• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Looking ahead

• Byrd will be back next week. He was ready to go last night, Marrone held him out. So that's a positive.
    • A lot of credit to CJ and Freddy putting forth a huge effort, while less than 100% against a very good defense.
    • This defense is terrific. Being as banged up as they are in the secondary the front seven has made up for that in spades they're going to be able to keep us in 90% of our games this season.
    • The Bills need to work out a QB this week. Obviously Freeman is interesting if he's not interested in Buffalo, David Carr and Byron Leftwich are both out there, Thad Lewis is on the practice squad.
    • It also might be worth looking at a WR if Stevie needs to miss time. Levelle Hawkins, Steve Breaston and Laurent Robinson are all still looking for work.

It's not fair to the defense to stick with in-house solutions to these injuries. Those guys are playing hard every play, to concede and say Tuel is your man, or Easley is an adequate replacement is a slap in the face.

And in typical Bills fashion, we have the last eligible bye week (12), so these guys are getting the most rest that they're going to get right now.
    Last edited by The King; 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• lightningbolt444
    • Mar 2007

Re: Looking ahead

I think this D is good but not Terrific. They still cant cover the long ball at all. Sometimes our LBS get washed out of runs because they are so aggressive (catch 22 and I wouldnt change the aggressive play style). They still did not have a great night last night.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lightningbolt444 View Post
      I think this D is good but not Terrific. They still cant cover the long ball at all. Sometimes our LBS get washed out of runs because they are so aggressive (catch 22 and I wouldnt change the aggressive play style). They still did not have a great night last night.
      But who's letting up the deep ball? Rogers a nickelback. Willaims a safety playing corner. Once Leodis and Gilmore get back I think we're fine.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by lightningbolt444 View Post
        Getting Byrd and Gilmore back should help a lot in coverage. We know we're thin on LBs, but we knew that coming into the season, can't fix all the holes at once.

Getting all our players healthy is a start, then we can start evaluating from there.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
          Getting Byrd and Gilmore back should help a lot in coverage. We know we're thin on LBs, but we knew that coming into the season, can't fix all the holes at once.

Getting all our players healthy is a start, then we can start evaluating from there.

I agree to an extent. We cant say the d is playing terrific when we still have some large holes. The injuries are a bit crazy right now but you cant really evaluate when everyone is 100% healthy because in the NFL that rarely if ever happens that all your starters are 100%. Rogers will still be on the field which is a problem. I have a feeling Byrd will not be playing the whole season. Gilmore is still a 2nd year CB who while shows promise needs some work as well. Both Gilmore and Byrd have yet to take a regular season snap in this scheme.

Comment

• mjt328
            • May 2011

I could be excited about those players (Gilmore, Byrd) coming back... But knowing this team, they will just suffer devastating injuries somewhere else. It happens every freaking season.

Who is playing really well? Mario, Kiko, Dareus....
            2013 "My Should Have" Draft
            Posted During the 2013 Draft
            1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
            2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
            2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
            3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
            4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
            5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
            6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
            7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
            1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
            2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
            2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
            3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
            4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
            5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
            6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
            7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

Goodwin should be back this week too. He was catching balls in practice on Wed.

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

Bills offense won 24-23?!?!?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

My biggest concern is EJ. Not because I think he's single-handedly going to win games, but that these games are CRUCIAL to his development. He needs to be out there every week, learning, growing, improving.

I agree, however, that there has to be a better option than Tuel, in case EJ can't go. Hopefully that's not the case. I'd still like to see another QB brought in, and get rid of the wasted roster space that an extra kicker is taking up.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Gilmore, IMO, is much more important than Byrd. And frankly, given the way Byrd has handled things, I wonder if he'll make much of any impact on the team this year. Certainly doesn't seem like his heart is in it at this point.

The thing is, the defense hasn't been great - it's been good. But it's been good enough to keep us in every single game. The weak point is clearly the offense, and we're living and dying by that.

Hopefully the injuries from last night aren't bad, and that we can get a few guys back soon.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• PTI
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2011

Well, Bills play the AFC West (Denver, KC, San Diego and Oakland) next year, and the NFC North (Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago), and then likely get Jacksonville and Pittsburgh as the other two last place teams.

You think this year is a tough schedule? Wait until next year!!

Comment

Working...
                      X