PDA

View Full Version : Why is Tuel on this team?

Ed
10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
An undrafted rookie that wasn't good enough to be a full time starter on a college team that couldn't win any games is our backup QB.

So if EJ gets hurt we have no chance at winning. What exactly is the point of having this guy on our team?

Crisis
10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
It is pretty fun to say Tuel Time atleast...

Fixxxer
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM
can we not be *******s with a the back-up rookie QB?

Novacane
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM
He better save every dime he makes this year

Ed
10-03-2013, 10:25 PM
can we not be *******s with a the back-up rookie QB?
I'm not blaming Tuel, I'm questioning why he is our best option as the #2 qb on this team.

RedEyE
10-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Glad we witnessed Tuel ball. Now maybe people will get off EJs ass.

RedEyE
10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
And if EJ is out an extended period of time the Bills have to bring in another QB

Buffalo Thriller
If EJ is gonna miss a few weeks bring Josh Freeman in lol

BuffaloRedleg
Not his fault at all, but my God if we had a veteran backup who could move the ball a little I think we win that game. That is plain ole' piss poor management.

RedEyE
10-03-2013, 10:40 PM
No, not entirely his fault, but he could have sucked alot less.

Fixxxer
10-03-2013, 10:42 PM

we can agree on that.

Ed
10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Just for the record, I started this thread before Tuel threw that game killing pick 6. Tuel couldn't have looked more overmatched the moment he stepped on the field.

BuffaloRedleg
10-03-2013, 10:46 PM
No, not entirely his fault, but he could have sucked alot less.

I'm not so sure he could have.

MikeInRoch
10-03-2013, 10:47 PM
How many times do teams have to go down to their third string QB?

TacklingDummy
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
All it's proved is we still don't have a quarterback.

Ed
10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
How many times do teams have to go down to their third string QB?
Who was our second string qb tonight?

Albany,n.y.
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
He's on the team because Kolb got hurt & Leinart was horrible. They tried to get veterans in here & ran out of time. If EJ is out even one week, it's time to get Thad Lewis in there because Tuel guarantees a loss.

pmoon6
10-03-2013, 11:31 PM
The Bills figured they had to have someone the fans can blame for a loss. They also figured they had to keep a guy on the team with a name that fans can identify with.

Of course, they could have signed Calvin Loser.

Meathead
10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
a very smart and extremely handsome man pointed out right after kolb was put on ir that it would be a very risky gamble not to go get another veteran, pretty much for the exact situation we saw right there

i like tuel as a long term project and he certainly could be retained either as qb3 or on the ps but it was a very obvious calculated gamble not to give the team some insurance, and it came back to bite them hard tonite. pick any veteran qb thats out there and you are sure to get something much better than what tuel showed. its just too much to ask a guy in his spot to cobble together backup reps into enough experience to be the primary nfl backup right out of the chute

roster spots are precious and i understand why marrone would want to roll the dice like that. but even he has to admit it might have cost them a win right there

Beebe's Kid
10-04-2013, 12:20 AM
After 5 or so seasons on Madden, Tuel is awesome.

That is because everybody just gets better when you let time go past on video games. That doesn't really happen in real life,but if we just DEVELOP the POTENTIAL, it is going to be awesome.

Cut Byrd, Go Bills, God speed.

Oldbillsfan
10-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Freeman was a good qb until his coaches ruined his game

YardRat
10-04-2013, 06:05 AM
He certainly didn't play well at all.

RedEyE
10-04-2013, 06:09 AM
The plays were there for Tuel but his arm strength looked pathetic.

DraftBoy
10-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Very tough spot for an undrafted QB. Its a short week so he's getting almost no reps and the team was down to 3 WR's when he came into the game.

Can't expect much, though to his credit he owned it entirely in the post-game. Said it is his job to be ready no matter the circumstances.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Very tough spot for an undrafted QB. Its a short week so he's getting almost no reps and the team was down to 3 WR's when he came into the game.

Can't expect much, though to his credit he owned it entirely in the post-game. Said it is his job to be ready no matter the circumstances.

Tough spot to be in, but it's his job to be ready. He clearly wasn't. He was missing wide open guys, and made some awful, awful throws.

DraftBoy
10-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Tough spot to be in, but it's his job to be ready. He clearly wasn't. He was missing wide open guys, and made some awful, awful throws.

Both QB's had some ugly throws and missed open guys, we can't preach patience with EJ and want to kill Tuel for struggling in a tougher situation.

bf1
10-04-2013, 06:58 AM
That was the worst qb performance I've seen in my life.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Both QB's had some ugly throws and missed open guys, we can't preach patience with EJ and want to kill Tuel for struggling in a tougher situation.

I don't want to kill Tuel. It's not his fault. He shouldn't be in that spot. I blame the front office for not having a veteran QB on the roster the minute Kolb went down. Tuel is not ready. He looked like a lost puppy.

You have to admit, even with EJ's struggles, he looked like a confident QB. Tuel did not. Again, I'm not blaming Tuel, it's not his fault he isn't ready to be on the field. If EJ is out any amount of time, and Tuel has to start, there is no way they are going to win.

Uncle Jesse
10-04-2013, 07:32 AM
I still stand by wanting Leinart to remain as the number 2. Yes, he looked horrible in the preseason game, but he had what, 2 days to go over the playbook? He had no training camp. He was just thrown in here. By this time in the season he would have been much more prepared to play and we might of actually had a shot of not losing that game.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Uh no. EJ still looked bad out there.

RedEyE
10-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Really. So Tuel was better how? At least with EJ there is a chance. He has shown some flashes of being decent but still has the rookie thing to shake off. Tuel is capable of making the reads but his arm is a serious question mark.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 09:37 AM

I don't think he looked bad at all. Yes he missed some throws that he should've made, but he didn't look bad at all, IMO.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Really. So Tuel was better how? At least with EJ there is a chance. He has shown some flashes of being decent but still has the rookie thing to shake off. Tuel is capable of making the reads but his arm is a serious question mark.

Not saying Tuel is better at all but at least Tuel has more mojo (with lesser talent) than EJ. Just saying that people shouldn't dissmiss EJ's flaws. I don't think Tuel arm is a bigger question mark than EJ's is as well. I am almost sure that if Tuel had more snaps, he would have been just as good/bad as EJ throwing the ball. Tuel's lack of snaps in the short week is at least an acceptable excuse.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Not saying Tuel is better at all but at least Tuel has more mojo (with lesser talent) than EJ. Just saying that people shouldn't dissmiss EJ's flaws. I don't think Tuel arm is a bigger question mark than EJ's is as well. I am almost sure that if Tuel had more snaps, he would have been just as good/bad as EJ throwing the ball. Tuel's lack of snaps in the short week is at least an acceptable excuse.

More mojo? WTF are you talking about? He looked like a scared rabbit back there, and his arm makes Fitzpatrick's look like a cannon.

lol mojo. That's a good one.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 09:46 AM
More mojo? WTF are you talking about? He looked like a scared rabbit back there, and his arm makes Fitzpatrick's look like a cannon.

lol mojo. That's a good one.

he was missfiring but was at least willing to pull the trigger. Both EJ and Tuel looked lost but Ej has had 4 games prior to this. I am blaming part of it on Hackett but EJ is very Trentative. Mojo meant willing pull the trigger.

RedEyE
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM

There is hardly a perfect player out there, granted. EJs "flaws" are correctable requiring focus and a bit of coaching. Tuel has a serious lack of talent hardly worthy of a 3rd QB option placement let alone walking in as QB1. I don't care if this kid had all of the snaps, he should not start in the NFL. I'm thankful EJ was able to start the season over Tuel.

WagonCircler
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM

There are 10,000 miles between looking better than Tuel and looking good. Tuel was horrifying, but EJ was terrible too--just not as terrible as Tuel.

That "jump pass" thing was embarrassing.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't think he looked bad at all. Yes he missed some throws that he should've made, but he didn't look bad at all, IMO.

he was horrible in the first half and up to this point after 4.5 games, he does not look good . Not terrible but not good.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
he was missfiring but was at least willing to pull the trigger. Both EJ and Tuel looked lost but Ej has had 4 games prior to this. I am blaming part of it on Hackett but EJ is very Trentative. Mojo meant willing pull the trigger.

I thought EJ took a few more chances yesterday actually.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I thought EJ took a few more chances yesterday actually.

2nd half I agree. Weeden even looked more like a qb than EJ did. He was a way better passer than EJ was.

mayotm
10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
he was horrible in the first half.Is there any particular reason you're being a "realist" when it comes to EJ yet are a "homer" regarding the rest of the team? Your stance is on this is just odd since you're typically more on the positive side of things.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Is there any particular reason you're being a "realist" when it comes to EJ yet are a "homer" regarding the rest of the team? Your stance is on this is just odd since you're typically more on the positive side of things.

the game has evolved into a qb driven league and I have very high expectations of EJ which is why i am harder on him than any player or position.

I didn't expect EJ to be the next Andrew Luck but I wasn't expecting him to look like Trents tentativeness with JP's "wtf" look in his face with Fitz's deep ball inaccuracy.

I get it, he's a calm leader but we need him to start playing with urgency . Don't expect him to be an in your face player like Dan Marino or Jim Kelly but I don't see the "Umph" in him yet.

Even though defenses know we're running the ball, our rnnin game has still been good. The D has bailed the offense out for 4.5 games . I WANT a franchise qb.

mayotm
10-04-2013, 10:14 AM
the game has evolved into a qb driven league and I have very high expectations of EJ which is why i am harder on him than any player or position.

I didn't expect EJ to be the next Andrew Luck but I wasn't expecting him to look like Trents tentativeness with JP's "wtf" look in his face with Fitz's deep ball inaccuracy.

I get it, he's a calm leader but we need him to start playing with urgency . Don't expect him to be an in your face player like Dan Marino or Jim Kelly but I don't see the "Umph" in him yet.

Even though defenses know we're running the ball, our rnnin game has still been good. The D has bailed the offense out for 4.5 games . I WANT a franchise qb.Your assement that he is a combination of the worse Fitz, Trent and JP traits is a bit harsh. I guess I don't think he was as bad as you did last night. He seemed to be getting things going on the drive he got injured. Not to mention he was without Stevie for most of the game. He looked more poised than his first road game so there's some improvement there. He's far from a finished product and it's way too early to deteremine if he is or isn't a franchise QB. As a point of comparison, take a look at Russell Wilson last year. His numbers weren't that good the first 4 -5 games. They were super conservative with him the first half of the season. They started opening things up for him and he got much better as the season progressed. That has to be the hope with EJ.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Your assement that he is a combination of the worse Fitz, Trent and JP traits is a bit harsh. I guess I don't think he was as bad as you did last night. He seemed to be getting things going on the drive he got injured. Not to mention he was without Stevie for most of the game. He looked more poised than his first road game so there's some improvement there. He's far from a finished product and it's way too early to deteremine if he is or isn't a franchise QB. As a point of comparison, take a look at Russell Wilson last year. His numbers weren't that good the first 4 -5 games. They were super conservative with him the first half of the season. They started opening things up for him and he got much better as the season progressed. That has to be the hope with EJ.

I am starting to see what people said about him being very raw and that frustrates me I guess. I'm back to HOPING isntead of knowing he'll become the franchise qb we're still waiting for. I could have lived with the learning part of it but I am not impressed with his arm at all . Like I said, I didn't expect him to be the next Andrew Luck but at this point he hasn't showed me he's arm accuracy is any better than Trent or Fitz. Sure he's made the OCCASIONAL medium throws, but so did Trent and Fitz.

bf1
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
EJ didn't look too good but still within the range of what a developing rookie looks like. I can't even exaggerate how bad Teul looked.

DraftBoy
10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't want to kill Tuel. It's not his fault. He shouldn't be in that spot. I blame the front office for not having a veteran QB on the roster the minute Kolb went down. Tuel is not ready. He looked like a lost puppy.

You have to admit, even with EJ's struggles, he looked like a confident QB. Tuel did not. Again, I'm not blaming Tuel, it's not his fault he isn't ready to be on the field. If EJ is out any amount of time, and Tuel has to start, there is no way they are going to win.

Agreed on all accounts.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't know how anyone with 2 working eyes and even half of a brain can say that Tuel looks more like a QB than EJ.

PTI
10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
It has to be Super hard to develop 2 rookie QBs at the same time. Of course we see the recent experiment in Washington, but Cousins was a consistent player at Michigan State, he played a lot, and they kept Grossman, who is a durable enough guy too.

Bills did get their guy in Kolb to keep around, but after he got hurt how can you not get someone else?

This was a failed plan from the start.

GingerP
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
So to summarize, EJ needs more Mojo and Umph. Got it.

I think the coaching staff is doing the right thing with EJ. They are playing it conservative and running the ball to keep pressure off him. I know people are frustrated by that, but it is the smart thing to do while he learns the league. He wasn't going to light the league up as a rookie, and their strategy has limited his mistakes and allowed the team a shot at winning the game. As time goes on I am sure EJ will be given more freedom to open up the offense, but he is just a rookie. It is impossible to pass judgement on whether he can be a long-term solution, we should wait until after the season for that assessment. He needs time.

I know this much, Tuel makes EJ look like Johnny Unitas. They need a veteran backup, not a kid with no experience and not a lot of talent.

Mr. Pink
10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Tuel isn't an NFL QB and it showed last night. He should be on a practice squad not the active roster and certainly not a team's backup. If EJ's injury is serious, there is a HUGE need to go out and get a QB to play next weekend because you're not winning anything with Tuel back there. There should be a need to go out and get a backup QB as it is anyway. If we're going with a QB on the roster being the backup, Thad Lewis should be the backup, not Tuel.

PTI
10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Tuel isn't an NFL QB and it showed last night. He should be on a practice squad not the active roster and certainly not a team's backup. If EJ's injury is serious, there is a HUGE need to go out and get a QB to play next weekend because you're not winning anything with Tuel back there. There should be a need to go out and get a backup QB as it is anyway. If we're going with a QB on the roster being the backup, Thad Lewis should be the backup, not Tuel.

If they sign no one, Thad Lewis needs to play then.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't know how anyone with 2 working eyes and even half of a brain can say that Tuel looks more like a QB than EJ.

haven't read anyone post that.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
haven't read anyone post that.

Me neither. I read between the lines.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Me neither. I read between the lines.

gotcha. Wait, who's lines?

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 11:21 AM
gotcha. Wait, who's lines?

lol

WagonCircler
10-04-2013, 11:52 AM

The problem is, neither one of them looks like an NFL QB right now, and worse yet, I'm not sure EJ ever will. Tuel is not even worth talking about--He's Joe Dufek with an even weaker arm. But EJ looks more and more like another inductee into the Bills Blown Draft Pick Hall of Fame.

You can't blame his youth for THAT much inaccuracy on such a consistent basis.

I'm not throwing away all hope just yet, but he's got another 2-3 games in my book to show dramatic improvement in the accuracy department before I turn the page.

BUT WAIT! There's more!

If he's out for multiple games, then I guarantee the Bills forego drafting another QB, which leaves us stuck in the same old holding pattern.

trapezeus
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
That was the worst qb performance I've seen in my life.

JP's primetime "thrown to the wolves" NE game was worse. he kicked the ball out of his own hands on his first scramble.

Tuel looked dishevled but not like a moron.

i didn't like what i saw, but i'll give him the benefit of coming into a game cold....on primetime....on the road.

i more seasoned OL, could have made his life a lot easier by opening holes for two great running backs and make the kid feel at ease. no running game, no OC that seems to have a feel for getting sustained drives....our issues are a little deeper than tuel.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Could be worse, last year Tuel would have been named the starter, end of discussion.

PTI
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Tuel just did not look very athletic at all.