X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Miller
    • Dec 2008

Coaching

I can't help but be concerned that we will fail to replace Marrone with Pettine once Pettine receives head coaching offers down the road. It's a cut throat business in the NFL and hopefully if the Bills continue to show improvement on the defensive side our front office will realize that Pettine has a higher ceiling and should lead the charge. I'm all for rooting for the "good guys" and treating people with respect in the real world but when it comes to pro sports I just want to win period.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Coaching

They are not going to boot Marrone in favor of Pettine if he gets an offer. The only way Pettine succeeds Marrone is if Marrone quits or fails miserably, and certainly none of us want to see the latter.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
      • Apr 2013

But, we can't brake the three year coaching cycle we have going here. Obviously, the problems is the guy hiring the coaches. How the hell could they possible do worse then Jauron or Gailey? Well....

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        They are not going to boot Marrone in favor of Pettine if he gets an offer. The only way Pettine succeeds Marrone is if Marrone quits or fails miserably, and certainly none of us want to see the latter.
        I agree. Our best hope is Marrone has the ship righted & someone like Henderson learns the defense well enough to take over as DC from Pettine when he becomes a HC.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i share the OP's concern. he's turning last year's crap into a very servicable unit. I hope the assistants pettine brought in are learning quite a bit because you know Russ and Co won't dare upset their 3rd or 4th rebuild.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mark Miller View Post
            I can't help but be concerned that we will fail to replace Marrone with Pettine once Pettine receives head coaching offers down the road. It's a cut throat business in the NFL and hopefully if the Bills continue to show improvement on the defensive side our front office will realize that Pettine has a higher ceiling and should lead the charge. I'm all for rooting for the "good guys" and treating people with respect in the real world but when it comes to pro sports I just want to win period.
            What does this even mean?

Is it now the consensus that Marrone is a bad coach? Already?

In my view the team is much more competitive under Marrone.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

This is Marrone first year. He's got this team playing better than the last few coaches.

This is Pettines first year as a DC. Even if the D gets better, he needs to prove he can consistently make the D top notch for more than just one year.
              Maybe Pettine will be HC material down the road but lets not forget Greg Williams was once a top notch DC too but not meant to be a HC.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

marrone is employing an OC who has been fairly unimaginative. i get that he's trying to break in EJ slowly, but they don't have the run blocking down. most runs are for like 2 yards. they get a couple big ones here and there. if they were better on on, the bills are a better team.

Pettine is running the scheme used in NYJ. he's doing it with less talent. where the O has gotten tools to get better, the D got weaker from injuries. the only real addition was lawson and kiko.

the o has a new 1st round qb, two 1000 rushers, a WR who has had 3 straight years of 1000, a reliable TE who is a big target, a 2nd round WR and more in the arsenal.

Marrone needs more time to prove himself this year, but if he has random challenges, questionable play calls, the offense keeps going sideways and asking the d to bail them out, he either needs to get rid of hackett or he needs to go himself.

maybe pettine is fine where he is. but i'd hope that we could keep him for a few years.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mark Miller View Post
                  I dont get your post at all. If Pettine begins receiving head coaching offers down the road, who knows if Marrone will even be the coach then, or what kind of shape our team will be in. If Pettine is that hot of a commodity, and Marrone is sucking, it sure could be an option to promote Pettine and give Marrone the boot...but what if Marrone has some success in the next couple years? Its just too early on to worry about this.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    This is Marrone first year. He's got this team playing better than the last few coaches.

This is Pettines first year as a DC. Even if the D gets better, he needs to prove he can consistently make the D top notch for more than just one year.
                    Maybe Pettine will be HC material down the road but lets not forget Greg Williams was once a top notch DC too but not meant to be a HC.
                    Yeah, I think we will have Pettine at least a few years before he gets his shot as a HC, but I think it will come in time.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

I agree that Hackett is a huge questionmark. But it takes time to put things together especially a no huddle. It took Jim Kelly and company more than 2 years to get it right even with a better supporting cast than what we have now.

We had talent on the defense more than what people think.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        I agree that Hackett is a huge questionmark. But it takes time to put things together especially a no huddle. It took Jim Kelly and company more than 2 years to get it right even with a better supporting cast than what we have now.

We had talent on the defense more than what people think.
                        And who knows what Hackett called VS what EJ delivered. Hackett may have wanted EJ to get the ball downfield more but EJ checked down instead?

I think this game will show us something about Hackett as a playcaller.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

hot coordinators get crazy offers from desperate teams. we tooka .500 college coach because of upside. what do people think a proven DC who knows how to work with little talent and deal with injuries is going to be viewed?

not outside the scope to think a team asks about him at year end.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Wow if this is what you're worried about 5 games into a new coaches tenure you must be OCD.

If a year or 2 if we're winning we won't want to lose Marrone and if we're losing Pettine will be one of many candidates to replace him. In the meantime, let's give Marrone a fair chance to grow into this job shall we?

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

it's not about losing pettine this week or next week, but it's crazy to not think that pettine will be asked for an interview if the defense remains as good as its been.

the bills should be having conversations to explore what pettine's goals are and how you want to keep him. Good company's do this all the time. a good worker who has a lot of potential might not be able to get promoted as fast, but what other things does he need to be kept. does he need to know he's next up? does he need a better payout?

that's what russ and littman don't get. they just think they can have these changes to assuage fans, but there should be a culture of retaining the best talent in the sport and on the sidelines.

Comment

Working...
                              X