PDA

View Full Version : La Canfora says Tensions mounting between Byrd and the Bills. Really?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-01-2013, 09:23 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23910699/tension-mounting-with-injured-star-safety-jairus-byrd-bills

I don't know Byrd can play CB or RB, that's where Bills need the most right now.

DBrown77
10-01-2013, 09:28 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23910699/tension-mounting-with-injured-star-safety-jairus-byrd-bills

I don't know Byrd can play CB or RB, that's where Bills need the most right now.

I am sure getting Byrd back and putting Williams at CB would be ideal at this point with all the injuries. Leonard and Searcy arent exactly all-stars.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
I am sure getting Byrd back and putting Williams at CB would be ideal at this point with all the injuries. Leonard and Searcy arent exactly all-stars.Hmmm. I guess you didn't see how many plays both Leonherd and Searcy made last Sunday.

justasportsfan
10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Leonard and Searcy arent exactly all-stars.

they aren't but they are playing well enough that I'm not missing Byrd.

PTI
10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
They need to dump him to a team that stinks, and I would even take a 3rd for him, as long as they think it is a high draft pick.

The King
10-01-2013, 09:36 AM
That article provided no value whatsoever.

OpIv37
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
That article provided no value whatsoever.
The only thing I took out of it: Parker is Carrington's agent too and they turned down contract offers from Buffalo this off-season.

So, now Parker has two injured clients with no guarantee of getting paid after this season ends, no doubt lowering their value. Why do guys still work with this asshat? At least he got Peters paid- now he's ****ing the team and not getting his clients their payday.

jdaltroy5
10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Sources say that that article may or may not have been completely worthless.

Pinkerton Security
10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I went from hoping Byrd would sign an extension so i could buy his jersey, to disappointed he didnt really negotiate much with the Bills, to hating his guts and not ever wanting to see him touch the field again. The way he has handled this (and/or the way his agent has) is actually sickening to me, whether he deserves the money or not. If you're not happy with the offer you've been given, go out and show that you deserve more instead of sulking and basically refusing to play. Imagine if he went out and had 8 INTs this year, how that would help his stock come FA time in the offseason, as opposed to teams seeing him sit out and be greedy. I think hes honestly hurting himself in terms of potential contract offers.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
The only thing I took out of it: Parker is Carrington's agent too and they turned down contract offers from Buffalo this off-season.

So, now Parker has two injured clients with no guarantee of getting paid after this season ends, no doubt lowering their value. Why do guys still work with this asshat? At least he got Peters paid- now he's ****ing the team and not getting his clients their payday.Parker thinks he has leverage because the Bills have been poor and are so desperate to keep their good players that they'll overpay. Since Whalley comes from the Pittsburgh organization I would say he's sadly mistaken.

DBrown77
10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Hmmm. I guess you didn't see how many plays both Leonherd and Searcy made last Sunday.

I also saw them struggle the week before. Although i want Byrd traded at this point i dont see the negative in having a Pro-Bowl safety playing for you.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I also saw them struggle the week before. Although i want Byrd traded at this point i dont see the negative in having a Pro-Bowl safety playing for you.Not if he doesn't really want to play for us. I'd rather have less than ultra talented players who give 110% on the field than a superstar malcontent. And I wouldn't call Byrd a superstar, either his agent convinced him he is or he had a big head in the first place.

Thurmal
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM

"Strong" offers as well. He's just another player Bills fans overrate and, if he and Parker want to play hardball, he can simply leave. He has as many blocked field goals as career sacks, I'll bet.

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 10:01 AM

So, now Parker has two injured clients with no guarantee of getting paid after this season ends, no doubt lowering their value. Why do guys still work with this asshat? At least he got Peters paid- now he's ****ing the team and not getting his clients their payday.
He definitely seems to prefer brinkmanship and conflict in his negotiations. As to why they still use him? He's pretty good at and gets his clients a lot of money.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
He definitely seems to prefer brinkmanship and conflict in his negotiations. As to why they still use him? He's pretty good at and gets his clients a lot of money.So was Leigh Steinberg. I think somebody clipped his ass.

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 10:31 AM
So was Leigh Steinberg. I think somebody clipped his ass.
Well unless someone starts wasting his clients I don't see that having much effect on demand.

Something I learned in my few years of business: When it comes to negotiations business schools will talk about maximum value creation, mutual benefit and ethics, but an ******* can just use those as tactics.
Nice guys can be good negotiators, but *******s make great negotiators.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Well unless someone starts wasting his clients I don't see that having much effect on demand.

Something I learned in my few years of business: When it comes to negotiations business schools will talk about maximum value creation, mutual benefit and ethics, but an ******* can just use those as tactics.
Nice guys can be good negotiators, but *******s make great negotiators.No doubt you have to be a dick, but there's a difference between a dick and someone that overvalues the services of his client by 40%.

RedEyE
10-01-2013, 10:42 AM
At some point you would think the coaching staff would be able to say to Byrd, "Hey, we really need you out there. Man up!". Instead they are treating this situation with kid gloves. Right now Byrd is taking up a roster spot and not helping his team. I'm OK with trading him at this point. Get what you can for him now before its too late.

GingerP
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I am sure getting Byrd back and putting Williams at CB would be ideal at this point with all the injuries. Leonard and Searcy arent exactly all-stars.

They are playing much better than anticipated and deserve praise. They have been creating turnovers.

That said, the Bills are 27 in defense and 19th in points allowed. They are 21st in allowing 3rd down conversions. There is room for improvement.

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 10:45 AM
No doubt you have to be a dick, but there's a difference between a dick and someone that overvalues the services of his client by 40%.
Yeah. Well if you're both the difference is about an extra 25%.

justasportsfan
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Everyone so far is stepping up and wants to play even if they are injured except for Byrd who's making more than the others.

RedEyE
10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Everyone so far is stepping up and wants to play even if they are injured except for Byrd who's making more than the others.

I'd love the media to ask Byrd about that.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Yeah. Well if you're both the difference is about an extra 25%.Well, certainly none of us are privy to any of the details of the negotiations, but it seems that Byrd and Parker weren't willing to budge, probably because they think they have the Bills' by *******. 7 million is a fair contract for both sides. I also believe Byrd now has a hard on for the organization. Unfortunately, until he gets on the field we can't trade him and get any value. I don't think Byrd is anywhere near a great safety and wants to be paid like a young Troy Palomalu. It's a bad situation and exacerbated by Byrd refusing to play.

psubills62
10-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I went from hoping Byrd would sign an extension so i could buy his jersey, to disappointed he didnt really negotiate much with the Bills, to hating his guts and not ever wanting to see him touch the field again. The way he has handled this (and/or the way his agent has) is actually sickening to me, whether he deserves the money or not. If you're not happy with the offer you've been given, go out and show that you deserve more instead of sulking and basically refusing to play. Imagine if he went out and had 8 INTs this year, how that would help his stock come FA time in the offseason, as opposed to teams seeing him sit out and be greedy. I think hes honestly hurting himself in terms of potential contract offers.
If this continues and he doesn't end up playing much this season, he's likely setting himself up for disappointment in free agency, a la Lance Briggs-style.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-01-2013, 11:21 AM
If this continues and he doesn't end up playing much this season, he's likely setting himself up for disappointment in free agency, a la Lance Briggs-style.

Or he's setting himself up for big money Vincent Jackson style

Buffalogic
10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
La Confora is just terrible. I don't understand why networks are bidding to employ his lack of common sense and his lazy eye.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
How long does it take this type of injury to recover?

trapezeus
10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
i figure the trade market is only with teams who have expectations to have a long run, or teams that just lost a safety.

So for arguement sake, what are the teams that would be willing to trade for him? I honestly don't know.

i think with the secondary so battered and so in need of an allstar, his reluctance to come out on the one-year offer shows how little he values the team. I think football players who have that personality of a winner and leader would say, "i'm coming in."

He's clearly in it just for the money. which is what a lot of people do, so i don't knock him that much. but still, there are the leaders of defense who make huge salaries, specifically because they stay in the game no matter what.

Bill Cody
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Depends on your contract

PromoTheRobot
10-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Apparently longer than an off-season since he's too hurt to play without stepping on a football field all year. Yeah, where do I sign up to pay $9/M a year for that *****t?

Then consider Byrd is using up a roster spot and valuable oxygen. I say IR him and send him home. Then tag him next year and let Mr. Super Agent negotiate a trade.

PTR

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, certainly none of us are privy to any of the details of the negotiations, but it seems that Byrd and Parker weren't willing to budge, probably because they think they have the Bills' by *******. 7 million is a fair contract for both sides. I also believe Byrd now has a hard on for the organization. Unfortunately, until he gets on the field we can't trade him and get any value. I don't think Byrd is anywhere near a great safety and wants to be paid like a young Troy Palomalu. It's a bad situation and exacerbated by Byrd refusing to play.

His numbers were good enough to make him the highest paid safety in the NFL. Since people don't seem to understand this I'll restate, signing the top contract means you're top for a year, top 3 for a year and top 10 ish for the last few years, averaging out at about top 5 ish during that time. I personally think he's comfortably in that range, but I get that others don't. I think starting a 5 year deal at or slightly below market rate while salaries climb isn't really a fair deal, as he would likely end up averaging below top 10 for the term of his contract.

The Bills hoped to use the tag as leverage to get a below market price for him and it backfired.

I do agree that he's done with the organization and needs to be traded ASAP. They can't tag him next season as the cost is too high, the distraction too big and the damage done to the organization's reputation too detrimental to make a retag logical. If they don't trade him this season, there will be even less value in the offseason. I suppose they could tag and trade, but Byrd would hold all the power when negotiating with other teams so that seems unlikely.

I suspect the current radio silence from the Bills is because they don't want to stir the pot while they shop him.

DraftBoy
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM

If Carrington hits the market he's going to get a good deal. There is a reason the Bills have no desire to let that happen.

coastal
10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
His numbers were good enough to make him the highest paid safety in the NFL. Since people don't seem to understand this I'll restate, signing the top contract means you're top for a year, top 3 for a year and top 10 ish for the last few years, averaging out at about top 5 ish during that time. I personally think he's comfortably in that range, but I get that others don't. I think starting a 5 year deal at or slightly below market rate while salaries climb isn't really a fair deal, as he would likely end up averaging below top 10 for the term of his contract.

The Bills hoped to use the tag as leverage to get a below market price for him and it backfired.

I do agree that he's done with the organization and needs to be traded ASAP. They can't tag him next season as the cost is too high, the distraction too big and the damage done to the organization's reputation too detrimental to make a retag logical. If they don't trade him this season, there will be even less value in the offseason. I suppose they could tag and trade, but Byrd would hold all the power when negotiating with other teams so that seems unlikely.

I suspect the current radio silence from the Bills is because they don't want to stir the pot while they shop him.
Stellar analysis.

Sullivan will be ripping this off in 3.. 2.. 1...

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Stellar analysis.

Sullivan will be ripping this off in 3.. 2.. 1...I doubt it. Jerry Sullivan can't read. He dictates his column to a secretary because he can't write either.

sukie
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I wonder at what point (if not already eclipsed) does Byrd's actions come across as a problem. I would bet that this causes the view of him to fall into the "problem" category for front offices and his nagging fasciaitis making him seem injury prone. Value of a player doesn't come from street clothes

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I wonder at what point (if not already eclipsed) does Byrd's actions come across as a problem. I would bet that this causes the view of him to fall into the "problem" category for front offices and his nagging fasciaitis making him seem injury prone. Value of a player doesn't come from street clothes

I'd imagine other GMs would look at it as a tough negotiation and not a reflection of Byrd's toughness, willingness to play hurt or quality as a teammate.

Mario had many similar criticisms during his free agency and it didn't stop most fans from signing his praises, or a bunch of NFL front offices from pursuing him. Good players get big contracts, the rest is just noise.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-01-2013, 01:13 PM

I say again: Vincent Jackson. You'll have a hard time finding a more acrimonious contract negotiation than that one, and he still got crazy paid.

MikeInRoch
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Byrd is less hurt than either Freddy or CJ were when they went back in the game this week.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Byrd is less hurt than either Freddy or CJ were when they went back in the game this week.If it was Chris Spielman, Mike Ditka, Jim Kelly and countless other players, they would just take a cortisone shot and get on the field. That's why I think he is done with the Bills and is just biding his time until we get tired of his BS and deal him.

X-Era
10-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Bill Cody
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd imagine other GMs would look at it as a tough negotiation and not a reflection of Byrd's toughness, willingness to play hurt or quality as a teammate.

you've got quite an imagination

BillsFever21
10-01-2013, 05:13 PM
If they only offered him 7 million a season that would put him 7th in the league in average salaries for safeties. Plus we don't know how much guaranteed money they offered him. If that is all they offered him then I can see why he decided to take his chances this season. He is higher then a top 7+ safety in the league over the past 4 years.

You would think they would've offered him more then the franchise tag. The Bills low balled him and pissed him off. They could've settled on a contract like Goldson and been done with it. He would only be a few hundred thousand a year from being out of the top 10 altogether. It's not just the average salary but the guaranteed money which is the biggest thing. We don't know how much guaranteed money they offered him.

Skooby
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
If they only offered him 7 million a season that would put him 7th in the league in average salaries for safeties. Plus we don't know how much guaranteed money they offered him. If that is all they offered him then I can see why he decided to take his chances this season. He is higher then a top 7+ safety in the league over the past 4 years.

You would think they would've offered him more then the franchise tag. The Bills low balled him and pissed him off. They could've settled on a contract like Goldson and been done with it. He would only be a few hundred thousand a year from being out of the top 10 altogether. It's not just the average salary but the guaranteed money which is the biggest thing. We don't know how much guaranteed money they offered him.

Lets say they paid him #3 money, would he've been on the field from game 1 this season ?

better days
10-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Lets face it we have no idea how much was asked for or how much was offered.

The only thing we do know is Byrd signed the FA tender in order to get paid for the year & he is now refusing to play citing a BS injury.

And if the injury were serious & real, why would Byrd not accept even $7 Mill per year? My opinion is he wants out of Buffalo more than he is concerned about the money.

GvilleBills
10-01-2013, 07:40 PM
At some point you would think the coaching staff would be able to say to Byrd, "Hey, we really need you out there. Man up!". Instead they are treating this situation with kid gloves. Right now Byrd is taking up a roster spot and not helping his team. I'm OK with trading him at this point. Get what you can for him now before its too late.
The coaching staff is treating this very delicately because they know his talent. They want him here.
He's being a Parker-driven douche, but he's a top S and we're better with him.

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2013, 09:25 PM

You make the worse threads ever. Even worse than Skooby. That's really saying something.

Meathead
10-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Lets face it we have no idea how much was asked for or how much was offered.

actually we do

the bills publicly claim they told byrd they would pay him top five money, which to me means it probably would have ended up third highest paid safety. byrd never contested that claim at all, clearly indicating he wanted to be absolute top paid safety or no deal

its just dumb not to accept a contract like that. you get paid a ton, your mind is at ease and you can play freely, and if you play better than your contract you ask to renegotiate in two or three seasons

going for absolutely top dollar from the team that drafted and developed you there is stupid imo. its not like the bills lowballed him, they were ready to pay him

psubills62
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I say again: Vincent Jackson. You'll have a hard time finding a more acrimonious contract negotiation than that one, and he still got crazy paid.
Still don't think it's all that analogous. Byrd should certainly get a good contract (my previous example, Briggs, did also), but teams love to sign WR's in free agency. They're flashy and they are easy to sell. Not sure safeties are in a similar position.

I also would doubt that Vincent Jackson had an injury that lingered for years that caused him to sit many games. The fact that Byrd is spending his contract year sulking is not a good sign for what he'll do when he gets paid. Even Albert Haynesworth put some effort into his contract year.

trapezeus
10-02-2013, 12:25 PM
do we know the difference between top 5 money and #1 money?

i hate having to go get another guy in the draft when we have a young proven guy.

i also just would love to know what the deal with the foot is. part of me thinks if you believe byrd, that if it's super serious, it's on the verge of being an achilles tear. and if you think he's like 85% and not going, that is so damning because plantar faciatis hurts, but when it's kind of ok, you can do whatever you want on it with a little bit of pain.

i'm torn on this.

Bill Cody
10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
do we know the difference between top 5 money and #1 money?

i hate having to go get another guy in the draft when we have a young proven guy.

i also just would love to know what the deal with the foot is. part of me thinks if you believe byrd, that if it's super serious, it's on the verge of being an achilles tear. and if you think he's like 85% and not going, that is so damning because plantar faciatis hurts, but when it's kind of ok, you can do whatever you want on it with a little bit of pain.

i'm torn on this.

question: if he is really hurt then why was he demanding #1 safety money? and did he tell the Bills during the negotiation "hey I've got a foot problem and I may miss part or all of this season with it" This was not a new injury.

feldspar
10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, guys have missed games with planter fasciitis before...Ashton Youboty had that for a while and missed a bunch of games because of it. So it's not like it doesn't happen. How much Byrd is taking advantage or purposely sitting out, I don't know. Neither do you people. It does look bad.

All I know is that Byrd has made at least $1.72 MILLION dollars so far this year for doing absolutely nothing except be a disgruntled distraction.

stuckincincy
10-02-2013, 03:38 PM
If Carrington hits the market he's going to get a good deal. There is a reason the Bills have no desire to let that happen.

Maybe, but he's on IR as of Sept. 24th. Quadriceps, according to CBSSports site: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup

GingerP
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
All I know is that Byrd has made at least $1.72 MILLION dollars so far this year for doing absolutely nothing except be a disgruntled distraction.

He has missed 4 games, so that is $1,627,294. If he misses this week he will make $2,034,118 without playing a down.

Basically, he is going to be paid $406,824 per week for 17 weeks.

TacklingDummy
10-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Trade Byrd and use the money saved on Rivers.

The Bills do that and they are a playoff team next year.

WagonCircler
10-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Hmmm. I guess you didn't see how many plays both Leonherd and Searcy made last Sunday.

Yeah, but that was against the Ravens. What were they, 0-16 last year? ;)

coastal
10-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I finally read the article...

Furthermore, some in the Bills’ locker room believe the Byrd situation, coupled with a dynamic last season in which some teammates and staff members believed Mario Williams’ wrist injury was largely psychosomatic at times

what have I been saying?

Beebe's Kid
10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
If only they all salivated at the opportunity to face career ending injury as the fans do to suck down $10 beers.

Beebe's Kid
10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
The coaching staff is treating this very delicately because they know his talent. They want him here.
He's being a Parker-driven douche, but he's a top S and we're better with him.

Because they all make their living in football, not distract themselves from their lives with it. That is a very important distinction that is being missed.

pmoon6
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I finally read the article...

what have I been saying?:rofl: