PDA

View Full Version : Another Good Analysis from Bills Rumblings - EJ's Missfires in depths

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2013, 06:22 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/9/26/4772898/bills-vs-ravens-2013-ej-manuel-vs-eight-man-pressure-fronts

I guess I'll be watching for this matchup the next game: 8 men in the box and one-on-one pressing the receivers.

It looks like Rex correctly took out the short dump off routes from EJ, put pressure on him and betted that he can't beat Jets deep. Now Rex also geared his coverage more onto Stevie and Chandler, making it even harder for EJ in the sense that he had to beat the Jets deep with connecttions to rookie Wood or 2nd year man Graham who has yet to prove that he belongs in NFL.

That is baptism by fire. EJ, Wood, Graham (for now) are the kind of pieces the Bills Brass are hoping to be key contributors when the team become competitive. It's sink or swim for these guys this season I guess.

RedEyE
09-27-2013, 06:35 AM
I love these break downs and this one give me hope. If you look at each play, the short route, the inside guy should be the immediate read when Manuel sees the box stacked. Its really just a simple adjustment of thought.

If he can adjust from the read his throw becomes a quicker release and has the potential of obtaining huge gains in these situations. You beat the blitz just once when they stack the box like this and I guarantee the D won't make the attempt again.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I'd say the positive is that EJ identified single coverage and tried to attack there.

The bad side is that 1) accuracy, that's critical because when the play is there, you gotta make it. I guarantee you that until you do, defenses are going to keep attacking you that way. And it looks like EJ has been working on this this past off day. I guess Marrone & EJ all knew that's critical for being an NFL QB. 2) Identify alternatives quickly when the single coverage favors defense. Sometimes CB wins the one-on-one battle and you have to find alternatives instead of just heave the pass blindly anyway which EJ has been doing. We don't have AJ Green out there (the fact Wood and Graham did not win even half the one-on-one battle at this stage complicate things). But I'm giving EJ the slack there because this is the stuff that separates Tom Brady from average starting NFL QBs. EJ being a rookie, Wood being a rookie, Graham being a new starter, growing pains are unavoidable.

Pinkerton Security
09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Ej is actually being aggressive, trying to give his player a chance in one-on-one to make a play, he just isnt making the throws. Lets hope his accuracy issues dont become a trend.

RedEyE
09-27-2013, 08:17 AM
I'd say the positive is that EJ identified single coverage and tried to attack there.

The bad side is that 1) accuracy, that's critical because when the play is there, you gotta make it. I guarantee you that until you do, defenses are going to keep attacking you that way. And it looks like EJ has been working on this this past off day. I guess Marrone & EJ all knew that's critical for being an NFL QB. 2) Identify alternatives quickly when the single coverage favors defense. Sometimes CB wins the one-on-one battle and you have to find alternatives instead of just heave the pass blindly anyway which EJ has been doing. We don't have AJ Green out there (the fact Wood and Graham did not win even half the one-on-one battle at this stage complicate things). But I'm giving EJ the slack there because this is the stuff that separates Tom Brady from average starting NFL QBs. EJ being a rookie, Wood being a rookie, Graham being a new starter, growing pains are unavoidable.

Absolutely, identifying the single coverage is a great thing, but its the wrong read in this case, in my opinion. If the D is showing an all in blitz, hitting the quick route across the middle sends a message to the DC ("go **** yourself"). And in a few of these plays you had SJ and Woods in the slot. The YAC would be dramatic.

The King
09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Here's one thing that might not be popular. EJ is missing his receivers deep yes. But he's also protecting the team, the only reason the Bills stayed in that game last week is because he didn't turn the ball over. I believe he can make these throws, but he's going to have to take some more risks, and as fans we have to be patient when those throws turn to INT's. Let's face it TJ Graham is not going to fight for the ball or win battles if the DB tries to make a play.

Throwing the outside shoulder is EJ's way of trying to avoid the turnover. Right now he's missing.

Also I said it in my Comparison article it's going to be all press/man from here out until we can exploit it.

DynaPaul
09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
But I'm giving EJ the slack there because this is the stuff that separates Tom Brady from average starting NFL QBs.

Stop saying that name around here.

Ed
09-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Here's one thing that might not be popular. EJ is missing his receivers deep yes. But he's also protecting the team, the only reason the Bills stayed in that game last week is because he didn't turn the ball over. I believe he can make these throws, but he's going to have to take some more risks, and as fans we have to be patient when those throws turn to INT's. Let's face it TJ Graham is not going to fight for the ball or win battles if the DB tries to make a play.

Throwing the outside shoulder is EJ's way of trying to avoid the turnover. Right now he's missing.

Also I said it in my Comparison article it's going to be all press/man from here out until we can exploit it.
The bolded part is why I would like to see Marcus Easley actually involved in this offense a little bit. I know he's not as fast as TJ, but he's still fast enough and is really our only WR that brings a ton of size to the position. Fighting for tough catches and beating defenders deep are two things that Easley demonstrated he's capable of during the preseason. I'm not saying make him a starter, but he's had zero involvement in the offense so far this season. There has to be a way to utilize his abilities for certain plays. I say take some deep shots with Easley and at least he'd have a much better chance of breaking up an INT than Graham.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
There is a lot involved in playing WR than simple size or speed. Understanding what defenses are trying to do and adjusting accordingly is a big part (to be on the same page as the QB). Easley may have size, but if he cannot be where EJ is expecting him to be, size does not matter. Likewise Graham may have speed, but so far he's very poor at tracking the ball at the right time which makes some of EJ's throw looked goofy. There is just a lot of feeling out for these guys out there since they are put together for just 3 games.

The safest route is the dump offs and short passes. The Jets smartly took that way, so like I said, it's up to EJ and company to take another step to keep up.

trapezeus
09-27-2013, 12:48 PM
his read was to always go to the straight down sideline guy instead of the crossing pattern. Perhaps he changes that. because if he hits that early. the LB will start dropping more. and that will make the one on one sideline ball easier.

totally agree that graham doesn't fight for positioning and gives up on plays. not just on running back at the end of the game. it's pretty unique. even players routinely categorized as lazy don't look so uninterested as TJ.

jdaltroy5
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I really do enjoy these segments.

The good news is that he's recognizing the single coverage and attempting to throw it deep.

I think he's just so worried about making a mistake that he's trying to throw it to a spot where only his receiver can get it.

Unfortunately, he's not even giving his receiver a chance to make a play on it.

justasportsfan
09-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Easley may have size, but if he cannot be where EJ is expecting him to be, size does not matter. Likewise Graham may have speed, but so far he's very poor at tracking the ball at the right time which makes some of EJ's throw looked goofy.

I don't think the problem are the wrs. Fitz didn't have a problem hitting SJ, Graham, Chandler. Ej is misfiring everyone. I think he's just not in sync with the recievers. The chemistry is not there yet.