PDA

View Full Version : new pictures emerge of what the Ralph will look like after renovations are done

DetDannyWilliams
10-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Bills fans won’t have any trouble recognizing the Orchard Park stadium next August, but they also won’t be able to miss the many changes coming to the playpen.
• Entrance gates will be pushed out toward the street, creating a much bigger exterior concourse outside the stadium walls and allowing for live entertainment. Six new “super gates” – down from the current nine – will have more entry lanes, and each gate will have a video board to show pregame shows and highlights.
• A huge new Bills Store will be built behind the scoreboard, off Abbott Road, with a glass exterior and a big Bills logo creating the stadium’s signature look on its new “front door.”
• The current scoreboard will stay about the same size, but its video screen will be about 60 feet wider, because the stationary ads will be removed. The picture also will be crisper, thanks to technological advances.
• Fans sitting in front of that scoreboard will be able to see, without turning completely around, two smaller video scoreboards at the opposite end.
• Other changes include a new Bills-themed East End Lounge with food and drink; moving the press box to the current Red Zone Club in the corner of the tunnel end zone; a vast rewiring to expand Wi-Fi and Das capabilities; the building of a new commissary building for Delaware North; a “freshening up” of the lower-bowl concourse; a refurbishing of concession stands to provide more variety, more local flavor and more permanent space; and 22 percent more restroom space.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/the-130-million-renovation-project-at-ralph-wilson-stadium-will-make-the-facility-more-fan-friendly-20131006

Skooby
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Polishing a turd.

lightningbolt444
10-06-2013, 11:54 AM
What the heck is the point of this? A new store? A new video screen? all of these features just sound like more ways for the Bills to increase their revenue. I fail to see how these are infrastructure improvements to bridge the gap to a new stadium. I will be interest in seeing what refreshing the concessions means because that and the restrooms really need the most attention.

What a waste of money.

better days
10-06-2013, 12:29 PM
What the heck is the point of this? A new store? A new video screen? all of these features just sound like more ways for the Bills to increase their revenue. I fail to see how these are infrastructure improvements to bridge the gap to a new stadium. I will be interest in seeing what refreshing the concessions means because that and the restrooms really need the most attention.

What a waste of money.

22% more restrooms added, concession stands added, lower bowl seats refurbished, WiFi added. It all sounds good to me. It will keep the Ralph viable until the team changes hands.

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 01:09 PM

What a waste of money.

So, you prefer the Ralph as is?

WTF do you even care, you live in Yuppie Town.

The fans' complaints are legit--horrible rest rooms, tiny concourses, ***** concessions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the sight lines or the seats, and they're adding video to the non-scoreboard side.

So they're addressing those things. And they're modernizing the curb appeal.

This is something to whine about?

stuckincincy
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Polishing a turd.

The whole biz is a turd:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

X-Era
10-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I think I misread the title: "new pictures emerge of what the Ralph will look like after renovations are done (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/220988-new-pictures-emerge-of-what-the-Ralph-will-look-like-after-renovations-are-done)"

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 01:35 PM

The fans' complaints are legit--horrible rest rooms, tiny concourses, ***** concessions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the sight lines or the seats, and they're adding video to the non-scoreboard side.

It only makes sense if they are committing to the Ralph for the long term. If they are not, I would rather see that money put towards the new stadium than putting improvements on the old.

lightningbolt444
10-06-2013, 01:42 PM

So you think this is a wise way of spending 130 million? A new stadium NEEDS to be built all they are doing here is wasting 130 million. Take that money and put it towards a new stadium the Ralph has gone this long they can get a few more years our of it as is and then build the new stadium.

Also does it matter where I live? I grew up in Buffalo and still visit a good bit and go to a good number of games. Where I live vs where you live does not change the value of our opinions. Both places are great places to live for different reasons.

I have said it in a few threads but until Buffalo as a city and franchise quit just polishing turds and spinning gears arguing over everything they will still be an afterthought to the rest of the country. This is not the 90's anymore it is time to update the right way for both the city and the team. Thankfully the city seems to be taking some great steps to bring Buffalo to where it should be now is time for the team to do the same.

THATHURMANATOR
10-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Guys shut the **** up already.

It is obvious we are nowhere near ready to build a new stadium in this area. Its not like we would be saving this money up and putting it towards the future stadium. I also love the people whining are for the most part doing so from their couches or out of town. I go to every game and have for 13+ years. I am happy these upgrades are being made. In fact they are all I would ever want. Better video Scoreboard, Better bathrooms, Better concessions, wifi, wider concourse with easier to enter gates. Those are absolutely the ONLY things I would even care about.

These same people will be the same ones losing their minds when they build a new stadium and we all have to pay 5 or 10k Personal seat licenses just to even buy season tickets. Who seriously wants that? For what? So the stadium experience can be turned more into a lame event filled with suits and non fans???? Think about that people.

lightningbolt444
10-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Guys shut the **** up already.

It is obvious we are nowhere near ready to build a new stadium in this area. Its not like we would be saving this money up and putting it towards the future stadium. I also love the people whining are for the most part doing so from their couches or out of town. I go to every game and have for 13+ years. I am happy these upgrades are being made. In fact they are all I would ever want. Better video Scoreboard, Better bathrooms, Better concessions, wifi, wider concourse with easier to enter gates. Those are absolutely the ONLY things I would even care about.

These same people will be the same ones losing their minds when they build a new stadium and we all have to pay 5 or 10k Personal seat licenses just to even buy season tickets. Who seriously wants that? For what? So the stadium experience can be turned more into a lame event filled with suits and non fans???? Think about that people.

What is holding them up from being ready for a new stadium? Cities that dont even have teams have built new arenas and stadiums just to try and attract a team. Is that what is also holding them back from the playoffs as well they are not ready?

Also for everyone complaining about fans out of town voicing their opinion remember most of us lived in Buffalo for a substantial amount of time and even if we did not out of town fans that support the team do just as much to help them stay in Buffalo as you do.

stuckincincy
10-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I am in favor of six thousand dollar PSLs for season ticket holders, and a minimum ticket price of $150. No more sticking it to folks who don't give a rat's patoot for our yucks...

Per TMQ:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

DetDannyWilliams
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
What is the New Stadium Working Group, you ask? It consists of representatives from the team, county and state that will, to quote the official press release (clipped here (http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/voteup/2012/12/21/what-we-know-about-the-new-buffalo-bills-lease/) by the Democrat and Chronicle), "explore the potential for the construction of a new stadium in the future."
The lease agreement also outlines an undisclosed fund that will be available for any development and planning needed in that group's new stadium exploration, as well.
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/12/21/3792360/new-buffalo-bills-stadium-group-fund-assembled

ParanoidAndroid
10-06-2013, 04:21 PM
The Ralph is one of the last unpretentious stadiums in the NFL. It's an experience that should not include 100% protection from the elements. The biggest problem with the Ralph, to me, is the narrow concourses. Trying to get anywhere during halftime is damn near impossible. I'm curious to see how they are going to improve that because they would have to tear out a lot of infrastructure to do so. My biggest fear in terms of a downtown stadium is the loss of the tailgating experience, but since it would be such a big boost for the city and the waterfront area, I can let go of that albeit with a slightly heavy heart. I live in MD now and I only get to go to one or two games a year, but my wife and I are planning on moving to NY in the next two years. If that happens, I will be trying to get her to give in to season tickets.

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 05:05 PM
What is holding them up from being ready for a new stadium?.

About $1 Billion.

Have you noticed that the economy is atrocious, and NY State taxpayers are taxed at higher rates than 48 other states?

And there's the fact that our owner is pushing 100, and no one knows what's going to happen when he dies.

What's holding them up is reality.

lightningbolt444
10-06-2013, 05:13 PM
About $1 Billion.

Have you noticed that the economy is atrocious, and NY State taxpayers are taxed at higher rates than 48 other states?

And there's the fact that our owner is pushing 100, and no one knows what's going to happen when he dies.

What's holding them up is reality.

So then the question I have is can Buffalo Viably support a new age NFL franchise? I never want to see the Bills leave Buffalo it would be awful but can the city support the way the NFL is now?

The lack of money when NYS taxpayers are taxed at the almost the highest rate in the county would signal a massive wasting of money would it not? Which is the whole point I was making. I for one like the Ralph it is a Turd but it is the turd I grew up watching games in I have no problem with the concourse being widened and the bathrooms getting an update or the gates. But only make the updates that are absolutely necessary if they really are moving to a new stadium soon. We have all had these conditions for a ton of years so why do they have to make the Ralph more than what it is for 4-5 years? Just seems like a waste to me.

Turf
10-06-2013, 05:59 PM
LOL Wi-Fi. Brandon will take the password off his $59 Linksys router for the day.

THATHURMANATOR
10-06-2013, 07:02 PM
So then the question I have is can Buffalo Viably support a new age NFL franchise? I never want to see the Bills leave Buffalo it would be awful but can the city support the way the NFL is now?

The lack of money when NYS taxpayers are taxed at the almost the highest rate in the county would signal a massive wasting of money would it not? Which is the whole point I was making. I for one like the Ralph it is a Turd but it is the turd I grew up watching games in I have no problem with the concourse being widened and the bathrooms getting an update or the gates. But only make the updates that are absolutely necessary if they really are moving to a new stadium soon. We have all had these conditions for a ton of years so why do they have to make the Ralph more than what it is for 4-5 years? Just seems like a waste to me.

People. If we were to get a new stadium it is almost certainly not happening for around 10 years.

Can Buffalo viably support the Bills in today's current landscape? Of course. They are profitable now.

People need to actually think about things before spouting off with whatever they heard jonny at the local bar blabbing to his buddies.

THINK PEOPLE!!!!

GreedoII
10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Ralph is a polished turn actually...just a flesh bag of drool and poopy diapers

The whole biz is a turd:

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM

The lack of money when NYS taxpayers are taxed at the almost the highest rate in the county would signal a massive wasting of money would it not?.

Wow. No....it would represent a solution to a "problem" that saves roughly $900 MIL.

I mentioned this earlier--spending $1 BIL on a building that's used basically 8 times a year is asinine.

Almost as asinine would be spending $1 BIL on a team whose future is tied to the health of a 95 year old man. When Ralph dies, nobody knows how things unfold. Only a damned fool would advocate spending $1 BIL in this situation.

Making improvements keeps fans happy until the ownership situation is solidified. The alternative is doing nothing, which would be like waving a white flag. The current owner has said dozens of times that he's perfectly happy with un upgraded current stadium. For now, he and the fans are the only people the County/State need to keep happy. When he's gone, that's when another discussion takes place.

Do you get paid every time you use the word "turd" or is it just a limited vocabulary and a love of feces that compels you to use it in every post?

Beebe's Kid
10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I gave up my season tickets midway through last year. I watched the experience around me, thought about what I was spending my money on, and just decided to sell the second half tickets off. I have no regrets, and the stadium didn't play a factor in that decision at all. It never played a factor in my decision to get tickets, or to let them go.

It is just where the Bills play football. If i wanted to watch them, I went there. I live close to three NFL cities...I could have gone to different stadiums, with the other two having PSLs, but I would have had to have watched a different team. I guess that is just what it boils down to.

A new stadium will definitely affect people's plans about whether they go and see them play or not. The PSL will put some people out of range, and others just won't want to pay it. Maybe it will draw a more aristocratic crowd, if that is what you are into, but it is going to lose some fans for sure.

I think that a new stadium would end up being the death knell for football in Buffalo. Isn't that crazy? I mean you think people would flock to a classy place on the lake, right...I doubt it. Not once they raise the prices, because, of course everything will have to go up...concessions, memorabilia, parking, tickets, and that is just for those privileged enough to attend the game in person...because taxes will go up. Local and sales taxes, I would guess, because even though this team makes a killing on your back right not (and doesn't retain any high priced talent) they won't spend a ****ing dime, but the taxpayers and fans will...and when it fails to fill up, they'll move the team.

Beebe's Kid
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Although a big empty stadium would be good for the economy in Buffalo because of high school tournaments, and maybe they would get a bowl game or something nice. Or...just keep paying for an empty building by the lake.

Maybe the Super Bowl would come, because you could build hotels around it! They will be empty all of the time too, but just maybe!!

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Wow. No....it would represent a solution to a "problem" that saves roughly $900 MIL.

I mentioned this earlier--spending $1 BIL on a building that's used basically 8 times a year is asinine.

Almost as asinine would be spending $1 BIL on a team whose future is tied to the health of a 95 year old man. When Ralph dies, nobody knows how things unfold. Only a damned fool would advocate spending $1 BIL in this situation.

$1 Billion is the price of crazy egodomes like Jerry World in Dallas or Metlife in New York. It's not required that we build a monstrosity like that to keep Bills football competitive. For example: Ford Field ($550 million in adjusted dollars), Gilette Stadium ($415 million adjusted), and Sports Authority field ($540 million) are all fine stadiums.

And when we're talking about an entire stadium for $500 million, then $130 million in putting a band aid on the Ralph doesn't make sense IMO.

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 10:03 PM
And when we're talking about an entire stadium for $500 million, then $130 million in putting a band aid on the Ralph doesn't make sense IMO.

It does when there's a high possibility that your 95 year old owner could die any day and the team would very likely be auctioned off to the highest bidder,regardless of where that bidder might move the team.

It's called limiting your exposure while addressing the concerns of your clientele.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
It does when there's a high possibility that your 95 year old owner could die any day and the team would very likely be auctioned off to the highest bidder,regardless of where that bidder might move the team.

It's called limiting your exposure while addressing the concerns of your clientele.

So write heavy lease breach fees into the deal with the team. Jacksonville has such a fee. If you are going to make that argument, it applies to the renovations too

lightningbolt444
10-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Making improvements keeps fans happy until the ownership situation is solidified. The alternative is doing nothing, which would be like waving a white flag. The current owner has said dozens of times that he's perfectly happy with un upgraded current stadium. For now, he and the fans are the only people the County/State need to keep happy. When he's gone, that's when another discussion takes place.

Do you get paid every time you use the word "turd" or is it just a limited vocabulary and a love of feces that compels you to use it in every post?

Glad everyone of your posts has a personal attack attached to it.

You do not even know me from a hole in the wall. I am stating my opinion on why I think this is a huge waste of money if you want to discuss that without a personal attack and give me your reasons I am happy to have that conversation.

If you would like the Bills and the County to keep doing exactly what they have been doing for years and can justify 130 million for 7 years and then still have to put up the money at the end of the whole thing for a new stadium then all the power to you. You say the economy is awful but do you really see Buffalo changing that much in the next 7 years in that department? What do you do at that point just throw another 130 million because the time is still not right?

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 11:23 PM
So write heavy lease breach fees into the deal with the team. Jacksonville has such a fee. If you are going to make that argument, it applies to the renovations too

They just signed a 10 year lease with those about 6 months ago.

WagonCircler
10-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Glad everyone of your posts has a personal attack attached to it.

You do not even know me from a hole in the wall. I am stating my opinion on why I think this is a huge waste of money if you want to discuss that without a personal attack and give me your reasons I am happy to have that conversation.

If you would like the Bills and the County to keep doing exactly what they have been doing for years and can justify 130 million for 7 years and then still have to put up the money at the end of the whole thing for a new stadium then all the power to you. You say the economy is awful but do you really see Buffalo changing that much in the next 7 years in that department? What do you do at that point just throw another 130 million because the time is still not right?

I say the economy is awful, yes, but that's not to say it's going to get better, it's to say that there's not $1 BIL or even $500 MIL floating around to build a stadium.

Buffalo is the City of Good Neighbors and the Home of the Worst Case Scenario. It's not even a tiny stretch to envision Ralph dying and the team being sold, so there's no way either party goes about trying to build a new stadium.

It's a pipe dream. Learn to live with it.

Now, if, upon Wilson's passing, someone like Terry Pegula buys the team, that's a game changer. Until then, you're tilting at windmills.

Historian
10-07-2013, 05:25 AM
My only concern is some of the structural rot that I saw last time I was there...crumbling concrete, rust peeking through, etc.

It's nobody's fault....it's the climate here.

If they're going to put money into the place, I hope they do their homework.

RedEyE
10-07-2013, 07:16 AM
According to Skooby, they're doing all of this just to further segregate the drinking fountains.