PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Complexity

Typ0
09-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I kept thinking to myself when a new coaching staff was hired what one piece of advice I would give them so I could have a baseline to guage my criticism of their performance. What I came up with was for them to keep it simple and master the simple then add things. In the past we have had coaches immediately installing the entire scope of their playbook, the team performing poorly and then near mid season, after defeats, the players clamoring for some simplicity.

I'd like to think we are seeing a different approach here...the one that necessitates being ready to move forward not taking that step backwards. I'm not sure of a simpler game plan than I have seen from an NFL offense as I saw last week. Yes, it was horrible to watch and for a spectator made everyone look bad. But what are the consequences of this approach?

Before the season started I heard Marrone in an interview state his philosophy and that of the coaches he picked--it was aligned with the advice I had on my mind. I was pleased to hear this. So they want mastery of the simple before they layer in complexities. It might not look good and might lead to losses. However, it's a long term vision of winning as a franchise that takes precedence over the mini-wins. People have to stick by their ideas. Once they get your running from your own structure you are doomed.

So I think this is another source of hope. A methodical approach that demands mastery before moving forward. If the team continues to lose I doubt we will be hearing the call to dumb things down this season. There was a play in the JETS game we had a 3rd and 1 and I felt the oline got that yard. I can't remember the last time I saw that. It was a real bright spot for me because I believe in a very simple way you have that play and when you need a yard you run it -- even if the defense knows it's coming you get that yard consistently and it makes for putting check marks in your win column. Then, by late in the 3rd and 4th quarters the field is wide open when you need a yard as well. A similar phenomena happens with the medium range passing game. You dictate to the defense something simple they need to stop and you get an advantage...but it has to be simple and you have to execute it well every time.

My point here is...I'm not getting too flustered with these guys yet. I actually think the ineptness might be a good sign that we are finally engaged in the right process to become a competitive team. Yes, that will require success from the players especially the quarterback position. But this process supports their development as opposed to hinders it. Isn't that what we have been asking for?

PTI
09-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Maybe EJ is not making the right calls at the line? Looks to me like the Bills WRs got blasted many of the times at the line and could never get out, and when they did, they simply ran down the sideline and draped by the Jets CBs.

coastal
09-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Let's simplify.... We don't have enough talent on this team.

justasportsfan
09-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I think in time we'll get better. The team is learning a new system where they are rushed and it may cause confusion especially with young players. IMO, once they get more familiar and comfortable they will eventually be on the same page.

In Kelly's rookie year the bills were ranked 19th. Next year 16 ,then 12. Wasn't til' his 4th(?) year when the bills when they finally made top 5.

Typ0
09-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Maybe EJ is not making the right calls at the line? Looks to me like the Bills WRs got blasted many of the times at the line and could never get out, and when they did, they simply ran down the sideline and draped by the Jets CBs.

I agree...and part of my point is that the right calls are not available to him too. That will come with time...instead of having a head full and then not making the right call and having the coaches looking at him like he has a processing problem.

- - - Updated - - -

That is true. On top of that we really don't know how talented these young guys are yet. They need to process and adjust.

Typ0
09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I think in time we'll get better. The team is learning a new system where they are rushed and it may cause confusion especially with young players. IMO, once they get more familiar and comfortable they will eventually be on the same page.

In Kelly's rookie year the bills were ranked 19th. Next year 16 ,then 12. Wasn't til' his 4th(?) year when the bills when they finally made top 5.

Yep, and the system is not all there...which looks bad right now but puts them in a position to move forward instead of getting to a point of taking a step backwards.

stuckincincy
09-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I kept thinking to myself when a new coaching staff was hired what one piece of advice I would give them so I could have a baseline to guage my criticism of their performance. What I came up with was for them to keep it simple and master the simple then add things. In the past we have had coaches immediately installing the entire scope of their playbook, the team performing poorly and then near mid season, after defeats, the players clamoring for some simplicity.

I'd like to think we are seeing a different approach here...the one that necessitates being ready to move forward not taking that step backwards. I'm not sure of a simpler game plan than I have seen from an NFL offense as I saw last week. Yes, it was horrible to watch and for a spectator made everyone look bad. But what are the consequences of this approach?

Before the season started I heard Marrone in an interview state his philosophy and that of the coaches he picked--it was aligned with the advice I had on my mind. I was pleased to hear this. So they want mastery of the simple before they layer in complexities. It might not look good and might lead to losses. However, it's a long term vision of winning as a franchise that takes precedence over the mini-wins. People have to stick by their ideas. Once they get your running from your own structure you are doomed.

So I think this is another source of hope. A methodical approach that demands mastery before moving forward. If the team continues to lose I doubt we will be hearing the call to dumb things down this season. There was a play in the JETS game we had a 3rd and 1 and I felt the oline got that yard. I can't remember the last time I saw that. It was a real bright spot for me because I believe in a very simple way you have that play and when you need a yard you run it -- even if the defense knows it's coming you get that yard consistently and it makes for putting check marks in your win column. Then, by late in the 3rd and 4th quarters the field is wide open when you need a yard as well. A similar phenomena happens with the medium range passing game. You dictate to the defense something simple they need to stop and you get an advantage...but it has to be simple and you have to execute it well every time.

My point here is...I'm not getting too flustered with these guys yet. I actually think the ineptness might be a good sign that we are finally engaged in the right process to become a competitive team. Yes, that will require success from the players especially the quarterback position. But this process supports their development as opposed to hinders it. Isn't that what we have been asking for?

Some of your football points I agree with, some I disagree with.

I want to compliment you on your posting. Clear, informative, well constructed, honestly written. Perfect transmission of your thought . I don't know that you do, but you write well - find a way with that.

stuckincincy
09-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Edit after the time limit imposed by this site, TypO:

"I don't know that you do, but you write well - find a way with that." , changes to "You write well - find a way to use that."

mjt328
09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
There is a difference between "simplicity" and "predictability."

It's possible to disguise what they are doing (so the defense doesn't key in), but still keep the reads easy for the rookie quarterback.

Right now, the defense is loading the box on early downs - knowing there is a 90 percent chance we will run a draw between the tackles and a 10 percent chance that EJ keeps it and runs himself.

coastal
09-24-2013, 05:34 PM
That is true. On top of that we really don't know how talented these young guys are yet. They need to process and adjust.
Screw that. Kiko appears to be processing just fine.

im so over waiting for the baby.

SpikedLemonade
09-24-2013, 05:43 PM

"But Buddy was a genius...."

The homers can never admit the problem is a lack of talent because a lack of talent means it will take longer for this team to be a winner.

Easier to blame the coaches who can be gotten rid of much easier than 53 players.

This team is and has been lacking in an average level of talent of over a decade.

coastal
09-24-2013, 05:53 PM
"But Buddy was a genius...."

The homers can never admit the problem is a lack of talent because a lack of talent means it will take longer for this team to be a winner.

Easier to blame the coaches who can be gotten rid of much easier than 53 players.

This team is and has been lacking in an average level of talent of over a decade.
The parking lot horde still hasn't caught onto the three year flush scam yet.

Typ0
09-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I think those last few comments are pretty accurate. I'm not going to make excuses about that stuff because I have been saying the same thing for years. However, I also have been saying the following statements within that time frame.

If you look at yourself over time you grow and learn. With those things comes change in the way you process and approach challenges. If you then look at the outcomes they inform your processing and approach to challenges as time goes on. We all work the same way...including Ralph Wilson.

If you look at the history of his ownership it's hard to say he has never gotten the players it takes to win. I think he really got burned with Tom Donahoe and got scared. Donahoe did something Wilson had never seen despite all the ups and downs of the franchise over the years -- he alienated the fans. Subsequently Wilson brought in an incompetent Levy to manage the team. He didn't know the ins and outs of that job which was evidenced in his press conferences. It was a feel good thing for the fans but it was a bad move and set the organization back. Wilson himself is aging and not competent in these areas as evidenced in his press conferences. I can remember him babbling and not even knowing what day it was.

I'd like to leave a little room for the possibility that he can still grow and learn. Perhaps he understands now other people need to do it. And hopefully we have people in place that can get it done. The financial constraints none of us know anything about. I just would like to think we have young energetic minds who are competent enough to do they best that can be done given the parameters they have to work within. That is a step above bumbling idiots and should put the team in a better position for the future.

DraftBoy
09-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Screw that. Kiko appears to be processing just fine.

im so over waiting for the baby.

Making splash plays does not equate to processing just fine. He's still often out of position and bites hard on fakes when the QB tries to move him. It's nice to see him making big plays but he has some very noticeable and now targeted fundamental flaws that he needs to clean up as well.

coastal
09-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Making splash plays does not equate to processing just fine. He's still often out of position and bites hard on fakes when the QB tries to move him. It's nice to see him making big plays but he has some very noticeable and now targeted fundamental flaws that he needs to clean up as well.
Sure... but he's showing why he was drafted where he was.

EJ would be hard pressed to say the same right now... as would a whole slew of others.

The point... youth doesn't impress me nor is it an excuse.

make plays or get the **** off the field.

justasportsfan
09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
EJ would be hard pressed to say the same right now... as would a whole slew of others.

Last sunday ,EJ played exactly like what people have been saying about him coming out of the draft. Only reason why he was drafted high is because he was the tallest midget in this draft according to some.