X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

EJ Manuel after 4 games

I felt he finally played like a rookie this past game, Some nice short passes. Some hit and miss (INT) on the long balls, Lesson on forced tight throws (to Stevie which turned to INT - these throws must be on time in sync in traffic), and some juggled handoffs.

EJ missed some time in pre-season. The first 2 games almost like feeling out from our coaches and opposing teams. Those two games showed that he has a natural composure/leadership, but really not much more. Then the Jets are the first team really had time and tape to game plan for him and exposed him somewhat. I feel from this point on, you may see typical rookie QB stuff from EJ. Hopefully later in the season, he shows improvement and adjustments to what they throw at him especially for repeat defensive looks that gives him trouble the first time.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: EJ Manuel after 4 games

The throw to SJ hit him right in the hands.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

He certainly gets some wiggle room this year and will need to grow into the position. For a rookie he has an incredible amount of poise and there are some flashes of greatness for sure.

Adjustments and time.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

The kid, at times, looks like he belongs in this league. I like the way he carries himself on the field.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
          I felt he finally played like a rookie this past game, Some nice short passes. Some hit and miss (INT) on the long balls, Lesson on forced tight throws (to Stevie which turned to INT - these throws must be on time in sync in traffic), and some juggled handoffs.

EJ missed some time in pre-season. The first 2 games almost like feeling out from our coaches and opposing teams. Those two games showed that he has a natural composure/leadership, but really not much more. Then the Jets are the first team really had time and tape to game plan for him and exposed him somewhat. I feel from this point on, you may see typical rookie QB stuff from EJ. Hopefully later in the season, he shows improvement and adjustments to what they throw at him especially for repeat defensive looks that gives him trouble the first time.
          Agree and disagree.

I agree that we will likely see some rookie play for a while.

Where I disagree is that we've only seen rookie play.

1. The game winning drive against the Panthers was not a rookie drive. Hell Fitz would have lost that game.
          2. The fade throw to Stevie for the TD over double defenders was not a rookie throw.
          3. The long TD throw to Woods in this past game was not a rookie throw.
          4. The lack of INT's and at least 1 TD throw through 4 games was not rookie.
          5. The poise and high completion percentage in half the games was not rookie. The other half was.

Like I said in the other post, He's better than Fitz already and we were looking for an upgrade at least.

There is no reason to think he won't continue to minimize the errors. He may or may not ever become a franchise QB. But he has played much more like a solid NFL QB than a rookie in my opinion.
          Last edited by X-Era; 09-30-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
            The throw to SJ hit him right in the hands.
            EJ threw it too fast into his chest.

Comment

• K-Gun
              Deal with it
              • Jul 2003

What I'm seeing from EJ that looks like "rookie" play is on the mental side of the game. It seems like at times he gets flustered under pressure and forgets his footwork. Also, it looks to me that things are moving fast for him, and at times its caused hesitation combined with this frantic energy. At some point the game is going to slow down for him. By biggest concern w/ the accuracy & footwork issues comes from the mental side of the game. He's had enough big passes in a perfect positon to see the upside. But for him its going to be about correcting not just the footwork, but to develop the mental consistency to throw those strikes when the wr is open. That INT under throw to Woods is the perfect example.
              [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

You hate to harp on a guy about the speed in which he releases the ball. I mean Brett Favre has broken receiver fingers on 5 yard zone hooks. The window of opportunity is slight. I say the receivers need to do a better job of catching the ball despite the velocity.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Like I said in my thread, he played much, much better than his stat line showed today.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    Like I said in my thread, he played much, much better than his stat line showed today.
                    He actually played very, very badly. If Manuel had been even average yesterday we would have blown them off the field.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

His best throws were the incompletions to Woods and Chandler.
                      All the Bills games this year have been close because of inconsistent QB play.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        He actually played very, very badly. If Manuel had been even average yesterday we would have blown them off the field.

If Lee Smith doesn't fall down, this isn't even a conversation. I'm not even going to mention Woods' over turned TD, or Chandler's over turned catch.

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

I really wouldn't mind seeing a QB coach added to the coaching roster. I can't imagine the young Hackett has the time to game plan and provide EJ with the proper insight to better himself. Hackett himself is new to this level of play. Bring in a QB coach that has the time to help EJ.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                            If Lee Smith doesn't fall down, this isn't even a conversation. I'm not even going to mention Woods' over turned TD, or Chandler's over turned catch.
                            On the other hand if Stevie Johnson doesn't out wrestle the CB against him for EJ's fumble, the Bills probably end up losing this game.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                              On the other hand if Stevie Johnson doesn't out wrestle the CB against him for EJ's fumble, the Bills probably end up losing this game.
                              He didn't out wrestle anybody, lol. He crawled onto the ball. If Cordy Glenn doesn't eat a bucket of chicken before the game, he picks up EJ's first fumble instead of pretending it was vegetables.

Comment

Working...
                              X