• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTI
    Banned
    • Jan 2011

League of Denial, documentary on PBS tonight, ESPN forced the move

Will you watch it?

Brothers Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru take an exhaustive look at how the NFL has dealt with allegations that playing football can lead to brain damage. They say the NFL has repeatedly avoided tying football to brain injury, even as it has given disability payments to former players with dementia-related conditions.

Supposedly it is stunning information of how the NFL knew all along like big tobacco of the dangers and simply ignored them and manufactured opposing studies and thoughts about how dangerous the NFL really is.

I am interested, and although I think it is common sense that this is a dangerous occupation, I think it is awful to cover up that this is a dangerous occupation.

Was going to air on ESPN or even on a national station, I think , but no one wanted to fight the NFL, and thus it goes to PBS.
  • ckg927
    Not quite Best in the World....
    • Aug 2012

Re: League of Denial, documentary on PBS tonight, ESPN forced the move

PTI: Dave Zirin wrote about this a few weeks ago, and the story behind it might be more interesting than the documentary...

Leading ESPN journalists say the business side of the network always trumps journalism, even when it comes to players’ safety.
    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• PTI
      Banned
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
      PTI: Dave Zirin wrote about this a few weeks ago, and the story behind it might be more interesting than the documentary...

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175895...on-documentary
      Thank you!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by PTI View Post
        Will you watch it?

Brothers Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru take an exhaustive look at how the NFL has dealt with allegations that playing football can lead to brain damage. They say the NFL has repeatedly avoided tying football to brain injury, even as it has given disability payments to former players with dementia-related conditions.

Supposedly it is stunning information of how the NFL knew all along like big tobacco of the dangers and simply ignored them and manufactured opposing studies and thoughts about how dangerous the NFL really is.

I am interested, and although I think it is common sense that this is a dangerous occupation, I think it is awful to cover up that this is a dangerous occupation.

Was going to air on ESPN or even on a national station, I think , but no one wanted to fight the NFL, and thus it goes to PBS.
        Don't attack "big tobacco". The tax on it is 4th largest revenue stream flowing into the coffers in the State of Ohio. Likely the same with other states. Here in OH, a wag once worked the numbers, and determined that if OH made cigs illegal and they didn't get the tax juice from the paying smokers, the average state tax bill would rise by 400 bucks when the smoker subsidy for the non-smokers went away.

The crap about smokers "costing" is just..smoke and mirrors. Smoking-related diseases tend to knock one off quickly - you don't linger, you don't suck up social security and medicare.

There are sound reasons to ban the sale of tobacco - ask yourself why that hasn't been done..
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• PTI
          Banned
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          Don't attack "big tobacco". The tax on it is 4th largest revenue stream flowing into the coffers in the State of Ohio. Likely the same with other states. Here in OH, a wag once worked the numbers, and determined that if OH made cigs illegal and they didn't get the tax juice from the paying smokers, the average state tax bill would rise by 400 bucks when the smoker subsidy for the non-smokers went away.

The crap about smokers "costing" is just..smoke and mirrors. Smoking-related diseases tend to knock one off quickly - you don't linger, you don't suck up social security and medicare.

There are sound reasons to ban the sale of tobacco - ask yourself why that hasn't been done..
          I smoke some, wife does full time, but I guess I was getting more at how they knew it could cancer, that is all. I agree with everything you typed right there.

I would like us to quit though!

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

I had more to say, was editing my post, but ran up against the 10 minute limit on editing on this site. I understand reasons for time limits on editing. However, this 10 min. does not allow one enough time to revise one's thoughts.

It's a poor policy. The only reason I can come with up with having such a short edit time is some sort of purile "ah ha you said it i gotcha" mindset. Goes with the times, I suppose...

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by PTI View Post
              I smoke some, wife does full time, but I guess I was getting more at how they knew it could cancer, that is all. I agree with everything you typed right there.

I would like us to quit though!
              Tobacco is an addictive drug. Like alcohol. With alcohol,you get understanding, often free treatment. You can't be fired for alcohol, you can't have your medical rates raised. People with alcohol problems canl beat the daylights out of each other, kill themselves and others on the road.Ddon't show up for work. Smoking cigs never did suc

I remember when going outside with a fellow, to have a smoke, soothing ruffed feathers. Have the puffs, resolve the issues peacefully.

What a pyrrhic, wrong-minded society we have become.

Comment

Working...
              X