PDA

View Full Version : From Byrd's mouth - he decides when he plays i.e. when he's 100%

ghz in pittsburgh
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/26/jairus-byrd-wont-play-unless-he-feels-100-percent/

Lone Stranger
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
The commentary on the quoted cite is right on target.

Uncle Jesse
09-26-2013, 10:59 AM
He's a puss and milking it at this point, and it's all about the contract thing, there's no doubt about it. I think he's trying to almost force the Bills to not tag him again so he can walk.

Bill Cody
09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
The dumb asses that wanted the Bills to just pay this fraud whatever he wanted probably are not moved by him sitting laughing on the sidelines week after week, too hard to admit they were wrong. Any player that refers to his own team as "them" clearly does not give a *****.

sukie
09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Derek Rose of the Bills?

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 11:13 AM
What a load of ****. Did anyone actually read his quotes?

“No,” Byrd said Wednesday at his locker. “I mean, I don’t want to see them do bad. I’ve said that since Day One. But me going out there at less than 100 percent isn’t going to help the case, either.
“I can’t do anything about it. That’s the tough part.”

“Coach is telling the truth,” Byrd said. “It’s just really a matter of me. I’ll go to him and be, like, ‘Hey, let’s roll. Let’s roll.’ It’s really like that.”

“Yeah, hopefully,” Byrd said. “I’ve been saying since Day One I’m going out there, getting treatment and seeing where I’m at each day.”

“It’s been tough,” Byrd said. “The secondary is all about communication and continuity. So when you have moving parts, it’s hard to get that rhythm in there and know where each person’s going to be, their strengths and weaknesses and things like that. It’s hard.”

Spinning that into saying "Byrd won't play unless he's 100%" is intentional instigation. And anyone that believes that was his intention behind those statements is a bigger fan of Ralph's wallet than the Bills.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 11:20 AM
The dumb asses that wanted the Bills to just pay this fraud whatever he wanted probably are not moved by him sitting laughing on the sidelines week after week, too hard to admit they were wrong. Any player that refers to his own team as "them" clearly does not give a *****.

No, I'm not. If you want to watch Geno Smith gash our secondary content in the knowledge that all of our DBs are appropriately paid, be my guest.

Typ0
09-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't blame him really ... it's the way the system is designed. I don't doubt the validity of the injury but also think he could find his way onto the field with it...except that he's given a lot to play football and there is a chance his time in the NFL is drawing to a close. He's a very good player and the Bills stopped him from playing the free agency market (they are part of the system too). Byrd has to protect himself from having his career end this season ... so it makes sense to me he needs to be at 100% to play. It's the owners and marketing guru's who pumped up the revenues from the league making the players rich ... it's not even their fault so much is at stake these days.

Typ0
09-26-2013, 11:23 AM
No, I'm not. If you want to watch Geno Smith gash our secondary content in the knowledge that all of our DBs are appropriately paid, be my guest.

that's the systemic problem though ... why would the Bills give up the deal when they can franchise him and not assume all that financial risk?

Meathead
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
every day that goes by just makes byrds decision not to accept top five money more and more stupid

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
that's the systemic problem though ... why would the Bills give up the deal when they can franchise him and not assume all that financial risk?

Because they've antagonized him to the point that he might not sign even if we do offer the money. See: Peters, Jason.

Just look at Henry Melton. He played the good company man, signed his tender, went to camp - and now blew out his ACL. It likely cost him millions.

So, by tagging him we get a year of pissed off Byrd playing (if he plays) tentative football to protect himself. At "only" $7 million guaranteed! A steal!

OpIv37
09-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Two problems with this. First, no one knew he was injured when we wanted him signed. I doin the team knew he was injured either, because they did offer him a long term deal.

Second, maybe he wasn't so bitter before the team low-balled him....

Thief
09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Seriously, name a player that is 100%? Players play at less than 100% all the time! Seriously, my understanding of the ingury he has is that it will NEVER be 100%! And it is just a matter of playing through the pain. I dont think he can say ANYTHING that will make me think he isn't milking it!

Tatonka
09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
that is completely taking his quote out of context. he basically said me not playing full strength wont help our cause. pretty gay the way they framed the comments though.

trapezeus
09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
at some point, he's got to get out there to show that he is worth top 5 money. with this "he makes the call" decision, he gets to game this how he wants. the bills will be desperate to sign him. he'll come in when the team is the worst, he'll play 8 games, he'll have good stats for those 8 games at 100% while other players are playing injured, the bills paid him a ton this year to be a spectator and taken from them for nothing.

i really think he is fine and incentivized to not play. the fact they can't get him out there at 75-85% with a secondary this bad is pathetic testament on how things are being run. And again, why wasn;t levitre signed if they knew this was going to be the case on franchising byrd. they are under cap, under talented.

it's the top of the bills brass thats causing the consistency of the losing.

Typ0
09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
that is completely taking his quote out of context. he basically said me not playing full strength wont help our cause. pretty gay the way they framed the comments though.

And that's just his line of BS to rationalize it to the media.

better days
09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
I think at this point, the Bills should just put him on IR. Tag him next year & trade him.

Thief
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
He played at equal or less strength last season as per his own words.

better days
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Two problems with this. First, no one knew he was injured when we wanted him signed. I doin the team knew he was injured either, because they did offer him a long term deal.

I doubt the team thought he was going to be such a douchebag. He should be wanting to play for his next contact. I doubt he sees any more money next year than the Bills already offered him the way this year went down.

Thief
09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
We need some media exposure and pressure here. I think someone on his team needs to flat out call him out. Woods has done it before. Mario has done some stupid things in the press, maybe he can do one I like for a change.

TacklingDummy
09-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Tag him again next year and let him rot on the bench.
We'll see how much he gets paid for not playing for 2 years.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 12:30 PM

You want to pay him north of $15 million to not play for two seasons? It's so foolish it's wrapped all the way around to be genius!

Thief
09-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Mario: Yeah OK, I have plantar fasciitis like Byrd said. But I am playing with it, unlike this *****.

better days
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
You want to pay him north of $15 million to not play for two seasons? It's so foolish it's wrapped all the way around to be genius!

I say tag & trade him next year. I doubt we will get much but on the other hand, I doubt Byrd will get what he wanted either.

jdaltroy5
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
This was Ralph's problem too.

He preferred personal issues over good personnel.

It doesn't prove that you're a no-nonsense franchise. It just proves that you value spite over winning.

Thief
09-26-2013, 01:20 PM

I actually agree with TD. If nothing else we send a message. We will not be pushed around. We will play hardball. We have plenty of cap space to burn. And from that point on I would spread the word that if you hire Eugene Parker we will not be contacting you in free agency, and I quietly ask other GMs and owner to join in.

This is seriously completely against the agreements. There is a tag for a reason and it isn't so players can take a paid year off.

Thief
09-26-2013, 01:22 PM
This was Ralph's problem too.

He preferred personal issues over good personnel.

It doesn't prove that you're a no-nonsense franchise. It just proves that you value spite over winning.I disagree. It can prove wonders in future years. "Hey, Eugene Parkers, you had better think twice bout trying to create leverage by sliting your our clients throat".

You have one option. Play your heart out under your tag or sign a long term deal. That is how it is designed to work. Not to give players a paid year off.

justasportsfan
09-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Byrd said. If he's not 100% why play and risk further injury with a contract that doesn't guarantee him anything after this year.

With that being said, I want posters to bring out their sources proving that he was low balled.

Thief
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Byrd said. If he's not 100% why play and risk further injury with a contract that doesn't guarantee him anything after this year.

With that being said, I want posters to bring out their sources proving that he was low balled.He is paid handsomely to play. Not milk his injury. he is a whiny *****.

jdaltroy5
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I disagree. It can prove wonders in future years. "Hey, Eugene Parkers, you had better think twice bout trying to create leverage by sliting your our clients throat".

You have one option. Play your heart out under your tag or sign a long term deal. That is how it is designed to work. Not to give players a paid year off.
What is it going to prove?

Did getting tough with Jason Peters prove anything? Here we are 4 years later and an elite player is doing the exact same thing.

All it did was give us a carousel at an important position which we finally had to use a high draft pick to address.

justasportsfan
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
He is paid handsomely to play. Not milk his injury. he is a whiny *****.

I agree to a certain degree but as to what he said, I see nothing wrong with it. Like tatonka said, it was taken out of context.

Beebe's Kid
09-26-2013, 02:20 PM
He should get out there, because all of the fans get out there, even though watching the Bills is the equivalent of having a chronic, painful injury, right?

I love the "bleed red and blue" mentality...it is cute, it just doesn't make sense.

Also...for the "this has been dragging on crowd," how about a little perspective. It is Week 4. Still plenty of time for Byrd to show up, improve our pass defense by leaps and bounds, and prove his worth. The Bills defense will be much better with him on the field, and there will be "with," and "without," samples to draw from. This is liable to make him more money.

But you are right...he should be in a hurry to play for all of the people that trash him on a daily basis...namely the fans, as there has not been anybody that is actually employed by the team that has shown any level of frustration with Byrd; players or management. Only the saps that keep showing up to transfer money from their account to Ralph's.

I feel bad for the people that are so agonized by this team, as well as blindly loyal, so that they can't see what is happening. This is the era of free-agency, and like it or not, that is the most fair for the players that you like to dress up as when you go to the stadium. Before free-agency, the owners owned the teams and the players, and while you may have been able to root, root, root, for the same players all of the time, they were basically slaves to their owners.

I know sports is more important than just about anything in life, but there is business and personal realities that are not even being considered by many.

It isn't Byrd that owes you a thing, it is Ralph and his well-greased minions. The ones that are cashing checks far away from physical harm, and equally as far away from your criticism.

Beebe's Kid
09-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I agree to a certain degree but as to what he said, I see nothing wrong with it. Like tatonka said, it was taken out of context.
and this...except out of context may be a little kind. Blatantly misleading may be a little better.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I disagree. It can prove wonders in future years. "Hey, Eugene Parkers, you had better think twice bout trying to create leverage by sliting your our clients throat".

That'll show Byrd and his agent! He'll get around 20m to do nothing and Parker will get whatever his cut is for also doing...nothing. Real message.

Thief
09-26-2013, 02:51 PM
What is it going to prove?

Did getting tough with Jason Peters prove anything? Here we are 4 years later and an elite player is doing the exact same thing.

All it did was give us a carousel at an important position which we finally had to use a high draft pick to address.Peters was a different situation. He was under contract for 2 more years and we got a good deal for him. Byrd has shot himself in the foot here, as he has ruined his trade value significantly lowering what we give up to prove a point. I am willing to give up a third round offer to dent his pocket for life. After two year on our pine with his fake injury he will get nothing but one year offers. He will never get the 5 yr 40 million offer again (I'm guessing). THAT is the only way owners and organizations can enforce the franchise tag. There are repercussions if a player milks an injury, bottom line. You can milk an injury, take your 7.5 million,then walk the next year and get 34 million four year contract and not lose a cent. Funk that. I would pay the other 9 million, tab him for another year, let him rot so EVERYONE learns the lesson when he get a 1 year offer for 3 million the year after and realizes he pissed away MILLIONS with his fake ass injury.

jdaltroy5
09-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Peters was a different situation. He was under contract for 2 more years and we got a good deal for him. Byrd has shot himself in the foot here, as he has ruined his trade value significantly lowering what we give up to prove a point. I am willing to give up a third round offer to dent his pocket for life. After two year on our pine with his fake injury he will get nothing but one year offers. He will never get the 5 yr 40 million offer again (I'm guessing). THAT is the only way owners and organizations can enforce the franchise tag. There are repercussions if a player milks an injury, bottom line. You can milk an injury, take your 7.5 million,then walk the next year and get 34 million four year contract and not lose a cent. Funk that. I would pay the other 9 million, tab him for another year, let him rot so EVERYONE learns the lesson when he get a 1 year offer for 3 million the year after and realizes he pissed away MILLIONS with his fake ass injury.This is what irks me about some Bills fans.

It is much more satisfying to "make the player pay" or "get him back" by burying him on the bench.

Wouldn't you rather, you know, have one of your best players out on the field?

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 03:05 PM
This is what irks me about some Bills fans.

It is much more satisfying to "make the player pay" or "get him back" by burying him on the bench.

Wouldn't you rather, you know, have one of your best players out on the field?
They aren't Buffalo Bills fans. They're Buffalo Ralph's Wallet fans.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 03:07 PM

It's football. There is always a risk of injury. And I guarantee you that most of the guys are playing a bit hurt. Plantar fasciitis? Horse crap.

Byrd's a douchebag. To heck with him. I'm all for burying him on the roster. He'll be playing for league minimum in a few years and will be cut by the end of camp.

kishoph
09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
I can't help but thinking that Eugene Parker is behind Byrd's decision to milk this injury and I totally believe he's milking it, because he said he had the same thing last year and played through it.

Thief
09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
No, it wasn't. He played last year with the same injury. He had all off season to recuperate. So, it is BETTER than last year, and he wont play til it is 100%. If it aint 100% after an entire off season, it wont be 100% probably ever, and I am told this injury is never 100%. It is simply an injury you play with pain through.

Thief
09-26-2013, 03:17 PM
This is what irks me about some Bills fans.

Wouldn't you rather, you know, have one of your best players out on the field?I would rather IR him and get a player willing to work his ass off with his team.

jdaltroy5
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I would rather IR him and get a player willing to work his ass off with his team.
Sweet, we can have a team full of Chris Kelsays while players like Jason Peters and Jairus Byrd walk out the door.

That'll show 'em!

Thief
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
They aren't Buffalo Bills fans. They're Buffalo Ralph's Wallet fans.In what way? You don't pay a safety 11 million a year just becasue you have it and hamstring future years when your trying to extend your franchise RB or LT or QB. You don't let it burn a hole in your pocket especially when you can carry over unused cap space. This isn't Troy Polumalu in his prime we are talking about here folks so he has no business DEMANDING to be paid more than any safety ever. Franchising him shows we were more than willing to pay him top 5. He is asking for more then he is worth, plan and simple. He was franchised, it is the name of the game. Now play. You guys are seriously OK with a player taking 7.5, giving the "byrd" and milking his injuries?

Jarius Byrd is giving all his teammates The Bird!

- - - Updated - - -

I can't help but thinking that Eugene Parker is behind Byrd's decision to milk this injury and I totally believe he's milking it, because he said he had the same thing last year and played through it.EXACTLY! This isnt a twisting of words here people. He literally said this.

Thief
09-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Sweet, we can have a team full of Chris Kelsays while players like Jason Peters and Jairus Byrd walk out the door.

That'll show 'em!
LOL, what? The rationale here confuses me. I dont understand what you are recommending. He is choosing not to play and is being payed top 5 $$. He is the one choosing not to play. I am just saying he ain't worth a roster spot.

jdaltroy5
09-26-2013, 03:32 PM
LOL, what? The rationale here confuses me. I dont understand what you are recommending. He is choosing not to play and is being payed top 5 $$. He is the one choosing not to play. I am just saying he ain't worth a roster spot.You want guys that will "try hard" over guys that are dominant at their position.

My "rationale" is that he should've been paid in the first place.

cookie G
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
It's football. There is always a risk of injury. And I guarantee you that most of the guys are playing a bit hurt. Plantar fasciitis? Horse crap.

Byrd's a douchebag. To heck with him. I'm all for burying him on the roster. He'll be playing for league minimum in a few years and will be cut by the end of camp.

Its a clever new tactic by Eugene Parker, one with a history of holding out players.

But you can't tell a player to refuse to sign a franchise tender and give up all that money. So you concoct an injury, that way he gets paid and doesn't risk injury (or poor play) in the next year. We'll see how well it works out for them.

But burying him on the roster isn't something I'd do. He'll have trade value in a tag and trade scenario. Get a low 1st or a 2nd and I'd be fine with it.

And I'm sorry, I'm not one that thinks he's irreplaceable. I mean, he's good in pass coverage, but you can replace the 3-5 interceptions he'll get in a season.

In run coverage, he's extremely replaceable. He's a liability in that area anyways.

I just think we can spend $10 million a year better, especially with him pulling this diva act.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I actually agree with TD. If nothing else we send a message. We will not be pushed around. We will play hardball. We have plenty of cap space to burn.

I know! Remember when we played hardball with Jason Peters and we never had a contract dispute again? Good times.

And from that point on I would spread the word that if you hire Eugene Parker we will not be contacting you in free agency,

First I starting laughing

and I quietly ask other GMs and owner to join in.

Then I started :rofl:ing

I'm sure the other GMs and owners are going to line up behind Ralph's principled stand. That's certainly not going to lead to a collusion lawsuit or anything, no way.

This is seriously completely against the agreements. There is a tag for a reason and it isn't so players can take a paid year off.

And that reason is that owners want a means to keep talent. For the vast majority of the league the franchise tag would be a massive boon. I mean, if we franchised McKelvin this year he'd have signed so fast it would have left a burn mark on the table. But for other players, ones who are legitimately great, the tag holds them back and they can feel annoyed about just like you feel annoyed about him.

I know you want players who work their ass off. You know who worked his ass off Sunday? Justin Rogers.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 04:21 PM
But burying him on the roster isn't something I'd do. He'll have trade value in a tag and trade scenario. Get a low 1st or a 2nd and I'd be fine with it.
I'd bury him just out of principle. Cutting off one's nose to spite the face some might call it.

I don't think Byrd has much trade value. Certainly not a first round pick. He was hobbled a few years ago with hammies and subsequent surgery. Now with this, I think his ability to compete at the pro level will be further compromised. The Bills should look to the future.

I just think we can spend $10 million a year better, especially with him pulling this diva act.
Concur. Personally, I don't even think he'd be worth the tender even if he was playing. He's way overrated.

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
In what way? You don't pay a safety 11 million a year just becasue you have it and hamstring future years when your trying to extend your franchise RB or LT or QB. You don't let it burn a hole in your pocket especially when you can carry over unused cap space. This isn't Troy Polumalu in his prime we are talking about here folks so he has no business DEMANDING to be paid more than any safety ever. Franchising him shows we were more than willing to pay him top 5. He is asking for more then he is worth, plan and simple. He was franchised, it is the name of the game. Now play. You guys are seriously OK with a player taking 7.5, giving the "byrd" and milking his injuries?
We heard all the same **** about Peters. We never spent the "saved money" on a replacement.
We heard all the same **** about Levitre. How's our new big name free agent LG doing?
We've heard the same **** about so many players that weren't "worth the money". But we aren't near the cap. If we actually spent the money we saved on these players elsewhere, I'd agree with you. But we don't. We never do. We're never near the cap. And so there's never a good reason not to pay our good players. But the only real consequence is that Ralph will have less money in his wallet.

You're cheering for Ralph's wallet. I'm cheering for the Bills.

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I just think we can spend $10 million a year better
So what? Do you think we will?

gebobs
09-26-2013, 04:40 PM
So what? Do you think we will?

Probably not. But I'd rather piss twice that down the toilet than give this jackass a single cent.

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Probably not. But I'd rather piss twice that down the toilet than give this jackass a single cent.
I'd rather have more talent on the field.

But yeah it sure feels good to stick it to Byrd.

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2013, 04:46 PM
This whole thing is crap

Byrd is being a little ***** but I can't blame him.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 04:51 PM
This whole thing is crap

Byrd is being a little ***** but I can't blame him.

I'm glad I'm not your teammate.

BillsFever21
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I would like to see him on the field but I can't really blame him if he truly isn't 100%. It sucks for our team but almost any of us would be doing the same thing. He has one chance at a contract after this season and if he messed himself up further then he would be screwed. Unfortunately this is a business and the teams and players are going to look out for themselves. There is a lot of money to be made and lost.

He is probably looking at Anthony Spencer and Henry Melton who just suffered a knee injury while on the franchise tag this season. That injury is going to kill the money they would've received after this season on the open market.

I've lost respect for Byrd if he is able to play hurt but I don't blame him. There is already two players who have suffered serious knee injuries and one or two other franchise players have also missed time due to injury this season.

The franchise tag needs to be around to protect teams but I wouldn't be opposed to making the franchise tag a two year commitment with maybe half or more of the 2nd year salary guaranteed including the raise for the 2nd year tag. That might make players a little more happy since most of the time they only receive the first few years guaranteed at the most anyway. If the team doesn't want to keep them after the first season then the player gets to keep half of the salary he was guaranteed and sign with another team.

It would also force teams to truly decide on if they want to commit to the player and if they do then they have the player for two years instead of one year. It would give them a longer window of certainty and it would also give them more incentive to get the player signed to an extension if they really want him. It's a business and both sides are going to look out for their own interests.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
I would like to see him on the field but I can't really blame him if he truly isn't 100%.
If every player needed to be 100% before taking the field, the NFl would be done, kaput, finished. Not even reserves are 100%.

I wonder what guys like Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton and Fred Smerlas would have said if one of their teammates had come in to the locker room complaining of plantar fasciitis and whining that he wouldn't play until he was 100% all the while cashing a half million dollars in pay each week.

It sucks for our team but almost any of us would be doing the same thing. He has one chance at a contract after this season and if he messed himself up further then he would be screwed. Unfortunately this is a business and the teams and players are going to look out for themselves. There is a lot of money to be made and lost.
He shouldn't have signed then.

He is probably looking at Anthony Spencer and Henry Melton who just suffered a knee injury while on the franchise tag this season. That injury is going to kill the money they would've received after this season on the open market.
"For 10 million, I'll risk injury. For 8 million, I do nothing."

There is already two players who have suffered serious knee injuries and one or two other franchise players have also missed time due to injury this season.
So what? That's football. You can't hold out from fulfilling your contract because you think there's risk.

BillsFever21
09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Yeah lets bury Byrd on the bench and then tag him again next year for almost 9 million dollars and do it again. He just made 16 million dollars without hurting his body any. He would've received about 20 million dollars in guaranteed money had the Bills gave him a contract similar to Goldson. Then make it known that we will never draft or sign a client of Eugene Parker. That means that we're automatically excluding ourselves from many of the top players in the draft and free agency. That will show him and Eugene Parker.

This type of stuff is just too funny. The same people who wasn't willing to pay him around 20 million or so in guaranteed money over a 3 year span is willing to pay him about 16 million dollars to sit him on the bench "to show him who is boss" just to spite him.

When you have players that are this pissed off at the front office or about having to stay on the team that's a sign of bad management in the front office. This isn't the first time we have had players that couldn't wait to leave, etc.

DynaPaul
09-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Anyone who supports this nonsense is a straight up moron. Byrd's only hurting his future earnings, his teammates by leaving a hole in the secondary, and all the while stealing from the team by not doing his job. Who the hell gets paid $7.5 million a year to not do anything? That guy right there. He can whine about not getting the long term contract but that is the system that the NFLPA and owner's set up guaranteeing that if a player is franchised they'll still get paid well. He's got his money for a one year deal and is expected to play for it and not console a mild condition he's had for the past couple of years at the behest of his agent. If he had any kind of morals he'd be out on the field already.

gebobs
09-26-2013, 05:43 PM
This type of stuff is just too funny. The same people who wasn't willing to pay him around 20 million or so in guaranteed money over a 3 year span is willing to pay him about 16 million dollars to sit him on the bench "to show him who is boss" just to spite him.
He's a thief. Screw him. If he signed now for a nickel, I wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.

BillsFever21
09-26-2013, 05:45 PM
If every player needed to be 100% before taking the field, the NFl would be done, kaput, finished. Not even reserves are 100%.

I wonder what guys like Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton and Fred Smerlas would have said if one of their teammates had come in to the locker room complaining of plantar fasciitis and whining that he wouldn't play until he was 100% all the while cashing a half million dollars in pay each week.

He shouldn't have signed then.

"For 10 million, I'll risk injury. For 8 million, I do nothing."

So what? That's football. You can't hold out from fulfilling your contract because you think there's risk.

I never said I was happy with what Byrd was doing from a fan perspective and lost respect for him if he is healthy enough to play. It's a straight up side from the player point of view.

It's not like every player plays when they are hurt or Ed Reed would already be in the lineup along with many other players to start the season or there wouldn't be any players nursing injuries for a few weeks until they are healthy enough to play at a high level. If losing Byrd for 5 or 6 weeks meant getting him at his best for the rest of the season then I would make the trade off. I would rather have a player at his best for 10 games then average for 16 games or maybe even less.

And if Byrd did have a problem to begin with then it was obviously something the Bills and their doctors had to know about. If not then they are really incompetent. If that is the case then they shouldn't have signed him to the franchise tag to begin with.

Skooby
09-26-2013, 06:01 PM
He's going to show the Bills that if they tag him again, he's going to be hurt. It's his only chance at revenge, which involves hurting the Bills.

Mr. Pink
09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
His only bargaining chip he has left is to be hurt. So whether he is truly hurt or not is up for debate but he's doing the only thing he has left to ensure he's not here next year.

Oldbillsfan
09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
hes notgoing to risk his health for nothing. shame on both sides. the system needs to be changed.

DraftBoy
09-26-2013, 06:37 PM

Why? You basically told Byrd that he can sign his tag and take a full year to get to 100%. What benefit does that give the Bills?

cookie G
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
We heard all the same **** about Peters. We never spent the "saved money" on a replacement.
We heard all the same **** about Levitre. How's our new big name free agent LG doing?
We've heard the same **** about so many players that weren't "worth the money". But we aren't near the cap. If we actually spent the money we saved on these players elsewhere, I'd agree with you. But we don't. We never do. We're never near the cap. And so there's never a good reason not to pay our good players. But the only real consequence is that Ralph will have less money in his wallet.

You're cheering for Ralph's wallet. I'm cheering for the Bills.

The problem is we're talking about 2 different things. And if you want a real culture change, you have to fix what you are talking about in the post. And I agree with what you said as far as not providing adequate replacements.

But if you actually fix that problem, becoming desperate to re-sign above average talent at all costs becomes less of an issue. Byrd isn't going to affect whether we make the playoffs, much less get to the SB. He's not Kelly, he's not Bruce, and he certainly doesn't have the leadership of a Talley. He's an above average safety who is a good centerfielder and will get a few ints per year. He's not a guy I'd make a "franchise player".

If I felt this was a legitimate injury I might feel differently. Yes, I'm saying I think he's faking. And I think he's faking after getting a substantial raise and being one of the highest paid players on the team. And what he's basically doing is getting paid $7 million for essentially holding out. And now, after 3 weeks into the season, says, "I'm not playing until I feel like it, but I'm still going to pick up my check".

How far should this team go without becoming (as it may be already) the desperate kid on the block who says, "please, please, anything..just be my friend!! I'll give you my lunch money, I'll give you my bike, just be my friend!"?

I don't see that as a culture change. You can change the culture by actually replacing him.

So I agree with what you have said. But I don't see making a diva the 2nd highest paid player on your team as a positive culture change.

Mace
09-26-2013, 09:12 PM
The problem is we're talking about 2 different things. And if you want a real culture change, you have to fix what you are talking about in the post. And I agree with what you said as far as not providing adequate replacements.

But if you actually fix that problem, becoming desperate to re-sign above average talent at all costs becomes less of an issue. Byrd isn't going to affect whether we make the playoffs, much less get to the SB. He's not Kelly, he's not Bruce, and he certainly doesn't have the leadership of a Talley. He's an above average safety who is a good centerfielder and will get a few ints per year. He's not a guy I'd make a "franchise player".

If I felt this was a legitimate injury I might feel differently. Yes, I'm saying I think he's faking. And I think he's faking after getting a substantial raise and being one of the highest paid players on the team. And what he's basically doing is getting paid $7 million for essentially holding out. And now, after 3 weeks into the season, says, "I'm not playing until I feel like it, but I'm still going to pick up my check".

How far should this team go without becoming (as it may be already) the desperate kid on the block who says, "please, please, anything..just be my friend!! I'll give you my lunch money, I'll give you my bike, just be my friend!"?

I don't see that as a culture change. You can change the culture by actually replacing him.

So I agree with what you have said. But I don't see making a diva the 2nd highest paid player on your team as a positive culture change.

Yeah, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt earlier but now it's looking pretty obvious. He's shaving more of his potential earnings off his future salaries than the Bills are.

better days
09-26-2013, 10:23 PM
It is a given that all players want to be paid & to Max their value. However, their are players in the NFL that LOVE the game, have a passion for it & are willing to sacrifice their body for the game.

Guys like Ronnie Lott who had his finger amputated so he could play rather than have surgery to save the finger because that would have meant missing the rest of that season.

Much as I hate him, there is no question in my mind that Tom Brady has a love & passion for the game.

Then there are guys that do not have that love or passion for the game of football. They are only in it to make money & maybe they enjoy the fame that comes with it, but there is no LOVE or PASSION in them for the game.

JaMarcus Russell is one such player that played the game for the wrong reasons............. money & fame.

I think at this point Jairus Byrd has shown he belongs to the group of players that play the game for the love of money, not the love of the game.

If I were a GM I would do my best to only draft & sign players that have a LOVE for the game.

BillsFever21
09-26-2013, 10:36 PM
It is a given that all players want to be paid & to Max their value. However, their are players in the NFL that LOVE the game, have a passion for it & are willing to sacrifice their body for the game.

Guys like Ronnie Lott who had his finger amputated so he could play rather than have surgery to save the finger because that would have meant missing the rest of that season.

Much as I hate him, there is no question in my mind that Tom Brady has a love & passion for the game.

Then there are guys that do not have that love or passion for the game of football. They are only in it to make money & maybe they enjoy the fame that comes with it, but there is no LOVE or PASSION in them for the game.

JaMarcus Russell is one such player that played the game for the wrong reasons............. money & fame.

I think at this point Jairus Byrd has shown he belongs to the group of players that play the game for the love of money, not the love of the game.

If I were a GM I would do my best to only draft & sign players that have a LOVE for the game.

You will be passing on a lot of players if you only do that. There are many more players that love the money more then they love the game. For most players it's a job for them. For some players they have a love for the money and a love for the game. Either way every player wants to initially get paid. No matter how much love for the game Brady or Manning has I didn't see them signing reduced contracts when they had their first chance to cash in. If the Patriots or Colts weren't willing to pay them then they would've been gone. As they get older and have their money they still care about the dollars but it's more about trying to win another championship while they still can.

When they first enter the league most of them have a passion for the game and to be as great as they can. Especially with the new rookie wage scale and if they weren't drafted high in the draft. They want to get paid and once that time comes many of them lose that passion. They have already been playing football for years and they have their money. It doesn't mean they won't try to win but it's not going to eat them inside if they don't. If you only sign players that have a love for the game then you can field your team with a bunch of Chris Kelsay's.

better days
09-26-2013, 10:48 PM
You will be passing on a lot of players if you only do that. There are many more players that love the money more then they love the game. For most players it's a job for them. For some players they have a love for the money and a love for the game. Either way every player wants to initially get paid. No matter how much love for the game Brady or Manning has I didn't see them signing reduced contracts when they had their first chance to cash in. If the Patriots or Colts weren't willing to pay them then they would've been gone. As they get older and have their money they still care about the dollars but it's more about trying to win another championship while they still can.

When they first enter the league most of them have a passion for the game and to be as great as they can. Especially with the new rookie wage scale and if they weren't drafted high in the draft. They want to get paid and once that time comes many of them lose that passion. They have already been playing football for years and they have their money. It doesn't mean they won't try to win but it's not going to eat them inside if they don't. If you only sign players that have a love for the game then you can field your team with a bunch of Chris Kelsay's.

I already said ALL players want to be PAID. That is a given. But a guy like Tom Brady who has said he would like to play the game until he is 50 years old if he could is clearly NOT playing for money at this point. Neither is Peyton Manning.

Yes both of them are paid very well, but that is not the reason they play the game of football. They play because they LOVE to play. I do not think Byrd LOVES to play the game, he plays the game because he is good at it, but what he LOVES is the MONEY, NOT the game.

I realize it is impossible to have an entire team of PASSIONATE players that LOVE the game, but I would try to get as many as I could.

And that may be the reason Levitre never missed a game as a Bill. The Love of the game. The money came to him the same as it did to Brady & Manning as a byproduct of that love.

Meanwhile JaMarcus Russell will never see another dime from the NFL & I doubt Jairus Byrd will ever be paid as much as he wanted either.

jimmifli
09-26-2013, 11:05 PM

But if you actually fix that problem, becoming desperate to re-sign above average talent at all costs becomes less of an issue.

I thought we had. I thought that was what paying Mario all that money meant. Instead, it meant we lost 2 really good lineman and a really good safety, and didn't even try to replace them because we can't afford to market rates.

There just isn't any point in talking about changing the culture or anything else. Ralph won't spend the money. So Jim Overdorf goes and plays hardball and things get acrimonious, and we end up playing without both of the guys we should have signed or replaced.

In terms of possible outcomes:

1. We spend to cap. We don't overpay and if our talent won't stick around we go sign a solid replacement at a market price.
2. Ralph won't spend on replacements, but feels enough pressure from fans to resign our good players. Even if that means overpaying.
3. Ralph won't spend and fans turn on the players for hating WNY. Ralph won't pay for any talent to replace our loses.

I would love to see number 1 happen. But I've come to accept it isn't going to. So given the choice between 2 and 3, I choose 2.

PS It actually makes me feel better that some people still think number 1 is possible.

kishoph
09-27-2013, 05:43 AM
I would like to see him on the field but I can't really blame him if he truly isn't 100%. It sucks for our team but almost any of us would be doing the same thing. He has one chance at a contract after this season and if he messed himself up further then he would be screwed. Unfortunately this is a business and the teams and players are going to look out for themselves. There is a lot of money to be made and lost.

I've lost respect for Byrd if he is able to play hurt but I don't blame him. There is already two players who have suffered serious knee injuries and one or two other franchise players have also missed time due to injury this season.

With this line of thinking, it would make sense for every player that is in his last year of a contract, to sit out, so he doesn't get hurt, since they're not guaranteed anything next year.

DraftBoy
09-27-2013, 06:59 AM
I thought we had. I thought that was what paying Mario all that money meant. Instead, it meant we lost 2 really good lineman and a really good safety, and didn't even try to replace them because we can't afford to market rates.

There just isn't any point in talking about changing the culture or anything else. Ralph won't spend the money. So Jim Overdorf goes and plays hardball and things get acrimonious, and we end up playing without both of the guys we should have signed or replaced.

1. We spend to cap. We don't overpay and if our talent won't stick around we go sign a solid replacement at a market price.
2. Ralph won't spend on replacements, but feels enough pressure from fans to resign our good players. Even if that means overpaying.
3. Ralph won't spend and fans turn on the players for hating WNY. Ralph won't pay for any talent to replace our loses.

I would love to see number 1 happen. But I've come to accept it isn't going to. So given the choice between 2 and 3, I choose 2.

PS It actually makes me feel better that some people still think number 1 is possible.

Not sure its fair to say signing Mario means we lose two lineman and a safety. Its not like the money isn't there, its a convenient excuse for ownership though. Personally I don't think Levitre was staying regardless of other signings.

RedEyE
09-27-2013, 08:22 AM
I guess what really bothers me about Byrd's comments is seeing that McLovin will not be 100% on Sunday and he is trying everything possible to be out there. I think it is true that Byrd doesn't want to be in Buffalo any more. But faking an injury is a ******ed way of provoking the trade. It instantly gives leverage to any team remotely interested making it that much more difficult for Buffalo to push the trade.

Thief
09-27-2013, 11:05 AM
He's a thief. Screw him. If he signed now for a nickel, I wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.He is a thief! Trust me, I know! :-)

- - - Updated - - -

I know! Remember when we played hardball with Jason Peters and we never had a contract dispute again? Good times.

First I starting laughing

Then I started :rofl:ing

I'm sure the other GMs and owners are going to line up behind Ralph's principled stand. That's certainly not going to lead to a collusion lawsuit or anything, no way.

And that reason is that owners want a means to keep talent. For the vast majority of the league the franchise tag would be a massive boon. I mean, if we franchised McKelvin this year he'd have signed so fast it would have left a burn mark on the table. But for other players, ones who are legitimately great, the tag holds them back and they can feel annoyed about just like you feel annoyed about him.

I know you want players who work their ass off. You know who worked his ass off Sunday? Justin Rogers.I disagree, but I ain't waiting my time to argue with you.

Thief
09-27-2013, 11:06 AM
You're cheering for Ralph's wallet. I'm cheering for the Bills.Yes. I am hoping he will buy me a shinny new bicycle. DUH. lol

Bill Cody
09-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Well HE knew whether he was or wasn't injured. Think this through we're not splitting the atom here. If he was hurt and knew it, then he was intentionally trying to defraud the Bills into making him the highest paid safety in the league. And if he really wasn't hurt (and isn't now) then he's defrauding them to the tune of the 9m tender. Either way he's a fraud. As for the posters that support him, as you can see from this thread my earlier post has been proven correct. NOONE THAT SUPPORTED GIVING THIS FRAUD WHATEVER HE WANTED HAS CHANGED HIS MIND. They all apparently think stealing 9m from the Bills is absolutely ok.

BTW OP I'm calling you out on this. Either back up your claim that the Bills "low balled" Byrd or stop making **** up, it's annoying. There can be a difference of opinion on a player's value (there almost always is in any negotiation) without that meaning one side is necessarily "low balling" the other. This has been debated ad nauseum but what isn't open to debate is the Bills offered to make Byrd a top 5 paid safety. In my opinion based on the fact that Byrd is now "hurt" we offered him too much money.

GingerP
09-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Lott actually had the tip of his pinky amputated in the offseason. He taped it up and played with it after injuring it, and it was amputated in the offseason instead of undergoing surgery to try and fix it. I guess that is nitpicking because your point still stands, he loved the game so much he was willing to do that.

However, keep in mind that loyalty is a 2-way street, and Lott is a good example of that. After 10 years with SF where he sacrificed for the team, he was left exposed to SF as a Plan-B FA because the 49ers were not interested in keeping him. They spread rumors he was slowing down and was a disruptive influence, because they knew there would be fan backlash. They wanted to be rid of him without pissing off the fans. He ended up signing with the Raiders and led the league with 8 interceptions that year. He made 2 more Pro Bowls after leaving SF.

At the end of the day, it is hard to criticize the player for putting the security of a contract above the team. These guys are treated as fungible commodities, used up and tossed aside. They play a violent game and have a short window to make money off the game and set themselves and their families up. They are one injury away from serious injury, and they know if that happens they can be cut and never see a lot of the money their contract says they will be paid. The owners make a lot of money from the game, it is hard to fault a player who is a reason why that money is made from wanted his piece of the pie.

Anyone who doubts he is hurt is delusional. He went to see one of the premier foot specialists in the country and was diagnosed. He has the injury, there is no disputing the fact. I'll grant he may be hesitant to play again until he is fully healthy, and he probably already be out there if he had the security that comes with signing the big contract he is seeking. I just find it hard to criticize putting his own welfare above the team when he didn't get the contract. He has one chance at a big contract in his career and he has tens of millions riding on his health, he is protecting his investment.

Bill Cody
09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Because they've antagonized him to the point that he might not sign even if we do offer the money. See: Peters, Jason.

Just look at Henry Melton. He played the good company man, signed his tender, went to camp - and now blew out his ACL. It likely cost him millions.

So, by tagging him we get a year of pissed off Byrd playing (if he plays) tentative football to protect himself. At "only" $7 million guaranteed! A steal!

Or he could stay healthy, have another great year and make even more money. True? The players negotiated the "franchise player" provision in the CBA. It's really not such a terrible thing to get a 500% raise over your prior salary or whatever % he got, is it? I swear to God a lot of you folks on this board seem like you have no connection to the real world at all. I get sports is different but c'mon. If my boss gave me a 500% raise for the next year my reaction would probably not be "F U I want a 5 year deal or I'm going to play on the Bills Zone all day". In the economy we're in it staggers me that anyone is on board with this behavior.

To me it speaks of poor character. I know a lot of you would take an axe murderer on the team if he could score TD's but I like to root for guys that I respect. And I don't respect Byrd.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Or he could stay healthy, have another great year and make even more money. True?

He could stay healthy, have another great year, and be franchised again while goofnut fans keep saying he "needs to prove it."

The players negotiated the "franchise player" provision in the CBA. It's really not such a terrible thing to get a 500% raise over your prior salary or whatever % he got, is it? I swear to God a lot of you folks on this board seem like you have no connection to the real world at all. I get sports is different but c'mon. If my boss gave me a 500% raise for the next year my reaction would probably not be "F U I want a 5 year deal or I'm going to play on the Bills Zone all day". In the economy we're in it staggers me that anyone is on board with this behavior.

You want a real world comparison? Imagine that the Fortune 500 company across the street wants to offer you a 600% raise with twice as much PTO, stock options, and the chance to travel to the annual widget convention in Tahiti every year.

But then your boss comes in and demands that you stay in his dilapidated Mom & Pop, for less money, no security, no Tahiti, no stock, and if your performance drops then you are out after a year with no severance. Would you seriously accept that with a smile?

The issue is not what he was making before, or what he's making compared to an Erie County bus driver or whatever comparison you want to make. The issue is what he's making compared to his peers who set the market for a player of his talent.

To me it speaks of poor character. I know a lot of you would take an axe murderer on the team if he could score TD's but I like to root for guys that I respect. And I don't respect Byrd.

He's not a criminal, let's pick a different metaphor for a second here. You and several others want the Bills to play hardball with him for whatever reason, but get frustrated and furious when he plays hardball back.

Bill Cody
09-27-2013, 12:03 PM
He could stay healthy, have another great year, and be franchised again while goofnut fans keep saying he "needs to prove it."

Apparently you don't understand the franchise tag system. If he's tagged again he's guaranteed a 20% raise over the top 5 salary he earned the prior year. This was the deal the players bargained for and it's not exactly a tough deal. Byrd doesn't get to make his own set of rules.

You want a real world comparison? Imagine that the Fortune 500 company across the street wants to offer you a 600% raise with twice as much PTO, stock options, and the chance to travel to the annual widget convention in Tahiti every year.

But then your boss comes in and demands that you stay in his dilapidated Mom & Pop, for less money, no security, no Tahiti, no stock, and if your performance drops then you are out after a year with no severance. Would you seriously accept that with a smile?

The issue is not what he was making before, or what he's making compared to an Erie County bus driver or whatever comparison you want to make. The issue is what he's making compared to his peers who set the market for a player of his talent.

By this logic players should be free agents from day 1. They aren't and for many good reasons. One more time: the system that's in place was fairly negotiated by the players union and owners. Your argument is ridiculous on it's face.

He's not a criminal, let's pick a different metaphor for a second here. You and several others want the Bills to play hardball with him for whatever reason, but get frustrated and furious when he plays hardball back.

I didn't call him a criminal I called him a fraud. Which he is no matter how you slice it.

Thief
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Why? You basically told Byrd that he can sign his tag and take a full year to get to 100%. What benefit does that give the Bills?
He is doing that either way. IR gives us a roster spot.

Thief
09-27-2013, 12:11 PM
hes notgoing to risk his health for nothing. shame on both sides. the system needs to be changed.
Yes. I think if you are playing under the franchise tag you get docked game checks for injuries. Problem solved. Or it is a Per Diem contract. You are paid per game what the average of the top 5 are paid per game.

Thief
09-27-2013, 12:19 PM

It is year one with a new coach. There was a lot to assess. Why strap yourself without knowing what you have already? The first time the Bills have the option of rolling over unused cap space and choose not is the last time I am a Bills fan. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt this year. Everyone know the glaring holes now. If they do not spend that money on wanting and available free agents next year at market prices, then I will be as pissed as the next guy.

But, it isnt that we couldnt afford market rates for Byrd and Levitre, it is that someone else offered well above market rates for Levitre and Byrd is DEMANDING well over market rates. We franchised him, which is prove we were more than willing to pay "market rates".

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Apparently you don't understand the franchise tag system. If he's tagged again he's guaranteed a 20% raise over the top 5 salary he earned the prior year. This was the deal the players bargained for and it's not exactly a tough deal. Byrd doesn't get to make his own set of rules.

And he's still only getting the one year of security. Dashon Goldson got $22 million guaranteed and potentially 41 overall. Byrd would get roughly 15 and potentially nothing more if he gets injured.

By this logic players should be free agents from day 1. They aren't and for many good reasons.

And perhaps that's why real world analogies don't work for this situation? You say you get that sports are different and then you go out and say something the proves you don't get it. The sports world does not parallel the real world labor market. It's about guys at at the top .0001% of their profession.

One more time: the system that's in place was fairly negotiated by the players union and owners. Your argument is ridiculous on it's face.

Just because an agreement was fairly negotiated doesn't mean it's fair for every single person involved. Like I said, 90% of the league would do backflips if they were franchise tagged. What happens when those 90% get to vote on a deal involving the franchise tag?

I didn't call him a criminal I called him a fraud. Which he is no matter how you slice it.

You brought up the axe murderer comparison.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
But, it isnt that we couldnt afford market rates for Byrd and Levitre, it is that someone else offered well above market rates for Levitre and Byrd is DEMANDING well over market rates. We franchised him, which is prove we were more than willing to pay "market rates".

He's not even in the Top 3, how is that above market rate? (http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/guard/)

TacklingDummy
09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
How much did the Bills pay McGee?

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 12:38 PM
How much did the Bills pay McGee?

As far as I can tell, about 12-14 million for 20 starts (http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/McGee,%20Terrence.php)

But what's your point?

TacklingDummy
09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
As far as I can tell, about 12-14 million for 20 starts (http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/McGee,%20Terrence.php)

But what's your point?
He started 10 out of 48 games his last 3 years.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 12:42 PM
He started 10 out of 48 games his last 3 years.

And?

TacklingDummy
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
And?
Just saying.

It's not unheard of paying a player to do nothing.

Thief
09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
He's not even in the Top 3, how is that above market rate? (http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/guard/)

Carl Nicks- 2 time pro bowler
Logan Mankins- 5 time pro bowler
Jahri Evans- 4 time pro bowler

Levitre- None.

Davin Joseph- 2 time pro bowler
Chris Snee- 4 time pro Bowler

He was paid above market rate dude. Is he the league #4 guard? Am I missing something?

jimmifli
09-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Not sure its fair to say signing Mario means we lose two lineman and a safety. Its not like the money isn't there, its a convenient excuse for ownership though.
I'm not sure it's fair either. But looking at the recent past I think the best explanation is that we have an operating budget that is less than the cap. For a while they talked about cash to cap, but took so much criticism for it that they stopped using that phrase. Especially after a repeatedly failing to spend "cash to cap". Given their spending in recent seasons the only outlier is Mario, and it's followed by a season where 3 important players aren't on the field in Buffalo.

I agree that Andy was probably gone no matter what. This season. But he could have been resigned last season, and Byrd too. We certainly had the cap space, Ralph just didn't want to spend so much bonus money in one year. That's why I blame the Mario signing. If we had an owner willing to spend to the cap we would have a lot more talent on the field on Sundays, and we'd win a lot more games.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Just saying.

It's not unheard of paying a player to do nothing.

That's a completely different situation. We paid McGee and he got hurt. It sucks but it happens. Your plan is to pay Byrd specifically to let him "rot" on the bench out of spite.

Carl Nicks- 2 time pro bowler
Logan Mankins- 5 time pro bowler
Jahri Evans- 4 time pro bowler

Levitre- None.

Davin Joseph- 2 time pro bowler
Chris Snee- 4 time pro Bowler

He was paid above market rate dude. Is he the league #4 guard? Am I missing something?

Is Joe Flacco the #1 QB? Is Tony Romo better than Tom Brady?

Players don't get slotted by their hypothetical rankings. Guys who are at or near the top of their position leap over the guys before when they hit free agency. Joseph signed his contract two years ago so Levitre jumped him. That's what the market rate is for a top tier guard, and that's what Levitre is. It also didn't hurt that the class of interior linemen was weak this year with Moore retiring.

TacklingDummy
09-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm spiteful.
I'm paying the player $9 million and the player wants to hurt my team, I'll do my best to make sure he doesn't get paid in the future.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm spiteful.
I'm paying the player $9 million and the player wants to hurt my team, I'll do my best to make sure he doesn't get paid in the future.

We're paying him $7 million this year. If we were paying him 9, I think he'd be signed.

Thief
09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
That's a completely different situation. We paid McGee and he got hurt. It sucks but it happens. Your plan is to pay Byrd specifically to let him "rot" on the bench out of spite.

Is Joe Flacco the #1 QB? Is Tony Romo better than Tom Brady?

Players don't get slotted by their hypothetical rankings. Guys who are at or near the top of their position leap over the guys before when they hit free agency. Joseph signed his contract two years ago so Levitre jumped him. That's what the market rate is for a top tier guard, and that's what Levitre is. It also didn't hurt that the class of interior linemen was weak this year with Moore retiring.

All your showing me is Flacco and Romo are paid above market. Which in the case of a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK makes more sense. Not exactly for a guard.

TacklingDummy
09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
We're paying him $7 million this year. If we were paying him 9, I think he'd be signed.

Ok 7 million, my opinion stays the same.

- - - Updated - - -

All your showing me is Flacco and Romo are paid above market. Which in the case of a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK makes more sense. Not exactly for a guard.

The Ravens were smoking crack when they gave Flacco that much.

Thief
09-27-2013, 01:27 PM

And, BTW, the Bills have a higher yard per carry average (9th in the NFL) right now with the cheapest interior line in all of football.

Thief
09-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I agree. And he was coming off a SB MVP performance and one of the best runs in playoff history. This signing, and high contract demand, directly forced them to let other talent go. Boldin and Reed to name 2.

DraftBoy
09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure it's fair either. But looking at the recent past I think the best explanation is that we have an operating budget that is less than the cap. For a while they talked about cash to cap, but took so much criticism for it that they stopped using that phrase. Especially after a repeatedly failing to spend "cash to cap". Given their spending in recent seasons the only outlier is Mario, and it's followed by a season where 3 important players aren't on the field in Buffalo.

I agree that Andy was probably gone no matter what. This season. But he could have been resigned last season, and Byrd too. We certainly had the cap space, Ralph just didn't want to spend so much bonus money in one year. That's why I blame the Mario signing. If we had an owner willing to spend to the cap we would have a lot more talent on the field on Sundays, and we'd win a lot more games.

Agreed on all accounts.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of the total cap the Bills have spent to over the last decade. If you've got 4-5 years where they are only spending 80-85% of the cap then you have your answer for how they are operating.

stuckincincy
09-27-2013, 01:36 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Peanuts, mere peanuts...

Thief
09-27-2013, 02:13 PM
And, If I am the fan of Ralph's wallet, why am I advocating we franchise him again?

jimmifli
09-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Agreed on all accounts.

Which is why I don't really blame Byrd. Players don't want to go into the final year of their contract, that's a lot of risk and uncertainty. Especially for players that haven't had a chance to cash in yet. If they get hurt they'll never get the big payday. So Byrd strings together a few really good seasons. Seasons that are comparable to the early careers of the best safeties.

But he can't get a deal from Overdorf, because Overdorf doesn't have the cash. "Sorry Jairus you're not that important to us, we can't redo your deal this year, comeback next season". So Jairus is forced into playing his final year of his rookie contract, at full risk. And when he finally gets his chance to see free agency, rather than being rewarded for his stellar play, he gets tagged. So now he's shackled to a franchise that he knows won't spend the money required to win, and is going to fight him tooth and nail for every dollar on the next contract. That's not the kind of situation I'd want to play in either.

You know why we all think Troy and Ed are the best safeties of all time? Because in the playoffs they played like the best safeties of all time, and they got paid like the best safeties of time. Now Jarius isn't as good as them but I bet he thinks he is, or thinks he could be. And he doesn't want to waste the prime of his career playing for a team that won't spend the money required to put a talented team on the field. The kind of team that lets him showcase his skills in the playoffs.

I don't like how he's handled it. It definitely hurts the team. But a good team would have gotten him locked up before this year and avoided the entire mess. And I don't really see a way to throw some water on this fire. Unfortunately.

Thief
09-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Which is why I don't really blame Byrd. Players don't want to go into the final year of their contract, that's a lot of risk and uncertainty. Especially for players that haven't had a chance to cash in yet. If they get hurt they'll never get the big payday. So Byrd strings together a few really good seasons. Seasons that are comparable to the early careers of the best safeties.

But he can't get a deal from Overdorf, because Overdorf doesn't have the cash. "Sorry Jairus you're not that important to us, we can't redo your deal this year, comeback next season". So Jairus is forced into playing his final year of his rookie contract, at full risk. And when he finally gets his chance to see free agency, rather than being rewarded for his stellar play, he gets tagged. So now he's shackled to a franchise that he knows won't spend the money required to win, and is going to fight him tooth and nail for every dollar on the next contract. That's not the kind of situation I'd want to play in either.

You know why we all think Troy and Ed are the best safeties of all time? Because in the playoffs they played like the best safeties of all time, and they got paid like the best safeties of time. Now Jarius isn't as good as them but I bet he thinks he is, or thinks he could be. And he doesn't want to waste the prime of his career playing for a team that won't spend the money required to put a talented team on the field. The kind of team that lets him showcase his skills in the playoffs.

I don't like how he's handled it. It definitely hurts the team. But a good team would have gotten him locked up before this year and avoided the entire mess. And I don't really see a way to throw some water on this fire. Unfortunately.OMG, then he should have found a different line of work. Dude, no matter how you twist and slice he is being paid handsomely while faking an injury. He is robbing the Buffalo Bills and cheating all of his teammates.

"You know why we all think Troy and Ed are the best safeties of all time? Because in the playoffs they played like the best safeties of all time, and they got paid like the best safeties of time."

What they got paid has no bearing on the opinion of their play. They were MAJOR reasons why there team made the playoffs and they would be considered 2 of the best ever without play offs at all. They are considered two of the best ever because they consistent make game changing plays year after year. They make interceptions, they are awesome in run support, they are fast, strong, instinctive , make everyone arond them better.... and they earned every single penny.

better days
09-27-2013, 02:58 PM

I don't like how he's handled it. It definitely hurts the team. But a good team would have gotten him locked up before this year and avoided the entire mess. And I don't really see a way to throw some water on this fire. Unfortunately.

Almost $7 MILLION Dollars is not a BIG payday? Give me a break.

cookie G
09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt earlier but now it's looking pretty obvious. He's shaving more of his potential earnings off his future salaries than the Bills are.

As far as him losing potential earnings, I really don't know. There may be some team willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. I wouldn't.

jwenger
09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Well I guess he will never play then since in "his mind" he'll never be at 100%.

cookie G
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM

The sad thing is, you can probably do no. 1 for less money than you can do no. 2.

Forward_Lateral
09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Byrd's a furkcing crybaby poop sock.

jimmifli
09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
The sad thing is, you can probably do no. 1 for less money than you can do no. 2.

I guess that depends on how poorly we draft. If we don't draft many good players that fans want to keep, then 2 is definitely cheaper.

jimmifli
09-27-2013, 03:55 PM
OMG, then he should have found a different line of work. Dude, no matter how you twist and slice he is being paid handsomely while faking an injury. He is robbing the Buffalo Bills and cheating all of his teammates.
I didn't defend his behaviour. I explained it.

And I explained why it was a predictable outcome that a good front office could have avoided. Sometimes talented people can be difficult to deal with, and it's easy to say **** them and want to teach them a lesson. But Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf aren't in the lesson teaching business. They're in the business of winning football games (a business they don't seem very good at). Yes, Byrd's conduct is distasteful, but it was predictable and avoidable. And that's why I blame the Bills front office and ultimately Ralph's unwillingness to pick up the cheque.

There job is to keep and acquire talent and they failed to do it. And because of that we're 1-2.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as him losing potential earnings, I really don't know. There may be some team willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league. I wouldn't.
He will be next season.

BillsFever21
09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Eric Wood just signed a contract for the 3rd highest average salary for Centers in the NFL. Is he a top 3 center in the NFL especially with his injury issues since he entered the league? Especially when he wasn't a free agent when the contract was signed.

McKelvin's contract is only for 1.5 million less a year on average then the 10th highest paid CB. That would probably put him in the Top 15 give or take. Has McKelvin been a top 15 CB over his career? The same guy who couldn't crack the starting lineup outside of injuries the past two years?

Mario Williams was the highest paid defensive player in guaranteed money in the history of football. Is he the best DE in the NFL let alone the best defensive player in the NFL?

This is how the NFL works when it comes to free agents/contract extensions. The contracts go up every year and they can vary depending on how many other guys are free agents that season. If you don't want to pay for top talent then we can continue signing a bunch of average players for 2-4 million a year and win our average of 6 games a season. At least we will be 20 million or more under the salary cap every season.

BillsFever21
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Check that. McKelvin's average salary is 1.5 million less then the 10th highest paid base salary for this season. Either way he still got much more then better CB's did this season. Williams and Wood status is correct though and a perfect example.

gr8slayer
09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I've been done with this guy for a while.

Mace
09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Someone will pay him sure, I wouldn't either at this point. I still think his way to go was accept top 5 money with escalators on performance if he was so convinced he was all that. But had he come out of the gate, been a good soldier, and performed impressively, he'd have come out with more in the long run, assuming the quibbling level of greed 2 million vs. 4 million or settling for 3 million over a year or two creates.

Looking at it from his view yeah, he may get suffer a career ending injury, I remember Rod Kush and Jeff Nixon, but he could have one anywhere. I can appreciate he wants to maximize his earnings while he can, but not playing any is probably increasing the odds he's going to get hurt quick when he does, and he could have gone for more guarantees with lower salary, including escalators anyway for the odd million or three that hardly matters when you have a bunch of them if you aren't an idiot.

Looking back, I don't ever personally remember convincing an employer or prospective employer I was worth more by not doing whatever I intended to get paid for. He was a good piece, but not the Super Bowl winning piece anyway.

Well the Bills also could have paid him the quibbling million or 3, yes, but they didn't and write the checks, so it would probably be wise to convince them you're worth it while the opportunity presents itself, or let them do it again, and convince everyone else you're worth even more.

But whatever, as far as he goes. It would have been great to have him out there, but now, well, he clearly doesn't want to be here or he'd at least give it an attempt at lip service. Even Josh Freeman from Tampa attempted a degree of diplomacy.

IR him for bad feet, the money is gone anyway and wave as he heads off to greener pastures trying to explain himself to his future bosses on how he's worth the big bucks.

Thief
09-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Bottom line not only would I tag him again, any long term deal I offered would be lower than last year, now that he is a damaged goods prema Dona.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2013, 12:05 PM

The market for QBs is higher than guards obviously, but the fact remains that they paid above "market" and those guys are not paid according to their supposed top 10 ranks. If you look at any position in the league you'll see that. Chris Johnson isn't the #2 halfback in the NFL. Gosder Cherilius isn't the #6 offensive tackle. And so on.

Well Byrd's doesn't.

And, BTW, the Bills have a higher yard per carry average (9th in the NFL) right now with the cheapest interior line in all of football.

59 yards, nearly 15% of our total so far, came off Fred's run in the Jets game which the interior OL was completely destroyed, and Jackson broke out of the pile because he's a badass. Watch the play again (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/220771-TJ-Graham-on-the-long-Freddie-run)

If you're crediting the line for that, you're way off. With that one run removed, our Y/Carry drops all the way to 3.8 - not exactly headline material.

I agree. And he was coming off a SB MVP performance and one of the best runs in playoff history. This signing, and high contract demand, directly forced them to let other talent go. Boldin and Reed to name 2.

Two points here. First, the Ravens tried to play hardball with Flacco in the 2012 offseason. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9313075/joe-flacco-agent-joe-linta-baltmore-ravens-made-dumb-move-2012)

Flacco was prepared to sign a deal with a $16 million average but the Ravens wouldn't budge any more, and gambled that Flacco would have a bad season and come back to the table in 2013. He, of course, won that bet handily and now he's sitting on a contract worth $20 million on average. But that's only the average - his price this year is less than $7 million. Less than Marshall Yanda - a guard.

Second, are you suggesting they should have let Flacco walk to keep Boldin and Reed? Flacco is a 28 year old franchise quarterback. Boldin is a 32 year old wideout and Reed is a 35 year old safety who needed hip surgery, and both of them talked openly about retirement last year. The Ravens got burned because Birk and Lewis retired - leaving behind a lot of dead money - and because the Super Bowl shine increased the value of all of their free agents. Ellerbe went from "that guy who plays next to Lewis sometimes" to the #1 ILB in the free agent market to name one example. They are hardly the first team to have their players overrated after a Super Bowl win (1st round draft pick for Deion Branch, anyone?)

Turf
09-28-2013, 12:21 PM
I think the real question is this:

Did the Bills know or not of his injury when they tendered the offer, and up to the date he signed?

If they knew, then there is no issue.

If they didn't know, I would consider pulling the offer, taking him off the roster and fighting it out legally.

sudzy
09-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Bottom line not only would I tag him again, any long term deal I offered would be lower than last year, now that he is a damaged goods prema Dona.

That's kind of how I feel about it. You want to play games with me? Well, I can play that game, too. I know that doesn't help the Bills win anytime some. But, when have they ever been concerned with that?

Thief
09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I think the real question is this:

Did the Bills know or not of his injury when they tendered the offer, and up to the date he signed?

If they knew, then there is no issue.

If they didn't know, I would consider pulling the offer, taking him off the roster and fighting it out legally.you mean the same injury he played last year with?

Bill Cody
09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
And he's still only getting the one year of security. Dashon Goldson got $22 million guaranteed and potentially 41 overall. Byrd would get roughly 15 and potentially nothing more if he gets injured.

boo hoo. Players get franchised. In your mind it's a hardship. I disagree but let's pretend it is. Does not getting max dollars give Byrd a pass to fake injury?

And perhaps that's why real world analogies don't work for this situation? You say you get that sports are different and then you go out and say something the proves you don't get it. The sports world does not parallel the real world labor market. It's about guys at at the top .0001% of their profession.

If you want to call playing a game a profession ok. The salaries of these players are paid by us fans. I think fans are entitled to players playing if/when possible not slacking.

Just because an agreement was fairly negotiated doesn't mean it's fair for every single person involved. Like I said, 90% of the league would do backflips if they were franchise tagged. What happens when those 90% get to vote on a deal involving the franchise tag?
wow. This is not a hard concept. He signed the tender, did he not? Fair/unfair it's part of the CBA. Players don't get to pick and choose what they want to follow. This conversation is depressing. I'm out.

You brought up the axe murderer comparison.

It wasn't meant as a direct comparison.

Meathead
09-30-2013, 12:18 AM
things could not have gone worse for byrd since he decided not to accept the bills offer as the third-ish highest paid safety in the league
- chronic foot injury exposed
- all the other bills safeties are playing great
- his heart now routinely questioned

he will be lucky to be the tenth highest paid safety next season. i bet its more like half of what he was asking for. dumbass

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2013, 07:11 AM
boo hoo. Players get franchised. In your mind it's a hardship. I disagree but let's pretend it is.

For him it is. For several others it is. Ask Anthony Spencer or Henry Melton, or Brent Grimes before that.

Does not getting max dollars give Byrd a pass to fake injury?

I don't agree that he's faking, he's just unwilling to play hurt. There is a difference. If the Bills think he's actually making the whole thing up, then they can fight to get his salary back. Teams have done that before when players walk out on contracts.

If you want to call playing a game a profession ok.

That's what I call it because that's what it is.

wow. This is not a hard concept. He signed the tender, did he not? Fair/unfair it's part of the CBA. Players don't get to pick and choose what they want to follow. This conversation is depressing. I'm out.

I wish he hadn't signed the tender, obviously, but the Bills also have options under the CBA. They could have rescinded the tag at any point before he signed it and let him walk, they could have traded him and still can, they can IR him, or they can cut him. But they didn't do any of that, because they wanted to maximize their value for him. But so does Byrd.

PromoTheRobot
09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I read somewhere that Jairus Byrd might play Thursday if his pedicure is dry by then.

PTR

better days
09-30-2013, 12:13 PM
For him it is. For several others it is. Ask Anthony Spencer or Henry Melton, or Brent Grimes before that.

I don't agree that he's faking, he's just unwilling to play hurt. There is a difference. If the Bills think he's actually making the whole thing up, then they can fight to get his salary back. Teams have done that before when players walk out on contracts.

That's what I call it because that's what it is.

I wish he hadn't signed the tender, obviously, but the Bills also have options under the CBA. They could have rescinded the tag at any point before he signed it and let him walk, they could have traded him and still can, they can IR him, or they can cut him. But they didn't do any of that, because they wanted to maximize their value for him. But so does Byrd.

If Byrd wanted the security a long contract offers, he should have taken the Bills offer.

He is the one that decided to gamble on the one year deal. BUT the Bills paid him that MONEY & it is BS that he is refusing to play for the money he has TAKEN.

DraftBoy
09-30-2013, 12:39 PM
If Byrd wanted the security a long contract offers, he should have taken the Bills offer.

He is the one that decided to gamble on the one year deal. BUT the Bills paid him that MONEY & it is BS that he is refusing to play for the money he has TAKEN.

So his options are either take what the team offers or suffer? Not sure the NFLPA sees it that way.

Turf
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Paying 7 million dollars to a player with a chronic injury that will always haunt him, and that has already missed 25% of the season, is not good management. If he can't suit up, he has no value.

Mr. Pink
09-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm willing to bet once Byrd signs a long term deal with someone he'll never miss another game with his foot problem.

trapezeus
09-30-2013, 01:51 PM
if a williams can't go on thursday AND byrd doesn't play, he's creating a very bad image for himself and getting a contract.

yes, he's injured. this is the time of the season everyone is playing somewhat hurt already. if he is over 50% ready, he has to get out there for the team. what team is willing to pay top dollar for a guy who isn't going to rally for the team when they desperately need him.

i think byrd was more than justified to hold out and take limited TC time, but now he's crossing into the being either injured or unreliable. Two things top contracts don't pay for.

jimmifli
09-30-2013, 01:58 PM
if a williams can't go on thursday AND byrd doesn't play, he's creating a very bad image for himself and getting a contract.

yes, he's injured. this is the time of the season everyone is playing somewhat hurt already. if he is over 50% ready, he has to get out there for the team. what team is willing to pay top dollar for a guy who isn't going to rally for the team when they desperately need him.

i think byrd was more than justified to hold out and take limited TC time, but now he's crossing into the being either injured or unreliable. Two things top contracts don't pay for.
We'll have to wait and see what other teams think during the offseason. My hunch is that a GM looks at it as a nasty contract negotiation gone wrong and not a reflection of Byrd's willingness to play hurt.

As such, I suspect he'll sign a contract making him the top paid safety in the NFL during the offseason.

GingerP
09-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Mario Williams missed the final 3 games of 2010 with a hernia and the final 11 games of 2012 with a torn pectoral and that didn't stop the Bills from making him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. As long as Byrd gets back in there at some point and shows he is healthy, somebody will pay him. He has 4 years of tape that establish what he can do, he doesn't need to rush back to make a killing in FA.

Skooby
09-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Whatever new contract that he gets will include a performance clause that he needs to be on the field or he loses money, it solves the my feet are killing me excuse we're getting now. I'm also glad that we picked up Jim Leonhard, the ball seems to come close or near him quite often.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Whatever new contract that he gets will include a performance clause that he needs to be on the field or he loses money, it solves the my feet are killing me excuse we're getting now. I'm also glad that we picked up Jim Leonhard, the ball seems to come close or near him quite often.

Yeah good luck with that.

jimmifli
09-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't see that happening, at least for the Bills.

He's unlikely to sign any offer from the Bills and the tag doesn't include those clauses. The Bills will be faced with giving Byrd a 20% raise for his performance this season or letting him sign elsewhere.

Skooby
09-30-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't see that happening, at least for the Bills.

He's unlikely to sign any offer from the Bills and the tag doesn't include those clauses. The Bills will be faced with giving Byrd a 20% raise for his performance this season or letting him sign elsewhere.

I would say his leverage based on the quality of his play is going to go away.

jimmifli
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I would say his leverage based on the quality of his play is going to go away.
No. He gets a raise if they tag him again. That's how the tag works.

Turf
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Its not like Byrd was hurt in the preseason or doing anything. He hadn't played in 8 months. When exactly is he going to heal. I know what you're going to say. That's my issue.

Skooby
09-30-2013, 02:43 PM
No. He gets a raise if they tag him again. That's how the tag works.

Agreed on the tag, how about a long-term contract ??

Jeff1220
09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
For the record, I'm a distance runner who has dealt with plantar fasciitis for years. It can be painful, but with it is very treatable. I never missed more than two days in a row because of it. I feel it a little during warm up, then it's gone. I've run plenty of marathons and 50k trail races for fun with the same issue that's keeping this guy from suiting up and earning his millions.

jimmifli
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Agreed on the tag, how about a long-term contract ??

He isn't going to sign a long-term contract offer from the Bills

justasportsfan
09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm not missing Byrd right now and players playing with injuries are making him look bad. Even Fitz played with a broken rib for crying out loud.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm not missing Byrd right now and players playing with injuries are making him look bad. Even Fitz played with a broken rib for crying out loud.

After he got paid.

better days
10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
So his options are either take what the team offers or suffer? Not sure the NFLPA sees it that way.

Well the NFLPA AGREED with the Franchise tag so yeah, they DO AGREE with that & Byrd is a member of the NFLPA so he voted on it as well.

HAMMER
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Anyone that defends Byrd is out of their mind. The guy had an offer that would have made him wealthy beyond any reasonable standard. He and Parker chose to gamble and now they will pay for that gamble. If the PF is such a big problem then who is going to give him a 25 mm bonus next year, if it's not and he is lying then he will be exposed as having weak character. No one wants to pay top dollar for that. It is clear as day he and Parker are playing games. I think it's too late to mend this fence, I think the Bills knew this a while back and that's why they loaded up on safeties in the draft. If Byrd doesn't want to be here then F him, let him rot on the bench and make other teams wonder why he isn't/can't play. A year of no football will cost him more than what he would have had to compromise in negotiations with the Bills. Everyone is replaceable (except Manning and Brady), our young safeties now have a great opportunity.

better days
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Mario Williams missed the final 3 games of 2010 with a hernia and the final 11 games of 2012 with a torn pectoral and that didn't stop the Bills from making him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. As long as Byrd gets back in there at some point and shows he is healthy, somebody will pay him. He has 4 years of tape that establish what he can do, he doesn't need to rush back to make a killing in FA.

Well, a couple big differences. Mario is a DL while Byrd is a Safety. The safety position is not as highly valued.

And at this point I think Byrd will be viewed as a malcontent. Still it only takes one team to love him.

Mr. Pink
10-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Anyone that defends Byrd is out of their mind. The guy had an offer that would have made him wealthy beyond any reasonable standard. He and Parker chose to gamble and now they will pay for that gamble. If the PF is such a big problem then who is going to give him a 25 mm bonus next year, if it's not and he is lying then he will be exposed as having weak character. No one wants to pay top dollar for that. It is clear as day he and Parker are playing games. I think it's too late to mend this fence, I think the Bills knew this a while back and that's why they loaded up on safeties in the draft. If Byrd doesn't want to be here then F him, let him rot on the bench and make other teams wonder why he isn't/can't play. A year of no football will cost him more than what he would have had to compromise in negotiations with the Bills. Everyone is replaceable (except Manning and Brady), our young safeties now have a great opportunity.

Character? Why would he care about his character to a bunch of joe blow nobody fans? Byrd doesn't care about you, me or anyone else on this board. He cares about his bank account and providing for his family. He'll get a top dollar deal with another organization, go on the field, be the same probowl caliber player he was just for another team and then Bills fans can bemoan him and hate on him some more.

Bill Cody
10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Character? Why would he care about his character to a bunch of joe blow nobody fans? Byrd doesn't care about you, me or anyone else on this board. He cares about his bank account and providing for his family. He'll get a top dollar deal with another organization, go on the field, be the same probowl caliber player he was just for another team and then Bills fans can bemoan him and hate on him some more.

Sounds right but it is a remarkably cynical view. When he talks about "them" the "them" are his team mates, apparently they're a bunch of joe blow players just like the joe blow nobody fans you reference.

I've been watching the game a long time. Trust me, that attitude wouldn't fly with the old timers. Being part of a team meant being all in and you sacrificed to win and not to let down the guys in the locker room. Guess it's just a business to some players these days. Byrd is a BUM.

TacklingDummy
10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Save the money on Byrd, sign Rivers in the off-season.