PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Stevie Johnson's One-catch Game

RedEyE
10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/2097/breaking-down-johnsons-one-catch-game

Didn't see this posted.

Not sure why Rodak found it necessary to pin-point Johnson rather than focus on the positive.
Still and interesting perspective.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure he was being negative about Johnson.

malvado78
10-01-2013, 12:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/2097/breaking-down-johnsons-one-catch-game

Didn't see this posted.

Not sure why Rodak found it necessary to pin-point Johnson rather than focus on the positive.
Still and interesting perspective.

That is a terrible excuse for reporting. It is worthless to go to the length to post and analysis like that and not close the article with some kind of drawn conclusion.

To me this is what you get when the person does not understand what they are reporting on.

"Hey look at this data!"
"Ok what does it mean?"
"I don't know just look at it."

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Looks to me he's blaming EJ for Johnsons lack of production. He's a rookie, give the kid a break.

1. Incomplete pass on 1st-and-10 from Baltimore 41-yard line (9:22 in first quarter) -- Johnson is open on inside slant route, but Manuel's throw is behind him. Johnson gets his hands on the ball, but can't make the catch.

2. Incomplete pass on 2nd-and-12 from Baltimore 30-yard line (7:33 in second quarter) -- This was a play-action pass with some roll-out action on Manuel, but he ended up rolling into pressure from Terrell Suggs. He was hit as he threw and his pass sailed over Johnson, who was open down the right sideline, near the pylon.

3. Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-4 from Buffalo 45-yard line (4:48 in second quarter) -- This was a designed quick-strike pass from the shotgun on third-and-short. The protection was good and Johnson had a clean break off the line of scrimmage. However, Manuel's pass, intended for Johnson over the middle, came in before Johnson broke in his route. After the play, Manuel motioned towards Johnson, suggesting that there may have been a mis-communication.

4. Completed pass for gain of minus-1 on 3rd-and-8 from Buffalo 22-yard line (14:02 in third quarter) -- Not a whole lot went right on this play. It was a designed bubble screen to the left, with Johnson behind Woods in a two-receiver stack. There was also a play-action element, with Manuel faking an inside draw to Fred Jackson. The problem was Jackson was aligned to the left of Manuel, so the right-handed rookie QB had to wait until Jackson cleared toward the line of scrimmage before throwing to Johnson. His pass came in high, slowing down Johnson off the catch, while Woods couldn't block his man.

5. Intercepted pass on 3rd-and-8 from Buffalo 14-yard line (11:23 in third quarter) -- Another third-and-long from the shotgun, the protection was solid, opening a passing lane for Manuel on his throwing side (the right). Johnson was part of a three-receiver stack to the left side, again breaking towards the middle of the field. This time, Johnson broke in his route and was open, with two Ravens defenders breaking towards him. Manuel was late to react but his throw still came in on-target. It bounced right off Johnson's hands and into those of linebacker Daryl Smith.

6. Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-5 from Baltimore 47-yard line (8:59 in third quarter) -- This time on third-and-short, Manuel was under center, with Johnson the lone receiver to the left against press coverage. Manuel had good protection, a passing lane, and Johnson was able to shake Corey Graham off the line. However, Johnson's route broke inside after only one yard, so Manuel held onto the ball, waiting for Johnson to cut downfield (another three yards were needed for the first down). By that time, Graham had recovered and a Ravens safety was closing from the inside. Manuel sensed the safety and threw behind Johnson, but he wasn't ready for that placement of the ball, stumbling backwards and unable to make the catch. This is one of those tough throws that needs to be made in a small window, and Manuel might have been a tad late.

malvado78
10-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Looks to me he's blaming EJ for Johnsons lack of production. He's a rookie, give the kid a break.

1. Incomplete pass on 1st-and-10 from Baltimore 41-yard line (9:22 in first quarter) -- Johnson is open on inside slant route, but Manuel's throw is behind him. Johnson gets his hands on the ball, but can't make the catch.

2. Incomplete pass on 2nd-and-12 from Baltimore 30-yard line (7:33 in second quarter) -- This was a play-action pass with some roll-out action on Manuel, but he ended up rolling into pressure from Terrell Suggs. He was hit as he threw and his pass sailed over Johnson, who was open down the right sideline, near the pylon.

3. Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-4 from Buffalo 45-yard line (4:48 in second quarter) -- This was a designed quick-strike pass from the shotgun on third-and-short. The protection was good and Johnson had a clean break off the line of scrimmage. However, Manuel's pass, intended for Johnson over the middle, came in before Johnson broke in his route. After the play, Manuel motioned towards Johnson, suggesting that there may have been a mis-communication.

4. Completed pass for gain of minus-1 on 3rd-and-8 from Buffalo 22-yard line (14:02 in third quarter) -- Not a whole lot went right on this play. It was a designed bubble screen to the left, with Johnson behind Woods in a two-receiver stack. There was also a play-action element, with Manuel faking an inside draw to Fred Jackson. The problem was Jackson was aligned to the left of Manuel, so the right-handed rookie QB had to wait until Jackson cleared toward the line of scrimmage before throwing to Johnson. His pass came in high, slowing down Johnson off the catch, while Woods couldn't block his man.

5. Intercepted pass on 3rd-and-8 from Buffalo 14-yard line (11:23 in third quarter) -- Another third-and-long from the shotgun, the protection was solid, opening a passing lane for Manuel on his throwing side (the right). Johnson was part of a three-receiver stack to the left side, again breaking towards the middle of the field. This time, Johnson broke in his route and was open, with two Ravens defenders breaking towards him. Manuel was late to react but his throw still came in on-target. It bounced right off Johnson's hands and into those of linebacker Daryl Smith.

6. Incomplete pass on 3rd-and-5 from Baltimore 47-yard line (8:59 in third quarter) -- This time on third-and-short, Manuel was under center, with Johnson the lone receiver to the left against press coverage. Manuel had good protection, a passing lane, and Johnson was able to shake Corey Graham off the line. However, Johnson's route broke inside after only one yard, so Manuel held onto the ball, waiting for Johnson to cut downfield (another three yards were needed for the first down). By that time, Graham had recovered and a Ravens safety was closing from the inside. Manuel sensed the safety and threw behind Johnson, but he wasn't ready for that placement of the ball, stumbling backwards and unable to make the catch. This is one of those tough throws that needs to be made in a small window, and Manuel might have been a tad late.

I agree that was the conclusion it looked he was trying to draw but a concluding paragraph would have made the point...

imbondz
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I didn't think he was making any conclusions tho. He says in the article: But since Johnson is a player, who over the long haul, needs to contribute significantly to the Bills' offense, it's worth digging deeper into his six targets Sunday and taking notes to see if any problems carry forward.

It's more of a let's see what happened, note it, so if there are future issues we can come back to this. or something like that. I didn't take it as a Stevie slight, more of a 'hmmm, why didn't the Bills best WR make many plays last game'...

imbondz
10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
it's more of a slight on EJ's passing.

Meathead
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
looks like a analysis for fantasy players more than anything. stevies been a pretty good fantasy play as the bills top wideout so its fair to ask why he put up a goose egg

and btw if you havent realized it yet, hes not wr1 anymore. at best hes wr1a and woods is wr1b. but pretty soon woods is gonna be the clearcut wr1, which would make stevie one of if not the best wr2 in the league

ive never been more excited about watching a rookie develop than i am about woods. idk how a guy thats four games into his career can look like hes been in the league a decade but he does. smart, smooth as silk, and fantastically soft hands. that guy is gonna catch passes here a looong time

SpikedLemonade
10-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Stevie is popular in Buffalo really only because there are so few decent players, but he would not be a #1 WR elsewhere.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Stevie is popular in Buffalo really only because there are so few decent players, but he would not be a #1 WR elsewhere.Hmmm. Two players in the top 20 in sacks, three players in the top 15 in picks, the two headed rushing attack that has us second in the league in rushing. That's seven players that are not only decent, but pretty good. But we expect nothing less than empty headed comments from you anyway.

How's that 2-14 prediction sitting with ya? We already have the two wins. Are we going to lose the rest of our games?

Maybe Stevie isn't the "number one" receiver anymore. He gets doubled a lot, but who cares? The other guys are contributing so why does it matter? Of course, in past he was one of the only receivers in the league to have success against the great Darrell Revis. He may not fit your deluded criteria as "No 1", but he would start on almost every other team in the league.

HAMMER
10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I personally don't feel like SJ is anything special, and he certainly lacks maturity. Woods is already creeping into the #1 slot, won't be long.

JCBills
10-01-2013, 05:01 PM

Peyton Manning had a 71.2 QB rating as a rookie. I guess the Colts should have cut his ass then, right? Rogers took years to develop, clearly he was a wasted pick too, right?

imbondz
10-01-2013, 05:20 PM
The thing about Stevie is he has way more potential than what he's gotten to so far.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
How's that 2-14 prediction sitting with ya? We already have the two wins. Are we going to lose the rest of our games?

Yo Dummy, spike predicted 3-13. I predicted 2-14.
If they win more than 2 games, great, they exceeded my expectations.

Set the bar low so that there's never disappointment.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
The thing about Stevie is he has way more potential than what he's gotten to so far.My only criticism of Stevie Johnson is he doesn't come through in the clutch a lot of times and he costs the team with his antics.

Oh wait, that was two.

It seems he may have improved on the second point. When he caught the game winner against Carolina it looked like he wanted to gyrate or jump in the crowd, but he stopped himself and just took a thankful knee.

Anyway, I can't fault Stevie this year, he's been open a lot but Manuel has been off target. If Suggs doesn't hit EJ on Sunday, Stevie most likely has a 60 yard TD. One thing that is overlooked is SJ plays hurt, he wants to be on the field. So despite some foibles, he's a great team player.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Yo Dummy, spike predicted 3-13. I predicted 2-14.
If they win more than 2 games, great, they exceeded my expectations.

Set the bar low so that there's never disappointment.I see. Psychological defense mechanism. I seem to remember 2-14 from Spike, but then again I'm old. Might be the onset of Alzheimers.

Beebe's Kid
10-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Stevie needs perfect passes. It would be nice if he could get them, but that isn't how it works. I have said several times that Stevie is never going to make a catch that he shouldn't have.

Woods will be the #1 on this team by the end of the year.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I see. Psychological defense mechanism. I seem to remember 2-14 from Spike, but then again I'm old. Might be the onset of Alzheimers. I looked up the facts in cntrygal prediction thread. ;)

Your not old, it's hard to remember who said what on here.

pmoon6
10-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I looked up the facts in cntrygal prediction thread. ;)

Your not old, it's hard to remember who said what on here.Stop looking up facts. It gets in the way of me taking delight in hacking on the Canadian leprechaun. You ever see his ears?

Thank you for that last comment.

OpIv37
10-01-2013, 08:27 PM
The thing about Stevie is he has way more potential than what he's gotten to so far.

Gotta love that word. If the NFL gave trophies for unrealized potential, the Bills would have 13 straight titles and probably 35 all-time.

casdhf
10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Didn't he have that freakish catch where they called PI and accepted the penalty?

imbondz
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJQLeJW8es (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJQLeJW8es)

- - - Updated - - -

sometimes he'll catch a pass he shouldn't, but until he makes more game winning catches he'll be known for those horrible drops

RedEyE
10-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Inconsistency has been the plague of this team.