• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Two Unsung Defensive Heroes

With all the love for Kiko early on, the hate for Mario, and the surprising play of Aaron Williams two players have been overlooked in my opinion as we have talked about each game.

DT/DE Marcel Dareus-19 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 3 TFL, 1 Pass Defense
    For a guy who plays two positions (NT and 5 Tech DE) where his job is to take up space and hold up blockers he's done a great job shedding lineman and making plays. Yesterday was a breakout performance after a down year in a bad scheme for his skill set. Compared to a perennial pro bowl player like Ngata (14 tackles, 1 sack) he's on pace to do what Ngata has never done before and that's eclipse 50 tackles (project stands at 76) and get over 6 sacks (projection stands at 12). Talk all you want about tackles down the field, or coverage sacks but honestly how far down the field do you think a 330lbs Dareus is chasing, and so what if it's a coverage sack? This guy is playing lights out right now.

OLB Manny Lawson-28 Tackles, 1 Sack
    Lawson leads the Bills in solo tackles and has been a force setting the edge consistently on the strongside. He's quick off the ball and gets into the backfield to either make the play or re-route the RB. Lawson has been solid in pass coverage though he's been over shadowed by Alonso and his INT's. Lawson is constantly around the ball and rarely out of position. In this defense where he can attack and get downhill he's looking every bit like what San Francisco thought they had found in 2009 (68 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks, 3 FF). If we get that for a 2nd or 3rd Tier FA signing its a big time win.

These two guys are going just as much as the names Alonso, and Williams to help keep the Bills in ballgames and the deserve more credit.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Two Unsung Defensive Heroes

Dareus is a bust, and we only signed Lawson because Ralph was too cheap to pony up for a real free agent.

Try and keep up, please.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Lawson is solid. He might not wow you with a bunch of sacks or tackles, but he's almost always where he's supposed to be.

Dareus was destroying plays left and right yesterday.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Man our linbacker play from last year to this is has done a 180. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
          Man our linbacker play from last year to this is has done a 180. Opposite ends of the spectrum.
          QFT. I can't remember the last Bills LB who had 4 picks in an entire season.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Lawson fits the Pettine scheme perfectly. He's really playing well.

Dareus is starting to figure things out.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

I don't think Lawson is unsung. Many people have been singing his praises around here since week 2. As for Darues expectations are higher, consistency has always been his biggest issue, hopefully his confidence continues to grow and the play continues.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

I thought Alan Branch did a nice job yesterday as well.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

What a difference coaching makes. *cough * Tdummy *cough* Mr Pink

our db's did a great job. Not taking anything away Dareus, but 2 of his sacks were coverage sacks .
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• wbat27
                    • Apr 2003

Yard rat is a tool

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                      • Aug 2012

I didn't think Lawson was going to have an impact and was more of a "filler" signing, but he's played really well up to this point.

And Dareus really is starting to live up to the third overall billing. Once our LBs start meeting guys in the hole a little better, I think our run defense numbers are going to be vastly improved.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post

our db's did a great job. Not taking anything away Dareus, but 2 of his sacks were coverage sacks .
                        And he was pushed back off the line by 1 offensive linemen the majority of the time.

Notice how out of his 7 total tackles only 2 of them came for a loss of yards and those would be the 2 coverage sacks.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          And he was pushed back off the line by 1 offensive linemen the majority of the time.

Notice how out of his 7 total tackles only 2 of them came for a loss of yards and those would be the 2 coverage sacks.
                          how do you know if he wasn't told to hold ground and let the others make the rush? Don't care about what you think was supposed to happen but this isn't the game to be blasting anyone on th D.

34 total rush yards by the Ravens.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            I don't think Lawson is unsung. Many people have been singing his praises around here since week 2. As for Darues expectations are higher, consistency has always been his biggest issue, hopefully his confidence continues to grow and the play continues.
                            Well, I said Lawson & Branch would help the Bills win games when they were signed. Stuck in Cincy said Lawson was MEDIOCRE when the Bills signed him, but I disagreed with him. Both Lawson & Branch are GOOD players.

And I think a big reason the Bills played so well against the run Sunday was because both Lawson & Branch were on the field.

And Lawson is so versatile he played like 5 different positions on Sunday even covering receivers. He is a GREAT fit for Pettine's defense.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Also, Jim Leonhard is playing his butt off. I've always liked him. He's not the biggest, fastest or strongest, but he's another guy who always seems to be in the right spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X