• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

F-Jax is producing like a #1 RB

If you look at Fred's numbers, he's been the third most consistent guy in the league, week in week out.

A minimum of 65 yards from scrimmage with three TDs mixed in

And if you're into fantasy football, you probably know how great a sleeper he's been.

Only three RBs have scored double digit fantasy points every week.

Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, F-Jax.

I love CJ Spiller but that's good company. I hope we stick with the hot hand for the time being. Being 32 y/o isn't a death sentence. Curtis Martin proved that. And so is Freddy.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: F-Jax is producing like a #1 RB

I like the 15 carries a piece balance they've been utilizing. But this is interesting info. I have Jackson in one league picked him up in the 12th.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Homegrown
      Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
      • Jul 2008

...fyi, its "FredEx"

Comment

• JoeMama
        Emotion Sickness
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
        ...fyi, its "FredEx"
        I know!

I own the shirt.

Which is way better than my homemade "Fast Freddy" t-shirt where he looks a lot like Jonthan Smith.
        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
          ...fyi, its "FredEx"
          Love that nickname....one of the best imo...FredEx Delivers....and yes, he does. Not sure how long he can keep up a full load at this stage in his career with the nagging knee injuries so I'd rather see him split time to keep him as fresh as possible and not push it. But either way, love the guy and we'd be seriously screwed if he wasn't on the roster, not only to be in when CJ is down/not doing well, but as a leader.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

trade him
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
              Being 32 y/o isn't a death sentence. Curtis Martin proved that.
              Curtis martin led the NFL in rushing at age 31. Age age 32 he hurt his knee and ran 220 times for 735 yards (3.3 YPC) and 5 TD. That ws the last year of his career.

If you are looking for RB who did well at 32 or later, the best examples are Ricky Williams, Marcus Allen and John Riggins. Like Fred, they all had periods earlier in their career where they missed time or weren't used much, saving wear-and-tear on their bodies.
              Last edited by GingerP; 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                trade him
                Don't you mean "cut him"?

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Why are people compelled to make threads like this?

Yeah, Fred is a good player. Are we supposed to put down CJ now? Is that what the thread calls for?

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    Why are people compelled to make threads like this?

Yeah, Fred is a good player. Are we supposed to put down CJ now? Is that what the thread calls for?
                    You have two eyes to see.

Of course that isn't what this thread calls for.

Spiller has shown he can be a great RB. But right now we're getting more production from Jackson.

So I hope he gets a larger share of the workload while he's producing. This offends you, somehow?

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                      You have two eyes to see.

Of course that isn't what this thread calls for.

Spiller has shown he can be a great RB. But right now we're getting more production from Jackson.

So I hope he gets a larger share of the workload while he's producing. This offends you, somehow?
                      Of course I'm not offended when you say stupid things. Have at it. If you are saying that Freddie should be the #1 back, you are saying that he's better than Spiller..."right now" or whatever. He's not even THAT much better than Spiller "right now," or however you want to apply that.

Spiller is the more talented back in most categories, hands-down; that's why a big part of the opposition's defense is geared towards stopping him, especially with inconsistent QB play. Freddie had a couple of good games, if you want to look at the numbers in context. For example, if you look at the Jets game, Freddie had one big run...apart from that, he averaged 2.2 yards-per-carry. The thing about his 59-yard run is that Spiller would have scored an 80-yard TD in that same situation...no way they catch up to him. We settled for a fieldgoal instead.

Jackson plays with heart and probably more power than Spiller, and he's a better blocker, but Spiller is still the better back in the long run as far as moving the ball. Freddie is the better option in short-yardage situations, too...but Spiller is still the better back. You open up the same hole, and Spiller will move the ball further in general.

Both these guys need to see playing time. You don't have to choose one over the other, which is my point.

What pisses me off is the lack of screen passes to both these guys so far this year. That should be more of our bread-and-butter than an occasional thing.

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                        Of course I'm not offended when you say stupid things. Have at it. If you are saying that Freddie should be the #1 back, you are saying that he's better than Spiller..."right now" or whatever. He's not even THAT much better than Spiller "right now," or however you want to apply that.
                        Acknowledging that Jackson is having a good season is stupid?

It sounds like you're just trying to pick a fight for the sake of picking a fight. If you want to make this personal, be my guest. I'm not biting on that.

I see Spiller and Freddy as 1A and 1B. I want them both to receive plenty of carries. My preference is to see the guy getting better production getting a better % of the split.

I made the same argument last year in favor of Spiller over Jackson.

Spiller is the more talented back in most categories, hands-down; that's why a big part of the opposition's defense is geared towards stopping him, especially with inconsistent QB play. Freddie had a couple of good games, if you want to look at the numbers in context. For example, if you look at the Jets game, Freddie had one big run...apart from that, he averaged 2.2 yards-per-carry. The thing about his 59-yard run is that Spiller would have scored an 80-yard TD in that same situation...no way they catch up to him. We settled for a fieldgoal instead.
                        No, that's a bad argument.

That's like saying Spiller was awful in the Browns game because "if you take away his 54 yard run" he only averaged 1.7 YPC. But why take it away? It happened. It deserves to be counted.

RBs chip away at a defenses like a boxer uses his jab. You keep chipping away with 3, 4, 5 yard carries away until you eventually get an opening to land a big hit. Spiller is clearly the more naturally talented of the two. But there is something to be said for Jackson's patience, vision, and ability to run between the tackles.

The Jets game is a great example of that.

Freddy broke free from a logjam of defenders and got 59 yards on second effort. I'm not going to penalize him for making a great play just because he wasn't fast enough to turn a 59 yard run into a 75 yard run. Spiller is gone if he's in open space, but we don't know if Spiller would have shed a wall of blockers on that play like Jackson did.

Jackson plays with heart and probably more power than Spiller, and he's a better blocker, but Spiller is still the better back in the long run as far as moving the ball. Freddie is the better option in short-yardage situations, too...but Spiller is still the better back. You open up the same hole, and Spiller will move the ball further in general.

Both these guys need to see playing time. You don't have to choose one over the other, which is my point. [/B]

What pisses me off is the lack of screen passes to both these guys so far this year. That should be more of our bread-and-butter than an occasional thing.
                        Then what are we arguing about?

I didn't say we should crown Jackson king and make him the sole RB like Adrian Peterson. Only that we flex the % of carries in Jackson's favor while he's playing so well.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

I always see Jackson as the Talley of rb's. Always produces, will never be good enough, sets a tone and leads, still will never be considered good enough. Through a lifetime of experience, that knee injury in his contract year assured me there is no justice in life, he keeps coming back and trying harder and somehow to me, he is the face of what I want this team to be. At what, 215, the guy runs like he weighs 240 to carry linebackers, can find the hole and accelerate for bursts like he's 200.

Give him the ball and use Spiller after Jackson wears them down. Thunder and lightning.

Comment

Working...
                          X