PDA

View Full Version : Rolston fined by NHL

Crisis
09-24-2013, 04:10 PM
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/382607063094149120

Sabres coach Ron Rolston fined by the NHL for "player selection and team conduct" after Sunday's brawl-filled game vs. the Leafs

What a joke. Fining a coach for PLAYER SELECTION?

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Good. The entire incident was an embarrassment for the Sabres, Leafs and NHL.

They need to crack down on this ****

ckg927
09-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Good. The entire incident was an embarrassment for the Sabres, Leafs and NHL.

They need to crack down on this ****

Then if that's the case, the NHL should have cracked down on Randy Carlyle too.

DetDannyWilliams
09-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Scott was on the ice after Tropp's goal and ensuing fight! Leafs had last change so it was Carlyle's choice to put his top line out! so how does Rolston get fined for player selection and team conduct? Rolston should appeal this!

SabreEleven
09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
So Rolston got fined for an unwritten rule and Kessel got 3 games...3 preseason games...This league is a joke.

Crisis
09-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Scott was on the ice after Tropp's goal and ensuing fight! Leafs had last change so it was Carlyle's choice to put his top line out! so how does Rolston get fined for player selection and team conduct? Rolston should appeal this!

LW is completely right for once.

ckg927
09-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Channel 2's Adam Benigni must be reading this thread, because he came out with both barrels blazing...ESPECIALLY on the Kessel suspension.

They just ran his take on Daybreak(and I suspect it'll be up soon on WGRZ's website).

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2013, 06:16 AM
The easy part for Brendan Shanahan came Monday, when the NHL's chief disciplinarian handed down a 10-game suspension to David Clarkson for leaving the bench during the Sabres-Leafs melee. The rule for such an infraction is clear, the suspension automatic and severe.

Shanahan had a tougher call Tuesday before suspending Phil Kessel for three preseason games, essentially giving him a few days in the timeout chair. The Leafs winger turned his stick into a sickle with the intentions of cutting down a tree, namely 6-foot-8, 270-pound redwood John Scott, at the trunk.

Kessel's actions warranted punishment based on recklessness born from fear. As bad as it looked, he didn't cause any real harm. In any given game, you'll find three slashes that do more damage but are less obvious and aren't penalized. Kessel showed enough wits to swing for Scott's legs, creating the space he needed, rather than his head.

You don't think Shanahan went far enough with his punishment? I agree, but probably for an entirely different reason. He should have suspended Scott for starting the bloody mess when he attacked Kessel. If he doesn't start with Kessel, Kessel doesn't respond.

The entire altercation - the whole thing - could have been avoided if Sabres coach Ron Rolston used a shred of common sense. He didn't need to take Scott off the ice. He needed to make sure Scott didn't do anything moronic on the ice. Instead, he stood there and watched the big guy initiate the shenanigans that followed.

Looking for someone to blame?

Start with Rolston and Scott before you arrive at Kessel.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/many-earn-blame-in-brawl-20130925

Great article!

chernobylwraiths
09-25-2013, 06:44 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/many-earn-blame-in-brawl-20130925

Great article!

Actually it is a bunch of crap.

The easy part for Brendan Shanahan came Monday, when the NHL's chief disciplinarian handed down a 10-game suspension to David Clarkson for leaving the bench during the Sabres-Leafs melee. The rule for such an infraction is clear, the suspension automatic and severe.
This is true

Shanahan had a tougher call Tuesday before suspending Phil Kessel for three preseason games, essentially giving him a few days in the timeout chair. The Leafs winger turned his stick into a sickle with the intentions of cutting down a tree, namely 6-foot-8, 270-pound redwood John Scott, at the trunk.
Hahaha, yeah John Scott is a big man, but most people know that you don't cut down a tree with a sickle. That's like using nail clippers to cut through a chain link fence.

Kessel's actions warranted punishment based on recklessness born from fear. As bad as it looked, he didn't cause any real harm. In any given game, you'll find three slashes that do more damage but are less obvious and aren't penalized. Kessel showed enough wits to swing for Scott's legs, creating the space he needed, rather than his head.
And here is the crappy "it didn't do any damage" defense. I wonder how unharmful it is to have your legs slashed with a two hander? I bet it doesn't feel good, especially when you are lying on the ice with two guys on top of you. And I believe people who are very tall have more problems with their legs because humans aren't supposed to grow that tall.

You don't think Shanahan went far enough with his punishment? I agree, but probably for an entirely different reason. He should have suspended Scott for starting the bloody mess when he attacked Kessel. If he doesn't start with Kessel, Kessel doesn't respond.
Well, how do you suspend someone for grabbing at someone? For intent? Personally, I think Scott would have just ragdolled Kessel around and not actually hit him.

The entire altercation - the whole thing - could have been avoided if Sabres coach Ron Rolston used a shred of common sense. He didn't need to take Scott off the ice. He needed to make sure Scott didn't do anything moronic on the ice. Instead, he stood there and watched the big guy initiate the shenanigans that followed.
Scott was put on the ice almost immediately, he was talking to the Leafs bench. Everyone KNEW what he wanted to do, including Carlyle. And at that point, Rolston couldn't pull his guy off the ice. Carlyle decided to put hit top line on the ice to show up Rolston. He was saying "go ahead and try something now" (like Rolston has Scott on some kind of mind control).
Looking for someone to blame?

Start with Rolston and Scott before you arrive at Kessel.
Nothing on Carlyle, the guy (who has been known to like throwing his tough guys out on the ice) gets no mention.
I agree that Scott shouldn't have grabbed at Kessel, but I don't have a problem with Rolston putting Scott onto the ice. And Kessel only gets a pass on the first slash to get away from the monster. The last slash at an engaged Scott from behind was cowardly as was the poke at the end of the fracas while Scott is engaged with another player and an official.

SabreEleven
09-25-2013, 06:59 AM
What rule did Rolston break? he legally kept a player on the ice is worse than Kessel swing his stick like a light saber.

DraftBoy
09-25-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't follow hockey as closely as I used to (just lost interest and got bored with it) but the video I saw was disgusting. Everybody involved should of been suspended and fined. Coaches included.

chernobylwraiths
09-25-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't follow hockey as closely as I used to (just lost interest and got bored with it) but the video I saw was disgusting. Everybody involved should of been suspended and fined. Coaches included.

Yes, you obviously don't follow hockey.

chernobylwraiths
09-25-2013, 07:42 AM
I would expect an overreaction like that (everybody should be suspended) from someone who has never heard of the sport.

chernobylwraiths
09-25-2013, 07:50 AM
and for a little perspective, you should watch the fight that preceeded that one. Corey Tropp who had just scored a goal which brought the score to a one goal game ended up fighting one of their tough guys. Why is the question, but since Tropp is concussed he isn't really taking questions now. But that was why Scott was put on the ice.

DraftBoy
09-25-2013, 08:09 AM
I would expect an overreaction like that (everybody should be suspended) from someone who has never heard of the sport.

Explain to me then oh wise one, what was the reason Scott immediately began to fight Kessel before the draw?

DraftBoy
09-25-2013, 08:15 AM
and for a little perspective, you should watch the fight that preceeded that one. Corey Tropp who had just scored a goal which brought the score to a one goal game ended up fighting one of their tough guys. Why is the question, but since Tropp is concussed he isn't really taking questions now. But that was why Scott was put on the ice.

I saw that fight, it was part of the video from the other thread from TSN. Tropp got concussed because the refs didn't step in when his helmet came off and he fell backwards. It wasn't like there was some attempt to put Tropp on his head it just happened.

chernobylwraiths
09-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Explain to me then oh wise one, what was the reason Scott immediately began to fight Kessel before the draw?

Well, to fight there has to be two combatents AND at least one punch has to be thrown, so you can't characterize that as a fight. Scott tried to grab him (and I did say that was a bad and stupid decision IMO) but he said that he was going to do that to whomever was lined up next to him. The other coach put him out there KNOWING Scott was already on the ice and couldn't come off and KNOWING that Scott wanted to start something. So IMO Carlyle bears some culpability.

But, oh wise one, you would suspend everyone involved then, even though some of the players were only out trying to tie up a guy or prevent one of their own guys from being hacked (Flynn) or one of their star players from being jumped by a goon (the two Toronto guys)? I don't believe everyone "involved" threw punches.

SkateZilla
09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
LW is completely right for once.

Dont ever say that again please.. lol..

As for the Coaches fine, How does the NHL Fine a coach for putting out players that are on the roster?.

- Player Selection, Rolston put the Enforcers out, Toronto Put out their Scoring Line, Just like Ottawa did with Spezza/Alfredsson years ago, Toronto had the 2nd change, The Coach made the decision to put those players out there.

- Player Conduct, How the Eff does Toronto's Coach not get fined?, Kessel was the one swinging his stick at Scott numerous times like a scared dweeb, then came back to spear him, All while Scott was being jumped by 3 players, One of Which Jumped off the Bench to join the Fight, then Bernier , Skated all the way to Miller's End to Whip Miller's butt.

So Toronto's Coach is the one that should be fined for Player Conduct.

Kessel's Suspension,

3 Pre-Season Games.... Whoooopity Doo, they mean nothing, as He doesnt Forfeit any Pay, and he doesnt miss any Time other than exhibitions that he prolly wasnt going to play in.

SabreEleven
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Dont ever say that again please.. lol..

As for the Coaches fine, How does the NHL Fine a coach for putting out players that are on the roster?.

- Player Selection, Rolston put the Enforcers out, Toronto Put out their Scoring Line, Just like Ottawa did with Spezza/Alfredsson years ago, Toronto had the 2nd change, The Coach made the decision to put those players out there.

- Player Conduct, How the Eff does Toronto's Coach not get fined?, Kessel was the one swinging his stick at Scott numerous times like a scared dweeb, then came back to spear him, All while Scott was being jumped by 3 players, One of Which Jumped off the Bench to join the Fight, then Bernier , Skated all the way to Miller's End to Whip Miller's butt.

So Toronto's Coach is the one that should be fined for Player Conduct.

Kessel's Suspension,

3 Pre-Season Games.... Whoooopity Doo, they mean nothing, as He doesnt Forfeit any Pay, and he doesnt miss any Time other than exhibitions that he prolly wasnt going to play in.

While I agree with your post, actually Scott was already on the ice after the Troop fight. Rolston didn't put him on the ice, he was already there. The Toronto coach is getting fined but because one of his players left the bench to join an altercation. The NHL front office from Bettman on down have always hated the Sabres since the '99 Cup Final.

trapezeus
09-25-2013, 11:33 AM
i'm just surprised that shanahan wouldn't be disgusted by kessel. for the guys who do engage in fighting have to hate seeing kessel do something about 100x worse and get nothing, when the fighters are doing what is part of the game. I'd have thought who shanahan was as a player would have given kessel the boot.

i realize not everyone is a tough guy, but turtle and wait for your team to bail you out than to sit there taking swings with your stick.

i was at the islander/devils preseason game at Barclays Center. And there was a direct hit to the head intentionally to an islander and it went uncalled. the refs are letting this stuff get out of hand.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Saw last night that Tropp has a fractured jaw.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Shanahan is a joke. Favoritism is rampant. He and Bettman are ruining the game. Absolutely trashing it.

SabreEleven
09-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Look who else is pissed Rolston got finedhttp://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23856239/report-several-coaches-irate-at-ron-rolstons-player-selection-fine