PDA

View Full Version : Workout Tuesday - 3 FB's this morning

DBrown77
09-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Looks like the bills are working out "several" players today. This may be the norm for most NFL teams on Tuesdays. So far they have worked out 3 FB's which makes it appear Frank Summers isnt safe.

John Connor - Former NYJ FB
Quinn Johnson -Former Packer
Zach Boren - Former Texan Practice squad player

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/

Hopefully they work out some DB's later

pmoon6
09-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Looks like the bills are working out "several" players today. This may be the norm for most NFL teams on Tuesdays. So far they have worked out 3 FB's which makes it appear Frank Summers isnt safe.

John Connor - Former NYJ FB
Quinn Johnson -Former Packer
Zach Boren - Former Texan Practice squad player

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/

Hopefully they work out some DB's laterWe may go to the "three yards and a cloud of dust approach" against the Ravens. If we don't keep the chains moving and the ball out of Flacco's hand, he will pick us apart with our depleted secondary.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I see it that with the Colin Brown struggle (just watch the Jets game), they may need someone back there who can help blocking

stuckincincy
09-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Sign Connor. He was an agonizing, difficult cut by CIN.

Bold of you to mention fullback. I did it during the pre season, mentioning the loss of Levitre, a rookie QB, the necessity to toss lead blocks for Spiller. Got the usual flak from those helicopter parent kids who post here.

They worked 2nd year TE Orson Charles at H-back in the ps...decided that if he was cut, he was gone. I entertained the thought that with the NE TE problems, a deal for Charles might have been in the works, and they could keep Connor. They drafted Eifert, had Gresham. Charles has good potential - definitely should have gotten more snaps last season - I would have kept Connor and extracted whatever choice I could for Charles.

Connor was decidedly superior in the blocking role - he was picked up in the last third of the season after FB Chris Pressley went down earlier - and rejuvenated Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis' fortunes.

RedEyE
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
I really don't really think they need a FB in addition to Summers. I'd love to see a variation of the spreadbone/wishbone with a combination of Fred Jax and Spiller in the backfield. The versatility from this set would provide decent pass coverage as well as open the short passing game.

stuckincincy
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd love to see a variation of the spreadbone/wishbone with a combination of Fred Jax and Spiller in the backfield. The versatility from this set would provide decent pass coverage as well as open the short passing game.

I can't see how a club with a so-so OL and a rookie qb could do that.

trapezeus
09-24-2013, 01:38 PM
what's wrong with summers to fill that role? why is this necessary

RedEyE
09-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I can't see how a club with a so-so OL and a rookie qb could do that.
It's simple football really and doesn't require a significant adjustment for the QB. The backs offer additional protection as well as keep the linebackers honest. From this set the back can run wheel routes, keep one back, keep both back, pull the ball and run, delay screen.......

The level of talent these backs offer are infinite. But alas all of this is a pipe dream.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
what's wrong with summers to fill that role? why is this necessary

Is Summers any good? Connor is at least a proven player. Hell, MacIntyre is available if he cleared up that legal issue he had in the offseason. We know he has chemistry with both backs.

trapezeus
09-24-2013, 05:11 PM
my point is that we have a FB who had two nice catches in the CAR game and some contributions (albeit negative ones) in ST.

If we are adding a FB role that is significantly higher, why is summers not good enough to do that now?

the team needs DB's and OL.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-24-2013, 05:51 PM
my point is that we have a FB who had two nice catches in the CAR game and some contributions (albeit negative ones) in ST.

If we are adding a FB role that is significantly higher, why is summers not good enough to do that now?

Why? I don't know, I haven't seen enough of him to tell. I do know that Connor is a very good lead blocker and that's what I want more of in this offense.

the team needs DB's and OL.

They are not mutually exclusive. What the OP failed to quote was:

I am being told that the Bills will have several others working out later on today, but this morning was a fullback work out.

So hopefully they worked out some in the afternoon.

DynaPaul
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Seriously, just sign The Terminator already.

Meathead
09-24-2013, 06:12 PM
wishbone just flat out doesnt work in the nfl. the formation is too compressed, defenses have to defend less and they take advantage. unless you put somebody back there in motion every play, then it really isnt wishbone its just movement to decipher coverages

putting spiller out wider wouldnt hurt

Turf
09-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Actually Will Farrell is our offensive coordinator. When cornered by the coaching staff about his play calling, he just kept screaming, "I need a Fullback, I need a Fullback, some get me a ******* fullback......So today they're trying out FB's.

RedEyE
09-24-2013, 08:50 PM
wishbone just flat out doesnt work in the nfl. the formation is too compressed, defenses have to defend less and they take advantage. unless you put somebody back there in motion every play, then it really isnt wishbone its just movement to decipher coverages

putting spiller out wider wouldnt hurt

I respectfully disagree. The same was said for the spread offense, the wildcat formation and the play option. Its a different NFL man.

Albany,n.y.
09-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Seriously, just sign The Terminator already.

The Giants did. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250434/article/john-conner-new-york-giants-sign-contract

DynaPaul
09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
The Giants did. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250434/article/john-conner-new-york-giants-sign-contract

I saw that today... ****ers!