PDA

View Full Version : Bills shopping Byrd.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Have we already seen Byrds last game as a Bill?

Did Marrone sit him against Cleveland to send a message?

BertSquirtgum
10-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I believe he did

GingerP
10-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Per Shefter;

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Bills know wisest course of action is to trade franchise S Jairus Byrd and they now are open to dealing him, per sources. Talks ongoing.

JohnnyGold
10-06-2013, 09:02 AM
terrible news.

pay the man. pay him 2 million more a year than the next suitor.

it's the nfl--no contracts are guaranteed.

if he doesn't live up to it, trade him then. if he does, then we have one of the best players in the league at the position.

poz is a league leader in tackles in jax, lynch is a league leading rusher in seattle, whitner is doing well in san fran, levitre is doing well in ten and now manning the line for their capable stop-gap vet backup qb.

sucks that we could have poz next to kiko, whitner next to byrd, levitre on our line holding it down for fitz til ej is healthy--sounds like a playoff team to me.

mayotm
10-06-2013, 09:05 AM
terrible news.

if he doesn't live up to it, trade him then. if he does, then we have one of the best players in the league at the position.

poz is a league leader in tackles in jax, lynch is a league leading rusher in seattle, whitner is doing well in san fran, levitre is doing well in ten and now manning the line for their capable stop-gap vet backup qb.

sucks that we could have poz next to kiko, whitner next to byrd, levitre on our line holding it down for fitz til ej is healthy--sounds like a playoff team to me.
They can't "pay the man" this year. He has to play under the tag this year. The relationship between Byrd and the Bills can't be repaired at this point. They need to trade him and at least get something for him.

colin
10-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I say you always want your stars, unless they don't want to play 100% hard for you. We were wise to trade peters, and we will be wise to trade Byrd if he's punking out. I love his ability, but no room on the roster for a quitter.

JohnnyGold
10-06-2013, 09:07 AM
They can't "pay the man" this year. He has to play under the tag this year. The relationship between Byrd and the Bills can't be repaired at this point. They need to trade him and at least get something for him.

they can't pay him this year, but they can pay him this offseason.

and they should. they should pay him more than any other team is willing to, to keep him here.

you don't let good players leave, that's rule #1 to making the playoffs.

mayotm
10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
they can't pay him this year, but they can pay him this offseason.

and they should. they should pay him more than any other team is willing to, to keep him here.

you don't let good players leave, that's rule #1 to making the playoffs.He doesn't want to be in Buffalo. Period.

Skooby
10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Good riddance, he played hurt to make a point when we needed him. That's the definition of not a team player, who collected almost $7 Million for sitting. We'll get a 3rd round pick from a good team, that'll be a best case scenario.

YardRat
10-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Yes.

I hope so.

Screw Byrd, he doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.

SquishDaFish
10-06-2013, 09:15 AM
terrible news.

First off I agree with the pay the man comment.. but thats all I can agree with you on.

Poz has always been a leader in tackles but its never for stops at the line or for loss. Most of his tackles are 10 or more yards down the field. Kiko will be better IMO. If we kept Poz we dont draft Kiko...... If we kept the ******* Whitner we dont draft Byrd. And Levitre I agree we should have kept. Dont want to comment on Fitz LOL

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 09:20 AM
terrible news.

95% agree.
Except you are forgetting about the most important position on every team.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 09:20 AM
It will be interesting to see what they get for him. If they keep him he at least plays the rest of the year and the Bills probably get a 3rd in 2015 as a compensatory pick. They need something of value back for the guy, but his not being able to sign long-term has a negative influence on his value.

Any team trading for Byrd will need to absorb the roughly $4.87M he has left to be paid this year. Only 13 NFL teams have enough cap room to absorb that, although more could restructure to make room if needed. It would have been better to try and deal him in the off-season, his market isn't too strong right now. I guess it only takes one team.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:25 AM
If he tanks the season or even most of it with his pussy foot he gets to pick his next team. He's probably banking on the Bills not franchising him again.

Trading him let's us get what we want for him and let's us choose his next team. Screw him.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Send him to the Jags for their 2nd round pick.
33rd overall. 9 picks higher than what Byrd was.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 09:27 AM
If he tanks the season or even most of it with his pussy foot he gets to pick his next team. He's probably banking on the Bills not franchising him again.

Trading him let's us get what we want for him and let's us choose his next team. Screw him.

Ralph is spiteful, he will tag him again. As would I.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Teams with cap room to trade for Byrd: Browns, Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, Jaguars, Patriots, Broncos, and Cardinals, Eagles, Panthers, Packers, Buccaneers,.

On that list, the Bengals and Panthers seem to be the best fits in terms of need.

Another option is the Bills could re-do his contract and pay him more money so a team trading for him wouldn't need as much cap space. The Bills would basically use some of their cap space to make a trade more feasible to a team, and give them greater value in return. Still, his basically being a 1-year rental hurts his value.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
That would be interesting if Ralph had anything to do with the decisions anymore.

I don't think they would. I think they would just let him walk. Get a significant pick or player for him.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Teams with cap room to trade for Byrd: Browns, Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, Jaguars, Patriots, Broncos, and Cardinals, Eagles, Panthers, Packers, Buccaneers,.

On that list, the Bengals and Panthers seem to be the best fits in terms of need.

Another option is the Bills could re-do his contract and pay him more money so a team trading for him wouldn't need as much cap space. The Bills would basically use some of their cap space to make a trade more feasible to a team, and give them greater value in return. Still, his basically being a 1-year rental hurts his value.
Pretty sure the new CBA rules prevent any new contract with him until after the season now that he's on the franchise tag.

BillsU
10-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Good GTFO off the team!

GingerP
10-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure the new CBA rules prevent any new contract with him until after the season now that he's on the franchise tag.

The CBA prevents him from signing an extension. It doesn't prevent the Bills from lowering his salary to the minimum by converting the balance to a signing bonus, assuming Byrd is willing (can't see why he wouldn't, he'd get his money sooner and make him easier to trade).

By doing that, the Bills would absorb the bonus amount against the cap when he was traded, and any team trading for him would only absorb the balance of a minimum salary (about $505K). That would make a lot more teams interested and increase the value they would get back. They basically would use their excess cash and cap room (which they have) to buy back a better return.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Hmm, taking a look at the rosters, here's players that would interest me. Obviously it isn't necessarily straight up based on who the player is. But these guys could help us right away.

Bengals- I'd take TE Jermaine Gresham or LG Clint Boling or CB Leon Hall or CB Dre Kirkpatrick
Panthers- I'd take OLB Thomas Davis

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:47 AM
The CBA prevents him from signing an extension. It doesn't prevent the Bills from lowering his salary to the minimum by converting the balance to a signing bonus, assuming Byrd is willing (can't see why he wouldn't, he'd get his money sooner and make him easier to trade).

By doing that, the Bills would absorb the bonus amount against the cap when he was traded, and any team trading for him would only absorb the balance of a minimum salary (about $505K). That would make a lot more teams interested and increase the value they would get back. They basically would use their excess cash and cap room (which they have) to buy back a better return.Seems like were just writing off millions for nothing. If it's a draft pick, the bad teams have the higher pick.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
That would be interesting if Ralph had anything to do with the decisions anymore.

they say Ralph is out of the picture, I doubt he is. It's his money.
Would you let someone else have control over your money without a say in it?

SpikedLemonade
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, we sure botched this one up eh?

If we had traded Byrd during the off-season, a high 2nd round pick was possible.

Now we are looking at a 3rd round pick and if that is the return, might as well let him walk and get the 3rd round pick comp.

Another stinking turd left by Buddy Nix.

JohnnyGold
10-06-2013, 09:53 AM
First off I agree with the pay the man comment.. but thats all I can agree with you on.

Poz has always been a leader in tackles but its never for stops at the line or for loss. Most of his tackles are 10 or more yards down the field. Kiko will be better IMO. If we kept Poz we dont draft Kiko...... If we kept the ******* Whitner we dont draft Byrd. And Levitre I agree we should have kept. Dont want to comment on Fitz LOL

I think as fans, we have a tendency to view the league as something bigger than it actually is--more complicated than it actually is--sort of like the federal government, or the office of the president. At the end of the day, no matter how much pomp and circumstance comes with the position, these are human beings who play the game, coach the game, and run the teams.

I say this because the Bills are very close to insulting one of the best players in the league (at his position), and then letting him strong arm his way via malfeasance into a trade, a trade which (because our hand is forced) will net us far less than his actual value. A scenario that played out before with Jason Peters (regardless of what happened to him after the fact re: rascal accidents, he was a premium talent when he left) and Marshawn Lynch.

The more players that leave the team unhappy, the more people there are are around the league who will speak to each other about the dangers of going to work for the Buffalo Bills. The team is disrespected, and at the end of the day, it can affect the way we do business.

This is why Cowher isn't our coach.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Thomas Davis tore his ACL 3 time in 3 straight seasons and is 30 years old. They better get more than that.

Any team trading for Byrd is going for it this year and isn't going to want to give up good players back. The thing that makes the most sense, for both sides, is draft pick compensation.

BillsU
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Hmm, taking a look at the rosters, here's players that would interest me. Obviously it isn't necessarily straight up based on who the player is. But these guys could help us right away. Bengals- I'd take TE Jermaine Gresham or LG Clint Boling or CB Leon Hall or CB Dre Kirkpatrick Panthers- I'd take OLB Thomas Davis Oh hell no!

X-Era
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, we sure botched this one up eh?

If we had traded Byrd during the off-season, a high 2nd round pick was possible.

Now we are looking at a 3rd round pick and if that is the return, might as well let him walk and get the 3rd round pick comp.

Another stinking turd left by Buddy Nix.I'd ask for a 1st and see if a team is dumb and makes the trade. If not, accept no less than a 2nd and if no one bites, trade him for a decent player or franchise him again.

There is only one wrong answer, let him go and get nothing back. **** him.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Seems like were just writing off millions for nothing. If it's a draft pick, the bad teams have the higher pick.

At a minimum salary he might fetch a 2nd from a team looking at him as a difference-maker this year.

With his current salary limiting his options, he may be worth a day-3 picks at most. The Ravens got Eugene Monroe, a starting OT in the last year of his contract, and gave up 4th and 5th round picks. To get that, the Jags ate $2.35M in salary and the Ravens took on $547K. That is what you are looking at.

This is a fire sale. If the Bills trade him they are going to get pennies on the dollar for value. They are selling low, their leverage is gone.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 10:05 AM
At a minimum salary he might fetch a 2nd from a team looking at him as a difference-maker this year.

With his current salary limiting his options, he may be worth a day-3 picks at most. The Ravens got Eugene Monroe, a starting OT in the last year of his contract, and gave up 4th and 5th round picks. To get that, the Jags ate $2.35M in salary and the Ravens took on $547K. That is what you are looking at.

This is a fire sale. If the Bills trade him they are going to get pennies on the dollar for value. They are selling low, their leverage is gone.I don't see that at all.

Byrd will pass a physical and is ready to play again. He's young, a pro-bowler, and very talented. Look at the coin Goldson got. There is a premium on S's and Byrd is proven.

And if you're right Id tag him again. I want something for him. **** him. If that is the case, go after a player instead. Get a solid starter at a minimum... that 3rd rounder is not assured to end up being a solid starter.

Just don't be cheap. Let Byrd dangle in the wind. That's what he's done to use this year.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't see that at all.

Byrd will pass a physical and is ready to play again. He's young, a pro-bowler, and very talented. Look at the coin Goldson got. There is a premium on S's and Byrd is proven.

And if you're right Id tag him again. I want something for him. **** him. If that is the case, go after a player instead. Get a solid starter at a minimum... that 3rd rounder is not assured to end up being a solid starter.

Just don't be cheap. Let Byrd dangle in the wind. That's what he's done to use this year.

He is a 1-year rental for any team that deals for him. That kills his value. The Pats gave up a 4th last year for Aqib Talib. Monroe got a 4th and 5th. Levi Brown went for a conditional late-round pick.

If they dealt him in the offseason, especially before the deadline for an extension, he had a lot more value. His value is at it's lowest now.

mayotm
10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
He is a 1-year rental for any team that deals for him. That kills his value. The Pats gave up a 4th last year for Aqib Talib. Monroe got a 4th and 5th. Levi Brown went for a conditional late-round pick.

If they dealt him in the offseason, especially before the deadline for an extension, he had a lot more value. His value is at it's lowest now.If that's the case it's simple. Don't deal him now. Franchise him again and trade him in the off-season. It seems highly unlikely the relationship between Byrd and the Bills can be repaired.

BillsFanInNM
10-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Can a team that trades for Byrd not franchise tag him at the end of the year if they can't work out a long term deal?

Homegrown
10-06-2013, 10:29 AM

This is a fire sale. If the Bills trade him they are going to get pennies on the dollar for value. They are selling low, their leverage is gone.

agree 100% ... if the Bills get a 2nd rounder, it would be a miracle, IMHO ... Bills have lost all leverage in any trade involving #31

Night Train
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Can't repair the damage done.

This was agent driven beyond where it needed to go. Byrd is too blinded by the :$: to see otherwise while listening to his needed brainwashing. The distraction needs to be addressed now, so the so-called better ideas are moot.

Draft choices are not sure things and neither are his feet. If he was just holding himself out to protect his health while collecting 400K + a week, then he'll look bad forever in the history books, no matter where he goes.

This is a rebuilding team that's several players short when healthy but is twice that now with the injuries. Lock in some additional picks for next year and rid the distraction. It is what it is.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
agree 100% ... if the Bills get a 2nd rounder, it would be a miracle, IMHO ... Bills have lost all leverage in any trade involving #31Then he stays a Bill even if it's on the bench.

I'd just go trade him for a player.

better days
10-06-2013, 10:31 AM
terrible news.

I would like to see the Bills keep GOOD players.

Poz does not belong on that list with the GOOD players the Bills let walk. He is mediocre at best, happy he is gone.

And the same goes for Fitz.

DraftBoy
10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Wish we could keep him but if he must be dealt I would want at least two picks for him.

Turf
10-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Nor sure what happens to the franchise tag if we IR him. However, if the Bills feel he has been manipulating this situation and not been on the up and up, sitting him out for a year doesn't help him at all. Injury prone, and losing one year in your prime doesn't increase your value. It will be much harder for him to demand more money due to health and character issues, and rust.

better days
10-06-2013, 10:40 AM
they say Ralph is out of the picture, I doubt he is. It's his money.
Would you let someone else have control over your money without a say in it?

People with money have others with expertise run their Companies all the time.

JohnnyGold
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I would like to see the Bills keep GOOD players.

Poz does not belong on that list with the GOOD players the Bills let walk. He is mediocre at best, happy he is gone.

And the same goes for Fitz.

i agree, but let me one up you:

I would like to see the Bills hold on to ALL of their players until a BETTER replacement is identified.

THAT is where we have gone wrong.

kingJofNYC
10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Another poor set of decisions by the front office. No foresight at all.

better days
10-06-2013, 11:08 AM
i agree, but let me one up you:

I would like to see the Bills hold on to ALL of their players until a BETTER replacement is identified.

THAT is where we have gone wrong.

That was Op's position this off season. It can't be done.

You need to cut the cord on mediocre guys, create a spot on the roster & trust you will get someone better.

I'm talking about a guy like Donald Jones who Op insisted was better than Robert Woods because Jones had experience while Woods is a Rookie.

Jones had to go first to make room for Woods.

coastal
10-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Ridiculous.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Another team cannot sign him to an extension, this is not the MLB or NHL where rental players are the norm. Byrd has next to no trade value right now as he could be nothing more than an 11 game rental player to another team right now. If you were the GM of another team would you give up any value to a guy you may only have for 11 games?? Absolutely not.

YardRat
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Buffalo has all of the leverage, because the commodity is in their hands.

"Don't want to give us what we want for him? Screw you, and him...we'll hang on, pay his salary, and franchise him again next year and see who the highest bidder is then. It's your run at the playoffs at stake, not ours..."

stuckincincy
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Hmm, taking a look at the rosters, here's players that would interest me. Obviously it isn't necessarily straight up based on who the player is. But these guys could help us right away.

Bengals- I'd take TE Jermaine Gresham or LG Clint Boling or CB Leon Hall or CB Dre Kirkpatrick

You wouldn't want Kirkpatrick. He's been in 6 games since drafted, garnering 6 solo tackles and no assists. He's missed most of both of his training camps. Always injured, and when not, plays poorly. CIN wouldn't swap Gresham or Hall for Byrd. They have been needy at a safety spot for years, but Boling is a decent guard and I don't see anyone on their bench to adequately fill in with reliability. CIN screwed their own pooch by cutting FB John Connor, keeping journeyman TE Alex Smith and grasping at TE Orson Charles being able to be an effective H-back.

Charles really needs to be given more snaps at TE - I think he can be a decent pro. But with #1 draftee Eifert, And Gresham, I don't think that happens at CIN.

I'd be surprised about a Byrd trade with CIN. That extension thing that GingerP mentions is intriguing.

Were I CIN, and interested in Byrd (who hasn't IMO shown himself to be honorable in his dealings with the Bills FO, IMO), I'd offer Charles and a 4th round pick that goes to a 3rd if a lot of performance benchmarks in it, and if the Bills indeed convert his money owed to a signing bonus. Why would any club trust him or his agent?

He hasn't practiced...he holds out...he signs...he reveals an injury. That's not an appealing resume.

kingJofNYC
10-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Buffalo has all of the leverage, because the commodity is in their hands.

"Don't want to give us what we want for him? Screw you, and him...we'll hang on, pay his salary, and franchise him again next year and see who the highest bidder is then. It's your run at the playoffs at stake, not ours..."

hahaha

i personally don't think they have that much leverage, they won't get as much as the Lynch trade. you need to find a sucker, which is hard to do because the poorly run teams aren't the ones looking to trade for Byrd in season. the ones with playoff chances are usually well run and won't give up a lot for an expiring asset. offseason is when you can land a sucker

DraftBoy
10-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Another team cannot sign him to an extension, this is not the MLB or NHL where rental players are the norm. Byrd has next to no trade value right now as he could be nothing more than an 11 game rental player to another team right now. If you were the GM of another team would you give up any value to a guy you may only have for 11 games?? Absolutely not.

Technically true, but nothing says they can't agree to the terms of a deal in principle that he signs the first day he's eligible before he hits the market.

more cowbell
10-06-2013, 11:42 AM
The minor league Bills trading one of their best assets yet again. That's the Buffalo way!

Develop them, then trade them or let them walk while still in their prime.

Winfield, Pat Williams, Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee, Lynch, Peters, Levitre....

And I don't even want to switch gears to the Sabres....

LOSER MENTALITY. NOTHING HAS CHANGED WITH THIS FRANCHISE.

GingerP
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Technically true, but nothing says they can't agree to the terms of a deal in principle that he signs the first day he's eligible before he hits the market.

An agreement that has no real meaning. If Parker gets an offer for a dollar more that agreement is worth nothing. All that does is give Parker a starting point to negotiate off of with other teams.

kingJofNYC
10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
The minor league Bills trading one of their best assets yet again. That's the Buffalo way!

Develop them, then trade them or let them walk while still in their prime.

Winfield, Pat Williams, Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee, Lynch, Peters, Levitre....

And I don't even want to switch gears to the Sabres....

LOSER MENTALITY. NOTHING HAS CHANGED WITH THIS FRANCHISE.

BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO BE HERE, THEY DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR US, **** THEM! THEY'RE GREEDY *******S

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Verbally agreeing and inking the dotted line are two different things.

Byrd can say he's gonna sign an extension in the offseason with team X for 8.5 per year, his agent puts feelers out in the league and team Y says they'll give him 9 per year...Oh sorry team X I know I said I would sign but...I changed my mind. Bye!

DraftBoy
10-06-2013, 11:59 AM
An agreement that has no real meaning. If Parker gets an offer for a dollar more that agreement is worth nothing. All that does is give Parker a starting point to negotiate off of with other teams.

Not if it locked up before he hits the market. His new team will have an opportunity to negotiate with him exclusively at seasons end. If they already agree to the deal its only some finishing language and its done.

- - - Updated - - -

Byrd can say he's gonna sign an extension in the offseason with team X for 8.5 per year, his agent puts feelers out in the league and team Y says they'll give him 9 per year...Oh sorry team X I know I said I would sign but...I changed my mind. Bye!

Not Parker's style, any agent dumb enough to do that would create issues for all of his clients. Parker isn't about losing money.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Not if it locked up before he hits the market. His new team will have an opportunity to negotiate with him exclusively at seasons end. If they already agree to the deal its only some finishing language and its done.

- - - Updated - - -

Not Parker's style, any agent dumb enough to do that would create issues for all of his clients. Parker isn't about losing money.

You're saying that once the team and Byrd agree verbally they're bound by it. Neither is bound by it. If Byrd knows he'll get more elsewhere, he'll leave. If Byrd gets hurt, the team will let him walk. Of course the new team could franchise him to force him to stay and get the same treatment next season we got the first 4 weeks.

better days
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

And if that happened, the team could tag him.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
And if that happened, the team could tag him.

As I stated in the above post. There's already a precedent set with what Byrd will do if he's tagged. His "condition" will flare up again :rofl:

stuckincincy
10-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Yep. My guess is that nobody will bite on a trade of player/draft pick unless BUF is willing to be raped. Right now, he's a player with a top 5 safety contract who claimed injury, a certain attitude, and a *****ly agent.

He's a decent player. A ball hawk on an also-ran club. I was surprised they franchised him.

TacklingDummy
10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
If they can get a higher pick for him in the off-season than wait.
Don't dump him just to dump him.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 12:09 PM
If they can get a higher pick for him in the off-season than wait.
Don't dump him just to dump him.

His value will be higher in the offseason if they tag him again, where potential trade partners will be able to negotiate with him and have a contract set up when he walks in the door. Even if he doesn't play ONE down this year, his value will still be higher in a trade. Right now, I don't know why anyone would give up anything more than a third day pick on a guy who may or may not be there longer than 11 games.

better days
10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
His value will be higher in the offseason if they tag him again, where potential trade partners will be able to negotiate with him and have a contract set up when he walks in the door. Even if he doesn't play ONE down this year, his value will still be higher in a trade. Right now, I don't know why anyone would give up anything more than a third day pick on a guy who may or may not be there longer than 11 games.

I agree with you. If he wants to play now fine, otherwise let him rot on the bench the rest of the year then trade him after the season is over.

DraftBoy
10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
You're saying that once the team and Byrd agree verbally they're bound by it. Neither is bound by it. If Byrd knows he'll get more elsewhere, he'll leave. If Byrd gets hurt, the team will let him walk. Of course the new team could franchise him to force him to stay and get the same treatment next season we got the first 4 weeks.

Based on what evidence?

YardRat
10-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Cincinnati already got burned once on the 'verbal agreement' thingie from a Buffalo safety, I'm pretty sure they would be a little bit gun-shy about trying it again.

pmoon6
10-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I think as fans, we have a tendency to view the league as something bigger than it actually is--more complicated than it actually is--sort of like the federal government, or the office of the president. At the end of the day, no matter how much pomp and circumstance comes with the position, these are human beings who play the game, coach the game, and run the teams.

I say this because the Bills are very close to insulting one of the best players in the league (at his position), and then letting him strong arm his way via malfeasance into a trade, a trade which (because our hand is forced) will net us far less than his actual value. A scenario that played out before with Jason Peters (regardless of what happened to him after the fact re: rascal accidents, he was a premium talent when he left) and Marshawn Lynch.

The more players that leave the team unhappy, the more people there are are around the league who will speak to each other about the dangers of going to work for the Buffalo Bills. The team is disrespected, and at the end of the day, it can affect the way we do business.

This is why Cowher isn't our coach.Cowher wouldn't coach in Buffalo because of it's ***** ass fanbase. If he took more than two years to start winning we would see billboards and "Fire Cowher" bumper stickers.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Based on what evidence?

On which point do you need evidence?

He didn't want to be franchised because he wanted big money with a big guaranteed pay day. He played last year with his "condition" and all of sudden his "condition" made him sit out four weeks? Are you gonna just gonna claim it's all a big coincidence? He's using his "condition" as his only leverage to get him out of here and go collect his big pay day. I dunno how much more obvious he has to make the situation.

Just because you verbally agree to something doesn't mean you're gonna ink the bottom line when it comes time to do it. Yardy pointed out a guy who did it. Verbally agreements mean nothing without the ink to paper. The team who he verbally agrees with can back out when it comes time to sign the dotted line just as much as he can.

If he were to be franchised again, he'll go mope and pout again because he wants his big pay day and guaranteed money.

BillsImpossible
10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Cowher wouldn't coach in Buffalo because of it's ***** ass fanbase. If he took more than two years to start winning we would see billboards and "Fire Cowher" bumper stickers.

Uh...Cowher's wife was dying at the time. Every team has a ***** ass fanbase. If you think Buffalo fans are *****y, just listen to sports talk radio in Philly.

BillsImpossible
10-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I think coach Marrone had enough and got pissed off when Byrd said he was ready to go at the last minute on Thursday night.

Byrd wanted to play in Prime Time, and Marrone said kiss my ass. I respect that a lot.

A player does not dictate to the head coach.

Bills should not take anything less than a 1st round draft pick, but teams know that the Bills want him gone. I'd be happy with a 2nd and 4th rounder with the potential to turn into a 3rd rounder based on play.

DraftBoy
10-06-2013, 02:14 PM
On which point do you need evidence?

He didn't want to be franchised because he wanted big money with a big guaranteed pay day. He played last year with his "condition" and all of sudden his "condition" made him sit out four weeks? Are you gonna just gonna claim it's all a big coincidence? He's using his "condition" as his only leverage to get him out of here and go collect his big pay day. I dunno how much more obvious he has to make the situation.

Just because you verbally agree to something doesn't mean you're gonna ink the bottom line when it comes time to do it. Yardy pointed out a guy who did it. Verbally agreements mean nothing without the ink to paper. The team who he verbally agrees with can back out when it comes time to sign the dotted line just as much as he can.

If he were to be franchised again, he'll go mope and pout again because he wants his big pay day and guaranteed money.

Verbal agreements during the open FA period and during the exclusive FA period are two very different things. You can't take another visit during the exclusive period.

- - - Updated - - -

I think coach Marrone had enough and got pissed off when Byrd said he was ready to go at the last minute on Thursday night.

Byrd wanted to play in Prime Time, and Marrone said kiss my ass. I respect that a lot.

Bills should not take anything less than a 1st round draft pick, but teams know that the Bills want him gone. I'd be happy with a 2nd and 4th rounder with the potential to turn into a 3rd rounder based on play.

Ummm...Byrd was a full go in practices this week? How was this last minute?

psubills62
10-06-2013, 02:18 PM
terrible news.

So you'd want to trade him when he's being paid 9 mil/year and not playing well? Yeah, teams love those kinds of deals. They always beg for us to send our overpaid underachievers to their team for draft picks.

Byrd's value isn't tremendous, but if he's healthy this might be the peak. Look at Richardson - was he worth a 1st rounder? Heck no, but Indy is trying to make a playoff run. Teams are sometimes willing to trade value later for value now. And all you need is 1-2 teams willing to do that.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Assuming that's true, we lost a very winnable game when Weeden led three second half scoring drives and you're still praising Marrone?

How many losses are you willing to take to make your point?

X-Era
10-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Assuming that's true, we lost a very winnable game when Weeden led three second half scoring drives and you're still praising Marrone?

How many losses are you willing to take to make your point?That last game showed me what a backup QB with experience as a starter is worth.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 02:43 PM
That last game showed me what a backup QB with experience as a starter is worth.

It depends on the QB.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Theres a rumor that Denver may be interested. Give me DRC and a pick. Would we want Von Miller? They won't move him but still.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Theres a rumor that Denver may be interested. Give me DRC and a pick.

That could be interesting.

Would we want Von Miller? They won't move him but still.

Are you joking? Of course we would want Von Miller! Never gonna happen, but come on, what kind of question is that?

X-Era
10-06-2013, 02:58 PM
That could be interesting.

Are you joking? Of course we would want Von Miller! Never gonna happen, but come on, what kind of question is that?The guy has faked drug test(s) and has questionable character at this point. I'd do due diligence before jumping into it.

Meathead
10-06-2013, 03:00 PM
i would take either von miller or peyton manning for byrd

BillsImpossible
10-06-2013, 03:21 PM

How many losses are you willing to take to make your point?

I don't think the Bills defensive secondary was the reason why the Bills lost that game.

Special teams, and EJ's injury lost the game. Not the secondary.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 03:45 PM
The guy has faked drug test(s) and has questionable character at this point. I'd do due diligence before jumping into it.

He's a two time all pro, one of the best pass rushers in the league, and was a legit candidate for defensive player of the year last season. And he's not even 24. Unless he's suspected in an actual death, you'd be insane to pass on a player of that caliber over character concerns.

I don't think the Bills defensive secondary was the reason why the Bills lost that game.

Special teams, and EJ's injury lost the game. Not the secondary.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/1e5eevht4m8ya1p8n69i0y2k4i

Note that route was run right into Byrd's area of the field. And it set up the game-tying TD two plays later, also to Byrd's area.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 04:06 PM
He's a two time all pro, one of the best pass rushers in the league, and was a legit candidate for defensive player of the year last season. And he's not even 24. Unless he's suspected in an actual death, you'd be insane to pass on a player of that caliber over character concerns.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/1e5eevht4m8ya1p8n69i0y2k4i

Note that route was run right into Byrd's area of the field. And it set up the game-tying TD two plays later, also to Byrd's area.
You're never insane to pay very close attention to character concerns. He's doing nothing for Denver right now. His next suspension would be even longer.

We need players who will be leaders or at least not distractions on this young team.

I want players who will want to be a Bill, want to be on the field, want to be a long term part of the team, and will do what it takes to make sure they keep their nose clean so they can be on the field.

Skooby
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
You're never insane to pay very close attention to character concerns. He's doing nothing for Denver right now. His next suspension would be even longer.

We need players who will be leaders or at least not distractions on this young team.

I want players who will want to be a Bill, want to be on the field, want to be a long term part of the team, and will do what it takes to make sure they keep their nose clean so they can be on the field.

Sort of like Lynch's character problems, we really messed up there & ML hasn't been suspended.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Sort of like Lynch's character problems, we really messed up there & ML hasn't been suspended.
Just not the right time for character issues on the team. New HC and team, all new everything, young team, and we're a ways away from being a playoff squad. Just don't need the negative distraction at this point.

If we were a playoff team, established core, and Miller puts us over the top fine.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 04:31 PM

I want players who are actually good at football. I'm willing to tolerate some knuckleheads if they can beat an OT like Miller does.

X-Era
10-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I want players who are actually good at football. I'm willing to tolerate some knuckleheads if they can beat an OT like Miller does.
How about players that are good at football and also NOT knuckleheads? I'll wait for that.

Beebe
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
PLEASE don't let be a 5th round pick again.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
How about players that are good at football and also NOT knuckleheads? I'll wait for that.

Sure, I'd love those. But if you are passing on premier players like Miller while you wait...

GingerP
10-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Look at Richardson - was he worth a 1st rounder? Heck no, but Indy is trying to make a playoff run. Teams are sometimes willing to trade value later for value now. And all you need is 1-2 teams willing to do that.

The difference is Richardson is locked into Indy for a very reasonable $1,165,901 in 2013, $2,252,708 in 2014 and $3,184,062 in 2015.

The team trading for Byrd would be getting him for part of a season and paying him $4M+. The inability to extend Byrd crushes his value.

BillsFever21
10-06-2013, 07:21 PM
The difference is Richardson is locked into Indy for a very reasonable $1,165,901 in 2013, $2,252,708 in 2014 and $3,184,062 in 2015.

The team trading for Byrd would be getting him for part of a season and paying him $4M+. The inability to extend Byrd crushes his value.

That's where the Bills made their mistake like usual. They should've known all the hard feelings between the two after negotiations and then when he held out before signing the franchise tag. They should've already seen this coming and traded him at least before he signed the franchise tender with them.

His value would've been much higher if a team could've extended him and had him for some of training camp. Instead they piss around and now look to trade him? If we can't get something better then we would with the compensatory pick then keep him for the rest of the year.

GreedoII
10-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Ralph has no idea what day or year it is...but his men who are now in charge do. The marching orders were made a while ago how to run this team when ralph eventually ended up wearing diapers and drooling all over himself. What a mess. when he is 6 feet under it gets real...

BillsFever21
10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
A team that would most likely want to trade for him would be a team that is in contention this season. It wouldn't make sense for a team that wasn't in contention for the playoffs to sign him unless they knew they could get an extension done with him. They wouldn't give up a draft pick for 10 week rental.

If that was the case then that would leave the Patriots, Dolphins and Broncos. Then maybe the Eagles because of their division and maybe even the Cardinals. No way we trade him inside the division though so it would need to be with one of the other teams.

psubills62
10-06-2013, 08:02 PM

I never said it was the same situation, but I was making the point that a player can be traded for more than their actual value because Byrd can help a team now.

And frankly, that's a lot to pay for a RB who averages 3.5 YPC. Actually, looking at it now, he's averaging 3.0 YPC with Indy. Doesn't matter how much his contract is, that's not worth a 1st rounder. You can find 3.0 YPC on the street for vet minimum.

Beebe's Kid
10-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I know that I am excited to trade Byrd for some new player that has POTENTIAL, and once he DEVELOPS will be a SUPERSTAR, because Marrone is THE BEST COACH EVER, and all of that stupid homer ****.

This is a botch in every way. I know, I know, but he doesn't like you...it has nothing to do with liking you or the the Bills.

I'll say there are feelers out, but I bet a deal doesn't get done. If a deal does get done, and it is for anything less than a #1...we lost. We traded a 2nd round pick that developed into a franchise player for lesser value than we spent for him, after allowing him to complete his rookie contract and adjust to playing in the NFL, during which time he showed real progress...not the fake kind that you have to hope for, and bet our ****ing season on every year, but actual progress.

To trade Byrd would be bush league ****. It would also be a black eye for the organization...which means more than it already has been. But, but, but Whaley used to work for the Steelers...he is Superman! We'll see. If he trades Byrd, we lost. I will say with this teams record of getting immediate production out of a 1st round pick that doesn't have to be a story of POTENTIAL and DEVELOPMENT, we still lost even if we get a #1.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and I guess the prove will be at the end of the perpetual rebuilding process that never really seems to take shape.

BillsFever21
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I know that I am excited to trade Byrd for some new player that has POTENTIAL, and once he DEVELOPS will be a SUPERSTAR, because Marrone is THE BEST COACH EVER, and all of that stupid homer ****.

This is a botch in every way. I know, I know, but he doesn't like you...it has nothing to do with liking you or the the Bills.

I'll say there are feelers out, but I bet a deal doesn't get done. If a deal does get done, and it is for anything less than a #1...we lost. We traded a 2nd round pick that developed into a franchise player for lesser value than we spent for him, after allowing him to complete his rookie contract and adjust to playing in the NFL, during which time he showed real progress...not the fake kind that you have to hope for, and bet our ****ing season on every year, but actual progress.

To trade Byrd would be bush league ****. It would also be a black eye for the organization...which means more than it already has been. But, but, but Whaley used to work for the Steelers...he is Superman! We'll see. If he trades Byrd, we lost. I will say with this teams record of getting immediate production out of a 1st round pick that doesn't have to be a story of POTENTIAL and DEVELOPMENT, we still lost even if we get a #1.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and I guess the prove will be at the end of the perpetual rebuilding process that never really seems to take shape.

I would rather keep Byrd then trade him but the Bills screwed up their relationship so bad during negotiations that it's probably the only answer. They obviously didn't handle the contract situation good or Byrd just didn't want to be here. Might be a little bit of both. If we can't keep him beyond this year then I'd trade him for a 2nd rounder. It's better then not getting anything at all for him.

Mahdi
10-06-2013, 09:07 PM
There are a few other teams I think have some interest like the Lions, Eagles, Giants and Skins but I think these are the three teams that have the most playoff potential that really need to upgrade the safety position in order to make a SB push.

Since they will most likely finish in the bottom 3rd of draft position they probably don`t mind the compensation.

Beebe's Kid
10-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I would rather keep Byrd then trade him but the Bills screwed up their relationship so bad during negotiations that it's probably the only answer. They obviously didn't handle the contract situation good or Byrd just didn't want to be here. Might be a little bit of both. If we can't keep him beyond this year then I'd trade him for a 2nd rounder. It's better then not getting anything at all for him.
They weren't dating. This isn't about the relationship, and whether they can bridge the chasm that has grown between their hearts and their souls. This is not as romantic and as personal as it is being made out to be.

Byrd has one choice this year, and if the Bills choose to tag him again; next year. This is the CBA that the players' representatives agreed on with the owners. If Byrd was playing around, which I don't even know is the truth, it is irrelevant. If he says he is ready, put one of the best players the team has on the field. If Marrone sat him to **** with him...that was stupid, and the deep throws that allowed the Browns to have 37 on them are on him...I know, I know, EJ's knew etc...

The only ones that are romantic about this are the fans. To the players, coaches, and teams, this is work. Unfortunately, the thing that often makes seemingly untenable situations livable is money. Ask yourself why you go to work everyday. Ask your parents. Ask nearly everybody that you know. The answer is money. People tell me all the time that they prostitute the best hours of their day on things that they hate. Why? For money.

What do fans use football for? A distraction from the afore mentioned prostitution. They are the ones with the emotional investment. To think that there is anything more to this is missing the reality of the situation, and I am sorry if that offends somebody's thinking that Byrd really, really cares for them, or if this makes the next scoreboard intermission where the players talk about how much they love the fans seem a little less genuine. Of course they love that you spend $200/week to show up, regardless if you could really afford it or not. Hell, they wish they could clone you and double the size of the stadium.

The fans that are screaming for him to be traded, etc, are the same people that hated Manuel after the Jets game, but were ready to give him a hand-release after the Ravens game. They thought Tuel was the steal of the century, until he stepped on the field and faced his first NFL action during prime time.

This is not emotional as it is made to seem to the players, owners, coaches, etc. There is no way that it could be. Their livelihoods are tied to it. They train to hard, and are to ambitious to get to this level. They take HGH, and train like animals, and actually forgo a lot of the things that other people do all of the time, because they have to, or somebody will take their job.

I know that nobody likes to hear it, and I am surprised that I haven't gotten negged from the normal people that do when you introduce some reality to the thing that they take so personally. Most of my friends think I am crazy, so I am used to it.

The NFL is huge business, and just like most huge business, the ones at the top make obscene money, and the ones who foot most of the bill are at the bottom of the line...the consumer. The marketing of the NFL will go down as an all-time genius business move. In an economy where wages have stagnated, and unemployment has been at record highs, pensions are ****, and the cost of everything has soared...the NFL is at the zenith of its popularity and profitability. That is a staggering fact when you look at what you get in return. Especially from a team like the Bills, where high return on investment is a late season squeaker against a 2 win Dolphins team.

The team doesn't retain its top talent, they make terrible draft choices, and the ones that they hit on walk. The stadium still fills up, and everybody continues to buy the newest merchandise, which is poorly constructed...but don't worry...they will have new "gear" next year, which will make you feel like you are on the field. Maybe they'll even swap out the jersey style, so you need to have the newest one, or be out of the "club."

I say it a lot, and it is never popular, but the NFL won't be around in 30 years. There will be football, but it won't be what it is today. The injuries are serious, what the players are doing to compete is catastrophic to their bodies, and the owner's can't get enough...that is not mentioning the fans that grow more volatile and behave in an increasingly disturbing fashion. The tightened security...all of it is not going to be sustainable, and it will start to spring leaks.

The league and the owners will want more money, the fans will have less to spend. This will come from the players. They will want more money too, because everybody always does, and they are the ones that sacrifice their physical and mental health week in and week out, to a degree that 99.9% of us couldn't imagine...while fans scream themselves hoarse, and scream when a man wants compensated fairly for his work.

This whole machine is heading for a breakdown, but you can slow that by letting the FO know how much you are offended by Byrd and don't mind a 3rd round pick to replace him...they are a lot cheaper. That new stadium that everybody wants? That will be a good one. Add that to the list. Taxpayers have been getting killed for stadiums, and that wave is about to crash and roll back. The teams will have to buy them, and they aren't going to spend a billion on them...

But, as I was saying...there is no emotional connection between the team and Byrd. Nobody in sales ever gets attached to what they are selling...that is how you loose money. Football is sales at is absolute finest...

Mr. Pink
10-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I will agree with Beebe...if Byrd wanted to play and was ready to play he SHOULD have been out there on the field.

No ifs, ands or buts about it.

You put the players out there that give you the best chance at winning and Byrd is one of our best players.

BLeonard
10-06-2013, 11:35 PM
That's where the Bills made their mistake like usual. They should've known all the hard feelings between the two after negotiations and then when he held out before signing the franchise tag. They should've already seen this coming and traded him at least before he signed the franchise tender with them.

I don't defend the Bills FO often, but they couldn't have traded Byrd before he signed the Franchise Tender. Before signing the tender, Byrd was not under contract to the Bills.

Can't trade a guy that's not under contract to you.

If Byrd wanted out of Buffalo, then he made the mistake by waiting so long before signing the tag. He could have signed it in March, when it was given and then possibly a trade could have been worked out for picks in the 2013 draft. By signing so late (2 weeks into preseason) Byrd pretty much killed any chance of being traded this season.

-Bill

YardRat
10-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Per NFLN crawl, Whaley stated the team will entertain offers for Byrd, but they are not actively shopping him.

TigerJ
10-11-2013, 01:41 PM
If the Bills don't think he's worth 8.2 million next season (the tag price goes up), then absolutely they should try and trade him. Not that it's going to be easy. Not many teams will be willing to pay Byrd the prorated balance of his franchise salary of 6.9 million without him having played a down this season and knowing he wants to be the best paid safety in the game. The only way the Bills will get any value at all out of him is if the potential trading partner can reach an agreement in principle with Parker on a long term deal. Byrd can't sign a long term deal during the season, but one can be negotiated.

stuckincincy
10-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Per NFLN crawl, Whaley stated the team will entertain offers for Byrd, but they are not actively shopping him.

No other team wants him. Got top 5 salary. Held out. Claims injury after signing contract.

He gamed the system. Don't blame it on his agent.

YardRat
10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
No other team wants him. Got top 5 salary. Held out. Claims injury after signing contract.

He gamed the system. Don't blame it on his agent.

Not that I did in my post, but why not? Do you think this process was Byrd's idea, or his agent's?

YardRat
10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
FWIW, my thoughts on Whaley's comments...if you weren't shopping him, you wouldn't be willing to entertain offers. Of course they are shopping him.

stuckincincy
10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Not that I did in my post, but why not? Do you think this process was Byrd's idea, or his agent's?

His. The drama surrounding him makes me think of an old literary genre - the penny dreadful.

YardRat
10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't know if he's smart enough, or experienced enough, to map it out. Parker is, though.

stuckincincy
10-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't know if he's smart enough, or experienced enough, to map it out. Parker is, though.

Fair question. I think he is and that's why he hired that agent. We will never know.

trapezeus
10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
if he has a great game vs the bengals, some team might overpay for him.

i hate to lose a proven talent, but he didn't upend his part of the bargain. i gave him the benefit of the doubt with training camp hold out and preseason. but with a team that is paying you with the union tag, he should have come out and played at 75% with a team with such a decimated secondary.

it says something about character. i still think the bills should have been more proactive about it going into the offseason and laid out a "this is our best offer, but we'll work out a trade if you sign the tender now." so the bills could have shopped him around prior to the draft.

TacklingDummy
10-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Same as shopping.

BillsFever21
10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
He's trying to use the GM speak to get a better offer and trying to make it look like they don't really want to trade him but the right offer could change their mind.

DunkCityFan
10-11-2013, 05:30 PM

This is a great post. Tag him. Let his agent work out a deal and pick up the remainder of the contract by having the trade include a cost cutting player from the other team and a high draft pick. That is an NHL style deal, but we would get real value at that point. Honestly, if he plays in a way that is worthy of risking this, I'm not sure that it would be that bad if we paid him the tag rate next year.

Note: I'm writing this while also thinking he and the Bills both handled this year really badly

BillsFever21
10-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't defend the Bills FO often, but they couldn't have traded Byrd before he signed the Franchise Tender. Before signing the tender, Byrd was not under contract to the Bills.

Can't trade a guy that's not under contract to you.

If Byrd wanted out of Buffalo, then he made the mistake by waiting so long before signing the tag. He could have signed it in March, when it was given and then possibly a trade could have been worked out for picks in the 2013 draft. By signing so late (2 weeks into preseason) Byrd pretty much killed any chance of being traded this season.

-Bill

Of course they can't trade him before signing the tender. I meant they could've already had a trade partner worked out before he waited for the last minute to sign the tender with us to be on the Bills. Once the trade was worked out then he could've signed the tender and we could've traded him to the other team. He may have waited so long to sign it waiting on the Bills to give his agent the okay to shop him around. When training camp rolled around and he still didn't sign the tender then they definitely should've known and shopped him around. Now they wait until a week or so before the trade deadline.

The Bills front office should've known by how bad the negotiations went and how long it took him to sign it that the bridge had been burned to the ground. They should've worked out a trade with somebody even if it was after the 2013 draft. Contending teams looking for a top safety wouldn't have had much of a problem giving us 2014 draft picks for a top safety they could've signed long term after trading for him. They were obviously worried about it or they wouldn't have drafted two safeties in the middle rounds when we could've used one on another position.

By that late in the process it was clearly obvious he didn't want to be here. It was obvious to everyone that there was bitterness between both sides and that the negotiations must have went awful. They could've told him that his agent could look for a trade and if the team was willing to give up the draft picks we wanted then we would tag and trade him. Instead they sit on their hands and Byrd waits until the last minute to sign and misses the entire training camp. If we were willing to wait for 2014 draft picks then teams would've been even more interested then trading away 2013 draft picks.