PDA

View Full Version : Bills @ Browns Comparison

The King
10-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I consider this game a season defining ones for the Buffalo Bills. So far the Bills have stayed with every opponent, making each game matter late into the 4thquarter. As Bills fans we’ve seen this many times, after a big-time win comes a humbling loss making us realize, it’s just more of the same. We keep hearing that this is a new team, that there’s a new mentality. Now they need to show us on the road in Cleveland, against a team that had basically conceded their season.

Quarterback:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png)Look, we don’t know anything about Bobby Hoyer (joke). We know that he was handed the reigns over Jason Campbell, most likely to lose out, but he’s battling and he’s playing well especially since the team has shown no ability to run the ball after trading Trent Richardson.
EJ Manuel has been criticized the last two weeks, I was actually quite happy with his play against Baltimore, he threw 2 INT’s sure, but both were very forgivable, if people want to see him working the long ball interceptions are part of that development. Browns need to count on Hoyer to win this game, and I don’t think he can do it three weeks in a row. = Bills
EJ Manuel: 74/130, 856 yards, 5TD – 3INT, QBR 80.2
Brian Hoyer: 55/92, 590 yards, 5TD – 3INT, QBR 83.2

Running back:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png)Both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are expected to play at less than 100% on Thursday night, Cleveland has the 6th ranked rushing defense. What can we expect? Is this going to be like the Jets game or the Baltimore game? (Both defenses ranked in the top ten when facing the Bills) I think it will be somewhere in the middle, I think we’ll see each back pick up about 60 yards or so, and I think we’ll see CJ find the endzone for the first time in 2013. On the opposite side of the field Willis McGahee is still trying to get into rhythm with the Browns offense I expect we will continue to see him improve but this matchup favors the Bill. = Bills
Fred Jackson: 48/256 yards, 5.3YPC, 2TD’s
Willis McGahee: 23/55 yards, 2.4YPC, 0 TD’s

Wide Receivers/Tight ends:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png)Robert Woods and Scott Chandler are getting better every week, TJ Graham had a huge play to set the tempo for the Bills against Baltimore and Stevie Johnson was almost shutout. We’re seeing inconsistencies in Manuel and that carries down to his receivers. In Cleveland it’s all about Jordan Cameron. No team has found an answer for him yet. Josh Gordon is the other big name in the Dog Pound, but it’s Davone Bess who worries me. I expect him to have a similar game that Tedd Ginn had just a few weeks ago in Buffalo. = Browns
Jordan Cameron: 30/360 yards, 5 TD
Stevie Johnson: 18/235 yards, 2 TD
Josh Gordon: 14/217 yards, 1 TD
Robert Woods: 11/201 yards, 2 TD
Oline:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png)Cleveland has allowed 17 sacks this year, allowing that kind of pressure has resulted in 6 INT’s. The Bills have allowed 13 sacks, 8 of them coming against the Jets. Both teams have faced four solid defenses, but the Browns inability to run the ball has me leaning to the Bills on this one. =Bills
Dline/LBers:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png)http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/buf.png)The Browns are led by DE Desmond Bryant and LBer’s D’Qwell Jackson & Barkevious Mingo. Their front seven can get after your QB and are sure tacklers in the run game. The Bills have had great success up the middle lately with Darues and Williams, where the play from the Outside/End position has been up and down. Kiko Alonso has shown to have the right instincts and has become a fan favorite overnight. A defining game for both groups, so I’ll call this one a draw. = Tie

Defensive backs:
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png)What a difference a week makes. Aaron Williams versatility was a huge factor in why the Bills were able to squeak out a win over the Ravens. With question marks all over the secondary again (Byrd, McKelvin) Williams is going to need to step it up again. This Browns secondary is almost always in perfect position, it’s going to take some good throws and some play-action to take advantage of this group. I feel wrong doing this after a 5 INT game, but Browns win this battle. = Browns

Coaching:
Memo from the front office to Rob Chudzinski: You’re messing it up!
http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png (http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/cle.png)Both rookie coaches come into this game at 2-2, Chudzinski, beat MIN on the road and CIN at home, and Marrone has 2 home wins and a loss at NYJ.
Chudzinski got the Cleveland job from his success in working with Cam Newton. After being hired as head coach, he brought with him Norv Turner who he worked under in San Diego as a TE coach and Ray Horton who was a hot head coaching prospect in his own right working under Whisenhunt in AZ.
Both coaches are well supported but I give Cleveland the edge. = Browns

Thurmal
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
The Bills are playing at night, on the road, against a good defense. This almost always equals a loss for them.

Pinkerton Security
10-02-2013, 09:42 AM
"but it’s Davone Bess who worries me. I expect him to have a similar game that Tedd Ginn had just a few weeks ago in Buffalo. = Browns"

I can certainly understand taking their WRs/TEs over ours, but this sentence doesnt make any sense to me...Ginn is a pure speed receiver, and Bess is a pure route runner underneath...I dont see the connection at all. If anything I'd expect Josh Gordon to make plays down the field like Ginn did.

The King
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
"but it’s Davone Bess who worries me. I expect him to have a similar game that Tedd Ginn had just a few weeks ago in Buffalo. = Browns"

I can certainly understand taking their WRs/TEs over ours, but this sentence doesnt make any sense to me...Ginn is a pure speed receiver, and Bess is a pure route runner underneath...I dont see the connection at all. If anything I'd expect Josh Gordon to make plays down the field like Ginn did.

I was comparing more to a match-up sense than a style. Against Carolina, Bills had to focus on Olsen and Smith... Ginn got the best match-up and exploited it. Tomorrow it's going to focused on Cameron and Gordon and Bess will get the better of Rogers, he's also had some pretty solid games against Buffalo in the past. 40 catches and about 350 yards receiving.

GingerP
10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I think the Brown's front-7 is better than the Bills. Phil Taylor is ridiculous inside. They also have Rubin, Bryant, Sheard, Mingo, Jackson, Kruger. That is a bunch of really good players up front, and they are better overall than the Bills.

The Browns are the NFL's 3rd ranked defense. They are especially good against the run and the Bills are going to have to throw the ball to win.

SquishDaFish
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I think he means in terms of production not type of play

EDS
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Here's to hoping Gragg can develop like Cameron! What a great pick by the Browns and great job developing him.

The King
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Here's to hoping Gragg can develop like Cameron! What a great pick by the Browns and great job developing him.
Here's hoping the Bills can find an answer to Cameron.

better days
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
I saw a by the numbers by the Browns & they give the Bills the advantage & predict the Bills to win.

The King
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I saw a by the numbers by the Browns & they give the Bills the advantage & predict the Bills to win. I'm optimistic of a Bills win but I am also 2-2 in the prediction game, so I omitted my prediction this week.

TacklingDummy
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
So undrafted Brian Hoyer (who?) has better stats in 2 games with a less talented team than our 1st round pick with weapons like Jackson, Johnson, Spiller, Woods, and Chander, does in 4 games.

Sweet.

:snicker:

Meathead
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
yes but can cj and freddie handle a 120 carry load?

The King
10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
yes but can cj and freddie handle a 120 carry load?
Good catch.

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 02:02 PM
So undrafted Brian Hoyer (who?) has better stats in 2 games with a less talented team than our 1st round pick with weapons like Jackson, Johnson, Spiller, Woods, and Chander, does in 4 games.

Sweet.

:snicker:

Cameron has a lot to do with that. The guy is playing far better than anyone on our team other than Alonso. He is absolutely unstoppable out there. Hoyer has also been in the league for longer than 4 games and studied behind Tom Brady and in Belicheck's system.

Once again you show a complete inability to perform basic analysis of anything.

The King
10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Cameron has a lot to do with that. The guy is playing far better than anyone on our team other than Alonso. He is absolutely unstoppable out there. Hoyer has also been in the league for longer than 4 games and studied behind Tom Brady and in Belicheck's system.

His "worst" production of the season was against BAL where he had 5 catches for 95 yards

The Bills have surrendered just 161 yards to opposing tight ends this season

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 02:16 PM
His "worst" production of the season was against BAL where he had 5 catches for 95 yards

That is actually impressive. We usually are getting mutilated by TEs. Maybe they are having to stay back and block more with Pettine's new defense?

The King
10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
That is actually impressive. We usually are getting mutilated by TEs. Maybe they are having to stay back and block more with Pettine's new defense?

I'm not sure if it's a fluke or not. Olsen was 7 for 7 in terms of targets/receptions. Kellen Winslow, had a huge week before Buffalo and a huge week after us, but we shut him out. So we'll have to wait and see. Cameron is a freak this season, shutting him down would be a huge statement.

jdaltroy5
10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Well, we haven't really played any good TEs to this point.

The only good TE we've faced has been Olsen and he had a pretty big day.

The rest of the TEs we've faced this year have a combined 10 catches on the season.

Skooby
10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
We need to throw some screens, this will be a good game to start.

TacklingDummy
10-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Hoyer has also been in the league for longer than 4 games and studied behind Tom Brady and in Belicheck's system.

Facts remain in 2 games, undrafted journeyman with a career QBR of 43, with less weapons has just as good of stats as our 1st round pick has in 4 games.

You can come up with all the excuses you want.

jdaltroy5
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Facts remain in 2 games, undrafted journeyman with a career QBR of 43, with less weapons has just as good of stats as our 1st round pick has in 4 games.

You can come up with all the excuses you want.Ryan Fitzpatrick has a better QBR than Manuel does this season.

He must be better too.

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Well, we haven't really played any good TEs to this point.

The only good TE we've faced has been Olsen and he had a pretty big day.

The rest of the TEs we've faced this year have a combined 10 catches on the season.

Yeah true. If I remember correctly though in years past we made pretty much any TE look like Tony Gonzalez. Maybe my bar with TEs is so low that I'm impressed when weak TEs have average games against us.

Either way, this week will be quite the test.

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 03:24 PM

You can come up with all the excuses you want.

Yes and the fact is, every single year in Buffalo as ice cream sales increase the number of drownings increase.

That must mean that ice cream causes drownings.

Or maybe is it that facts can be misleading if not put into proper context and given the analysis that even a 16 year old should be capable of when doing the SATs.

Listen man, I know you are a troll, but at least troll right. It's supposed to be funny and get people fired up. This is just lazy.

Jry44
10-02-2013, 04:12 PM

I think Kiko Alonso has a lot to do with this. He's athletic enough to be able to run with some of the top tight ends in the league, and has proven this with his league leading 4 int's thus far. Also too, I remember reading some where after the draft that his abilities in coverage and to match up with Gronkowski and Hernandez ( obviously before he became an executor) were the reasons the Bills drafted him.

That being said, Cameron and Gordon both worry me still tomorrow night. Both defenses actually match up well due to Cleveland's horrid offensive line (they might have the worst interior in the league). I think this has the writing of a 17-13 final score all over it, with it being a push either way.

TacklingDummy
10-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Listen man, I know you are a troll, but at least troll right. It's supposed to be funny and get people fired up. This is just lazy.

I love the name calling when people don't agree with the facts. Oh well, I've been down this road before.

You may be happy that your 1st round pick is playing as well as an undrafted rookie on a worse team but I am not.

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 10:50 PM
I love the name calling when people don't agree with the facts. Oh well, I've been down this road before.

You may be happy that your 1st round pick is playing as well as an undrafted rookie on a worse team but I am not.

If you consider "troll" name-calling, then I suggest you get some thicker skin.

You are intentionally using stats completely devoid of context to rile people up. That is called trolling. I in no way think you are so unintelligent as to believe that you really think it is reasonable or even usefull to merely compare out of context stats of Hoyer and Manuel in the way you did. Hoyer has been in the league for years and studied under Brady and Belicheat. Manuel is in his 4th game ever with virtually no preseason.

It's not about whether or not we are happy Manuel is playing worse. Manuel is still playing decent and that exists in a vacuum that has nothing whatsoever to do with Hoyer. There also is a 7th rounder for the Patriots who is playing better than EJ as well, I think his name is Tom Brady. Want to compare them too? EJ also is playing better than a lot of 1st round QB in the past ever played in their first season, but you don't see me using that to prop him up. He's a work in progress and that is fine. The comparison holds absolutely no weight other than to rile people up.

I'm sure you'll just continue your shtick and respond with some smarmy non-response about how I'm willing to accept mediocrity or that I'm "happy that EJ is worse" which is just ridiculous, so have at it.

BuffaloRedleg
10-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Manuel also has a better TD/INT ratio than Big Ben, Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick and Joe Flacco. So by your logic he must be a better player. Yay we can all cherry pick stats to make the point we need to make. It's hilarious watching people like you start with a conclusion "The Bills will always make the wrong decision and never get better" and then work your way backwards from there to back it up.

There are plenty of things wrong with the team and its players and management that we can talk about and mostly agree on, there is no need to make things up and reach. Unless you are trolling to get a rise out of people. Then by all means troll away, but make it funny at least. Own it.

Mr. Pink
10-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Eli Manning is a turnover machine.

TacklingDummy
10-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Manuel also has a better TD/INT ratio than Big Ben, Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick and Joe Flacco. So by your logic he must be a better player.

Wow, comparing EJ to proven players.
Hoyer comparison is more accurate.

BuffaloRedleg
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Wow, comparing EJ to proven players.
Hoyer comparison is more accurate.

Weak.

Oh well I don't want to argue this anymore. Let's go Buffalo today, I hope we can agree on that.