PDA

View Full Version : Flyers have no patience, 0-3 with 3 goals score, bye bye coach

PTI
10-07-2013, 09:46 AM
This is when you actually have expectations.

Skooby
10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
LOL, wow that was quick.

coastal
10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Snaps

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
i suppose the sabres should fire rolston for the same record in a rebuild year and cry out "expectations!"

the sabres are meeting their expectations.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
i suppose the sabres should fire rolston for the same record in a rebuild year and cry out "expectations!"

the sabres are meeting their expectations.
Bull****. 2 goals in 3 games? The Sabres have been incompetent in every phase of the game except PK. That's unacceptable even during a "rebuild." You have this bizarre notion that "rebuilding" means being completely incompetent.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Bull****. 2 goals in 3 games? The Sabres have been incompetent in every phase of the game except PK. That's unacceptable even during a "rebuild." You have this bizarre notion that "rebuilding" means being completely incompetent.

no, i have the bizarre nation that rebuilding means being patient and not to panic after 3 games.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
no, i have the bizarre nation that rebuilding means being patient and not to panic after 3 games.
Except it's not 3 games.

The PP has sucked for what? 8 years? They've been over-relying on Vanek for O and Miller for D for years as well.

They haven't solved any problems and they've thrown a whole host of new ones into the mix.

The King
10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
This is ridiculous. If the leash was this short they shouldve let him go during the off season.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Except it's not 3 games.

The PP has sucked for what? 8 years? They've been over-relying on Vanek for O and Miller for D for years as well.

They haven't solved any problems and they've thrown a whole host of new ones into the mix.

what exactly do you want? you want to get rid of every vet in favor of youth and draft picks, but you also want to be competitive and solve all these issues theyve had for years at the same time? thats not going to happen.

i think you are being unrealistic.

PTI
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Hockey seems more emotional than other sports, this is not the first time. This happens a lot in hockey. I think they Penguins and Devils also fired coaches in the last week or two of the regular season and won the Stanley Cup with them.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
what exactly do you want? you want to get rid of every vet in favor of youth and draft picks, but you also want to be competitive and solve all these issues theyve had for years at the same time? thats not going to happen.

i think you are being unrealistic.
I think they need to either commit to a rebuild or bring in talent to try to fix the problems and win games. But, as usual, they're fence-sitting. They're not breaking the team down or trading their highest value players but they didn't really bring in any talent either.

And a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that the rebuild should have happened in 07-08 but stubborn Darcy tried for way too long to build a team around Roy and Pominville. If he had done it right, we would have been Cup contenders for the last 3 years, and might still be.

Again, I could live with a rebuild if we were coming off some success and the team just got old and expensive. I can't accept a "rebuild" after languishing in mediocrity for 5 years.

This team is putting itself on a Bills-like perpetual rebuilding cycle.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I think they need to either commit to a rebuild or bring in talent to try to fix the problems and win games. But, as usual, they're fence-sitting. They're not breaking the team down or trading their highest value players but they didn't really bring in any talent either.

And a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that the rebuild should have happened in 07-08 but stubborn Darcy tried for way too long to build a team around Roy and Pominville. If he had done it right, we would have been Cup contenders for the last 3 years, and might still be.

Again, I could live with a rebuild if we were coming off some success and the team just got old and expensive. I can't accept a "rebuild" after languishing in mediocrity for 5 years.

This team is putting itself on a Bills-like perpetual rebuilding cycle.

i dont see how they are fence sitting. this team is in the middle of a massive rebuild.

they brought in plenty of talent. its just not ready for the NHL yet.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
They are fence sitting because they didn't trade their best asset in Vanek and Miller, and because they didn't buy out Leino and/or Stafford.

You say there's no trade market for Stafford and Leino, and I agree with that. But don't try to tell me that there is no trade market for Vanek or Miller. And to make matters worse, they can (and likely will) walk for nothing of try aren't traded by the deadline.

Of course, the biggest fence-sitting of all is that Darcy is still here. He's the one who hired Lindy and kept him around for a bazillion years. He's the one who let Briere and Drury walk. He's the one who doesn't make the playoffs half the time. He's the one tha gave us the ****storm of players over the years that no coach could win with. He's the one who's gone almost a decade without finding coaches or players who can fix the PP.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 03:04 PM
They are fence sitting because they didn't trade their best asset in Vanek and Miller, and because they didn't buy out Leino and/or Stafford.

You say there's no trade market for Stafford and Leino, and I agree with that. But don't try to tell me that there is no trade market for Vanek or Miller. And to make matters worse, they can (and likely will) walk for nothing of try aren't traded by the deadline.

Of course, the biggest fence-sitting of all is that Darcy is still here. He's the one who hired Lindy and kept him around for a bazillion years. He's the one who let Briere and Drury walk. He's the one who doesn't make the playoffs half the time. He's the one tha gave us the ****storm of players over the years that no coach could win with. He's the one who's gone almost a decade without finding coaches or players who can fix the PP.

the thing about trading vanek and miller is not that they havnt decided if they are. its that they dont feel they are getting a good enough return for them. like i said, you cant trade the whole roster at once. expect vanek and miller to go around the deadline.

PTI
10-07-2013, 03:24 PM
They better be fielding offers right now.

Night Train
10-07-2013, 03:30 PM
This is when you actually have expectations.

This is when you don't have a GM for life with no accountability.

Dude
10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
The thing is that the Flyers do have high expectations and fired a coach that underperformed last year and showed no improvement to date.

The Sabres have kept a GM for 16 years who has built multiple losing teams and is now cleaning up his own mess.....again.

Expectations. We have none.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
They better be fielding offers right now.

i think they are. id assume no offers are really out there this early in the season. come december, i think itll heat up.

as for darcy, i am not defending him. i think he should be gone. i just think hes a good GM trade wise when he makes them. personally, id have liked to have seen ruff get the promotion to GM. didnt happen. rick dudley would be nice though.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
the thing about trading vanek and miller is not that they havnt decided if they are. its that they dont feel they are getting a good enough return for them. like i said, you cant trade the whole roster at once. expect vanek and miller to go around the deadline.

Any return is better than zero...remember Briere and Drury?

Darcy sounds like a homeowner who is trying to sell a house worth $350k for $500k because they bought it for $475 at the peak of the market in 2006.

OpIv37
10-07-2013, 07:59 PM
And one more thing- I'm so tired of the Bills and the Sabres always having some reason why we can't expect them to win: rebuilding, new coach, young team, whatever.

It's exhausting to constantly have to have lower expectations than every other team in the league.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Any return is better than zero...remember Briere and Drury?

Darcy sounds like a homeowner who is trying to sell a house worth $350k for $500k because they bought it for $475 at the peak of the market in 2006.

if they leave for no return and we hear that darcy turned down trade after trade, ok. fine. but they havnt left for no return, and theyll likely be moved for something in march.

as for drury and briere, thats not all darcys fault either. the sabres were up against the cap and could only choose one. they went with drury, and drury went the other way.

also, briere went into darcys office and begged him to keep the team together and asked for a contract of 5 years, 5 mil per, well less then he would get in the open market. golisano said no, and its their policy not to negotiate during the season.

JATMtheJATM
10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
worst case scenario is the sabres actually play well enough to be in the hunt, and the sabres keep those two for a run and they walk.

OpIv37
10-08-2013, 07:50 AM
If we can make a run, then lose them for nothing, I won't be thrilled about it but I get it.

And it has to be an actual run- not limping in as a 7th or 8th seed and losing in the first round.

JATMtheJATM
10-08-2013, 11:10 AM
if the sabres are 10th or higher on deadline day, im sad to say theyll stay and try to resign them.

OpIv37
10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
If that happens Darcy MUST be fired.

Miller is at the end of his career. If this team ever develops, he might not be around to see the results. Vanek is at the prime of his career, and with better talent around him, could be an important part of a Cup run. I don't know why he'd waste that on our rebuild.

Then there's Miller selling his house and wanting to be closer to his wife...

Darcy needs to realize these guys aren't coming back no matter how much he offers.

DetDannyWilliams
10-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Miller sold his house because of the property tax was going up in the city. My brother and his wife and his baby girl lives in South Buffalo and he is a Buffalo FireFighter and he's looking to move because the property tax is skyrocketing right now.

OpIv37
10-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Miller sold his house because of the property tax was going up in the city. My brother and his wife and his baby girl lives in South Buffalo and he is a Buffalo FireFighter and he's looking to move because the property tax is skyrocketing right now.

1. Somehow I doubt a firefighter makes as much money as a star NHL goaltender. Miller could have afforded the tax if he wanted to stay.
2. As far as I know, he didn't buy another place in a suburb with lower property tax. Translation: the sale was about more than avoiding a tax.

DetDannyWilliams
10-08-2013, 03:54 PM
found it!
“The sale of the place, that played out a little differently than I thought it would,” Miller said. “People are either going to believe this or they’re not, but I’ve watched a lot of guys in this town sit on a residence that they’ve had after they’ve left town for a couple years. After I got married, I decided at a certain point that house wasn’t going to be good enough for a family at a certain point. I identified a time I was going to sell it, and it was going to be in the last year of my deal so I didn’t get stuck with it.
“I thought it was a smart business decision to at least have it on the market in the last year of my deal so I didn’t get lowballed. People, they know you’re out of town, they know they can lowball you. That was my thinking. Then the way it played out, of course, I just had to laugh to myself and say this is not going to be looking good to the people of Buffalo.” http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/miller-enters-sabres-camp-with-several-goals-20130911

OpIv37
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes, because athletes who have to play in a city always tell the truth to the local media, especially when it comes to financial decisions......