• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

NFL will compel teams to participate in HBO's 'Hard Knocks'

The NFL will guarantee participation of NFL teams for the HBO show Hard Knocks.

The measure passed by a vote at the fall league meeting being held in Washington. The move eliminates some of the scrambling that has occurred in the past getting teams to go on the show. Now the NFL has the authority to compel a team to be on the show.

Teams that have appeared on the show in the last 10 years, reached the playoffs within two years, or have a new coach can opt out of the pool of potential teams for that year.
    -Bill
  • MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: NFL will compel teams to participate in HBO's 'Hard Knocks'

The chances of "Hard Knocks" coming to Buffalo are about zero. It would get killed in the ratings.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

No one in Buffalo has HBO, so this is about as likely as us making the playoffs.

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

I have HBO you dip****.

Showtime, Encore, and Cinemax too.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I've got the NFL's 'compel' hangin' right here.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• G Wolly
            • Mar 2004

I remember hearing Gailey was approached but turned it down.

Didn't wanna give away all his secrets of how to suck, I guess.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              I have HBO you dip****.

Showtime, Encore, and Cinemax too.

It was a joke, I even had HBO as a kid. They played Smokey & the Bandit quite a bit, the fuzzy channels brought the most entertainment though.

Comment

• DBrown77
                Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                • Mar 2005

Teams that were in the playoffs the prior 2 years or teams with new head coaches are exempt and can turn it down.

Hard Knocks will be in Buffalo eventually. The point is to get more national exposure to teams not playing well.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

No way, no worse than Cincinnati.
                  Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                  The chances of "Hard Knocks" coming to Buffalo are about zero. It would get killed in the ratings.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

buffalo has a lot of fans. and i think the NFL actually knows that. it's just that the fan base is pretty spread apart from years of migrating elsewhere. i wouldn't be surprised if a buffalo series did very well.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                      buffalo has a lot of fans. and i think the NFL actually knows that. it's just that the fan base is pretty spread apart from years of migrating elsewhere. i wouldn't be surprised if a buffalo series did very well.
                      exactly.

i live out of market and i wear a lot of bills gear golfing, have a bumper sticker on my car, etc.

in the last decade, i literally have not met a single person who has anything bad to say about the bills.

let me say this: if the bills make the playoffs, and we get that promotional coverage, and then somehow manage to lose a conference championship game or, heaven forbid, a superbowl, in heart breaking fashion? we would instantly become one of the most popular teams in american sports, just because of our underdog stature, and the story that comes along with it, ala the red sox in 03.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Go to Sabres vs. Stars game here, and it's 50% Sabres fans.
                        Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Actually, on the NFL Network there was a little piece on that and it was said the NFL is specifically interested in getting some small market teams on Hard Knocks. They mentioned the Bills by name as a prime candidate.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Well that's appropriate since Buffalo usually gets killed on the scoreboard.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

seeing the bills on hard knocks would be the coolest thing since fried ice cream.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X