PDA

View Full Version : EJ Knows Long Completions are needed

ghz in pittsburgh
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/09/24/ej-knows-connecting-downfield-a-must/

I gotta say that the 4th down play where he threw out of bounds targeting Wood was just out of my mind. And apparently marrone thought so too as he grabbed EJ when he came off the field. I'd bet anything he's giving EJ what I was going to say to him: you gotta give your receiver a chance - It's 4th down for God sakes!!!!!

coastal
09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
And EJ didn't want to hear anything from him...

justasportsfan
09-24-2013, 12:58 PM
what pisses me off is that instead of taking a chance deep he dinks the ball too. I don't care if he gets intercepted trying to go deep , the jets would have a long field to go.

The only great thing about dinking the ball or 3rd or 4th downs and not getting a 1st down it that Powell is getting a lot of reps. :ill:

trapezeus
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
the bills aren't even running great routes for the dinking. other teams are running short patterns where the first receiver has space to run because the other receivers are manning up and blocking down field. the bills are just running short patterns, but no one is setting up the secondary block to spring the guy if he catches an accurate pass.

So EJ isn't very accurate on those short passes and other than that one nice long run by SJ in the carolina game, those passes haven't really existed.

I think they should start getting EJ comfortabl throwing those bubble screens early, get into 2nd and 5 and then play action run and run. Then the hurry up pace gets you a first down.

THis run run pass offense is boring, uninspired and leaving the defense in a position to bail them out.

Buffalogic
09-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Knowing and executing are two different things. At this point, I'm legitimately worried about the accuracy and EJ's long term prospects to become a successful NFL qb.

justasportsfan
09-24-2013, 01:44 PM
At this point, I'm legitimately worried about the accuracy and EJ's long term prospects to become a successful NFL qb.

this is my biggest worry too. When qb's are tentative and arent confident they can make the throw, they are going to hold on to the ball and when they finally pull the trigger, they are off .

He's got the arm, someone needs to find a way to make him grow a pair. Fitz didn't have the arm but he had the balls to throw it.

stuckincincy
09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Nothing wrong with taking that long shot time to time. The stars align, the db trips, etc.

Just do it with a sideline streak with this roster. You don't want an interception grabbed by a center fielder with room to juke 'n jive. I don't think of the BUF receiving corps as having the leaping ability and height to work the high long center pass patern. The speedsters Graham and Goodwin...why they spent a high choice with the Fitz scheme on Graham, then repeated it with selecting Goodwin along with a rookie qb...beats me.

Maybe Easley - dunno. I'd give him snaps based on ps play.

BuffRanger
09-24-2013, 02:41 PM
EJ needs help. As terrible as Manuel was, i'm way more disappointed with the rest of the vets. The only guy who has stepped it up, predictably, is FJax. And if there's a problem there it's that Freddy's not getting the starts. Stevie's been average. Chandler has been invisible. Spiller has been terrible. These are the guys who are supposed to be making plays to get EJ's confidence up and make it easy on him. The Vets have failed. Watching the game i was blaming the playcalling, but ****. When your starting RB has 9 yards on 10 carries and the QB is 1-5 with 1 yard, how much can you really expand the play book?

justasportsfan
09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Stevie's been average. Chandler has been invisible. I'm blaming that on EJ.

WagonCircler
09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
On some of those long, fly balls he threw I was looking for Brett Gardner to run in and wave off Granderson-- "I got it!"

I don't think I've ever seen a guy put that much air under the ball on deep passes. Even if they had been catchable--they weren't even CLOSE--he needs to realize that those Texas Leaguers he's throwing allow the DBs to close on the Wideouts, neutralizing and speed advantage the guys like Woods and Graham might give you. And since those guys aren't very big, they're not going to "go up and get it."

I'm baffled by so much of what I've seen so far.

PTI
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Chandler was the only guy that had a chance to win the game last week, whether streaking down the middle or posting up Charles Barkley style, he fought off the line, and was able to set up shop.

coastal
09-24-2013, 04:01 PM
After Baltimore dismantles him, he will have Cleveland left to redeem himself before the Tuelheads will be in full adhān.

DesertFox24
09-24-2013, 05:41 PM
This whole mantra of dink and dunker is just crazy.

Brady has had one year where he threw deep a lot but his super bowl winning teams he was dinking and dunking his way down the field and winning games. Montana was a dink and dunker.

Bottom line is the offense is really young and inexperienced and there are going to be growing pains.

I said after the draft the best thing would be for EJ to sit this year and a vet qb play because of all the youth at WR, unfortunately due to injuries that did not happen so games like Sunday are to be expected.

Peyton was terrible his rookie year folks, I think we just need to see if he gets better and better. The one thing that gives me any sense of optimizim is that he seems to learn from his mistakes and not repeat them. Hopefully this is true and he grows and we have a keeper.

BillsFever21
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
On some of those long, fly balls he threw I was looking for Brett Gardner to run in and wave off Granderson-- "I got it!"

I don't think I've ever seen a guy put that much air under the ball on deep passes. Even if they had been catchable--they weren't even CLOSE--he needs to realize that those Texas Leaguers he's throwing allow the DBs to close on the Wideouts, neutralizing and speed advantage the guys like Woods and Graham might give you. And since those guys aren't very big, they're not going to "go up and get it."

I'm baffled by so much of what I've seen so far.

They were a bunch of can of corns as they would say in MLB terms. A safety could be in the the middle of the field and easily run down them passes to double the receiver or intercept/break up the pass.

BuffaloRedleg
09-25-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm as bummed as anybody, but it's just crazy the expectations QBs have these days fresh out of college. Manning was horribly raw his first year in the league. Now guys are taking their teams to the playoffs.

I really don't know what to make of this league anymore, things are changing too fast for me to keep up.

BuffaloRedleg
09-25-2013, 12:06 AM
After Baltimore dismantles him, he will have Cleveland left to redeem himself before the Tuelheads will be in full adhān.

Absolutely no way anyone other than Manuel should finish the season.

If we are going down, then he's taking us with him.

We will know by the end of the season if he has potential (not saying necessarily great success) or if we need to use that top 5 pick on a QB.

trapezeus
09-25-2013, 11:50 AM
if EJ was playing behind last year's line it'd be easier to say "he doesn't have it". but he's playing behind a bunch of backups who don't mind getting punchedin the mouth every sunday.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-25-2013, 12:17 PM
This whole mantra of dink and dunker is just crazy.

Brady has had one year where he threw deep a lot but his super bowl winning teams he was dinking and dunking his way down the field and winning games. Montana was a dink and dunker.

Brady and Montana are two of the most accurate QBs of all time. If you are going to run that offense, the QB needs to make the right read and hit a window that can be measured in inches - not feet. Manuel hasn't shown that ability. And why, for that matter, would we draft a 6'4 240 lb man mountain to throw 5 yard ins?

DesertFox24
09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Brady and Montana are two of the most accurate QBs of all time. If you are going to run that offense, the QB needs to make the right read and hit a window that can be measured in inches - not feet. Manuel hasn't shown that ability. And why, for that matter, would we draft a 6'4 240 lb man mountain to throw 5 yard ins?

I am not disputing that he has not shown the accuracy, and I definitely want to have an element of a vertical passing game which will open up he passing game and running game.

That being said the whole dink and dunker being a bad thing is crazy, what matters is i you win the game and that is what I was trying to point out.

justasportsfan
09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I dont mind the dink and dunk if you can hit it to begin with but you should be able to make defenses pay with intermediate throws to deep when they dare you to. Teams covered short to intermediate once they figured Fitz was inaccurate deep.

Anyway it was reported that Ej was pissed that he and Tuel worked out on their passes on their day off.... Tuesday