PDA

View Full Version : Raiders cutting Matt Flynn

The King
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
According to Ian Rappaport the Raiders are releasing Flynn. Trying-out third stringers.

DBrown77
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
That dude got a huge payday for looking good in 1 game. I think he made $16.5 mil between Oakland and Seattle.

better days
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
I think they overpaid him & are trying to cut their losses.

The King
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
I know 10 million was guaranteed. The original deal was 3 years 19 mill.

Jaybird
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
at no cost we should bring him in. What happens if 1 of the current guys go down. Im in no way a fan of his, but we need to be proactive

The King
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
He should clear waivers without any issue. Unless Jacksonville wants to gamble.

black N yellow
10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
matt flynn = rob johnson

Night Train
10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
matt flynn = rob johnson

Beat me to it.

DBrown77
10-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I dont think he fits our scheme

sukie
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Who was the OC when Flynn was concsidered a good player? And who (same guy) passed on him when named a head coach before Flynn went to Seattle?

stuckincincy
10-07-2013, 02:17 PM

That could be construed as a plus. :eeklol:

DBrown77
10-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Who was the OC when Flynn was concsidered a good player? And who (same guy) passed on him when named a head coach before Flynn went to Seattle?I have no clue

Forward_Lateral
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I'll take Joe Philbin for 500 Alex

sukie
10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I'll take Joe Philbin for 500 Alex

So if your former coordinator balks on you as a free aghent... You suck.

X-Era
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I like him better than Pat White or Dennis Dixon.

trapezeus
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Matt Flynn is raising money like a venture capitalist. HE has one of the ugliest bodies of work since he left greenbay yet got two guaranteed contracts in like 3 years. imagine what he could have made if he was any good?

stuckincincy
10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Matt Flynn is raising money like a venture capitalist. HE has one of the ugliest bodies of work since he left greenbay yet got two guaranteed contracts in like 3 years. imagine what he could have made if he was any good?

There's no business like show business.

feldspar
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
What possible reason would the Bills have to be interested in Matt Flynn? There is not a single reason.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
What possible reason would the Bills have to be interested in Matt Flynn? There is not a single reason.

Yes there is. The Bills have picked some of the worst QBs since Jim Kelly left in '96. 17 years of futility.

feldspar
10-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes there is. The Bills have picked some of the worst QBs since Jim Kelly left in '96. 17 years of futility.

That's a reason NOT to pick up Matt Flynn.

RedEyE
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
That dude got a huge payday for looking good in 1 game. I think he made $16.5 mil between Oakland and Seattle.

Flynn and Rob Johnson. This is what happens when you shine as a back-up QB in week 17.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Jeff Tuel is the backup.

That's a reason to pick up ANY qb who's ever played an NFL game.

feldspar
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Jeff Tuel is the backup.

That's a reason to pick up ANY qb who's ever played an NFL game.

No it isn't...not this year. It's already too late this year. A guy like Matt Flynn isn't going to come in and help this team this year. There isn't a guy like that out there. Tuel knows the playbook and is familiar with the team, at least. Quarterback is not a plug-and-play position, to put it mildly.

Also, Tuel is NOT the backup now. Thad Lewis is. We'll see how he does, but it's already too late to pick up a difference making QB.

And Manuel will be back...the sooner the better. Lots of teams would be in big trouble if their starting QB went down.

Too bad the Bills put Kevin Kolb on IR in such knee-jerk fashion. They put him on IR about 7-weeks ago because of a concussion. I know Kolb has a history of concussions, but the Bills should have at least taken a wait-and-see approach. Did the Bills want to avoid having to pay him his $250,000 roster bonus? Not that Kolb is a world-beater, but we picked him up in the event of this exact situation. I bet he could play now, which is my point.

Gotta wait until next year to get the best backup we can, or even a guy that can compete for the starting job.

imbondz
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Matt Flynn is the poster boy for not going crazy after 1 game. That said, bring him in!!!

malvado78
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Why? Cuz he's not colored?

Mace
10-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think he ever even had a chance to be as bad as Trent Edwards who still appears once in a while, or Matt Cassel who built a resume of bad and will be around another decade. I almost think Flynn may have ridiculed Mark Davis haircut in front of Mark Davis or something because he just wasn't there long enough to get Freeman'd, Freemanishly with a Schianoing, or he gave an assistant coach a groin injury for being bold.

Crisis
10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
The guy is the Good Luck Chuck of QBs. Bring him in, Terrelle Pryor looks like a real QB after Flynn's voodoo magic crossed paths with him.

Rodgers, Wilson, now Pryor... maybe he can turn EJ into Joe Montana.

stuckincincy
10-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Too bad the Bills put Kevin Kolb on IR in such knee-jerk fashion. They put him on IR about 7-weeks ago because of a concussion. I know Kolb has a history of concussions, but the Bills should have at least taken a wait-and-see approach. Did the Bills want to avoid having to pay him his $250,000 roster bonus? Not that Kolb is a world-beater, but we picked him up in the event of this exact situation. I bet he could play now, which is my point.

I was surprised they put him on IR so quickly, too. I guess he was really banged-up with this concussion - and I suspect also that the decision was influenced by the fact that the subject of concussions are on the front burner these days.

I'll never quite understand their handling of Tavaris Jackson.

PTI
10-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Lots of Matt's in the NFL. Only one doing well is Matthew Stafford with the Lions!

Ryan - Falcons free fall, although playing well
Schaub - Texans free fall, playing bad
Cassell - won't last long with Vikings
Hassleback - good gig as Colts backup
Moore- OK gig as Phins backup, could play a little
McGloin - new Raiders backup, replaced Flynn
Flynn - just dumped, could be done
Simms - Jets backup
Blanchard - Bears backup
Barkley - Eagles backup
Leinart - awful

justasportsfan
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM

IMO, they screwed up with decision to let Tavaris go instead of Kolb. Based on the qb's they brought in, Dixon/White and the decision to go with Lewis over Tuel, it seems they want qb's who can run the read option. Kolb obviously wasn't going to be able to run it.

This makes me wonder why we're even keeping Tuel. He's got a different skill set from all the qb's we looked at .

Mace
10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
This makes me wonder why we're even keeping Tuel. He's got a different skill set from all the qb's we looked at .

Because it's best to be prepared in case you have to fire everyone again and start over with a different type of offense.

Dont drink the water
10-09-2013, 09:20 PM
matt flynn = rob johnson
I did not know his father was a coach.

jimmifli
10-09-2013, 10:45 PM
We need more Williams' on this team. Any free agent QB's with the last name Williams? NFL experience not required.

BillsFever21
10-09-2013, 10:50 PM
We need more Williams' on this team. Any free agent QB's with the last name Williams? NFL experience not required.

Either that or somebody with a nickname. Maybe we can find someone named JJ Williams to play QB and he would fit each criteria to be a member of the Bills. Either that or we can trade for DJ Williams to play linebacker while we're at it.

kishoph
10-10-2013, 06:59 AM
I was surprised they put him on IR so quickly, too. I guess he was really banged-up with this concussion - and I suspect also that the decision was influenced by the fact that the subject of concussions are on the front burner these days.

I'll never quite understand their handling of Tavaris Jackson.

I think the Bills putting Kolb on the IR may of been of service to Kolb. Some thought that this was going to be a career ending injury for Kolb, because of his history of concussions, at least by being on the IR, he didn't have to make any rash decisions.

pmoon6
10-10-2013, 07:01 AM
...or Scott Mitchell. Then again, Johnny Unitas and Jack Kemp were picked up from the refuse heap. Rich Gannon and Kurt Warner toiled in obscurity before rising to NFL MVP. Brett Favre was picked up for nothing from Atlanta as a back-up. Also, you are going to rely on the Raiders organization for QB evaluation? Jamarcus Russell ring a bell? They have been worse than the Bills as far as getting good QB's.

malvado78
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
...or Scott Mitchell. Then again, Johnny Unitas and Jack Kemp were picked up from the refuse heap. Rich Gannon and Kurt Warner toiled in obscurity before rising to NFL MVP. Brett Favre was picked up for nothing from Atlanta as a back-up. Also, you are going to rely on the Raiders organization for QB evaluation? Jamarcus Russell ring a bell? They have been worse than the Bills as far as getting good QB's.

Not just the Raiders. The Raiders, Seahawks, and Packers...

pmoon6
10-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Not just the Raiders. The Raiders, Seahawks, and Packers...Matt Flynn is just another unproven QB. Too make an evaluation because Green Bay traded him to get great value or Seattle cut him because of the emergence of Russell Wilson and probably to save some money is kind of an unfair knock. Just because the Raiders decided to go with Pryor doesn't mean the kid can't play QB.

Bill Cody
10-10-2013, 09:03 AM

I'd kind of like to feel the game isn't lost before it starts if our starter goes down. IMHO Matt Flynn > Jeff Tuel or Thad Lewis

The Rob Johnson comparison is funny as hell and it's right that Flynn has vultured millions for doing next to nothing. But I'll say this- I watched Flynn carve up the Patriots a few years ago with accurate passing and unlike Robo Sack he doesn't hold the ball. Ok he'd need a crash course in the playbook but I'd rather have him marking plays in the dirt than watch the ball keep hitting the ground with the other two.

Bill Cody
10-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I think the Bills putting Kolb on the IR may of been of service to Kolb. Some thought that this was going to be a career ending injury for Kolb, because of his history of concussions, at least by being on the IR, he didn't have to make any rash decisions.

I doubt Kolb takes another snap in the NFL

GingerP
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
To be fair to Flynn, there are reports he hurt his elbow going back to August of 2012 with the Seahawks. He hasn't been the same since, especially arm-wise. It could be his lack of arm strength throwing downfield is due to his elbow issues. He did a good job in Green Bay, and if he can get healthy he may be able to play again in the league.

better days
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
To be fair to Flynn, there are reports he hurt his elbow going back to August of 2012 with the Seahawks. He hasn't been the same since, especially arm-wise. It could be his lack of arm strength throwing downfield is due to his elbow issues. He did a good job in Green Bay, and if he can get healthy he may be able to play again in the league.

That is the likely problem with Flynn. It is questionable his arm will ever be good again & at this point even though the Packers need a backup to Rogers, they want nothing to do with Flynn.

BillsFever21
10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I would bring Matt Flynn in as a backup QB if it's only for around a million a year. What can it hurt? At least he has some experience and he's better then any of our current backups. I would've rather sign him instead of Pat White.