X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

I Think Jeff Tuel Is Likely To Start Against The Boingles

I just don't think it is possible for a journeyman quarterback to learn the Bills offense in a week and step in on Sunday. It's not fair to the player or the team either.

If the QB doesn't know the system well enough, he's putting himself and his teammates at risk of being injured.

Next Man Up

Tuel looked like a young deer in headlights Thursday night. He was awful. But it was not a lack of effort or arm strength that caused Tuel to play bad. He's a rookie too, suffering from inexperience and got thrown into the fire on a national stage in a major way. If he doesn't throw the pick 6, who knows. If he hits the long ball and scores a TD instead of throwing a crucial interception, he's the hero instead of the goat.

Give the kid a week and a half of preparation. He's got a strong arm, knows the system better than any other player available, and I kind of liked his attitude on the field even though he was getting his ass handed to him. He didn't quit. He was feisty. Deer in headlights look and all, he gave it his best shot and lost.

In Tuel's post game comments he took full responsibility and put the blame upon himself. He owned his mistakes, made no excuses, and sounded like a professional eager to come back and win next week. He may look like a kid, but didn't sound like one after the game. He manned up and did what great NFL quarterbacks do when they lose the game - they place the loss squarely upon their own shoulders. Tuel did just that, which is not something I expected to hear or see after that game.

The NFL is a very odd, unpredictable league that changes by the day. One minute you're a backup, the next you're on the field expected to win a game being viewed by millions of people all over the country. One minute you're a nobody holding a clipboard on the sidelines, and the next you're a household name.

If Jeff Tuel magically pulls a W out of his hat and the Bills win next week, every football fan in America is going to know who Jeff Tuel is.

All I can say is...let the quarterback controversy begin before it has even started!

What if Tuel magically pulls 6 straight W's out of nowhere?

The NFL is weird like that.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: I Think Jeff Tuel Is Likely To Start Against The Boingles

sure why not. gets the whole week to prepare, will be at home, nice fall day

was a classic headlighted deer last night but that might not be the final word on him. i love the way he presents himself, the coaches appear to have confidence in him. nobody else can possibly be as familiar with the offense as he could

sure why not
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
      sure why not. gets the whole week to prepare, will be at home, nice fall day

was a classic headlighted deer last night but that might not be the final word on him. i love the way he presents himself, the coaches appear to have confidence in him. nobody else can possibly be as familiar with the offense as he could

sure why not
      After a loss like that, he presented himself beyond my expectations. It was the first time I really ever heard him speak. Tuel was the complete opposite of Rob Johnson. Remember that douche bag's post game comments from many moons ago?

It's Tuel Time, and the Bills really don't have a choice.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

ive seen him speak a bunch of times, hes always like that, very smart and mature. you couldnt get a better attitude. id like to see him succeed and having that attitude will help but it may or may not be enough. most likely going to get at least cincy to see how he responds
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

It's OJT for Tuel like everyone else, he was better in training than any we've had in years. I'd feel better with a vet who knows the systems and how to read NFL defenses but we don't have one, and this is not the completed Super Bowl contender product.

So let him learn and get better until we know he can't.

A lot of people who had been screaming for Tuel Time suddenly shut up because it is here. They kept him for a reason so let's see why. You can't blame a rookie udfa for being a rookie udfa who ends up starting.

Some will though. We should have Tebow !

Comment

• JoeMama
            Emotion Sickness
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            ive seen him speak a bunch of times, hes always like that, very smart and mature. you couldnt get a better attitude. id like to see him succeed and having that attitude will help but it may or may not be enough. most likely going to get at least cincy to see how he responds
            He seems like a smart kid.

But my circle of friends ate him alive during last night's game.

They kept saying he reminded them of the reoccurring awkward teenage character in the Simpsons (who usually works at Krusty Burger).

He looked so young and lost and incompetent.

"Um [crackling voice] that comes out of my pay, sir!"
            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

I really don't think its that much of a stretch seeing a new QB under center against the Bengals. Whether its Tuel or some other guy the offense will be dumbed down/diluted. I'd prefer to gamble with new talent versus the talentless Tuel.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                They kept saying he reminded them of the reoccurring awkward teenage character in the Simpsons (who usually works at Krusty Burger).

He looked so young and lost and incompetent.

"Um [crackling voice] that comes out of my pay, sir!"
                Too funny, Mama. Too accurate too.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Tuel had no, "muscle memory," going into the game in Cleveland. Repetition, repetition, repetition. We all do it every day at our jobs. The more we do it, the better we get with experience alone.

Give Tuel a week plus running the plays that will be called on Sunday.

Tuel is 6'3 221 lbs. He looks a lot smaller than EJ on television! Reality is, Tuel is an inch and 4 lbs away from Tom Brady.

Joe Montana in his prime was 6'2 200 lbs.

Tuel's got the physical tools. Does he have the brains, and the moxy to get the job done?

Comment

• Jaybird
                    • Dec 2005

so we need another Qb.....

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jaybird View Post
                      so we need another Qb.....
                      A couple maybe a few, it is not going well.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

Tuel sucks. If he starts any of the games for Buffalo you can automatically count them as losses. He really blows hard.

- - - Updated - - -

This bodes well for all the ******* scumbag "fans" that want the first pick of the draft.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                          Tuel sucks. If he starts any of the game for Buffalo you can automatically count them as losses. He really blows hard.

- - - Updated - - -

This bodes well for all the ******* scumbag fans that want the first pick of the draft.
                          I haven't seen a QB look that panicked since John Beck played in Buffalo in the late 2000s.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                            • Nov 2009

Where are all of the people to go on about how Manning made mistakes in his rookie year, and how Aikman was 1-15?

People know how the career of a guy that battled against some pretty steep odds to earn a roster spot is going to work out? That is clairvoyance at its finest.

I think that the knee-jerk reaction would be the worst move they could make.

What if you bring in Freeman and he play so-so? What do you gain? A locker room problem when EJ gets healthy? A controversy?

At this point, you are just as well off to go with Tuel.

It is unbelievable how quickly some people's reactions turn. EJ was terrible two weeks ago, and now we can't make it without him... Tuel was forced into a tough spot, and yeah...he looked bad, but that might be enough to prevent that from happening again.

I know that most people here don't have an off-day at work, and that playing professional football would be a step down in job difficulty and/or expectation...We surely would have read about it on the message board where people put your every action under a magnifying glass...that is right...nobody clamors to get a replica of your work shirt, especially not full grown men that take your job as a matter of life and death.

Tuel might suck, he might throw 10 picks against Cincinnati. I doubt it though. I don't think you have a choice, and if the human beings that are making the choices at OBD are over eager to please a fan base that has been forced to the brink of delirium over the last 15 years...they might make a stupid choice that will have much longer term implications.

It would be something akin to trading Byrd for a 2nd to draft a replacement...

I think the people that say **** like "we need to be patient to develop players," and things of that ilk are a little too complacent, making them nearly complicit in the perennial losing, but the knee-jerk "worst ever" crowd is far more insufferable. Take a breath...it is a game that is supposed to be fun to watch, and if it has you frothing at the mouth, it may mean too much to you...and the Bills are not the team to allow to control your emotions like that.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

The good news is that the defense will finally be complete (minus Carrington, but I like Branch better) with the return of Gilmore, Byrd, and Brooks, not to mention McKelvin should be healthy. In addition, the OL is healthy and the running game is coming around, and these all should help Tuel out a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X