PDA

View Full Version : Bills roster moves - 10/8

BLeonard
10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
CB Brandon Smith and LB Ty Powell added to 53 man roster.

LB Marcus Dotwin, CB Johnny Adams Released.

QB Dennis Dixon added to Practice Squad.

Per V-text

-Bill

YardRat
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
WELL IF THE DUMBASSES IN THE FRONT OFFICE HAD SIGNED EVERY OVER-PRICED FREE AGENT 'NAME' PLAYER THAT WE ALL KNOW DURING THE OFF-SEASON WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE MAKING THESE MOVES AFTER A DOZEN-OR-SO PIDDLY LITTLE INJURIES!!!

Forward_Lateral
10-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Dixon to the PS. I like that move actually.

justasportsfan
10-08-2013, 03:04 PM
after few weeks of learning the playbook , will Dixon will be our qb ?

DBrown77
10-08-2013, 03:04 PM
The Bills are moving around a bunch of scrubs this week. Looking for a gem.

Will Allen was cut from Dallas. Should take a look at him.

Wouldnt be suprised if we looked at Armanti Edwards either.

Forward_Lateral
10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Pettine knows Dowtin from the NYJ last season. He's only 24. 6'2 226lbs.

Forward_Lateral
10-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Smith is 6'1, 205lbs. Looks like an undrafted FA.

DesertFox24
10-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I am intrigued by the corner anyone have any information. I could not find him on nfl draft scout there is another guy who is not him.

EDS
10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
after few weeks of learning the playbook , will Dixon will be our qb ?

You heard it here first - no.

justasportsfan
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
You heard it here first - no.
Seems like Marrone likes black qb's lately. Tuel like Kolb will be gone.

Homegrown
10-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Ty Powell ??... I loved him on Extreme Makeover/Home Edition

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2013, 07:47 PM
How is 28 year old Dennis Dixon still practice squad eligible?

Don't Panic
10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
How is 28 year old Dennis Dixon still practice squad eligible?

I think it's based on years in the league.

GvilleBills
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I am intrigued by the corner anyone have any information. I could not find him on nfl draft scout there is another guy who is not him.
IIRC, he's only been a CB for last 2 years. Converted WR, with nice physical tools. Seemed to be a textbook PS guy, Idk if he's active roster ready.

The Jokeman
10-08-2013, 08:18 PM
CB Brandon Smith and LB Ty Powell added to 53 man roster.

LB Marcus Dotwin, CB Johnny Adams Released.

QB Dennis Dixon added to Practice Squad.

Per V-text

-Bill

Powell's a tweener DE/OLB. It makes sense to bring him in as think he could perform more than Dowtin could overall and helps offset the loss of Alex Carrington. In terms of the shuffling of CB. I can't say Smith is better than Adams but on the surface he might be as he does have an NFL Int when with the Packers. For those that looking for some scouting reports here's one on Powell:

Having played defensive end, linebacker and safety for Harding, scouts knew Powell was versatile and he certainly appeared to be quite athletic. He demonstrated just how athletic at the combine, when he ranked among the most explosive in his position group in the vertical jump (37") and three-cone drill (6.98-seconds). The athleticism shows up on tape, as Harding has an explosive burst off the snap, as well as impressive change of direction. These traits helped him rack up 12 tackles for loss, including 8.5 sacks and block a school-record four kicks in 2012. Powell could hear his name called as early as the late third round. No Harding player has been selected in the draft since the Denver Broncos selected defensive back Bruce Baldwin in the fifth round 30 years ago from http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/22083960/diamonds-in-the-rough-2013-can-matt-scott-follow-russell-wilsons-lead

and for Brandon Smith:

Tall at 6 feet 1 inches. Muscular at 204 pounds. Consistently has run 40 yards between 4.37 to 4.41 seconds. Owns a 40-inch vertical jump.

He's everything every National Football League team wants playing cornerback and covering the game's gifted giants at wide receiver.

Position coach Joe Whitt said Smith is talented enough to make it in the NFL. Now he must prove himself worthy.

From Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-brandon-smith-impresses-with-switch-from-wr-to-db-b9970733z1-218781181.html#ixzz2hBREbNTB

The Jokeman
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Did Marrone make the call or our GM Doug Whaley make the call on Dixon?

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Marrone likes qb's with big wangs.

jimmifli
10-08-2013, 08:46 PM
WELL IF THE DUMBASSES IN THE FRONT OFFICE HAD SIGNED EVERY OVER-PRICED FREE AGENT 'NAME' PLAYER THAT WE ALL KNOW DURING THE OFF-SEASON WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE MAKING THESE MOVES AFTER A DOZEN-OR-SO PIDDLY LITTLE INJURIES!!!

LET'S GO RALPH WALLETS LET'S GO!

Beebe's Kid
10-08-2013, 10:58 PM
You mad, bro?

I don't think I have seen that argument articulated here at all. What I have seen is that if there were some NFL level guys that could play when called on, the Bills would have been better off than having guys like Rodgers out there getting smoked. The argument was not every high priced guy, or even just guys that we have heard of. It would be guys that were midlevel signings that would keep the Bills competitive when the inevitable injury bug hit.

Beebe's Kid
10-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Marrone likes qb's with big wangs.

Why is this even an issue? Seriously. I know, I know...people should be able to say stupid things without some freaking hippie pointing out that their racism is showing. I am betting 'hippie' was probably a little weak, in this case it will likely be '******' or '******' or some equally offensive slur that rolls off of the fingers without a second thought.

RedEyE
10-09-2013, 06:21 AM
I think some of you are looking at this the wrong way.

The way I see it is that the Bills are not at all happy with the skill level of depth on the team. Rather than sitting on the hands and wait until the off season (like most teams do), the Bills are in this perpetual mode of evaluating talent.

I don't have a problem with this. I see it as a good thing. They're not just concerned about the top/mid tier players. They're filling in the depth with what is best available to them on the open market.

Its actually smart football and I can guarantee they might find an occasional diamond in the rough while shuffling through the mix.

This shows me the Bills are serious about winning and even if they are beaten on Sundays, they aren't going to be out worked off the field. That type of work ethic will eventually pay off on the field.

kishoph
10-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Powell's a tweener DE/OLB. It makes sense to bring him in as think he could perform more than Dowtin could overall and helps offset the loss of Alex Carrington. In terms of the shuffling of CB. I can't say Smith is better than Adams but on the surface he might be as he does have an NFL Int when with the Packers. For those that looking for some scouting reports here's one on Powell:

from http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/22083960/diamonds-in-the-rough-2013-can-matt-scott-follow-russell-wilsons-lead

and for Brandon Smith:

From Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-brandon-smith-impresses-with-switch-from-wr-to-db-b9970733z1-218781181.html#ixzz2hBREbNTB

I think Powell could be a fit in Pettine's defense, he's a quick versatile player that has played on the line, LB and even some safety (maybe he can be another Manny Lawson). If Smith can learn the position, it's a plus to have a big fast corner.

YardRat
10-09-2013, 06:59 AM
You mad, bro?

I don't think I have seen that argument articulated here at all. What I have seen is that if there were some NFL level guys that could play when called on, the Bills would have been better off than having guys like Rodgers out there getting smoked. The argument was not every high priced guy, or even just guys that we have heard of. It would be guys that were midlevel signings that would keep the Bills competitive when the inevitable injury bug hit.

No, just humored by the incessant *****ing by some, regardless of what effort the new front office and coaching staff put forth.

For some reason, there are individuals that forget, or choose to overlook, that talent evaluation and acquisition is hit and miss for every team, and every team makes the same moves that the Bills do. Other's flaws or errors are missed or overlooked while just about every move this team makes is criticized if it doesn't provide instantaneous results.

Some neglect to recognize that building a competitive and winning team is a process that takes time, and effort.

BertSquirtgum
10-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Why is this even an issue? Seriously. I know, I know...people should be able to say stupid things without some freaking hippie pointing out that their racism is showing. I am betting 'hippie' was probably a little weak, in this case it will likely be '******' or '******' or some equally offensive slur that rolls off of the fingers without a second thought.

Get over yourself. This is an online message board.

DraftBoy
10-09-2013, 07:11 AM
I like the Powell pickup, I thought he got overrated in April based on workout numbers compared to his tape at Harding, but he can rush the passer. Be interesting to see if he can stick for more than a week or two.

TedMock
10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I like the Powell pickup, I thought he got overrated in April based on workout numbers compared to his tape at Harding, but he can rush the passer. Be interesting to see if he can stick for more than a week or two.

Powell intrigues me. Obviously a freak athlete, but needs work. I read somewhere that, included in his overall great combine performance, he ran the fastest 3-cone of all LB's. Good start if they want to groom him into a pass rusher.