PDA

View Full Version : If Gilmore and Byrd Were Healthy, Would The Bills Be 3-0?

BillsImpossible
09-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Last week didn't go as predicted. Once McKelvin went down, I think the defensive game plan got turned on its head. McKelvin was playing great like the number 1 corner the Bills drafted him to be, but then came the injury *****'s bite. The Bills secondary is starting to look like the defensive lineup for the Sabres in 2006 against Carolina in the playoffs.

Gilmore, Byrd, Brooks, and McKelvin are all on the mend.

Over 500 yards of offense given up by the Bills D against the Jets, but Justin Rodgers was responsible for over 200 of those yards. Kid got smoked and had no help.

The Bills secondary, "didn't look bad," against New England. They beat Cam Newton, barely.

With over 6 minutes left on the clock, the Bills were in position to win in New York.

That's a miracle in itself given the circumstance, but I digress.

I thought EJ was going to do, "it," again. "It," didn't happen, but the game was still close. Very close.

Not bad for a rookie QB playing his first NFL road game at the Meadowlands in NYC. The Kid made some horrible throws, but shrugged them off and kept his team in the game by not throwing stupid interceptions. He took 8 sacks, and with a little more seasoning called experience I think EJ is going to be just fine.

The Bills offense put up more points against the Jets defense than the Patriots did.

Just imagine if Stephon Gilmore and Jairus Byrd were on the field for all 3 games.

The 23-21 loss against New England could and should be a 21-16 win with Gilmore and Byrd in the lineup.

The 27-20 loss against the Jets could and should be a 20-13 win for the Bills with these two key players in the game.

The Bills are going to be a good team this year, but not until their secondary is healed.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't think we win the Pats game even with Gilmore and Byrd. We only gave up 23 points- the problem was that the O only managed 14 (7 was the turnover returned for a TD).

I think we probably win the Jets game if McKelvin doesn't get hurt and definitely win if Gilmore plays.

I'm tired of Byrd and I'm proceeding under the assumption that he won't play another game in a Bills uni. He'll milk the injury for the year and then walk.

Oaf
09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
I think we probably win the Jets game if McKelvin doesn't get hurt and definitely win if Gilmore plays.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm also surprised we didn't adjust our defense to give Rogers more help over the top when it was clear he was overmatched. It seemed like every time he was burned, he was on an island.

JoeMama
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Nope.

No matter how many defensive players are healthy, they can't magically make our offense score points.

Which is what we need.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't think we win the Pats game even with Gilmore and Byrd. We only gave up 23 points- the problem was that the O only managed 14 (7 was the turnover returned for a TD).

I'm tired of Byrd and I'm proceeding under the assumption that he won't play another game in a Bills uni. He'll milk the injury for the year and then walk.

That would so suck! If Byrd does that I think he is seriously risking his future in the NFL. He needs to play and demonstrate his capabilities this year. Last year doesn't matter anymore, the NFL is a win now league. And no team is going to give him big money if he simply does not play this year.

After 3 weeks I think Byrd realizes the potential of this defense with him in it. His stock can only rise if he becomes the difference maker, and his stock will only decrease in value if he continues to sit on the sidelines.

Reputation is everything in the NFL.

stuckincincy
09-25-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm also surprised we didn't adjust our defense to give Rogers more help over the top when it was clear he was overmatched. It seemed like every time he was burned, he was on an island.

Yep. I would have gone as far as putting Graham out on defense. One assumes he knows pass routes, and it certainly would have given the NYJ staff something to think about.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Nope.

No matter how many defensive players are healthy, they can't magically make our offense score points.

Which is what we need.

Scoring 20 points against the Jets defense is a lot considering Brady could only put up 13 against them.

Scoring 14 points against a Bill Belichick defense in your first NFL game is a lot of points.

The new Bills offense is only 3 games old. How can anyone criticize an offense that was put in a position and given the opportunity to win every single game so far?

Crisis
09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Yep. I would have gone as far as putting Graham out on defense. One assumes he knows pass routes, and it certainly would have given the NYJ staff something to think about.

"Hmmm, should we throw at this really ****ty cornerback, or this really ****ty receiver playing cornerback?"

BillsFever21
09-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Scoring 20 points against the Jets defense is a lot considering Brady could only put up 13 against them.

I guess Chad Henne and the Jaguars offense is better then Colin Keapernick and the 49ers offense then. The Jaguars scored 17 points in Seattle while the 49ers got pummeled and only scored 3 points. You can't take one team in a single game and compare it to another in a different game.

OpIv37
09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
That would so suck! If Byrd does that I think he is seriously risking his future in the NFL. He needs to play and demonstrate his capabilities this year. Last year doesn't matter anymore, the NFL is a win now league. And no team is going to give him big money if he simply does not play this year.

After 3 weeks I think Byrd realizes the potential of this defense with him in it. His stock can only rise if he becomes the difference maker, and his stock will only decrease in value if he continues to sit on the sidelines.

Reputation is everything in the NFL.
My working theory is that Byrd was trying to force the Bills' hand to get paid because he's concerned he will never be able to play at the same level again.

I have no proof of that- is just a theory based on the way things worked out.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I guess Chad Henne and the Jaguars offense is better then Colin Keapernick and the 49ers offense then. The Jaguars scored 17 points in Seattle while the 49ers got pummeled and only scored 3 points. You can't take one team in a single game and compare it to another in a different game.

I agree, but EJ Manuel is a rookie. The rest are not.

Goobylal
09-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes.

Meathead
09-25-2013, 10:32 PM
My working theory is that Byrd was trying to force the Bills' hand to get paid because he's concerned he will never be able to play at the same level again.

I have no proof of that- is just a theory based on the way things worked out.

no then he would have accepted the top five offer the bills were ready to give him

better days
09-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Who is to say the Jags offense is not better than the 49ers at this point?

Kaepernick has not had a good game since the first game against Green Bay.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Who is to say the Jags offense is not better than the 49ers at this point?

Kaepernick has not had a good game since the first game against Green Bay.

Is this a joke? Against Kansas City, it took Jax more than 50 minutes to cross their own 40 yard line. Their own 40. Jax has a real chance to be the worst offense in NFL history.

CoolBreeze
09-26-2013, 01:00 AM

Whoa, wait a minute wasn't Seattle's backups in? Plus if you watched any of the game you'd know the Jags were very fortunate to have Poz intercept a crazy tip ball at Seattle's 5 yard line

RedEyE
09-26-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm sorry but I think the Bills are defiintly 3-0 if Byrd, Gilmour, Leodis, AND Ron Brooks are healthy.

You've heard the phrase that a team is only as good as its bench. But when you're entire secondary has been decimated and you're scrapping the barrel just for a warm body to fill a position, then an obvious weakness has been created.

There are players and then there are play-makers.

X-Era
09-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Why wouldn't he? I mean if he stays off the field he can guarantee he's injury free. And if he gets traded, he doesn't get to pick his next team.

Screw him. Trade him anyways.

GingerP
09-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Every team in the league can play the what-if game. It is the way losers delude themselves into believing things could be different.

coastal
09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
We should draft at least two DBS in the first three rounds next year.

better days
09-26-2013, 07:17 AM
We should draft at least two DBS in the first three rounds next year.

Along with a Left Guard.

OpIv37
09-26-2013, 08:17 AM
no then he would have accepted the top five offer the bills were ready to give him

Not if you think it'll be your last payday- you hold out for that extra $2 million a year. It's risky but it beats selling used cars

EDS
09-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Last week didn't go as predicted. Once McKelvin went down, I think the defensive game plan got turned on its head. McKelvin was playing great like the number 1 corner the Bills drafted him to be, but then came the injury *****'s bite. The Bills secondary is starting to look like the defensive lineup for the Sabres in 2006 against Carolina in the playoffs.

Gilmore, Byrd, Brooks, and McKelvin are all on the mend.

Over 500 yards of offense given up by the Bills D against the Jets, but Justin Rodgers was responsible for over 200 of those yards. Kid got smoked and had no help.

The Bills secondary, "didn't look bad," against New England. They beat Cam Newton, barely.

With over 6 minutes left on the clock, the Bills were in position to win in New York.

That's a miracle in itself given the circumstance, but I digress.

I thought EJ was going to do, "it," again. "It," didn't happen, but the game was still close. Very close.

Not bad for a rookie QB playing his first NFL road game at the Meadowlands in NYC. The Kid made some horrible throws, but shrugged them off and kept his team in the game by not throwing stupid interceptions. He took 8 sacks, and with a little more seasoning called experience I think EJ is going to be just fine.

The Bills offense put up more points against the Jets defense than the Patriots did.

Just imagine if Stephon Gilmore and Jairus Byrd were on the field for all 3 games.

The 23-21 loss against New England could and should be a 21-16 win with Gilmore and Byrd in the lineup.

The 27-20 loss against the Jets could and should be a 20-13 win for the Bills with these two key players in the game.

The Bills are going to be a good team this year, but not until their secondary is healed.

What if NE had a healthy Gronkowski? Does that help the Pats offense enough to offset the healthy additions of Byrd and Gilmore?

trapezeus
09-26-2013, 09:44 AM
it's hard to get into what ifs. i don't know how much more we can realistically ask from our defense. They are playing a lot more over 3 games than the offense. They have won the TO battle in 2 games. They've scored a touchdown.

Obviously it couldn't hurt, but we need the offense to start showing up. And frankly, i think the line issue is so bad that the coaching is handcuffed a bit. and if we give marrone the benefit of the doubt, he's an OL guy. If he isn't getting a lot more out of these guys, chances are there isn't much more to tap into. So yet again, with different personel, different coaches, the end result is the same.

is it at all possible to blame the same power structure of Brandon and Littman as being the most detrimental reasons to not winning? They are way under the cap, lost two home grown talents and keep blaming everyone else but themselves.

jills
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
In a word:

No

Mr. Pink
09-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Scoring 14 points against a Bill Belichick defense in your first NFL game is a lot of points.

The new Bills offense is only 3 games old. How can anyone criticize an offense that was put in a position and given the opportunity to win every single game so far?

Yet the defense can be criticized even though they're put the offense in a position to win every game?

Can't have it both ways.

Defensively we've played well enough to be 3-0. Offensively we've pissed away 2 of those games and had the refs help in the one win.

better days
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Yet the defense can be criticized even though they're put the offense in a position to win every game?

Can't have it both ways.

Defensively we've played well enough to be 3-0. Offensively we've pissed away 2 of those games and had the refs help in the one win.

What help did we have in the one win? Do you not think the calls made by the refs were legitimate?

Mr. Pink
09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
What help did we have in the one win? Do you not think the calls made by the refs were legitimate?

Ok, he had by Luke Kuechley grabbing Stevie for no reason. Better?

DynaPaul
09-26-2013, 05:34 PM
We'd at least be 2 - 1.

Crisis
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
If Gronk is healthy we lose the Pats game anyways... Injuries are a two way street

BillsFever21
09-26-2013, 06:56 PM
If Gronk is healthy we lose the Pats game anyways... Injuries are a two way street

Only the Bills injuries count for most people. We're the only team that has many injuries.

kishoph
09-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Only the Bills injuries count for most people. We're the only team that has many injuries.

All teams have injuries, but having your top 3 CB's and top safety out is a little extreme.

Thief
09-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Byrd is healthy. He is just a whinny thief.