PDA

View Full Version : Lets Face Facts: Marrone Can't Coach Period.

JediMindPowers
10-03-2013, 11:12 PM
This loss totally belongs on Marrone. This dude can not coach during the game.

Guys, you have to look at this as honest as you can. Marrone should not be an NFL head coach. He calls the wrong plays, never sticks to what is working, challenges plays that should not be challenged and throws a red flag on plays that can't be reviewed.

Did I mention he also thinks Jeff Tuel is a backup quarterback. Its true.

Tuel may be one of the worst 3rd stringers in the league and yet he is our number two? Thats on the head coach, not on Jeff Tuel.

Lets be hypothetical and dream of a world based on merit. In that world Pettine is the head coach, not Marrone.

He is terrible guys and totally over matched.

TacklingDummy
10-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Pass interference and fumble recovery away from 0-5.

Albany,n.y.
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM

Guys, you have to look at this as honest as you can. Marrone should not be an NFL head coach. He calls the wrong plays, never sticks to what is working, challenges plays that should not be challenged and throws a red flag on plays that can't be reviewed.

Tuel may be one of the worst 3rd stringers in the league and yet he is our number two? Thats on the head coach, not on Jeff Tuel.

Lets be hypothetical and dream of a world based on merit. In that world Pettine is the head coach, not Marrone.

Why don't you call the Bills office tomorrow & demand you be named head coach because obviously you should have been chosen over Marrone.

Owen DeBoard
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM

I totally disagree with you. He has the team playing good in every game ive seen so far this year and ive watched every single snap. Its not his job to call the plays its the coordinators. Yes he makes mistakes with challenges but he is also a rookie head coach. I like what ive seen so far from him and is by far the best coach the bills have had in quite a few years.

pmoon6
10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
:rofl:

Thurmal
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Bull****...he gets the most out of these guys. He hired a DC that has gotten more out of this team than anybody since Ted Cottrell in the late 90s. He can't help that every above-average player on this team gets injured every game.

The Bills may still lose, but at least they try to win. At least the players are pumped up. I like watching a team that isn't flat as hell, like the Jauron, Gailey, and Mularkey eras.

Owen DeBoard
10-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Dont forget all the injuries on this team and also how young they are. For them to be in every game this year shows that he can be a good coach.

BigGabes23
10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
This has to be one of the worst posts I have even seen..... Really dude, you're blaming the coach here! You have to be kidding me. I hop on to see if there is any news in EJ and I have to look at this dribble. Name a coach who can win games on the road after losing 2 qbs, top cb, top safty, #1 wr...... I could go on, but there is no point.

kingJofNYC
10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Too soon, been average so far. Roster has no depth, FO to blame.

pmoon6
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Too soon, been average so far. Roster has no depth, FO to blame.:rofl:

trapezeus
10-03-2013, 11:43 PM
if marrone was a big time coach, he would have capitalized when the bills were hot early and put the game out of reach at 17-3 instead of running the old "run them into the back of the center play"

He's no different than the other guys. HE has nothing to work with and brandon will keep screwing this team. $20MM under the cap, and we aren't playing our two allstars from last year, and we have no secondary, no proven back up qb, and an injury away from watching our defense be a bunch of third stringers. Pathetic.

mjt328
10-03-2013, 11:48 PM
At this point, it's hard to say what parts of the team Marrone is responsible for. So I have trouble blaming or praising him for the team's results so far.

Pettine clearly handles the defense (which is playing well). I think Hackett is mostly responsible for the offense (which is not).

I like how the team is playing hard and not giving up through the injuries and early game deficits. I think that is a credit to Marrone.
I hate how penalties are continuing to kill us, week after week. Discipline seems to be a mark against him.
Game management (time outs, clock usage, challenges) has been extremely questionable so far - but not bad enough to cost us games.

JoeMama
10-04-2013, 12:03 AM
What the **** was Marrone thinking throwing a flag on a judgment call?

Even 12 year old me understood enough about football to know judgment calls are set in stone.

Crisis
10-04-2013, 12:07 AM

Even 12 year old me understood enough about football to know judgment calls are set in stone.

How about the fact he challenged that but DIDN'T challenge the fumbled kick off return, or the play where Gordon was out of bounds on like a twenty yard reception.

psubills62
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm still on the fence about Marrone. I don't think he's directly responsible for these losses (especially since he's not calling the plays, AFAIK). With the "talent" we currently have playing, I can't imagine how many 30-point losses we'd have under Jauron or Gailey even through 5 games.

There are a number of things that bother me about him and his coaching, but I think he's getting a lot out of the players in a rebuilding year. I'm intrigued so far.

Mike
10-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Watching him today clearly showed that he does not have 'it'.

Overall, he strikes me as average intelligence human being and an average coach. Nothing extraordinary.

ckg927
10-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Watching him today clearly showed that he does not have 'it'.

Overall, he strikes me as average intelligence human being and an average coach. Nothing extraordinary.

Then march on down to One Bills Drive and apply for the job.

We can probably hear the laughter that will generate...

Historian
10-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Well if nothing else, last night should end all the Tuel talk...

kishoph
10-04-2013, 05:23 AM

He is terrible guys and totally over matched. ​Blah, blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

I totally disagree with you. He has the team playing good in every game ive seen so far this year and ive watched every single snap. Its not his job to call the plays its the coordinators. Yes he makes mistakes with challenges but he is also a rookie head coach. I like what ive seen so far from him and is by far the best coach the bills have had in quite a few years.

"Forget it, he's rolling."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/belushi3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/belushi3.jpg.html)

RedEyE
10-04-2013, 06:20 AM
I call BS too.

He's a decent coach that has made some rookie mistakes. I'm not entirely sure the Bills would even gotten the fumble recovery on that play last night if he throws that red flag. While it most definitely was a fumble there didn't really appear to be enough evidence to say the Bills recovered it.

TacklingDummy
10-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Marrone is making Juaron look like a challenge genius.

imbondz
10-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Way too early to judge Marrone. No way any of us would have thought we'd be in every game through 5. I did think he looked like a deer in headlights at some points during the game but doesn't mean he was

DraftBoy
10-04-2013, 06:47 AM
I have a much bigger issue with Hackett's offensive scheme than with Marrone right now.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I really don't understand all of the flack Marrone is getting. The team has been prepared every week, despite all of the injuries/inexperience. They've been in every game until the final few minutes. Last night's loss is nowhere near Marrone's fault, IMO.

Saratoga Slim
10-04-2013, 07:25 AM
pretty much every skill position player on the team was either hobbled or out last night. Nonetheless the score was tied and we were driving downfield late in the third quarter, with a rookie QB who is not exactly lighting it up, until even the rookie QB got hurt and had to be replaced (by an undrafted free agent that according to the announcers didn't even start all of his college games last year).

Coaches coach, players play. It's almost not even fair to evaluate coaching when you've got a Jeff Tuel running your offense. Guys like Belicheck get away with injuries and marginal talent only because of QBs like Brady. I think Marrone is doing a great job with a very young and injured team.

Uncle Jesse
10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
How can you evaluate anything when there's 15 guys on the injury report and out of games or playing at way less than 100%?

chernobylwraiths
10-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Well, I think he might have thought that since the Cleveland receiver had stepped out, that he was ineligible to catch the ball. So, how can you call pass interference on a play where the player interfered with cannot touch the ball? Remember back when (I think the Carolina game) the opposing coach threw the red flag because they thought Woods stepped out of bounds? I didn't even know you could review that because it would have been a penalty and how can you review penalties? I don't have a problem with that. I mean, I would like to think that every coach knows every nuance of the challengable plays, but he is human.

chernobylwraiths
10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
How about the fact he challenged that but DIDN'T challenge the fumbled kick off return, or the play where Gordon was out of bounds on like a twenty yard reception.

Um, the fumbled kickoff was recovered by the Browns. At least I saw the Brown pick it up and try to run with it before some pushing and shoving ensued. I never saw if the Bills came close to recovering because they never showed it.

lightningbolt444
10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
How can you evaluate anything when there's 15 guys on the injury report and out of games or playing at way less than 100%?

You cant but Bills fans like to go from one extreme to the other. Its getting a bit ridiculous actually. People on the board were predicting 2 wins all year because of a rebuild but when we dont win they want to fire the staff and draft all new players. If we win the staff is great we are going to win 10 games now so on and so forth. Shows how out of whack peoples perception is of this team.

kishoph
10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Marrone is making Juaron look like a challenge genius.

The Challenge was because the receiver stepped out of bounds making him an ineligible receiver, which means it was an uncatchable ball, the flag should have never been thrown. You can't challenge a penalty, but that should have never been one. Also the Bills have a person(s) up in the booth to look for challenges, who's to know if they didn't radio down to throw the challenge flag. If the team continues to play as hard as they have been for Marrone, I could care less if he throws away a challenge or two.

BuffRanger
10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I was hopeful, but yesterday cemented Marrone's incompetence for me. Especially that last drive. Tuel's strength is throwing long. The Bills needed long throws to win the game. Marrone ignored his strength, played into his weakness. Good coach's do the opposite.

mayotm
10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
I was hopeful, but yesterday cemented Marrone's incompetence for me. Especially that last drive. Tuel's strength is throwing long. The Bills needed long throws to win the game. Marrone ignored his strength, played into his weakness. Good coach's do the opposite.You have no idea what plays were called during the last drive. Not to mention the Browns were obvioulsy looking to take away the deep pass in that situation.

malvado78
10-04-2013, 08:34 AM
A lot of the time recently that I have come over here to do some reading on the Bills, I have had to check and make sure I did not go to www.bipolarzone.com rather than www.billszone.com.

BuffRanger
10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
You have no idea what plays were called during the last drive. Not to mention the Browns were obvioulsy looking to take away the deep pass in that situation.

You can tell what plays were called by looking at the routes. They are all 5 yards. And the Browns were obviously not looking to take away the deep pass. How do you think that last pass got intercepted? They knew the Bills weren't going long, and jumped the short route. Everything in your post is wrong.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I have a much bigger issue with Hackett's offensive scheme than with Marrone right now.

I agree. As much as EJ's been bad, I was missing Chan and Fitz yesterday.

mayotm
10-04-2013, 08:38 AM
You can tell what plays were called by looking at the routes. They are all 5 yards. And the Browns were obviously not looking to take away the deep pass. How do you think that last pass got intercepted? They knew the Bills weren't going long, and jumped the short route. Everything in your post is wrong.Whatever you say sport. I looked forward to more of your top notch analysis.

BuffRanger
10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Whatever you say sport. I looked forward to more of your top notch analysis.

Ok? Odd reply. It doesn't take a top notch analyst to watch a replay. Is the ability to tell the difference between a 5 yard route and a 20 yard route considered expert analysis to you?

jdaltroy5
10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kLbqThjw1CY/UZqcnFOFVQI/AAAAAAAAAqI/-t1HKQvO-bE/s1600/Ledge.jpg

psubills62
10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I agree. As much as EJ's been bad, I was missing Chan and Fitz yesterday.
Hackett's offense is a big concern, but I had just as many concerns about Chan's offense.

justasportsfan
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Hackett's offense is a big concern, but I had just as many concerns about Chan's offense. my biggest problem with Chan is that he chose Fitz. I have no doubt in my mind that for all the times that the D has gotten the ball back for the O this year, we'd be scoring more with Chan and Fitz.

Lone Stranger
10-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Bull****...he gets the most out of these guys. He hired a DC that has gotten more out of this team than anybody since Ted Cottrell in the late 90s. He can't help that every above-average player on this team gets injured every game.

The Bills may still lose, but at least they try to win. At least the players are pumped up. I like watching a team that isn't flat as hell, like the Jauron, Gailey, and Mularkey eras.

Wait a second!!! Buddy Nix said he left the team in great shape. Shouldn't we be 5-0????

TheBrownBear
10-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Agree. His decisionmaking alone will lose us a handful of games once we're good enough to win them. He's getting a pass now because we have so many other issues, but he deserves a ton of scrutiny imo.

At the same time, I have to give him credit for getting these guys to a point where they are competitive in every contest.

BillsFever21
10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
It's still too early to tell how he will work out in the long run but don't give me any dribble about being a "rookie head coach" nonsense. It doesn't matter if you are a rookie head coach or not when it comes to some of the things he has challenged or not challenged. There has already been multiple occasions in a matter of 5 weeks where all you can do is shake your head. Many of the worse challenge/non-challenges I've ever seen in football has happened in 5 weeks under one team. There has already been so many I forgot a couple of them.

We had the challenge of a fumble by the Patriots when they were the ones who recovered the possible fumble in the first place. An obvious fumble on the kickoff by the Browns was never challenged. Trying to challenge a pass interference call when it can't even be challenged. There was another one or two that I can't even remember that's how bad it's been.

Then some of his game decisions have been absolutely ridiculous. Against the Ravens he declines a penalty that would've backed them up to 2nd and long and instead gave them 3rd and mid range which they picked up and later scored on. The only reason why that wasn't really brought up was because we won the game.

Then some of the clock management in a couple games has been skeptical to say the least. Then some of the uncreative play calling that we see on offense is a joke. It seems like there isn't much imagination. We just finally started running some screens and a slant last night when some of them calls should've easily been made during the Jets game when they were sending 8 guys and leaving the middle of the field wide open.

The multiple insane challenges and non-challenges we have seen in just 5 weeks has been putrid. You can't use the rookie head coach as an excuse with them. Any fan sitting at home knows you can't review some of them plays, didn't have a chance to win a review or was an obvious time to use a review. It has been pathetic on how he has used his challenge flags. I don't care if you're a rookie head coach or not when you don't know the simple rules of the game or doesn't challenge obvious big plays of the game that would've been reversed.

Night Train
10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
You need to face a lot of things in your warped logic.

Excessive injuries + team rebuild = the present results

Pinkerton Security
10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
You need to face a lot of things in your warped logic.

Excessive injuries + team rebuild = the present results

Enough with logic, lets overreact and create mass hysteria!!!!!!!!!!!

better days
10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Wait a second!!! Buddy Nix said he left the team in great shape. Shouldn't we be 5-0????

If the Bills did not have the injuries they have had, they may have been 5-0

See................. I can play the what if game too.

BillsFever21
10-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Every year we play this "what if" game when it comes to our record. You have one group that will say we could've easily been 10-6 and you have another group that says we could've easily been 2-12 if not for last second wins/losses, injuries, etc. You can say the same for every winning and losing team in the league.

There are games you win that could've easily been losses and there are games you lose that could've easily been wins. Throughout a season the law of averages even out and you are what your record is.

soapman
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM

CHURCH

JediMindPowers
10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
As if Marrone doesn't go over the offensive plan for gameday with Hackett.

You guys make me laugh if you think the head coach doesn't meet with his coordinators to look over their game plans for the upcoming week. I'm sure i'ts a 'big secret' not even the coach knows until kickoff at 1:00pm.

Is that what all of you twinkies think? Honestly, dont ever use such foolish arguments to advance your defence of Marrone's coaching.

Marrone can not coach on gameday. period.

BillsFever21
10-06-2013, 09:33 PM
As if Marrone doesn't go over the offensive plan for gameday with Hackett.

You guys make me laugh if you think the head coach doesn't meet with his coordinators to look over their game plans for the upcoming week. I'm sure i'ts a 'big secret' not even the coach knows until kickoff at 1:00pm.

Is that what all of you twinkies think? Honestly, dont ever use such foolish arguments to advance your defence of Marrone's coaching.

Marrone can not coach on gameday. period.

Only a nut would think that Marrone wouldn't know what Hackett was doing. Especially with him being an offensive coach himself he is going to be a part of the game plan.

I'm not ready to say that Marrone can't coach on game day just yet but he has made some horrible calls and decisions up to this point. The kind of stuff that you can't use the rookie HC thing as an excuse. It's not even his first time as a HC and it's not his first time in the NFL.

When you are challenging plays that can't even be challenged, challenging a fumble when the other team recovers and then not even challenging an obvious fumble that has nothing to do with being a rookie HC. Anybody who pays attention to football should know that.

That's just his challenges. There is already a long list of odd calls with clock management, not accepting penalties, etc in his first 5 weeks as the HC. I'm not giving up on him since we have been competitive but if he can't improve on that then there isn't any hope for him.

Night Train
10-07-2013, 04:24 AM
period

Yours must last all month.

hemi13
10-07-2013, 08:04 AM

I agree !!!

gebobs
10-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I dunno. I kind of felt like I was having a horrible flashback to Jauron coaching. And that was before EJ was hurt. I think EJ will be NFL ready before his coach.

Mike
10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Then march on down to One Bills Drive and apply for the job.

We can probably hear the laughter that will generate...

I see what your saying. When you disliked previous coaches and QBs you yourself went to OBD and applied for the job to only get laughed at.

What your suggesting is quite silly. Comparing me, to an NFL coach or QB is such a low that even the thought of it should be indicative of how low this organization has come. But heck, at least in the end you'll be able to say, "hey at least coach Marrone is better than some guy named Mike on the message board".

Generalissimus Gibby
10-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I dunno. I kind of felt like I was having a horrible flashback to Jauron coaching. And that was before EJ was hurt. I think EJ will be NFL ready before his coach.

And people said Marrone was sooooo different from Dickball. Come to think of it, they are right. Dickball meant consistent mediocre football where you went 7-9 as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever misery without end. Marrone will coach this team to 4-12. If anything, he's worse than Dick and even Chan.

Mace
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
CHURCH

The more I think of it, this about covers anything and everything anyway.

JediMindPowers
10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Yours must last all month.

Don't get mad at me. I'm not the one coaching on gameday. And just so you know, its a Bills message board.

Face it.

Marrone is a horrible coach on Sunday... I do not understand how anyone with even the most limited football knowledge cannot come to that same conclusion.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I was hopeful, but yesterday cemented Marrone's incompetence for me. Especially that last drive. Tuel's strength is throwing long. The Bills needed long throws to win the game. Marrone ignored his strength, played into his weakness. Good coach's do the opposite.

Tuel has a noodle arm. So, how is throwing long his strength?

JoeMama
10-07-2013, 10:29 PM

That was so disappointing.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Don't get mad at me. I'm not the one coaching on gameday. And just so you know, its a Bills message board.

Face it.

Marrone is a horrible coach on Sunday... I do not understand how anyone with even the most limited football knowledge cannot come to that same conclusion.

You cannot speak bad about anyone in the organization except for Russ Brandon and Littman. Everyone else is untouchable and either are great or just need more time to develop. I mean after all the Bills lead the NFL in potential. Every offseason they add some great players via FA and the draft and those guys will push them over the top. No one else does anything in the offseason to improve so we'll catch them! This is what I've learned over the several years I've been on this board.

Fact of the matter is EJ Manuel blows. Hackett can't put together an offensive gameplan worth dick. And our Head Coach is just flat out terrible on Sundays. This coaching staff has ONE guy with any NFL level capability, Pettine. The roster is a bunch of underachievers, has beens or never wills with a few legitimate good players...too bad our brilliant head coach decided to sit one of those good players on Thursday for who knows what reason.

Oh, I forgot the other thing I've learned here over the years!!!! Guys who no longer want to be here or have a foot out the door or have been released/traded/etc are no longer good. They are overrated bums who can't be ushered out the door fast enough.

BillsFever21
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM

He had a couple long completions in the 2nd half of a single preseason game. I guess that makes him a gunslinger.

justasportsfan
10-08-2013, 03:24 PM

noodle arm? He might have sucked for the most part but the throw to Chandler and his deep throw to that Graham dropped were on the money. The rest well....

PromoTheRobot
10-08-2013, 04:14 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing.

YardRat
10-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Marrone had a couple of miscues, which we hadn't seen in the first few games, but the coach who is really struggling at the moment is Hackett. His honeymoon is this season, but if he doesn't get quite a bit better as his OJT in the NFL continues, he may not be here after next season.

JediMindPowers
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
The decision to not go for the field goal completely turned the momentum of the game. Thats on Marrone. Once again our coach makes a horrible game day call.

Marrone is really bad guys. I want him to be good, but its so hard when he makes awful calls.

Novacane
10-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I agree he should of kicked the FG but even worse is his hiring of Hackett. What other OC runs the same play 3 times from the 2.

Typ0
10-13-2013, 02:53 PM
if you are going to go for it on 4th down you run different plays for the first three downs.

Novacane
10-13-2013, 03:03 PM
if you are going to go for it on 4th down you run different plays for the first three downs.

Probably would of never came to 4th down if they'd of run different plays earlier

Typ0
10-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Probably would of never came to 4th down if they'd of run different plays earlier

That's my point though ... I like the smash mouth idea...heck we were doing it the whole drive. And down there with a short field I'm not going to complain about them trying to shove it in their faces. I LOVE THAT because if you get it you can dictate the rest of the game ... seriously. But if you are going to run that play on 4th down you HAVE to run it on second down....I'm sorry but playing that smashmouth strategy and not getting it...then being stuck on 4th you have to kick the field goals there.

SpikedLemonade
10-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Go 'Cuse Go!!!!

YardRat
10-13-2013, 03:29 PM
It was the right call, at the right time. If you make it, great...if you don't Cincinnati is pinned deep on your field. It isn't Marrone's fault the defense **** their pants after the attempt, or for the first three quarters for the most part today.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-13-2013, 06:55 PM
The decision to not go for the field goal completely turned the momentum of the game. Thats on Marrone. Once again our coach makes a horrible game day call.

Marrone is really bad guys. I want him to be good, but its so hard when he makes awful calls.

Letting cincy drive 98 yards is what swung the momentum. I like that he was coaching with some guts.

Crisis
10-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't mind going for it on 4th down at the goal line. I have a problem with how terrible the play design and the personnel on the field for it was considering the down. It's a play you should run on 1st or 2nd down to get a cheap TD.

MikeInRoch
10-13-2013, 07:07 PM

It was not a horrible call. It just means you have no idea what you are talking about.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I was stunned that they didn't kick the field goal.

RedEyE
10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm not completely agaist going for it on 4th and goal. The playcall was crap but I liked the gutsy call. Now it really would have been nice if the D did their part after rather than letting them run the field.

imbondz
10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
it's been 6 games, and we've literally been in every game til the end, alot of times with backups and 3rd stringers. 1-2 plays swings the game either way. Marrone is doing something right. or, parity is at an all time high. not sure. We're a mediocre team, competing hard with everyone so far.

Meathead
10-13-2013, 10:01 PM
well the cheaters and jets games really were blowouts, the score ending up close only due to a) extreme luck, and b) extreme incompetence, respectively

but yeah id say the bills are a much tougher out than anybody expected, myself included. marrone and company has made some mistakes but theyve got the team functioning pretty well on gamedays

Mahdi
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
It was not a horrible call. It just means you have no idea what you are talking about.

Going for it on 4th down from the 1 is very normal. I wanted them to go for it but hoped they would run not pass. Playcall was wrong, not the decision to go for it.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2013, 10:28 PM
It's the 2nd Quarter, you are down by 3, you kick the fuxking field goal. It's that simple.

Mahdi
10-13-2013, 10:31 PM
It's the 2nd Quarter, you are down by 3, you kick the fuxking field goal. It's that simple.

I would rather take the chance to go up by 4. From the one, with what is supposed to be a strong defense in case you don't make it. The only bad thing that happened is that the defense was crap today and let them walk all the way down the field.

kingJofNYC
10-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Only if you're a fool.

Our win probability with a successful FG would go to 48%, up around 8% points from not getting any points. A successful touchdown puts our win probability well over 60%. TD is the better choice, made the right call, but the play they actually called was awful. Had an extra Tackle at TE and he ran to the corner, you can't throw, it was basically a designed run for Lewis.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 06:31 AM
It's the 2nd Quarter, you are down by 3, you kick the fuxking field goal. It's that simple.And if he kicks the FG, he gets criticized for being too conservative. The Anti-Fans can fit any situation into their arguments.

The great Bill Belichick went for it on 4th down and failed yesterday, as he's done in the past. Is he an idiot, as well?

It's pretty cliché by now, but it's a case of damned if you do and damned if ya don't. You're a hero if you make it and a buffoon if ya don't.

TacklingDummy
10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
The great Bill Belichick went for it on 4th down and failed yesterday, as he's done in the past. Is he an idiot, as well?

I don't know I didn't watch their game.

Was New England using their 3rd string QB who was just signed off the practice squad?
Was it early in the 2nd Quarter, down by 3?
Did New England just get stuffed 3 straight times at the 1 yard line, clearly seeing that the momentum has changed sides?

I was watching the game with a couple other Bills fans and we all agreed before the play started to take the FG there was no way they were getting in for the Touchdown.

TedMock
10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
It was absolutely the right call by Marrone. Maybe not the right call by Hackett. They still have a HUGE field position advantage if they don't make it. Nobody thought the defense would have a let down that big. I was somewhat surprised to see people upset about it. Hindsight, I guess.

GreedoII
10-14-2013, 07:56 AM
The cal is fine the play call is stupid. #straight run plays up the middle against a good d-line? Then you try play action on 4th? Your % success rate is lower with the incomplete pass in play. Play action on 2nd down and you have a wide open TE or even a freaking bootleg. Hackett did not play call this game very well in my opinion.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Was New England using their 3rd string QB who was just signed off the practice squad?
Did New England just get stuffed 3 straight times at the 1 yard line, clearly seeing that the momentum has changed sides?

I was watching the game with a couple other Bills fans and we all agreed before the play started to take the FG there was no way they were getting in for the Touchdown.I would have taken the field goal as well, but I can't fault Marrone for rolling the dice. Like you said, practice squad QB. Who knows if we would have gotten to the two again.

The announcers in the NE game were already questioning Belichick's decision to go for it. The Saints had the game won until Brady pulled one of his "Miracles", so there probably won't any more discussion about the call.

If Buffalo wins in OT, I doubt the issue would be either.

Or, maybe Bills' coaches take gambles like this and fail on purpose! It gives the Anti-Fans something to cry about all week.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 08:06 AM
The cal is fine the play call is stupid. #straight run plays up the middle against a good d-line? Then you try play action on 4th? Your % success rate is lower with the incomplete pass in play. Play action on 2nd down and you have a wide open TE or even a freaking bootleg. Hackett did not play call this game very well in my opinion.Well, he called it well enough to tie the game in regulation against a team that's made the playoffs the last couple years. He's also called games that the opponents margin of victory was what? 2, 3, and 7 points? That's with a rookie QB, and inexperienced wide receivers except for Steve Johnson.

He's done OK so far and after all, it isn't Madden 25.

MikeInRoch
10-14-2013, 08:08 AM

I was watching the game with a couple other Bills fans and we all agreed before the play started to take the FG there was no way they were getting in for the Touchdown.

Well, if you and your friends thought so - I guess that makes it correct.

Pinkerton Security
10-14-2013, 08:16 AM

as someone else said, if you are playing with a practice squad QB, how often do you expect to be that close to the goal line against a good defense? Your logic only support your case because you want it to...me and MY friends were glad he was aggressive.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 08:20 AM

Tackling Dummy's "friends".

TacklingDummy
10-14-2013, 08:56 AM
as someone else said, if you are playing with a practice squad QB, how often do you expect to be that close to the goal line against a good defense? Your logic only support your case because you want it to...me and MY friends were glad he was aggressive.

Actually not making it in the end zone supports my case.

TacklingDummy
10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, if you and your friends thought so - I guess that makes it correct.

I didn't say they were friends. I didn't even know them.

Like everyone on here, the only friends I have are on here.

justasportsfan
10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
this thread sucks.

Granted he's made a few questionable calls here and there but except for the browns game , the bills have lost to PLAYOFF teams by a TD or less all in his first year witha rookie qb and injuries everywhere.

You guys want Jauron and Gailey back?

TacklingDummy
10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
You guys want Jauron and Gailey back?

Did Dick or Chan ever challenge the other team recovering their own fumble?

justasportsfan
10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Did Dick or Chan ever challenge the other team recovering their own fumble?

why would they even bother when they are down by 100000 pts?

better days
10-14-2013, 09:28 AM

Not really. I like the fact Marrone was aggressive. The problem was the play calling on all 4 downs by Hackett & then the Bills defense having a bad series on the Bengals following drive.

MikeInRoch
10-14-2013, 09:35 AM

No, actually, it doesn't. You have to play the percentages. Failing does not imply that you made the wrong choice.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 09:46 AM
No, actually, it doesn't. You have to play the percentages. Failing does not imply that you made the wrong choice.On a more subtle note, Marrone also showed his offensive players that he believes in them.

That aspect can't be discounted for a young team learning to win. Win their hearts and they will follow you anywhere into battle.

trapezeus
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
i agree with the sentiment that going for it was the right call but the play selected was awful.

it looked like a shootout was going to occur and that you should try and match their aggressiveness.

I would hope that because this didn't work that Marrone still remains aggressive and challenging the team to win. They did the right thing, but didn't get the result they want. if they have this situation next week, hopefully the lesson is to stay agressive, go for it again, and challenge the players to make the right adjustments and the coaches to get better calls in.

I just hope this failure to score doesn't take off the "let's actively try to win, than passively hope for a default win."

jdaltroy5
10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
The people that are saying it's stupid to go for it are probably the same people that say that we shouldn't play "not to lose."

They went for it and missed.

I hope they do it again every time that situation presents itself.

I just hope they call different plays.

justasportsfan
10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Its one of those calls where if we scored, genius . If not, stupid call.

TacklingDummy
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Its one of those calls where if we scored, genius . If not, stupid call.

You go for it in the right situtaion.
When you got a practice squad QB, down by 3 early in the 2nd, and just got stuffed 3 times on the 1 yard line, changing the momentum to the Bengals, you don't go for it.

justasportsfan
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
You go for it in the right situtaion.
When you got a practice squad QB, down by 3 early in the 2nd, and just got stuffed 3 times on the 1 yard line, changing the momentum to the Bengals, you don't go for it.

I agree it was a huge gamble with a practice squad qb but if he hits it, it gives Thad confidence early in the game.

Jan Reimers
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
It's still very early in Marrone's career, but I'm pretty sure he's already better than Gailey. Jauron, Mularkey and Williams. Let's get some of our top guys healthy, get a few more games in for the young players, and see how it goes.

HAMMER
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I wanted them to take the points, in hindsight it would have been the right call. Our games have been so close that I think you have to have the mindset that you will need those 3 at the end, and we did.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I have no issue with going for it on 4th down...I do have issue with the play that was called to do it.

There was no option for Thad to throw to as you had a FB and back up T out on the pass pattern so if the run wasn't there - it wasn't obviously...the play was doomed - it was.

Horrendous play call in the situation.

ICRockets
10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
6 games into his tenure, and all 6 have been competitive late in the 4th. If you can't see that this is a Bills team with a competitive spirit we haven't had in the last decade, then you're a fool. Marrone is doing exactly what he did in Syracuse- changing the culture and turning us into a respectable franchise. If we can catch a break with these injuries and field a healthy team, I think we have serious potential. We're close, guys.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping we end up with a top 5 pick and get some sort of MASSIVE package of picks from Cleveland so they can get their QB and we can stockpile talent.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 12:08 PM
6 games into his tenure, and all 6 have been competitive late in the 4th. If you can't see that this is a Bills team with a competitive spirit we haven't had in the last decade, then you're a fool. Marrone is doing exactly what he did in Syracuse- changing the culture and turning us into a respectable franchise. If we can catch a break with these injuries and field a healthy team, I think we have serious potential. We're close, guys.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping we end up with a top 5 pick and get some sort of MASSIVE package of picks from Cleveland so they can get their QB and we can stockpile talent.That was a great post until the last sentence.

You never wish to lose in order to get a higher draft pick.

stuckincincy
10-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Personally, I'm kind of hoping we end up with a top 5 pick and get some sort of MASSIVE package of picks from Cleveland so they can get their QB and we can stockpile talent.

Watch out - the "it's just a moral victory" collective here will go after you...

imbondz
10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
The people that are saying it's stupid to go for it are probably the same people that say that we shouldn't play "not to lose."

They went for it and missed.

I hope they do it again every time that situation presents itself.

I just hope they call different plays.

not every time. But certainly at home, with the momentum swinging, and early in the game I don't have a problem with it. We complained not stop w/ previous coaches being conservative in those situations

PTI
10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
4th and goal play call was awful, but I liked going for it.

ICRockets
10-14-2013, 01:27 PM
4th and goal play call was awful, but I liked going for it.

I think the play call would have resulted in a TD to Fred if he didn't have to pick up the blitzer.

PTI
10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I think the play call would have resulted in a TD to Fred if he didn't have to pick up the blitzer.

They sent out a tackle eligible on a 4th down play with a backup just newly promoted QB in, I think the play call was very poor, a rookie HC call, and just is a not doing what is said, putting your players in the best position to succeed.

This was not one of those cases and could not be close to being perceived that way.

ICRockets
10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
That was a great post until the last sentence.

You never wish to lose in order to get a higher draft pick.

I agree with this like 99% of the time. But we lost to a Browns team 1 week removed from a pretty major power play for draft position, and now I want to see them go Major League. That would set up a scenario where some lucky team is going to get a boatload of picks from them, and I think we could fill nearly every conceivable hole on the team if we were to get that deal.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2013, 01:32 PM

I dunno. I don't really like the idea of putting the ball in Lewis' hands to make a precision throw at the goalline. TBH, the play I love and never see from the Bills is the Tebow goalline play. Come out in a 5 wide spread set (or even audible to it) and put your QB in the shotgun. Either the defense spreads out to cover all those pass catchers - in which case the QB just keeps it up the middle - or the defense stays tight and the QB throws a quick hitch to the uncovered guy. With a running threat QB it is DAMN difficult to defend 6 inches of field.

YardRat
10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
At home, down by 3, I go for it on fourth down from the one every single time.

gebobs
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Go for it 4th down ok, but what a train wreck of a call. Whatever.

How about never figuring out how to defense the screens that made the difference a l l d a y l o n g?

stuckincincy
10-14-2013, 02:36 PM
At home, down by 3, I go for it on fourth down from the one every single time.

I take the 3 and knot it up. But I won't chide Hackett for going for it. An opponent driving from the 2 for a score happens, but rarely. OT Whitworth got down field for a block on Green's 14 yard snag so he ended up with 54 yard gain on that play. Things happen fast. As for Bernard's 20 yd td catch...good effort on his part.

Ya can't always defend against an opposing player's nifty performance - that's one of the allures of the game, IMO. See Alonzo's splash onto the scene - nice stuff.

BillsFever21
10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
I didn't have a problem going for 4th down. The series of play calls on 1st and goal were horrendous though. Trying a pass option with Lewis is something that should've been done on 2nd or 3rd down. Not after getting stuffed 3 straight times and then only send out a FB and a eligible tackle as the only options to pass to. A QB sneak may have even did the job earlier in the downs.

In the end it didn't matter that we missed it. Had we made the TD then it may have swung a win in our favor. Since we didn't get any points on that drive we went for the 4th and 8 which lead to a TD. If we were down by 11 points at that time then we would've kicked a FG to make it an 8 point game instead of going for it. When it was all said and done it would've made a difference in the game had we made the TD.

alohabillsfan
10-15-2013, 03:05 AM
Does it really matter? The bills will just continue to remain in mediocrity!