PDA

View Full Version : A Look At Byrd / The Safety Position

JCBills
10-01-2013, 05:47 PM
I really don't understand the people who want to protect Ralph's wallet over extending one of the most dynamic defensive backs in the NFL. Byrd is extremely productive and hasn't had much help over the last few seasons. Before posting a rage-reply, let's take a look.

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19. Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11. Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker. He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 26 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players.
Aaron Williams, Da'Norris Searcy, and Jim Leonhard have all exceeded expectations so far this season, so a lot of fans are souring over the idea of giving Byrd big money.

Williams has played mosty at CB (his previous position in college and his first two seasons as a pro) but looks like he's made a huge jump in productivity. It looks like a combination of development, coaching, and scheme that has allowed him to flourish so far this season. The last game against the Ravens looked to be his coming out party, with 4 passes defensed and two INTs. He played well in the first 3 games outside of the stupid personal foul, holding down the #2 CB spot admirably despite the fact that his focus in learning this scheme has been at safety. Remember that this kid is still only 23 and wasn't 100% in his first two seasons. Williams is signed through 2014.

Searcy played decently as a reserve/rotational safety in his first two seasons playing behind Byrd and Wilson. He has kicked it up a notch this year with him seeing more NFL action than in previous years, though he has had a few ugly plays. Like Williams, he also came up big against the defending champs with some clean run support as well as 4 passes defensed. Searcy is still relatively young. He turns 25 in a month and a half. Searcy is signed through 2014.
Leonhard. A lot of us are familiar with him from his days coming up with Buffalo. He has been a part of some very good defensive squads between the Ravens, Jets, and Broncos. While very undersized, his experience has allowed him to make some big plays for the Buffalo D so far this season. The most impressive part about his season so far is the fact that he was signed days before the opener. Leonhard is on a one year deal.

With that being said (even though I know my words will be interpreted differently by different people) you have to look at the greater context of the team's situation. I don't think what appears to be the emergence of Williams, Searcy, and even McKelvin happened by pure chance. Pettine's scheme looks to be the best the team has had in a long time. It seems like he maximizes the strength of each player over trying to put a square block into a round hole. Look at what he has done with Lawson, Dareus, K. Williams, M. Williams, Kiko, and so on. We obviously haven't seen it yet, but with how productive Byrd was in some pretty bad defensive schemes, I would love to see what he could do under the current regime. I say pay the man.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Many people aren't trying to "protect Ralph's wallet." Many are simply tired of Byrd and his agent pulling the **** that they've pulled since he's been tagged.

You say "pay the man." So far this year, Byrd has made $1,729,000 and hasn't played a down. How much more do you actually think they should pay a guy to not play?

I don't buy the "If the Bills would have paid him what he wanted, he'd be playing" argument either. If he's healthy enough to play "if the Bills had paid him what he wanted," then he's healthy enough to be playing for the amount that he agreed to by signing the tag.

-Bill

Beebe's Kid
10-01-2013, 06:46 PM
He missed 4 games...our defense has always been better with him on the field. He can't be extended now, and he is getting paid. I would love to see him back on the field.
Or we could be bitter about something that we think we understand, but don't.

BillsImpossible
10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Harp on the past, or kiss the future?

If Jairus Byrd comes back, plays his nuts off and helps the Bills win game after game after game all throughout the season nobody will give a crap about the past, he'll get his big contract next year and everyone will be happy.

Onward!

TacklingDummy
10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The best thing Byrd could have done for his pocket book is play this whole year and put up his rookie like stats.

Then his case for more money would have been stronger.

Playing the hold out, sign at last second, now my pussy foot hurts game, only makes him look like a douche.

Homegrown
10-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Harp on the past, or kiss the future?... mmmm ....Harp! 16645

JCBills
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Many people aren't trying to "protect Ralph's wallet." Many are simply tired of Byrd and his agent pulling the **** that they've pulled since he's been tagged.

You say "pay the man." So far this year, Byrd has made $1,729,000 and hasn't played a down. How much more do you actually think they should pay a guy to not play?

I don't buy the "If the Bills would have paid him what he wanted, he'd be playing" argument either. If he's healthy enough to play "if the Bills had paid him what he wanted," then he's healthy enough to be playing for the amount that he agreed to by signing the tag.

-Bill

Missing time due to injury aside, they should give him a long term deal when that window is open again. There isn't a bigger impact safety I can think of at his position outside of maybe Earl Thomas that isn't way older. A Byrd / Williams / Searcy safety unit could be scary good.

JCBills
10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
The best thing Byrd could have done for his pocket book is play this whole year and put up his rookie like stats.

Then his case for more money would have been stronger.

Playing the hold out, sign at last second, now my pussy foot hurts game, only makes him look like a douche.

Actually, Byrd rounded out his game over the last two seasons and became a complete safety. Yeah, the flash of a rookie INT record is appealing, but his impact on games was arguably bigger after his run support became exceptional. If Byrd can just show he is still Byrd he could very well deserve the type of money he wants.

BLeonard
10-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Missing time due to injury aside, they should give him a long term deal when that window is open again. There isn't a bigger impact safety I can think of at his position outside of maybe Earl Thomas that isn't way older. A Byrd / Williams / Searcy safety unit could be scary good.

I tend to agree... But, who's to say that they didn't try to give him a fair, long-term deal this past offseason? Maybe it wasn't "the top paid safety in the NFL" contract, but, if he had plantar fasciitis last year (as Byrd himself said he did) would you risk giving him that type of deal when he could turn around and pull the same thing that he's doing now at a moment's notice?

Some players play better after they get their big contract. Others "mail it in." So far, Jairus' actions since being tagged have given me the impression that he'd be the type to "mail it in" after getting paid.

Look at it this way: Byrd played all 16 games last year and made $1,070,000. This year, he hasn't played one snap and has already made $1,729,000. What makes you think paying him even more than that would motivate him to play?

-Bill

BuffaloRedleg
10-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Sounds like he will be playing Thursday. As of right now I think he's just being a baby with his Grimo Wormtongue of an agent whispering bull**** in his ear. If he plays lights out the rest of the season, I will eat crow.

I really would love to eat that crow at the end of the season.

BillsFever21
10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I wonder if everyone was this bitter on Jim Kelly and other Bills in the past when they didn't want to be in Buffalo. If some people acted like they are with Byrd then Jim Kelly would've rotted away and never stepped into a Bills uniform as long as we still controlled his rights.

chernobylwraiths
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I believe Byrd is an above average safety, but is not worth all the grief the Bills are getting on this. I also believe this is similar to the Jason Peters situation. Peters wasn't worth all the grief and Philly really wasn't much better with him. One many doesn't make a team unless that name is Peyton or Brady. And even then you need a supporting cast. I say after this season make him another decent offer and tag his ass again. He is only hurting himself.

coastal
10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The prospect of getting Byrd, Gilmore and McMarbles all back soon...

Well ill to go with Aaron Williams and Leohnard...

Kind of exciting to be honest.

Thurmal
10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I think he'll never play another down as a Bill. Hope I'm wrong.

swiper
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
The prospect of getting Byrd, Gilmore and McMarbles all back soon...

Well ill to go with Aaron Williams and Leohnard...

Kind of exciting to be honest.

So when all that happens, will they cut Justin Rogers?

- - - Updated - - -

I think he'll never play another down as a Bill. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm afraid you may be right. Hope you're wrong though.

YardRat
10-01-2013, 09:49 PM
If Byrd could cover we wouldn't have consistently had issues with TE's and seam routes the last four years, that's really the only contention I have with the OP.

He is a top 5, or close, safety, and the Bills were willing to pay him accordingly. Unfortunately for everybody he, his agent, or both took the 'too greedy' route.

Jairus certainly is not irreplaceable, especially in this defense, and his whiny ***** attitude was old a long time ago.

All of that being said, I really would have like to seen how he performed in this defense with a good attitude and full training camp under his belt.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
If Byrd could cover we wouldn't have consistently had issues with TE's and seam routes the last four years, that's really the only contention I have with the OP.

FWIW, Byrd is a free safety. The distinction being that typically the FS lines up on the other side of the formation from the tight end. The tight end side being the "strong side" hence strong safety.

That said, in 2009 and 2012 - the two years where Byrd was playing his best - we were actually really good against tight ends.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2009
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012

*shrug*

chernobylwraiths
10-02-2013, 04:54 AM
I will say if the Bills continue to improve, the chances of getting Byrd back might grow. I really think, besides the big payday, that Byrd wanted to go to a winner and not stay with a habitual loser. If the Bills show that they are truly heading in that direction, that might take a few bucks off of his demands. JMO of course

YardRat
10-02-2013, 05:41 AM
FWIW, Byrd is a free safety. The distinction being that typically the FS lines up on the other side of the formation from the tight end. The tight end side being the "strong side" hence strong safety.

That said, in 2009 and 2012 - the two years where Byrd was playing his best - we were actually really good against tight ends.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2009
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012

*shrug*

No offense, but anybody that believes that is just looking at numbers on paper and hasn't been watching the games.

We have sucked against TE's, and all of our safeties over the last five years have struggled giving help deep.

X-Era
10-02-2013, 06:15 AM
I really don't understand the people who want to protect Ralph's wallet over extending one of the most dynamic defensive backs in the NFL. Byrd is extremely productive and hasn't had much help over the last few seasons. Before posting a rage-reply, let's take a look.

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19. Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11. Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker. He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 26 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players.
Aaron Williams, Da'Norris Searcy, and Jim Leonhard have all exceeded expectations so far this season, so a lot of fans are souring over the idea of giving Byrd big money.

Williams has played mosty at CB (his previous position in college and his first two seasons as a pro) but looks like he's made a huge jump in productivity. It looks like a combination of development, coaching, and scheme that has allowed him to flourish so far this season. The last game against the Ravens looked to be his coming out party, with 4 passes defensed and two INTs. He played well in the first 3 games outside of the stupid personal foul, holding down the #2 CB spot admirably despite the fact that his focus in learning this scheme has been at safety. Remember that this kid is still only 23 and wasn't 100% in his first two seasons. Williams is signed through 2014.

Searcy played decently as a reserve/rotational safety in his first two seasons playing behind Byrd and Wilson. He has kicked it up a notch this year with him seeing more NFL action than in previous years, though he has had a few ugly plays. Like Williams, he also came up big against the defending champs with some clean run support as well as 4 passes defensed. Searcy is still relatively young. He turns 25 in a month and a half. Searcy is signed through 2014.
Leonhard. A lot of us are familiar with him from his days coming up with Buffalo. He has been a part of some very good defensive squads between the Ravens, Jets, and Broncos. While very undersized, his experience has allowed him to make some big plays for the Buffalo D so far this season. The most impressive part about his season so far is the fact that he was signed days before the opener. Leonhard is on a one year deal.

With that being said (even though I know my words will be interpreted differently by different people) you have to look at the greater context of the team's situation. I don't think what appears to be the emergence of Williams, Searcy, and even McKelvin happened by pure chance. Pettine's scheme looks to be the best the team has had in a long time. It seems like he maximizes the strength of each player over trying to put a square block into a round hole. Look at what he has done with Lawson, Dareus, K. Williams, M. Williams, Kiko, and so on. We obviously haven't seen it yet, but with how productive Byrd was in some pretty bad defensive schemes, I would love to see what he could do under the current regime. I say pay the man.The best situation for the Bills (using our current roster) would be to have Gilmore, McKelvin, Williams, and Byrd as our back field with Searcy and Leonhard as primary backups. We still could use a solid #3 CB but that's another matter.

Of course it's best for the Bills to have Byrd in there backfield. He's the best S we have.

The problem is a) he's injured with a chronic illness, b) he and his agent have made choices to be difficult, c) it's not clear whether Byrd even wants to be a Bill or not.

I wish it was as simple as saying he's great so pay him. It isn't.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-02-2013, 09:34 AM
No offense, but anybody that believes that is just looking at numbers on paper and hasn't been watching the games.

Those numbers are generated by watching the games.

We have sucked against TE's, and all of our safeties over the last five years have struggled giving help deep.

I'm not even disputing that Byrd struggles manning up on elite tight ends (who doesn't? They are elite for a reason). But I'm saying that it isn't a common role for him, given his position.

TigerJ
10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
The Bills probably could have afforded making Byrd the highest paid safety in the league. I'm not sure why they decided they did not want to, but I just don't see that changing. Byrd could have signed a deal that would have given him top five safety money. Where they go from here is anyone's guess, but I frankly don't see Byrd staying with Buffalo after this season OR Byrd getting top five safety money anywhere else because of questions about his attitude.

better days
10-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Whaley has said that is the Bills plan to extend him when they can.

And maybe that is the reason the Bills have not given him any grief about not playing so far this year.

I am all for the Bills keeping GOOD players & Byrd is GOOD. But in the same respect Byrd has to want to be in Buffalo, it is a two way street.

Kind of like a relationship with a woman. You can love her with all your heart but if she does not feel the same way, she will move on if you like it or not.

JCBills
10-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Byrd had an OK showing today in spot duty posting 4 tackles and 1 PDef.

YardRat
10-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Hopefully whoever wants him saw enough yesterday to pull the trigger.

DraftBoy
10-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Hopefully whoever wants him saw enough yesterday to pull the trigger.

Because we are somehow better without him?

YardRat
10-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Because we are somehow better without him?

Yes. A player or pick(s) that wants to be here >>>> a whiny lil' ***** that doesn't. Once the bridge is burnt, you don't rebuild it with the same material, you use new.