaches are ranked, by a country mile I might add, 31st and 32nd in time-of-possession?

Yep, Chip Kelly and Chip Kelly lite, Marrone. Bills 31st, Eagles 32nd.

Not surprisingly the Bills are ranked 32nd in opposing plays allowed and the Eagles ranked 31st.

Again, not as if that was predictable or anything.

The question for both coaches now becomes how will they alter their approaches since they've been royally schooled that doing what they did in college clearly doesn't work so well in the NFL.

As of now we haven't even seen Marrone adjust at the Half or any other time so my expectations are non-existent there. They're not much higher for Kelly who I also didn't think would succeed using his "style" in the NFL. But we'll see I suppose.

Fletch
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Well, it was only his 3rd game coaching in the NFL ever.

I feel like this might be a tad bit premature.

No it isn't, he hasn't done anything, nothing, but try his way. No adjustments, his selection of Hackett shows that he doesn't know what he's doing, and Pettine's D is worse than Gailey's D and Gailey wasn't even a defensive guy.

We've been sold yet another bill-of-goods. Or at least some of us were. The rest pointed out what should have been obvious at the time that the selection is made.

But when the reasons for hiring are that some other crap team would have hired him, or a .500 record built on a second rate team in a second-rate conference with wins at the hands of D-IAA schools and other Big East rivals that also suck, what do we expect.

This tenure should push us to 20 seasons without a playoff win and probably 16 seasons without a playoff appearance.

Assuming that Wilson doesn't croak first when the team moves. At least that will put us out of our misery.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
There was over 5 minutes left. That was irrelevant.

New England got the ball back with 4:31 on the clock.

The Bills last possession was 3 plays, 4 yards, 1:11 elapsed. With 1 incomplete pass.
You run the ball the first 2 snaps, using all the clock, and go from there.

kishoph
09-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Hurry up everyone, 3 games in, it's time to jump off the Band Wagon, you wouldn't want to be the last one to say "I told you so."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/wagon-crash.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/wagon-crash.jpg.html)

justasportsfan
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM

2) Nor will the Bills.

Marrone has an attack philosophy both offensively and defensively. He wants to score and wants to attack offenses thereby dictating to them what to do.

Dick is a ball control freak. He doesn't want to score and doesn't want to force opponents into errors by sitting back and simply reacting to what offenses will do. Dick lets teams dictate to him .

Meathead
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
kellys bills ALWAYS lost the top battle. you run the offense fast to confuse/tire the opponent so you can score more when you have it. if youre successful nobody gives a crapola about top

Bill Cody
09-24-2013, 10:21 AM
New England got the ball back with 4:31 on the clock.

The Bills last possession was 3 plays, 4 yards, 1:11 elapsed. With 1 incomplete pass.
You run the ball the first 2 snaps, using all the clock, and go from there.

Lol now THAT sounds like Dick Jauron. "Well we went three and out with 2 line plunges and an incomplete pass but NE is down to 1 timout and has over 2 minutes to go". Does that seriously make sense to you with the Bills track record against Brady?

We correctly decided we needed to score. The fact that we didn't isn't relevant. We needed 1st downs in that circumstance not playing not to lose.

Bill Cody
09-24-2013, 10:23 AM

2) Nor will the Bills.

I am beginning to state that whining *****es are inevitable on a Bills board.

HAMMER
09-24-2013, 11:19 AM
No it isn't, he hasn't done anything, nothing, but try his way. No adjustments, his selection of Hackett shows that he doesn't know what he's doing, and Pettine's D is worse than Gailey's D and Gailey wasn't even a defensive guy.

We've been sold yet another bill-of-goods. Or at least some of us were. The rest pointed out what should have been obvious at the time that the selection is made.

But when the reasons for hiring are that some other crap team would have hired him, or a .500 record built on a second rate team in a second-rate conference with wins at the hands of D-IAA schools and other Big East rivals that also suck, what do we expect.

This tenure should push us to 20 seasons without a playoff win and probably 16 seasons without a playoff appearance.

Assuming that Wilson doesn't croak first when the team moves. At least that will put us out of our misery.

Do us all a favor and go jump off a bridge. Drama Queen.

HAMMER
09-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Hurry up everyone, 3 games in, it's time to jump off the Band Wagon, you wouldn't want to be the last one to say "I told you so."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/wagon-crash.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/wagon-crash.jpg.html)

Right. It's unreal how fickle most of you are. Last weeks rookie of the week is now crap, can't hit the broadside of a barn according to everyone here. Our rookie HC and OC are clueless today but last week they were the bees knees. It couldn't have anything to do with playing a top tier defense on the road, a team that has been in every game they have played and made the almighty look like a mere mortal (Brady). Just simmer down, it's going to be a long year of growing pains. Anyone that expected us to win the division or make the playoffs hasn't a clue. We stood in with the Pats, we beat the Panthers who just whalloped the Giants. It isn't as bad as you want to make it seem. If we lose to the Browns in two weeks then it's time to panic, until then.......

trapezeus
09-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Im still confused why i haven't seen a play action for the bills in say the last 5 years. The jets were rushing everyone. we were clearly running every first down. was there no time to think, "hey' let's show what they are expecting and then kind of fake it."

The play action has been missing in buffalo for 5 years. Do we need to get a bill board campaign to bring it back?