PDA

View Full Version : Luck vs Manuel (and other QB's through 3 games)

The King
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I started noticing some similarities between Andrew Luck's rookie season and EJ Manuel which may help some folks here back off the ledge and become a bit more patient.

Through their first 3 games both QB's find themselves at 1-2. Both QB's won their second game inside the final seconds. Luck with a Vinatieri FG, obviously Manuel with a pass to Stevie Johnson. Luck lost to the Bears and the Jaguars, Manuel to the Patriots and the Jets.

Here are their stats through 3 games.

Luck: 65/122 - 53% - 846 yards - 4TD - 4INT
Manuel: 64/108 - 59% - 689 yards - 4TD -1INT

In Andrew Luck's 6th game he faced Rex Ryan, his numbers were 22/44 for 280 yards and 0TD's 2 INT's.

So while EJ looked to be completely lost last week, his numbers are right on par with one of the best rookie QB's we've seen in a while.

Here are some other rookie stats from 3 starts.

RG3: 60/89 - 67% - 747 yards - 4TD - 1 INT Started out 1-2 (It's worth noting the Redskins started our 3-6)
Tannenhill: 54/102 - 50% - 615yards - 1TD - 4INT Started 1-2

Newton: 70/117 - 59% - 1,012yards - 4TD - 4INT Started 1-2

Bradford: 69/117 - 52% - 650yards - 4TD -5INT Started 1-2

Stafford: 55/113 - 48% - 598 yards - 2TD - 5INT Started 1-2

What can be taken from this? That we don't know anything yet. Manuel is on par with some of the other top QB's taken, most have gone on to be successful. Let's be patient this goes to show regardless of who you root for that rookie QB's are not lighting things up right out the gate. It takes time.

stuckincincy
09-27-2013, 11:29 AM
I believe in fluffy goodness.

jdaltroy5
09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Why preach patience when unmitigated rage and irrational conclusions are so much more fun?

Pinkerton Security
09-27-2013, 12:14 PM
I believe in fluffy goodness.

not quite sure if this was sarcasm but whats wrong with comparisons? I guess a full 1st season comparison may be better, but I see nothing wrong with comparing a player to his contemporaries and how they did their rookie year.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree that it's too early to close the book on Manuel, but how much separation did you expect after three games? I'm sure if we showed stats for guys like Blaine Gabbert and Josh Freeman after three games they would also be somewhere between 600-900 yards, with 3-5 TDs, and 3-5 INTs.

stuckincincy
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
not quite sure if this was sarcasm but whats wrong with comparisons? I guess a full 1st season comparison may be better, but I see nothing wrong with comparing a player to his contemporaries and how they did their rookie year.

It was gratuitous sarcasm. I shouldn't have posted it. Apologies...

trapezeus
09-27-2013, 12:57 PM
too small a sample size in my opinion. it's definitely interesting, but i think through 8 games we'd have a better idea.

and at this point, i don't want to see comparisons to others, i want to see how he progresses game to game. he gets a pass for first road game. he probably gets a pass for abysmal line play and lack of running game. if he has a lackluster game vs the ravens but shows accuracy and the right reads to get 2-4 consistent drives that moves the ball, great.

i suspect we will still find it hard to grade him after the ravens game because i really believe hacket has nothing different planned. run run pass.

here's hoping to being wrong.

BillsFever21
09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
I have hope for Manuel and I'm far from writing him off. Trying to use these comparisons with other QB's after several games doesn't mean squat though. You can play that game with almost any QB/player in the league. I remember we saw the same type of posts during the Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards era's.

The King
09-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I have hope for Manuel and I'm far from writing him off. Trying to use these comparisons with other QB's after several games doesn't mean squat though. You can play that game with almost any QB/player in the league. I remember we saw the same type of posts during the Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards era's.

That's kind of the point of this. In my summary I say we don't know anything. This was written to give perspective, since a lot of people are making it seem like he's a bust already.

Forward_Lateral
09-27-2013, 03:35 PM
The first two games, the coaches put Manuel in a position to succeed. Last week, they put him in a position to fail. They better have a plan for when Baltimore puts 8 in the box. It better not be just loft crappy passes out of bounds while the WRs run terrible patterns either.

justasportsfan
09-27-2013, 03:39 PM
It should be very interesting how EJ bounces back from a bad game . It should be very telling how his mindset is. Not looking for great nos. but I hope to see him make throws he's supposed to make .

stuckincincy
09-27-2013, 03:47 PM
The first two games, the coaches put Manuel in a position to succeed. Last week, they put him in a position to fail. They better have a plan for when Baltimore puts 8 in the box. It better not be just loft crappy passes out of bounds while the WRs run terrible patterns either.

1st possession, run two draws. They've been running the same defensive scheme -with success - for years.

Don't Panic
09-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Whatever you do, Don't Panic. :cool:

Beebe's Kid
09-27-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I was just wondering if the guys that you are comparing him to are all "franchise" QBs still?

Mr. Pink
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
So far EJ reminds me of Akili Smith.

Akili had a great career! Oh wait, he didn't even get to play his entire rookie year before being yanked.

Akili's first three starts. 1-2 56/104 54% 550 yards 2 TDs 2 INTs

Very similar QBs, similar builds, similar accuracy issues, similar dump off passers, similar runners.

One good game, one average game, one horrible game. Only thing Manuel doesn't have to worry about is being yanked Sunday as we don't have a Jeff Blake type veteran QB on this roster now that Kolb is hurt. Smith was yanked in his 4th start after mirroring his 3rd start.

better days
09-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Akili had a great career! Oh wait, he didn't even get to play his entire rookie year before being yanked.

Very similar QBs, similar builds, similar accuracy issues, similar dump off passers, similar runners.

One good game, one average game, one horrible game. Only thing Manuel doesn't have to worry about is being yanked Sunday as we don't have a Jeff Blake type veteran QB on this roster now that Kolb is hurt. Smith was yanked in his 4th start after mirroring his 3rd start.

EJ had 2 TD's in his first game. The only way he does not play the entire year is if he gets injured. And I expect him to throw a lot more of those TDs.

kishoph
09-28-2013, 10:26 AM

I'd be willing to bet that you never saw full NFL game where Akili Smith played, yet you're going compare him to EJ Manuel just to be a troll.

Mr. Pink
09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I'd be willing to bet that you never saw full NFL game where Akili Smith played, yet you're going compare him to EJ Manuel just to be a troll.

I'm willing to bet I saw Akili Smith's first start live in person as I was at the game.

ServoBillieves
09-29-2013, 02:49 AM
People are already writing off/closing the book on EJ? Damn this fanbase is pathetic.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
People are already writing off/closing the book on EJ? Damn this fanbase is pathetic.

If we had a real backup QB right now, another start like last week and you'd have to think about yanking him out.

Fortunately for EJ, we don't have a real backup so he has nothing to worry about.