PDA

View Full Version : Bills Run Defense Problem Film Study

ghz in pittsburgh
09-25-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/9/24/4765754/bills-run-defense-film-study-breakdowns-vs-jets-bilal-powell

For all the good showing Alonso has so far, there is reason he's not a 1st rounder and his over-pursue problem showed up.

When the D-Line is doing their job and you are running free, you just cannot miss those tackles.

Maybe it's just a growing pain. There is only so many Ray Lewis out there at ILB position. I know Jerry Hughes, Justin Rogers kind of guys are pretty much who they are. But Alonso, EJ etc still have a lot of growing to do. It'll be interesting to see what kind of tape we'll see by week 9.

I do want to say this though, Alonso has surpassed my expectation for pass defense. So if he does not pan out as a run stuffer, I still want him on the field.

RedEyE
09-25-2013, 10:53 AM
You could essentially break down every game tape on every player in the same manner. There isn't a player out there that is going to do it correctly 100% of the time. But its the guys that make the least amount of mistakes that truly excel in this league. In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives in Kiko's case.

HAMMER
09-25-2013, 12:31 PM
He is on a fast track to stardom, mistakes are going to be made along the way.

justasportsfan
09-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Imagine that, for all the mistakes Kiko is making, he's still making a lot of plays. Couldn't say that about Poz.

JoeMama
09-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Well, this articles settles it.

We never should have drafted Kiko Alonso.

When the Bills use a 2nd round draft pick on an MLB, I expect the 2000 version of Ray Lewis IMMEDIATELY.

Anything else is failure!

WTF...

BillsFever21
09-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Them were great illustrations of what we're doing wrong. For as well as Alonso has done with intercepting a couple passes he has been horrible in the running game. It's not just him but many players on the defense. This is an issue that's been going on for years. Bernard Pierce/Ray Rice(if plays) will be licking their chops this weekend.

DynaPaul
09-25-2013, 05:34 PM
He kicks ass.

ParanoidAndroid
09-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Who did this "film study?" Why are we basing our belief that Kiko "may not pan out as a run stuffer" based on a bunch of slides covering a handful of plays? Not to mention, Kiko is held in one of those plays in which he is accused of "whiffing" on the tackle. This is not very well done, does not account for what the defensive play call was on the field, assumes hindsight, and fails to give enough credit to the Jets for some solid run blocking. The run defense does need work, but I hardly see Kiko as the problem.

DraftBoy
09-26-2013, 07:27 AM
The tone in this thread is why the Bills have been bad for so long. Making a few splash plays does not make up for having technical deficiencies. I think Alonso has some real potential but let's not ignore his large issues because he hits hard and made a pick.

ParanoidAndroid
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
The tone in this thread is why the Bills have been bad for so long. Making a few splash plays does not make up for having technical deficiencies. I think Alonso has some real potential but let's not ignore his large issues because he hits hard and made a pick.

The OP is discussing Alonso who has played 3 games. How can you focus on Kiko and reference him to the long term struggles? That's what we're responding to.

HAMMER
09-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Large issues, really? Gimme a break, the guy has been well above average, in fact he is on an incredible pace at this point.