PDA

View Full Version : Per NFL N: Byrd Full Participant today.

BidsJr
10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
No link was just on around the league.

Should he play?

mayotm
10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
BB.com is reporting the same thing.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 05:49 PM
So, after the Bills D gets 5 picks off of the Super Bowl MVP and are playing in a Thursday Night Primetime game, all of a sudden, Jairus' tootsies are ok, huh?

Piss on him. Put him on IR and tag him next season... Wouldn't want him to get hurt again or anything.

-Bill

Beebe's Kid
10-01-2013, 05:51 PM
He missed 4 games. You guys act like he **** in the punch bowl at your wedding.

The Bills secondary gets better with him on the field. Hopefully it is true and he plays on Thursday.

Night Train
10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Is he better than Seacy ?

Answer - Yes

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM
He missed 4 games. You guys act like he **** in the punch bowl at your wedding.

Bet he didn't miss cashing those 4 game checks, though... 4 games is 25% of the season...

Freddie, Spiller and Aaron Williams all were injured during last Sunday's game... All three continued to play... Many others are very likely not at 100% either, but have been out there since the first game and continue to go out. But, Jairus can't play, unless he's 100%, which coincidentally, seems to come when the Bills have a prime time game.

-Bill

GvilleBills
10-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Bet he didn't miss cashing those 4 game checks, though... 4 games is 25% of the season...

Freddie, Spiller and Aaron Williams all were injured during last Sunday's game... All three continued to play... Many others are very likely not at 100% either, but have been out there since the first game and continue to go out. But, Jairus can't play, unless he's 100%, which coincidentally, seems to come when the Bills have a prime time game.

-Bill

I told my buddy to not be surprised if he plays Thursday after the last game. Primetime and all...
He joked back that he'll get 2 picks and a fumble recovery, then shut it down to cash in next year.

If we used our future-sight on this and not lotto numbers, I'll be pissed. :D

BillsImpossible
10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
If Byrd comes back, cool...the Bills are a better team with him on the field.

Everything else is speculation that doesn't really matter. All that matters now is how he plays on Thursday Night Football.

He wants to showcase his talents on national television for big money next year. I hope the kid has the best game of his career so far and wish him luck.

Welcome back, JB! I wonder if this will move the point spread?

JoeMama
10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
If Byrd plays -- and plays well -- I'll forget all about this contract ugliness in a hurry.

Maybe he HAS been gaming the system by playing possum. But I'd sooner see him play rather than start 4 backups in the secondary.

jimmifli
10-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Piss on him. Put him on IR
Lol. You're taking this awfully personally.

If you put him on IR and then he gets cleared to play, he can ask to be released from his contract. If you remember Troy Vincent did did this after the Bills prematurely IR'd him.

BillsImpossible
10-01-2013, 07:21 PM
If Byrd plays, I think he and Jim Leonhard start at safety. That's one hell of a safety combo.

There's no way Jim Leonhard gets taken out of the lineup with the addition of JB.

Aaron Williams said he's going to play. I hope the Bills leave him at corner when Gilmore gets back.

Jim Leonhard has given Williams a second chance to be a cornerback in the NFL.

All that said...the Bills have some depth in their secondary now that Byrd is healthy and Gilmore should be back within the next 2 weeks.

cookie G
10-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Thank you for gracing us with your presence jairus...your asking price just went up to $12 million a year.

Maybe he just got tired of watching other players limp off the field..and then back on. And it finally got to him? nah.

The decision was made by his agent.

"Uh, Jairus, did you see the last game? You better get your ass back out there, before it looks like you aren't needed at all. With every interception, you're looking less and less indispensible. "

ghz in pittsburgh
10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Jairus-Byrd-on-Health-Eagerness-to-Play/f4af4928-2026-402b-be54-c9d2ee84898f

His video here. I got it - part of your resume.

BillsImpossible
10-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank you for gracing us with your presence jairus...your asking price just went up to $12 million a year.

Maybe he just got tired of watching other players limp off the field..and then back on. And it finally got to him? nah.

The decision was made by his agent.

"Uh, Jairus, did you see the last game? You better get your ass back out there, before it looks like you aren't needed at all. With every interception, you're looking less and less indispensible. "

If the NFL is a business as they say, you are absolutely right in your assessment.

Byrd was losing market value every time the Bills defense made a pick. They're doing too good without him.

If the Bills were 0-4 right now....

The NFL is a business.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 08:00 PM
If you put him on IR and then he gets cleared to play, he can ask to be released from his contract. If you remember Troy Vincent did did this after the Bills prematurely IR'd him.

Since when has he not been cleared to play? He passed the team physical and, shortly afterward, was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis... The same plantar fasciitis that Byrd himself said he played with last season.

To the best of my knowledge, no doctor has said "Byrd can't play." All's I've heard is Byrd say "I need to be 100%" He's been cleared to play all along... Byrd has decided that he isn't going to play.

As far as asking to be released from his contract, sure, he can ask. The Bills can also say no.

Anyone who knows me and has read my posts knows that I don't defend the Bills too often... But, in this case:

Byrd was the one that decided to not sign his Franchise tag Tender until August 20th.
Byrd has been the one to decide that his plantar fasciitis has been too bad to play on.
Byrd has nobody to blame for the situation that he's in except himself (well, maybe his agent, too).

So, piss on him. If he is too hurt to play, put his ass on IR and free up the roster spot for someone who wants to play.

-Bill

Meathead
10-01-2013, 08:16 PM
although i think its highly unlikely this year, i want the bills to try to make the playoffs every season. byrd in the lineup certainly improves the team so yeah i want him to play. williams is the bills insurance policy in case they cant work out something with jairus, but until the injured cbs are back he might have to stay there

leonhard is going to be the odd man out. yeah hes played great but theres a reason why he wasnt on anybodys roster. if the bills get to a point where everybody is healthy hes going to be thanked and shown the door. i like the guy a lot but you cant let go a younger development project for him

justasportsfan
10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't think Byrd is an idiot. He knows he has something to play for. A new contract from some team. He better play like his future depends on it because it does. He's playing for the biggest paycheck of he's life. I don't care about what happens next year , we need him at his best ever if we are to make playoffs this year.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
leonhard is going to be the odd man out. yeah hes played great but theres a reason why he wasnt on anybodys roster. if the bills get to a point where everybody is healthy hes going to be thanked and shown the door. i like the guy a lot but you cant let go a younger development project for him

Why would Leonhard be cut? It's not like Byrd and/or Gilmore will be taking a roster spot if/when they're ready... Both are on the active roster already. They'd also be foolish to dump Leonhard (or any DB) in the event that Gilmore or another DB gets hurt, or Jairus' tootsies flare up on the weeks that the Bills play tougher opponents.

-Bill

IlluminatusUIUC
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
So, after the Bills D gets 5 picks off of the Super Bowl MVP and are playing in a Thursday Night Primetime game, all of a sudden, Jairus' tootsies are ok, huh?

Piss on him. Put him on IR and tag him next season... Wouldn't want him to get hurt again or anything.

-Bill

"Oh so you're all about the money Jairus? Here, have $15 million to stay home, that'll show you!"

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
"Oh so you're all about the money Jairus? Here, have $15 million to stay home, that'll show you!"

Where are you getting $15 million from? The tag this season was $6.916 million.

Even if they tag him next season, as I suggest, I highly doubt Byrd is gonna pull this stunt again. Who's gonna want to sign him to a big contract after not seeing the field for two seasons?

Besides, what does it matter if the Bills do spend $15 mil on him over two seasons? It's not like they're using that cap money elsewhere anyway. If they can't get a player that is equal or better than Byrd for the money that they'd spend on tagging him, there is no reason not to tag him again.

-Bill

Meathead
10-01-2013, 11:42 PM
if they get all their dbs back they will have too many safeties. they certainly are going to play byrd/williams/searcy over leonhard. that roster spot could be better used to develop a younger player with more upside than to hang onto what amounts to a little used insurance policy in leonhard

IlluminatusUIUC
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Where are you getting $15 million from? The tag this season was $6.916 million.

I was including your 2nd year tag idea.

Even if they tag him next season, as I suggest, I highly doubt Byrd is gonna pull this stunt again. Who's gonna want to sign him to a big contract after not seeing the field for two seasons?

He's still be 28 with less wear on his tires. He wouldn't be worth top money, but then he would have $15 million banked from the Bills.

Besides, what does it matter if the Bills do spend $15 mil on him over two seasons? It's not like they're using that cap money elsewhere anyway. If they can't get a player that is equal or better than Byrd for the money that they'd spend on tagging him, there is no reason not to tag him again.

Because it's not just cap money, it's actual physical cash changing hands. $15 million worth on a team that plays the cash poor card already.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
if they get all their dbs back they will have too many safeties. they certainly are going to play byrd/williams/searcy over leonhard. that roster spot could be better used to develop a younger player with more upside than to hang onto what amounts to a little used insurance policy in leonhard

...And, who is this magical "younger player with more upside" that isn't currently on an NFL roster that would be better than Leonhard is? You act like Leonhard is an old man... He's only 30.

Also, what happens if Byrd's tootsies start hurting again (you know, like when the Bills play 1PM games). You gonna rely on that "younger player with more upside"?

Decisions like that are why the Bills have Justin Rogers on the field as much as they do... Not bothering to go out and get a vet immediately after it was known Gilmore would be out for a while and relying on "younger players with more upside."

-Bill

BLeonard
10-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I was including your 2nd year tag idea.

Again, if they can't better players for the money spent, I see no reason not to tag him again.

He's still be 28 with less wear on his tires. He wouldn't be worth top money, but then he would have $15 million banked from the Bills.

"Less wear on his tires"? From a guy that says his feet hurt so bad that he can't play? Chances are also good that, if the Bills tag him again and can't reach an agreement, he'll be traded. At least they get something for him then.

Because it's not just cap money, it's actual physical cash changing hands. $15 million worth on a team that plays the cash poor card already.

It's not like when they sign a tag, Ed McMahon comes over with one of those big checks. Yes, the money is guaranteed, but they still only pay out on a weekly basis during the season. If Byrd were on a long term extension, I'd about bet that they would have had to pay him a significant amount up front (signing bonus), along with very likely a larger weekly check than he is getting now (salary).

It would have cost the Bills more, actual physical cash-wise, to sign him long term than it would to slap the tag on him again.

-Bill

TigerJ
10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
If Byrd becomes available, the Bills are suddenly very deep at safety. Now if we could get some CBs healthy. . .