PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Williams - Take A Deserving Bow

Night Train
09-29-2013, 07:21 PM
"Never takes a play off " describes him to the letter.

What a baller. He's been very effective at Safety and had to fill in at CB, where we know he lacks the deep speed ... but they guy strikes me as someone one who will lay out every play. Comes up fast on the run and has broken up several passes already. Great reactions.

This scheme has been a godsend for his abilities and he is thriving.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Player of the game.

Don't Panic
09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
I so look forward to seeing what this D can do when 100% healthy. It is going to be fun to watch.

Mr. Miyagi
09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Dareus played well today too. Man he was running over the OL all day.

Homegrown
09-29-2013, 08:15 PM
agreed!! ..Williams came to play today ...keep it going

GvilleBills
09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Helluva good game. Take notes Byrd. That's how you lay out for your teammates.

Turf
09-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Dareus is a tank when he decides he wants to get there. He just churns those feet, and ya better watch out, freight trains a comin.

psubills62
09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
I so look forward to seeing what this D can do when 100% healthy. It is going to be fun to watch.
100% healthy will almost never happen. Just need to continue to build enough depth that we're OK without some players. The dropoff from Gilmore to Justin Rogers is clearly much larger than it should be.

I agree with the general sentiment of your post - would like to see how the defense does with some of its better players on the field, like Gilmore and Byrd.

Meathead
09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
jairus who?

jimmifli
09-29-2013, 10:41 PM
jairus who?
I don't understand this mentality.

Jairus was the best player in our secondary and played at a probowl level with Dave Wanstache rushing four, never blitzing, no stunts, no nothing D. He made plays without a dline running over the offense. It's scary to think how good he could be in Pettine's scheme.

That takes nothing away from Williams. He was incredible today and it's nice to know we've got a guy capable of playing at his level. Personally I'd love to see him and Byrd on the field at the same time.

Gilmour, McLovin, Byrd and Williams is a much better secondary than I ever thought it would be. If they ever get to play together :(

With our Dline and that secondary and 2 more Kiko's we'd have an elite defense.

BuffaloRedleg
09-29-2013, 10:57 PM
His celebration dances are the absolute worst. They almost make me regret him making good plays.

OpIv37
09-29-2013, 11:27 PM
I just don't get it. This guy was useless last year.

But this year, he's been great at S and has more than held his own at CB. I have no explanation for it but it it is the rare pleasant surprise from this team.

kingJofNYC
09-29-2013, 11:50 PM
He's got some confidence now, which CB always need. Another difference is how much more zone we played today, he can jam guys up and get some help over the top. Lets hope he keeps it up, could be a versatile player.

YardRat
09-30-2013, 05:43 AM

But this year, he's been great at S and has more than held his own at CB. I have no explanation for it but it it is the rare pleasant surprise from this team.

Scheme and coaching.

We have forgotten what it's like to have a real, honest to god defensive coordinator.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2013, 05:55 AM
If he keeps going that way, the Bills may talk to him before they talk to Byrd about extension as an Safety. You know how much Pettine like versatility. We found out that Aaron can be a (very) good safety who can play corner - pretty good at that. Unlike the previous two coach staffs who thought he's a corner who can play safety.

And the Bills should've learned from Byrd situations: talk before the final year. This is A. Williams' third year.

K-Gun
09-30-2013, 07:09 AM

i think its simple, really. he's big and physical. wanny's scheme minimized his strengths and magnified his weaknesses by asking him to play soft zone coverage on an island. this year he's being asked to attack and be physical. when he was playing cb he got hs hands on the wr's off the line rather than playing 7 yards off.

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Scheme and coaching.

We have forgotten what it's like to have a real, honest to god defensive coordinator.

This. At least Pettine understands that you have to adjust your defense to what you have on the field. You can't just play man coverage with 8th string corners and expect to succeed.

Captain Obvious
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM

I have no explanation for it

It is because you dont understand schemes and coaching and players strengths and weaknesses. Once you have decided a player sucks it never occurs to you or you cant accept a player might be better under different circumstances

justasportsfan
09-30-2013, 10:23 AM

He credits coaching making a difference this year particularly Donnie Henderson.

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't know how he got labelled "slow", but he didn't look slow yesterday catching Smith from behind. :D

OLDSRIP
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Player of the game.

I agree. Probably the most improved player on the team so far this season. I hope he stays healthy and gets to play safety for the rest of the year. He hits much harder than Byrd does.

JCBills
09-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Development.

People seem to expect too much from young guys early on. Yeah, 1st rounders are expected to contribute right away, but that doesn't even always happen either. Of course it always helps to get a pleasant surprise like Kiko, but that really isn't the norm. Look at baseball. The top prospects sometimes take years in the minors to get ready. Williams is only 23 years old.