• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Loyalty and undue Patience have no place in professional sports

As I'm watching MNF, watching Manning and crew dissect the fadezzz I thought about Tebow and Josh McDaniels. What if the Broncos stuck with those two decisions? Because "you gotta give things time to develop". Where would they be? Rhetorical question of course. How about the Red Sox? They hire that bum Valentine, he sucks of course, they launch him at end of season. Next season with new Manager they win the NL East in dominant fashion. Bledsoe gets his job back after his injury...Patriots never become a dynasty. Trent Green gets his job back after injury, there's no greatest show on turf. What's my point? Act quickly when something is clearly not working (or is), the evidence will usually be clear, act on it QUICKLY. Don't wait 3 years. That's why winners win. Not because they're perfect decision makers, but because they can make adjustments quickly and decisively. EJ shouldn't automatically get 3 Years, nor should Marrone...the evidence will show much sooner than that whether either/both belong or not
  • TheBrownBear
    • Dec 2004

Re: Loyalty and undue Patience have no place in professional sports

Agree. Haven't liked what I've seen from EJ and Marrone but let's at least give them the season and then evaluate. If they aren't showing serious improvement cut ties and move on.

Comment

• Syderick
      • Apr 2006

Raiders have been switching HC/QB's year after year and still haven't gotten anywhere. Though it does make sense to clean house if you can't make the previous season W-L.
      3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

plus it was pure genius that the broncos waited until that once a half-century when a HOF qb comes available for nuthin and picks your team to spend the last few productive years of his career on
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• JoeMama
          Emotion Sickness
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
          plus it was pure genius that the broncos waited until that once a half-century when a HOF qb comes available for nuthin and picks your team to spend the last few productive years of his career on
          Truth time.

Peyton Manning is a pile of puke compared to Tim Tebow.

Sure, Tebow can't find a job in the NFL. Sure, Tebow would have to compete just to be a second stringer in the CFL. Sure, Tebow can't complete more than 5 passes a game.

But he's WAY better than a future HOFer and Superbowl champion.

I know this for a fact because I read it on an internet forum. Multiple times. Fans are smart.
          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
            As I'm watching MNF, watching Manning and crew dissect the fadezzz I thought about Tebow and Josh McDaniels. What if the Broncos stuck with those two decisions? Because "you gotta give things time to develop". Where would they be? Rhetorical question of course. How about the Red Sox? They hire that bum Valentine, he sucks of course, they launch him at end of season. Next season with new Manager they win the NL East in dominant fashion. Bledsoe gets his job back after his injury...Patriots never become a dynasty. Trent Green gets his job back after injury, there's no greatest show on turf. What's my point? Act quickly when something is clearly not working (or is), the evidence will usually be clear, act on it QUICKLY. Don't wait 3 years. That's why winners win. Not because they're perfect decision makers, but because they can make adjustments quickly and decisively. EJ shouldn't automatically get 3 Years, nor should Marrone...the evidence will show much sooner than that whether either/both belong or not
            Agreed. That's why I wanted the EJ experiment to start Day 1. Marrone will only go as far as EJ or any QB takes him.

Although the Red Sox hiring of Bobby V was an excellent move. He helped get rid of all the problem child's on that team.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Oye vey....

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                the only examples that work here are the Broncos getting rid of Tebow after winning a playoff game, and the Red Sox firing Valentine after 1 season, tho his season was a complete disaster, not many coaches in any organization would have survived that. If Bledsoe never got hurt, they likely would not have known about Brady. Same w/ the Rams and Kurt Warner. Those are hardly adjustments.

Brady and Warner fired off a bunch of wins in a row, would have made no sense to give the injured their starting job back.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Turf
                  • Jul 2002

The guy to quickly re evaluate is Hackett. He's holding these guys back more than Wanny did. Bad decision.
                  Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                    • Aug 2012

But Manning didn't win the Super Bowl last year.

They should not have been patient and loyal to him.

Comment

• BuffRanger
                      • Sep 2004

Giving Gailey 3 years was idiotic. It was obvious after his first year that it was time to move on. Just simple math shows 4 wins is worse than 6 wins. His last two years were just a waste of time.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by BuffRanger View Post
                        Giving Gailey 3 years was idiotic. It was obvious after his first year that it was time to move on. Just simple math shows 4 wins is worse than 6 wins. His last two years were just a waste of time.
                        That's what happens when you have a new coach, new defensive scheme, etc...

It's called re-building.

You can't expect instant results.

Comment

• mjt328
                          • May 2011

I think that 99 percent of the time, you can tell whether a player/coach will be a success or failure in less than 2 seasons.

Every once in awhile you get a late bloomer... Eli Manning, CJ Spiller, Drew Brees, for instance.

But most of the time, Blaine Gabbert turns out to be Blaine Gabbert.
                          2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                          Posted During the 2013 Draft
                          1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                          2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                          3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                          4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                          5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                          6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                          7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                          1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                          2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                          3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                          4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                          5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                          6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                          7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

You would have hated Elway in his rookie year. Mistakes galore and constantly getting benched for cement shoes Steve Deberg. Steve Young was terrible in Tampa..I could go on and on. The only QB looking great right out of the gate was Marino.

Got to give then at least 1-2 years. Injuries drove some of your logic and Tebow had 3-4 decent games, then film exposed all his faults and he was done. I'm not making excuses at all but it seems like you've already made up your mind and are ready to bail....after 3 games !
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• PTI
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

This is exactly why I would have fired Marv Levy after he lost Super Bowl number 2, 3, and 4. Heck, he was out coached badly in Super Bowl 1, and ran a country club, let players rule the roost, and was a glorified cheerleader, with someone who was tougher the Bills would have won a Super Bowl.
                              Last edited by PTI; 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X