• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Playcalling and Execution

It's hard for EJ to be successful when on 1st down, we run CJ from a flat-footed start right up the middle, on 2nd down, run a flat-footed CJ either to the left or right for again no gain, and on 3rd, EJ HAS to pass.

The playcalling to me is way too predictable right now. Teams are filling up the box and instead of calling an audible, we run right into the strongest part of the defense. The majority of the time when you see CJ to the left of EJ, you know its a run to the right and vice versa. How many times did the Jets simply shift a LB over to the strongside to create an matchup in their favor? We didn't bother to change anything. It's stupid, predictable, and there's no way we're going to be consistently successful until we change it. I'm having flashbacks of Gailey not letting Fitz change the play.

Also, EJ has to give the WRs a chance on 3rd and long, that we seem to always find ourselves in. I'm not too sure what's going through his head when he throws the ball about as high as he can to the sideline. There's about a .003% chance of completion.
  • mjt328
    • May 2011

Re: Playcalling and Execution

I agree. The play calling is terrible.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

I wonder if they allow EJ to audible at the LOS. If not ,how come? He's not ready?
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Where have all the effective quick swing passes to the RB's and slants to the WR's gone ? I saw a ton of them in camp/pre-season and they have vanished from the playbook.

Why?
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Very true, Train.

I would think the goal should be to get Spiller the ball in open space, and let him work his magic.

As opposed to running him into the pile.

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

When Hackett said he was giving Spiller the ball until he threw up it wasn't because of exhaustion. It was because of the horrible running lanes and play calling.

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

I honestly think that Hackett thinks if he just meets his analytic # of runs per game to win, he will win. He's put no emphasis on his game planning or designing plays to beat particular defenses. Pettine has done a fantastic job of game planning. Hackett is the new Wanny.
              Also, the 24/7 no huddle has to go. There are times you run the clock. A good coach should know this.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                I honestly think that Hackett thinks if he just meets his analytic # of runs per game to win, he will win. He's put no emphasis on his game planning or designing plays to beat particular defenses. Pettine has done a fantastic job of game planning. Hackett is the new Wanny.
                Also, the 24/7 no huddle has to go. There are times you run the clock. A good coach should know this.
                You mean another perfect example of right before halftime against the Jets? The Bills get the ball back with just under 2 minutes to go and can't even make it the last drive of the half or make them use all of their timeouts? They go 3 and out in less then a minute and give the Jets the ball back which leads to another FG going into halftime. They even left them with another timeout and only needed to use one other one to get the ball back 50 seconds later. Just another example of the horrible clock management by this team.
                Last edited by BillsFever21; 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Turf
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                  You mean another perfect example of right before halftime against the Jets? The Bills get the ball back with just under 2 minutes to go and can't even make it the last drive of the half or make them use all of their timeouts? They go 3 and out in less then a minute and give the Jets the ball back which leads to another FG going into halftime. They even left them with another timeout and only needed to use one other one to get the ball back 50 seconds later. Just another example of the horrible clock management by this team.
                  That drove me nuts. At least on 3rd and long have enough sense to run some time off the clock.
                  Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

That drove me nuts. At least on 3rd and long have enough sense to run some time off the clock.
                    When we got the ball with about 110 seconds left I told my dad that the Jets will get the ball back with enough time to still have a good chance to score before halftime. We didn't even make them use both of the timeouts they had left and still only ran about 50 seconds off the clock. It was pretty pathetic.

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      Where have all the effective quick swing passes to the RB's and slants to the WR's gone ? I saw a ton of them in camp/pre-season and they have vanished from the playbook.

Why?
                      I saw Freddy in the flat wide open so many times it made me wonder if the Jets D was blind.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

I get the impression Hackett buys into his own hubris as a 33 y/o upjumped OC.

Some of his play-calling on 3rd down is mind-boggling.

Come on, dude, you were calling bad plays at Syracuse last year for a reason.
                        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                          I saw Freddy in the flat wide open so many times it made me wonder if the Jets D was blind.
                          Rookie qb - they weren't worried. What ya do is flood the flat a couple of times in a row. Get the D thinking, get them scratching their heads over those sideline still photos the camera crews like to show.

It's like a canny boxer that tosses a lot of left or right jabs into space. Set 'em up.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

I didn't like the idea of a 33 year old OC jumping straight from college right into an NFL OC position. He should've started off as a QB coach and hiring an experienced OC for now would've been the better option.

Maybe Ralph was too cheap to pay for a real OC or maybe Marrone was too gullible or insecure to hire somebody with experience. My guess it was probably a little of each. Either way this is still Marrone's offense and his hands are on it. I highly doubt he lets a 33 year old Hackett have free reigns with the game plan, play calling and in-game adjustments. If this doesn't work out then it's just as much Marrone's fault.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

I blame Marrone for this hire.

Comment

Working...
                              X