PDA

View Full Version : OFV: The Bet

trapezeus
09-24-2013, 07:01 PM
http://www.billszone.com/?p=1241

I've now let you all down in a really spectacular way. I am eating breaded buffalo wings thanks to this loss.

HAMMER
09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Breaded wings can be good, Country Sweet in Rochester are my favorite wings on the planet (slight exaggeration as I have never eaten wings outside the US).

trapezeus
09-25-2013, 12:48 PM
i'm apparently eating them at the 40/40 club, jay z's sport bar. so not only are they breaded, they will be expensive.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
A breaded wing? Isn't that just a mcnugget with a bone in it?

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's the deal with breaded wings: they can be good if
A) they are served plain and you dip them in whatever sauce you choose as you are eating them, or
B) they are served with a sauce that isn't Buffalo wing sauce, like teriyaki or honey BBQ.

Breaded wings can be good but they are NOT Buffalo wings and should never be called Buffalo wings (not that anybody in WNY calls them that anyway) or be served with Buffalo style wing sauce.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
A breaded wing? Isn't that just a mcnugget with a bone in it?
Yes. See point A above.

Meathead
09-25-2013, 01:33 PM
when i lived in roch i had to stop going to country sweet cuz i was getting fat. those things are sick delicious and at least a thousand calories each. they also attract an awesomely watchable crowd, especially the store in the hood. ah memories

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Here's the deal with breaded wings: they can be good if
A) they are served plain and you dip them in whatever sauce you choose as you are eating them, or
B) they are served with a sauce that isn't Buffalo wing sauce, like teriyaki or honey BBQ.

Breaded wings can be good but they are NOT Buffalo wings and should never be called Buffalo wings (not that anybody in WNY calls them that anyway) or be served with Buffalo style wing sauce.

I should ban all of you for using the term "Buffalo Wing"

trapezeus
09-25-2013, 05:06 PM
outside of buffalo, you have to use the term buffalo wing or else you have some idiot making barbeque wings and inviting you for his buffalo style wing.

In buffalo, i only say wings.
elsewhere i say, buffalo wings and they must follow my high standards or i don't want them.

we also are dealing with buffalo wild wings where people are like, "i love their teriyaki wings." What the hell, man. if you make wings well, you only need to make one set of wings.

tomz
09-25-2013, 05:17 PM
outside of buffalo, you have to use the term buffalo wing or else you have some idiot making barbeque wings and inviting you for his buffalo style wing.

elsewhere i say, buffalo wings and they must follow my high standards or i don't want them.

we also are dealing with buffalo wild wings where people are like, "i love their teriyaki wings." What the hell, man. if you make wings well, you only need to make one set of wings.

I agree with the concern over the proliferation of wing 'flavors' , but at least we get a reasonable version of wings at Buffalo Wild Wings outside of Buffalo. Reliably so.

DynaPaul
09-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Hooter's sells breaded wings... I HATE Hooters.

HAMMER
09-25-2013, 06:00 PM
I don't agree with the one flavor BS. Franks Hot Sauce is not good IMO, too much vinegar. I love the sweet and spicy sauces, mostly Thai style sauces. Expand your horizons people, there is a whole new world out there.

better days
09-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Well, Hooters does have a GREAT atmosphere.................but yeah, the wings SUCK.

My son in-law used to love Hooters wings until I showed him what REAL Buffalo wings taste like.

better days
09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't agree with the one flavor BS. Franks Hot Sauce is not good IMO, too much vinegar. I love the sweet and spicy sauces, mostly Thai style sauces. Expand your horizons people, there is a whole new world out there.

I have no problem with breaded wings or flavored wings, but they should not be called Buffalo wings, they are NOT that.

Homegrown
09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
I should ban all of you for using the term "Buffalo Wing" yeah, but there'd go 1/2 the Zoners ....

better days
09-25-2013, 06:56 PM
yeah, but there'd go 1/2 the Zoners ....

I like the name Buffalo wings. It is like Philly Cheese steak.

A food that was created in the City it was named after.

The problem I have with Buffalo wings is since the rest of the Country discovered them, the price of Chicken wings has SKYROCKETED.

JoeMama
09-25-2013, 07:00 PM
What's the proper name for buffalo wings?

better days
09-25-2013, 07:04 PM

In the City of Buffalo & surrounding suburbs .......................the name is wings or chicken wings.

stuckincincy
09-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Prior to deep frying them and slathering them with hot sauce...offal.

Lobster was once considered a nuisance catch and fed to dogs or thrown into soil for fertilizer value until someone had the bright idea to pour clarified butter on 'em.

DBrown77
09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Breaded wings can be good, Country Sweet in Rochester are my favorite wings on the planet (slight exaggeration as I have never eaten wings outside the US).. You can buy their sauce on Amazon. The shipping cost sucks, but the sauce is worth it. I always stock up when I am in NY.

better days
09-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Prior to deep frying them and slathering them with hot sauce...offal.

Lobster was once considered a nuisance catch and fed to dogs or thrown into soil for fertilizer value until someone had the bright idea to pour clarified butter on 'em.

I LOVE Lobster Newburg myself.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Well, Hooters does have a GREAT atmosphere.................but yeah, the wings SUCK.

My son in-law used to love Hooters wings until I showed him what REAL Buffalo wings taste like.

Hooters is ****ing garbage. Their food is just greasy crap and their drinks are terrible. And most of them are laid out so the TV's you can see while sitting at the bar are directly over the deep fryers, so it's loud and hot.

Unfortunately, it's by far the closest place that shows UFC without a cover, so I do end up there when I can't get people to come over and split the cost of the PPV.

stuckincincy
09-25-2013, 07:48 PM
I LOVE Lobster Newburg myself.

Best way to serve lobster IMO.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 07:48 PM

I disagree slightly- I'll eat the teriyaki wings or other flavors at BWW because their Buffalo style wings suck, like all chains. I'd rather have a completely different flavor rather than eat wings with ****ty Buffalo style sauce.

stuckincincy
09-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I disagree slightly- I'll eat the teriyaki wings or other flavors at BWW because their Buffalo style wings suck, like all chains. I'd rather have a completely different flavor rather than eat wings with ****ty Buffalo style sauce.

Never went to a BWW, because I dislike their long-running ad campaign - which features folks lying to employers or depicting sports cheating.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Never went to a BWW, because I dislike their long-running ad campaign - which features folks lying to employers or depicting sports cheating.

I don't make a habit of it but I do go sometimes. When I lived in VA, there was one we used to go to for UFC fights, but word got out and now you have to get there by 8 if you want a table and by 9:30 if you want standing room.

There's a big outlet mall just south of Baltimore called Arundel Mills that has a BWW in it- I go there during hockey season sometimes cuz I can watch the Sabres and drink while my wife shops.

better days
09-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Hooters is ****ing garbage. Their food is just greasy crap and their drinks are terrible. And most of them are laid out so the TV's you can see while sitting at the bar are directly over the deep fryers, so it's loud and hot.

Unfortunately, it's by far the closest place that shows UFC without a cover, so I do end up there when I can't get people to come over and split the cost of the PPV.

The Hooters down here have TVs all over the place, even outside.

The Key West Hooters has the prettiest waitresses I have seen.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 11:11 PM
The Hooters down here have TVs all over the place, even outside.

The Key West Hooters has the prettiest waitresses I have seen.

There are a lot of colleges near me, so when college is in session, the waitresses are pretty hot. The rest of the time, meh- not bad but not good enough to make me tolerate the mediocre food and horrible drinks and deal with the wrath of my wife on top of that.

trapezeus
09-26-2013, 07:44 AM

I feel like this is a fine-able post. Is there a Billszone judicial system?

HAMMER
09-26-2013, 09:52 AM
If there were you would have been booted a long time ago Trap.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 10:06 AM
There are a lot of colleges near me, so when college is in session, the waitresses are pretty hot. The rest of the time, meh- not bad but not good enough to make me tolerate the mediocre food and horrible drinks and deal with the wrath of my wife on top of that.

You can usually sneak the Tilted Kilt and/or Twin Peaks by the wife if she's never heard of them. Not sure if you'd want to, but the option exists.

OpIv37
09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't think there is a twin peaks near here. There is a Tilted Kilt not too far away, but still a lot farther than the Hooters.

trapezeus
09-26-2013, 10:34 AM
If there were you would have been booted a long time ago Trap.

For what offense as grave as saying franks is no good and too vinegary? :-)

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Leaving the Carolina game early?

better days
09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
You can usually sneak the Tilted Kilt and/or Twin Peaks by the wife if she's never heard of them. Not sure if you'd want to, but the option exists.

Never heard of it but I love the name Twin Peaks for a bar/restaurant. Is that just a local place?

trapezeus
09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Leaving the Carolina game early?

you got to earn my love. they blow a bunch of games every year. hell they blew the game the week earlier. we are entitled to walk out. and based on what this season is starting to look like, there might be more walkouts on a 1-7 team.

this is my pompous self defense of the indefensible.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Never heard of it but I love the name Twin Peaks for a bar/restaurant. Is that just a local place?

It's a chain but not really in the Northeast yet

http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/locations/

DynaPaul
09-26-2013, 05:54 PM

They do? Everytime I've been in there it's crappy food, 2 hot waitresses while the rest of them are ugly (and none of them have extraordinary hooters), and a bunch of scruffy guys thinking it's the place to be but don't have it figured out yet.

better days
09-26-2013, 11:18 PM
They do? Everytime I've been in there it's crappy food, 2 hot waitresses while the rest of them are ugly (and none of them have extraordinary hooters), and a bunch of scruffy guys thinking it's the place to be but don't have it figured out yet.

I guess it depends on the area you live. Come to the Tampa, Sarasota or Key West Hooters. I think you will have a different opinion...........but not about the food, that sucks down here as well.

Beebe's Kid
09-27-2013, 02:01 AM
I guess it depends on the area you live. Come to the Tampa, Sarasota or Key West Hooters. I think you will have a different opinion...........but not about the food, that sucks down here as well.
So they have fake tits there...the point isn't the "hotness" of the girls. It is the fact that they suck you in to a really kind of sick atmosphere, and they sell you ****ty food. **** Hooters. I don't know what the guys there are supposed to be "figuring out," but every time I have ever eaten in one of those ****holes; it made me feel awkward. I talk to people everywhere, but I was left feeling shameful for eating there.

I am not some "moral high-ground," kind of guy, but seriously...Hooters?

Every single person here that has been to one understands what I am saying.

The Compromise
09-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Making wings is as easy as making spaghetti.

That way you can make them any way you like them. I don't know why more people don't make their own. They obviously cost less too.

mightysimi
09-27-2013, 05:09 AM
My favorite about Hooters is there unwavering claim that it is a family restaurant. I have been kicked out of there for cheering too loudly at a sporting event because it is a family restaurant. This was just after the chick with the big rack was hoola hooping around the bar. Good old clean family fun right there. **** hooters.

better days
09-27-2013, 09:02 AM

That way you can make them any way you like them. I don't know why more people don't make their own. They obviously cost less too.

Like I said before, since the rest of the Country discovered wings, the price has skyrocketed.

I used to make my own wings & when I moved to Fla, wings cost about .25/lb Today wings cost over $3.00/lb...................more than breast meat.

I very rarely make wings anymore because of the price. You can get them cheaper at happy hour in a bar.

I read recently McDonalds bought so many wings about 18 months ago to stockpile for their new mighty wing offering that it caused the price of wings to jump 200%

better days
09-27-2013, 09:38 AM
. You can buy their sauce on Amazon. The shipping cost sucks, but the sauce is worth it. I always stock up when I am in NY.

I miss the sauce from Swiss Chalet myself.

trapezeus
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Nothing like stockpiling wings that should go bad at some point. that's insanely disgusting.

HAMMER
09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Frozen wings last an eternity, being a billion dollar business that deals with tons of meat everyday I'm pretty sure McDonalds has a grasp on the logistics involved.

trapezeus
09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
not enough people defending mcdonalds these days. i like it.

stuckincincy
09-27-2013, 01:22 PM

They are. Follow the recipe depicted on a bottle of Frank's hot sauce for baked wings. Grease the baking pan first, place the lowers skin down. Flip 'em after 30 minutes. Resist any temptation to turn on the broiler - hi-temp wings, exuded oil - they turn blackened in an instant. Don't do it.

Deep frying just cooks them quickly. Nobody ever said that the chicken in a wing is the best-tasting chicken meat I ever tasted. Wings aren't a piece of filet mignon, brushed with oil to sear and char and keep in moisture. There's plenty of fat in the chicken wing skin to let the surface sizzle in an oven. Take 'em off the baking pan, pop them in a covered container with a pat of margarine and shake them with your coatings and spices of choice.

I suspect the only difference between the good and the bad wing eateries in Buffalo and elsewhere is the frequency of changing out the cooking oil and the rapidity of the server in delivering the goods to the table.

OpIv37
09-27-2013, 02:33 PM
You forgot the most important thing: the sauce. Go to the best wing shop in Buffalo and swap their house sauce for something that comes in 5 gallon jugs from Sysco and the wings are gonna taste like crap.

better days
09-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Frozen wings last an eternity, being a billion dollar business that deals with tons of meat everyday I'm pretty sure McDonalds has a grasp on the logistics involved.

Frozen wings do not taste as good as fresh, but then McDonalds does not really care about tasty food anyway.

better days
09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
They are. Follow the recipe depicted on a bottle of Frank's hot sauce for baked wings. Grease the baking pan first, place the lowers skin down. Flip 'em after 30 minutes. Resist any temptation to turn on the broiler - hi-temp wings, exuded oil - they turn blackened in an instant. Don't do it.

Deep frying just cooks them quickly. Nobody ever said that the chicken in a wing is the best-tasting chicken meat I ever tasted. Wings aren't a piece of filet mignon, brushed with oil to sear and char and keep in moisture. There's plenty of fat in the chicken wing skin to let the surface sizzle in an oven. Take 'em off the baking pan, pop them in a covered container with a pat of margarine and shake them with your coatings and spices of choice.

I suspect the only difference between the good and the bad wing eateries in Buffalo and elsewhere is the frequency of changing out the cooking oil and the rapidity of the server in delivering the goods to the table.

This post reminds me of that State Farm Commercial............................sounds DISGUSTING. For the love of God, if you are going to make wings at home despite the exorbitant price, Fry them or Grill them, do NOT bake them.

HAMMER
09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Frozen wings do not taste as good as fresh, but then McDonalds does not really care about tasty food anyway.

Nor do frozen burgers, frozen fries, frozen anything.

BillsImpossible
09-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I like the name Buffalo wings. It is like Philly Cheese steak.

A food that was created in the City it was named after.

The problem I have with Buffalo wings is since the rest of the Country discovered them, the price of Chicken wings has SKYROCKETED.

You can thank McDonald's for that. Did you see their latest creation?

Breaded wings that look like a ******ed bucket of KFC.

BillsImpossible
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM
This post reminds me of that State Farm Commercial............................sounds DISGUSTING. For the love of God, if you are going to make wings at home despite the exorbitant price, Fry them or Grill them, do NOT bake them.

Actually....I'm guilty of guilty of baking wings, but please hear me out.

Wegmans has these awesome organic chicken wings that are real chicken wings...no breading, and super cheap. It costs only about $3.50 for a pound of organic wings! Less than $5? A single order of wings these days costs $10!

They're meaty and not super huge, but at least that means the chickens weren't fed hormones. Picture a chicken so fat it can't even stand, sitting in crap all day, being pumped full of growth hormones. You are what you eat.

Set the oven at 450, put the wings on a pan, and about 35-40 minutes later they are super crispy and ready for the REAL butter and Frank's hot sauce.

Your house or apartment will smell awesome too.

BillsImpossible
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM

Imagine if the owner of the Anchor Bar served his first dish of chicken wings tossed in a Thai style sauce and was served with a side of soy sauce instead of bleu cheese and celery/carrots.

I don't think the original Buffalo chicken wing would have ever grown legs.

OpIv37
09-27-2013, 09:12 PM
You can bake wings- the trick is putting them in a glass pan with a layer of oil in the bottom and turning them halfway through- you essential fry them in the oven.

BillsFever21
09-27-2013, 09:23 PM
You can thank McDonald's for that. Did you see their latest creation?

Breaded wings that look like a ******ed bucket of KFC.

Whenever I get out of the bar I almost always want chicken wings but there isn't any place open at 2:30 that sells them around here. After I heard McDonald's starting selling them I thought about buying them until I saw they wanted about $1 a wing for them. I said the hell with that and just ordered a Big Mac instead.

I figured their wings would be fairly cheap considering it was McDonald's and they probably weren't the greatest wings but it was better the nothing. After I saw the price there isn't any chance I would pay that much for McDonald's wings. Instead I just went to the grocery store and got the TGIF precooked wings. You get about 9 of them in the box for under $3. Throw them in the oven for around 15-20 minutes and it's good to go. They're actually not too bad for precooked wings that you bake in the oven. Maybe it's the 7+ Jack and Cokes telling me that though.

HAMMER
09-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Imagine if the owner of the Anchor Bar served his first dish of chicken wings tossed in a Thai style sauce and was served with a side of soy sauce instead of bleu cheese and celery/carrots.

I don't think the original Buffalo chicken wing would have ever grown legs.

Then again you may be wrong.

better days
09-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Whenever I get out of the bar I almost always want chicken wings but there isn't any place open at 2:30 that sells them around here. After I heard McDonald's starting selling them I thought about buying them until I saw they wanted about $1 a wing for them. I said the hell with that and just ordered a Big Mac instead.

I figured their wings would be fairly cheap considering it was McDonald's and they probably weren't the greatest wings but it was better the nothing. After I saw the price there isn't any chance I would pay that much for McDonald's wings. Instead I just went to the grocery store and got the TGIF precooked wings. You get about 9 of them in the box for under $3. Throw them in the oven for around 15-20 minutes and it's good to go. They're actually not too bad for precooked wings that you bake in the oven. Maybe it's the 7+ Jack and Cokes telling me that though.

Why not eat wings while at the bar? When I was young & closed the bars at 4:30 AM, we would go for breakfast.