PDA

View Full Version : what teams would even want byrd

trapezeus
10-01-2013, 03:09 PM
since so many of us are talking about trading him before the deadline, what are the teams that really would want him?

I don't really know. I suspect its a short list. Anyone want to offer their guesses of teams that would be willing to trade for him mid season?

EDS
10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
I thought they could not trade due to the tag restrictions?

Jaybird
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
he can't be signed to a an extension, so his value is low. A team would need to take the cahnce on him not resigning. trading Byrd during the season does not make sense. If he's playing games and milking his injury we should shut him down for the season to prove a point. We can't set the precedent of allowing a player to control the situation

Mr. Pink
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Right now?

No one.

If he's traded, he's still under the tag provision and no one else can sign him to an extension til the offseason.

The NFL doesn't deal in rent-a-players like the NHL.

DynaPaul
10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Tennessee seems to like overpaying for our guys.

PTI
10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I bet 49ers would love to replace Whitner!

Buffalogic
10-01-2013, 03:39 PM
If he leaves Buffalo I bet he signs in New England.

RedEyE
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Atlanta might, though I'm not sure what their current cap situation might be.

Bill Cody
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
noone would. Haven't you heard? He's hurt:horsecrap

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
He'd start for most teams, so I'm sure there are lots that would want him. The problem is how much do they want him and what are they willing to give up, without the ability resign him it's doubtful they'd give up much to get him. However waiting only makes it worse for the Bills, they aren't likely to tag him and if they do, they're faced with Byrd having all the negotiating power in any trade scenario.

chris66
10-01-2013, 07:30 PM

no way Pats are happy with Gregory and McCourty

Beebe's Kid
10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Byrd being traded is message board chatter for bitter fans. There is no value in trading him. There is no way that the Bills come out on the better end of a trade, unless they consider a moral victory for "showing" Byrd.

Goobylal
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Not with his contract demands.

jdaltroy5
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Not with his contract demands.
His contract demands wouldn't be as high if he played for a perpetual winner in a huge market.

Other teams have different things to offer. Winning championships, National exposure, etc...

Right now, all Buffalo has to offer is money.

That's why they have to offer more money than other teams.

don137
10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Because teams cannot negotiate with him his value cannot be high.

My guess is his value is better to franchise again, let him work out a deal elsewhere and trade him then if we trade him before the deadline.

stuckincincy
10-02-2013, 11:44 AM
I thought they could not trade due to the tag restrictions?
I think so - not sure. Perhaps they can, but maybe the original restrictions kick in:

..."1. The formula has changed. Under prior labor deals, the non-exclusive franchise tag (Byrd was tagged as non-exclusive) was determined by calculating the average of the five highest-paid players at each position from the prior year. Under the 2011 CBA, the franchise tenders come from a more complex procedure.

Under Article 10, Section 2 of the CBA, the number is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position.

So it’s no longer driven by what players at the same position made in the prior season, but by the average cap percentage consumed by the franchise tender over five years. Then, that percentage will be applied to the 2013 salary cap to determine the franchise tender at each position.

Already confused? We’ve got nine more.

2. In some cases, the formula doesn’t matter. A player getting the non-exclusive franchise tag is entitled to the greater of the formula clumsily explained above (and that was the fourth draft of it) or 120 percent of the player’s cap number from the prior year.

That’s why, for example, the franchise tender for Dolphins tackle Jake Long would be much higher than the franchise tender for an offensive lineman. Long made enough in 2012 to result in a 20-percent raise, trumping the franchise tender. This dynamic often applies to players who were taken high in the draft before the implementation of the rookie wage scale. As rookie contracts expire under the new labor deal, franchise tenders for many of them will be lower."...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/

Bill Cody
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
His contract demands wouldn't be as high if he played for a perpetual winner in a huge market.

Other teams have different things to offer. Winning championships, National exposure, etc...

Some players value playing on a perpetual winner, some don't. A number of players have left NE over the years for a bigger payday on a worse team. Have you spoken to Byrd? No? Then you're just speculating on what's important to him. If there's any evidence winning games drives Byrd I haven't seen it. Looks to me like being the top paid safety in the game is what's important based on his actions.

jdaltroy5
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Some players value playing on a perpetual winner, some don't. A number of players have left NE over the years for a bigger payday on a worse team. Have you spoken to Byrd? No? Then you're just speculating on what's important to himWe're all speculating here.

People are speculating that his contract demands would be the same for every team.

If there's any evidence winning games drives Byrd I haven't seen it. Looks to me like being the top paid safety in the game is what's important based on his actions.Yeah, AFTER he'd already been tagged. He could've just as easily said, "F it, if I have to play here, you're going to make it worth my while."

Historian
10-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I could see him wanting to be a Charger like his Dad.

TigerJ
10-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Byrd can't sign an extension, but there's no reason his agent can't come to some sort of verbal agreement with a team. Then it's a matter of, can they trust his agent? A trade would be extremely difficult to pull off at this point in the season. Buffalo will probably consider franchising him in the offseason again, but it becomes a very risky proposition. First, the franchise cost escalates the second year a player is franchised. If the Bills suspect Byrd is being less than up front about how his foot is actually feeling, they have to believe he could pull the same tactic next year. Other teams my be wary of Byrd's attitude, and that will certainly affect what they're willing to pay him and what they're willing to trade to Buffalo in return. In other words, while Byrd may have screwed Buffalo out of considerable value by not signing a long term deal that would have made him a top five paid safety, he probably also screwed his own earning potential in his next multi-year deal, the one that should have ended up being the biggest contract of his career.

YardRat
10-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Well, if he is indeed considered a top 5 safety league-wide, then there should be at least 28 teams that would want him.

Goobylal
10-03-2013, 07:09 AM

Looking at the Peters situation, Philly paid the $10M/year they were asking for. So I don't buy they're only asking for it from the Bills or other small market and/or losing teams.

Well, if he is indeed considered a top 5 safety league-wide, then there should be at least 28 teams that would want him.
Except that he can't negotiate a new deal with another team, meaning they'd have to give into his contract demands or franchise him, neither of which is ideal. On top of the draft pick they gave up. And with bum feet.

Albany,n.y.
10-03-2013, 07:39 AM
There is one way to trade him now, but it's risky. Trade him for a conditional draft choice like 3 or 4 that becomes a 1 or 2 if he re-signs with his new team.

TigerJ
10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I agree that a lot of teams will want Byrd. The big question for both the Bills and Byrd is, at what price?

jdaltroy5
10-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Looking at the Peters situation, Philly paid the $10M/year they were asking for. So I don't buy they're only asking for it from the Bills or other small market and/or losing teams.
It's a different situation with different players involved. Plus, we don't even know who was asking for what.

It's not just a straight comparison.

You don't think Buffalo has to pay more than the market rate to keep or attract most players?

Ed
10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Byrd is only restricted from signing a long term deal during this season because of the franchise tag. If he gets traded though, he's no longer a franchise player and he would be free to sign an extension with that team. Not being able to sign a long term deal only applies to the Bills.

So if a team wants to trade for Byrd, they're going to have to work out a long term extension with Byrd's agent first. Based on his contract demands and where teams caps are right now, that would be difficult. Plus they would have to give up a pick for a player that claims to have injury issues right now and would have a hard time coming into a new team mid-season and being able to make a big impact.

There was a report/rumor at some point during the summer that said the Bills explored trading Byrd during the offseason, but that interest from other teams was only "lukewarm". So at this point I just don't see another team being willing to give the Bills or Byrd what either of them would want.

jdaltroy5
10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Byrd is only restricted from signing a long term deal during this season because of the franchise tag. If he gets traded though, he's no longer a franchise player and he would be free to sign an extension with that team. Not being able to sign a long term deal only applies to the Bills.

So if a team wants to trade for Byrd, they're going to have to work out a long term extension with Byrd's agent first. Based on his contract demands and where teams caps are right now, that would be difficult. Plus they would have to give up a pick for a player that claims to have injury issues right now and would have a hard time coming into a new team mid-season and being able to make a big impact.

There was a report/rumor at some point during the summer that said the Bills explored trading Byrd during the offseason, but that interest from other teams was only "lukewarm". So at this point I just don't see another team being willing to give the Bills or Byrd what either of them would want.I don't think any team is allowed to sign him to an extension until after the season.

Had they traded him before the July 16th deadline, then they would've been able to, but I think he has to play under the franchise tag for the year no matter what.

That was my understanding of it at least.

justasportsfan
10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
there will be teams that will want him but not with no.1 safety salary that he's looking for.

Ed
10-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't think any team is allowed to sign him to an extension until after the season.

Had they traded him before the July 16th deadline, then they would've been able to, but I think he has to play under the franchise tag for the year no matter what.

That was my understanding of it at least.
I won't pretend to be an expert, but my understanding has always been that a tag and any restrictions or rules that go with it are not transferable in a trade. Once a tagged player is traded, he is no longer a tagged player and is free to operate as any other player. I thought I specifically remember reading after the July 15th deadline passed that Byrd could still sign an extension if he was traded to another team, but as long as he is still a Bill playing under the franchise tag, he's not eligible for an extension with them. It probably doesn't matter either way though. I don't think he's going anywhere regardless. If they wanted to trade him they would have already done it before the season. At this point it will only be harder.

jdaltroy5
10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I won't pretend to be an expert, but my understanding has always been that a tag and any restrictions or rules that go with it are not transferable in a trade. Once a tagged player is traded, he is no longer a tagged player and is free to operate as any other player. I thought I specifically remember reading after the July 15th deadline passed that Byrd could still sign an extension if he was traded to another team, but as long as he is still a Bill playing under the franchise tag, he's not eligible for an extension with them. It probably doesn't matter either way though. I don't think he's going anywhere regardless. If they wanted to trade him they would have already done it before the season. At this point it will only be harder.Well if the tag no longer applies once a player is traded, then what happens to his contract?

If he signed a 6.9 million dollar tag, does that tag just convert to a 1 year 6.9 million dollar contract?

I tried researching it, but couldn't find any solid evidence either way.

Meathead
10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
my understanding has always been that a tag and any restrictions or rules that go with it are not transferable in a trade. Once a tagged player is traded, he is no longer a tagged player and is free to operate as any other player.

i wish we could just get this question answered already. ive tried looking it up several times and never came up with a confirmable answer. its been months and i still dont know for sure what happens if he is traded

Bill Cody
10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
i wish we could just get this question answered already. ive tried looking it up several times and never came up with a confirmable answer. its been months and i still dont know for sure what happens if he is traded

I know! His foot suddenly feels GREAT!

stuckincincy
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM

There was a report/rumor at some point during the summer that said the Bills explored trading Byrd during the offseason, but that interest from other teams was only "lukewarm". So at this point I just don't see another team being willing to give the Bills or Byrd what either of them would want.

My question is whether or not another club would have to give up the two 1st round picks. I tend to think not, since he inked with BUF and he's the same as any other player under contract.

I agree that a trade is doubtful. There's an old saying - "Beauty is always forgiven." If Byrd suits up and plays well, he'll regain his darling status.

gebobs
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
since so many of us are talking about trading him before the deadline, what are the teams that really would want him?

I don't really know. I suspect its a short list. Anyone want to offer their guesses of teams that would be willing to trade for him mid season?

Edmonton. Please let it be Edmonton.

Goobylal
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
It's a different situation with different players involved. Plus, we don't even know who was asking for what.

It's not just a straight comparison.

You don't think Buffalo has to pay more than the market rate to keep or attract most players?
Attract? Yes. Keep? Not necessarily.

justasportsfan
10-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Whaley not pursuing trade of Byrd

“We have not discussed trading him, and it isn’t anything we are pursuing,” said Whaley. “We would listen to any call on any player, but we’re looking to get him back on the field.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/03/whaley-not-pursuing-trade-of-byrd/

Ed
10-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Well if the tag no longer applies once a player is traded, then what happens to his contract?

If he signed a 6.9 million dollar tag, does that tag just convert to a 1 year 6.9 million dollar contract?

I tried researching it, but couldn't find any solid evidence either way.
I would assume that the other team would take on whatever is left of his 1 year deal, but the new extension would go into effect immediately and include some kind of restructuring for this season maybe? I don't know. I can't find any info on it either.

Ed
10-03-2013, 03:26 PM
My question is whether or not another club would have to give up the two 1st round picks. I tend to think not, since he inked with BUF and he's the same as any other player under contract.

I agree that a trade is doubtful. There's an old saying - "Beauty is always forgiven." If Byrd suits up and plays well, he'll regain his darling status.
At this point the compensation would just be whatever Buffalo and the other team decided on.

stuckincincy
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
At this point the compensation would just be whatever Buffalo and the other team decided on.

Hmm. Then if there are no tag hooks attached, I'd unload him and his contract for best offer. Subject to the cap hit stuff.

He's tap danced too much. My team's high-paid brahmins don't care, but my lower paid bunch does. I'll toss the optimistic bone to them in expectation of good play, in promise of $ down the road.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-03-2013, 03:55 PM

The text of the CBA is available online
http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

(k) Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the
first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a
multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year
Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be
extended until after the Club's last regular season game of that League Year.

Prior Club means the team that held his rights last year, so if we traded him I believe the new team should have the ability to extend him. I can't find any rule that says otherwise.

The other thing you guys need to remember is that Byrd was eligible to negotiate with other teams while he was tagged, but before he signed the tender. Had he signed with another team and we didn't match, they would have gotten two first round picks which obviously no one was willing to pay.

Parker isn't speculating that other teams want Byrd, he knows other teams want Byrd.