PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

Mark Miller
10-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I can't help but be concerned that we will fail to replace Marrone with Pettine once Pettine receives head coaching offers down the road. It's a cut throat business in the NFL and hopefully if the Bills continue to show improvement on the defensive side our front office will realize that Pettine has a higher ceiling and should lead the charge. I'm all for rooting for the "good guys" and treating people with respect in the real world but when it comes to pro sports I just want to win period.

YardRat
10-09-2013, 07:21 PM
They are not going to boot Marrone in favor of Pettine if he gets an offer. The only way Pettine succeeds Marrone is if Marrone quits or fails miserably, and certainly none of us want to see the latter.

sudzy
10-09-2013, 07:21 PM
But, we can't brake the three year coaching cycle we have going here. Obviously, the problems is the guy hiring the coaches. How the hell could they possible do worse then Jauron or Gailey? Well....

better days
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
They are not going to boot Marrone in favor of Pettine if he gets an offer. The only way Pettine succeeds Marrone is if Marrone quits or fails miserably, and certainly none of us want to see the latter.

I agree. Our best hope is Marrone has the ship righted & someone like Henderson learns the defense well enough to take over as DC from Pettine when he becomes a HC.

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
i share the OP's concern. he's turning last year's crap into a very servicable unit. I hope the assistants pettine brought in are learning quite a bit because you know Russ and Co won't dare upset their 3rd or 4th rebuild.

THATHURMANATOR
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I can't help but be concerned that we will fail to replace Marrone with Pettine once Pettine receives head coaching offers down the road. It's a cut throat business in the NFL and hopefully if the Bills continue to show improvement on the defensive side our front office will realize that Pettine has a higher ceiling and should lead the charge. I'm all for rooting for the "good guys" and treating people with respect in the real world but when it comes to pro sports I just want to win period.

What does this even mean?

Is it now the consensus that Marrone is a bad coach? Already?

In my view the team is much more competitive under Marrone.

justasportsfan
10-10-2013, 10:23 AM
This is Marrone first year. He's got this team playing better than the last few coaches.

This is Pettines first year as a DC. Even if the D gets better, he needs to prove he can consistently make the D top notch for more than just one year.
Maybe Pettine will be HC material down the road but lets not forget Greg Williams was once a top notch DC too but not meant to be a HC.

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
marrone is employing an OC who has been fairly unimaginative. i get that he's trying to break in EJ slowly, but they don't have the run blocking down. most runs are for like 2 yards. they get a couple big ones here and there. if they were better on on, the bills are a better team.

Pettine is running the scheme used in NYJ. he's doing it with less talent. where the O has gotten tools to get better, the D got weaker from injuries. the only real addition was lawson and kiko.

the o has a new 1st round qb, two 1000 rushers, a WR who has had 3 straight years of 1000, a reliable TE who is a big target, a 2nd round WR and more in the arsenal.

Marrone needs more time to prove himself this year, but if he has random challenges, questionable play calls, the offense keeps going sideways and asking the d to bail them out, he either needs to get rid of hackett or he needs to go himself.

maybe pettine is fine where he is. but i'd hope that we could keep him for a few years.

Pinkerton Security
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM

I dont get your post at all. If Pettine begins receiving head coaching offers down the road, who knows if Marrone will even be the coach then, or what kind of shape our team will be in. If Pettine is that hot of a commodity, and Marrone is sucking, it sure could be an option to promote Pettine and give Marrone the boot...but what if Marrone has some success in the next couple years? Its just too early on to worry about this.

better days
10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
This is Marrone first year. He's got this team playing better than the last few coaches.

This is Pettines first year as a DC. Even if the D gets better, he needs to prove he can consistently make the D top notch for more than just one year.
Maybe Pettine will be HC material down the road but lets not forget Greg Williams was once a top notch DC too but not meant to be a HC.

Yeah, I think we will have Pettine at least a few years before he gets his shot as a HC, but I think it will come in time.

justasportsfan
10-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree that Hackett is a huge questionmark. But it takes time to put things together especially a no huddle. It took Jim Kelly and company more than 2 years to get it right even with a better supporting cast than what we have now.

We had talent on the defense more than what people think.

better days
10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I agree that Hackett is a huge questionmark. But it takes time to put things together especially a no huddle. It took Jim Kelly and company more than 2 years to get it right even with a better supporting cast than what we have now.

We had talent on the defense more than what people think.

And who knows what Hackett called VS what EJ delivered. Hackett may have wanted EJ to get the ball downfield more but EJ checked down instead?

I think this game will show us something about Hackett as a playcaller.

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 11:18 AM
hot coordinators get crazy offers from desperate teams. we tooka .500 college coach because of upside. what do people think a proven DC who knows how to work with little talent and deal with injuries is going to be viewed?

not outside the scope to think a team asks about him at year end.

Bill Cody
10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Wow if this is what you're worried about 5 games into a new coaches tenure you must be OCD.

If a year or 2 if we're winning we won't want to lose Marrone and if we're losing Pettine will be one of many candidates to replace him. In the meantime, let's give Marrone a fair chance to grow into this job shall we?

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 11:37 AM
it's not about losing pettine this week or next week, but it's crazy to not think that pettine will be asked for an interview if the defense remains as good as its been.

the bills should be having conversations to explore what pettine's goals are and how you want to keep him. Good company's do this all the time. a good worker who has a lot of potential might not be able to get promoted as fast, but what other things does he need to be kept. does he need to know he's next up? does he need a better payout?

that's what russ and littman don't get. they just think they can have these changes to assuage fans, but there should be a culture of retaining the best talent in the sport and on the sidelines.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Pettine's unit is average in most categories. Now, obviously some of that has to do with injuries, some of it has to do with the FO screwing him out of his best DB, and some of it has to do with the offense hanging him out to dry, but I wouldn't worry that Pettine is going to be poached just yet.

Bill Cody
10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
some of it has to do with the FO screwing him out of his best DB

by DB you mean douche bag right?

justasportsfan
10-10-2013, 02:01 PM
some of it has to do with the FO screwing him out of his best DB,

They tagged him to bring him back . Not their fault he has a foot problem.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 02:03 PM
by DB you mean douche bag right?

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/1801096-badum_tish_super.jpg

PTI
10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
If the Bills are 3-13 or 4-12 they better fire Marrone

HAMMER
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
PTI, won't happen, they will give him at least two years.

better days
10-10-2013, 03:07 PM

That is what I have been saying. But I think the Bills will still win at least 6 games even with all the injuries.

Bangarang
10-10-2013, 03:26 PM

There's no way this team only wins 1 or 2 more games.

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 03:31 PM
if injuries keep adding up, it could really easily happen. if we lose both backs, and EJ isn't back?

yeah, it'll get worse. a lot worse.

it would be amazing in the even the bills are a top 5 pick, if the teams ahead of them go QB first and we get clowney. Kiko and Clowney would make the bills really good, really fast.

PTI
10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
if injuries keep adding up, it could really easily happen. if we lose both backs, and EJ isn't back?

yeah, it'll get worse. a lot worse.

it would be amazing in the even the bills are a top 5 pick, if the teams ahead of them go QB first and we get clowney. Kiko and Clowney would make the bills really good, really fast.

If they are that bad, they could get Clowney, and even risk trading down a spot or two as well to a QB starved team. I would want to stand pat and take CLowney at that point though then.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM

We are starting a practice squad QB for god's sakes. We might not be favored in any game until Jax.

Beebe's Kid
10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
We are starting a practice squad QB for god's sakes. We might not be favored in any game until Jax.
Dude, didn't you see his YouTube video? Didn't you know that the Bengals' DC said that he respects his ability? This isn't your average practice squad QB...he through a TD against the Steelers!!

Pettine isn't going anywhere this quick...let's put this in perspective.

A team finishes with a bad record, so they fire their head coach...then to stir things up they bring in Buffalo's DC? What? Could you imagine if we fired Marrone and brought in the Raiders' DC? I know that we think the defense is playing better, but the fans have a warped perspective about what is happening here. The Bills are not that good, and to think that our coordinators are where other teams will be HC shopping is nearly delusional.

The Bills won't fire Marrone if the the Bills lose out. He is their guy, and implementing systems and all of that. It is the beginning of our tri-annual rebuild. Hell...maybe they'll give him an extension after the next win he picks up.

justasportsfan
10-10-2013, 03:48 PM

I'm sure we're not going to win a lot of games this way but we beat the ravens with a qb who threw for 167 yards and 1 td 2 it's. Surely Lewis can manage to get those nos. He's done it before against what was the best D in the NFl at that time while playing for a crappy Browns.

If we can run well and get great defensive plays with the return of Byrd , Gilmore etc. we can win more than 2 games.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm sure we're not going to win a lot of games this way but we beat the ravens with a qb who threw for 167 yards and 1 td 2 it's. Surely Lewis can manage to get those nos. He's done it before against what was the best D in the NFl at that time while playing for a crappy Browns.

If we can run well and get great defensive plays with the return of Byrd , Gilmore etc. we can win more than 2 games.

We beat the Ravens because we forced five turnovers. Sure, if we are picking off Dalton and Brees every 10 dropbacks then Lewis can steal a game.

better days
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
We beat the Ravens because we forced five turnovers. Sure, if we are picking off Dalton and Brees every 10 dropbacks then Lewis can steal a game.

Dalton has not played all that well this year & the Browns beat the Bengals with a PS QB a few games ago.