PDA

View Full Version : This is the month where Spiller needs to earn his next contract

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 11:34 AM
With EJ Manuel's injury, we are down to starting a practice squad QB against 3 top 10 defenses and a division rival. I think this monthlong stretch will really determine Spiller's value to this franchise, and should be given serious consideration when he becomes a free agent. He's a top 10 pick in his prime, it's time for him to take over a few games and be the centerpiece of the offense. I don't want to hear excuses about stacked boxes. If you are going to be considered an elite halfback in this league, you have to be successful even when they plan to stop you.

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 11:53 AM
agreed. i just wish that so many stops didn't come 1yard short of the line of scrimmage because it's hard to fault a back running down hill. it's not like he's dancing back there. Fred is doing somewhat better, but also getting hit immediately.

better days
10-10-2013, 12:04 PM
IMO, Spiller has already earned his next contract.

Mr. Miyagi
10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
The guy needs to stop running into the pile of people and learn to find a hole. If nothing going then bounce outside.

Just hate to see him getting stuffed all day without trying something else.

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2013, 12:22 PM
He'd be a lot more effective if this coaching regime knew what a flucking screen pass was.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 12:25 PM

What kind of contract? While he's certainly a great teammate and an asset, he hasn't looked at all like an elite player this year. I want to see if he's a guy we can build a team around or just a complimentary piece, and this month will go along way to determining that IMO.

elltrain22
10-10-2013, 12:33 PM

100% agree!! He's a touchdown threat everytime he touches the ball. He will pick it up soon. He's too talented not too.

Pinkerton Security
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
What kind of contract? While he's certainly a great teammate and an asset, he hasn't looked at all like an elite player this year. I want to see if he's a guy we can build a team around or just a complimentary piece, and this month will go along way to determining that IMO.

I think he meant he looked elite last year - this year is def another story though he hasnt been healthy as of late. That one TD against the Browns showed exactly what he can do, he just hasnt made those plays consistently this year at all.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I think he meant he looked elite last year - this year is def another story though he hasnt been healthy as of late. That one TD against the Browns showed exactly what he can do, he just hasnt made those plays consistently this year at all.

That's my point. His TD against the Browns is his only TD this year. He looked elite in Gailey's offense, but has been utterly average in this one. The league is littered with halfbacks who look amazing for a year when things break right and then fall back into obscurity (remember Steve Slaton? Olandis Gary? Beanie Wells?)

Put the offense on his shoulders. If he can't handle it, then I don't think he's worth the megabucks.

OLDSRIP
10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
For whatever reason he is off to a slow start. I hope he head is clear from all the family stuff he just went through.
If it is then its up to the coaching staff to use him correctly. The Bills need him to play big.

Buffalogic
10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
If pretty much any other team had Spiller his production would be better. If we let him go to another team it will be Lynch all over again, but worse.

YardRat
10-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Oh, this thread is going to be really interesting to revisit in a month, and after...

IlluminatusUIUC
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Oh, this thread is going to be really interesting to revisit in a month, and after...

So revisit in in a month. If Spiller has 500 yards and 4 TDs and we steal two wins from this group, we'll be in great shape. If he continues at his current pace for 250 yards and 1 TD and we're sitting at 2-7 all but eliminated from the playoffs...

SpikedLemonade
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Bull****!

trapezeus
10-10-2013, 03:37 PM
let's not forget in the wsh pres-sesaon game he came up holding his knee and then was seemingly ok, but played very little. he's been looking worse for wear ever since. hopefully it's not lingering from that.

coastal
10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I'd see if CJ can spell "contract" before I offered him one.

YardRat
10-10-2013, 04:37 PM
So revisit in in a month. If Spiller has 500 yards and 4 TDs and we steal two wins from this group, we'll be in great shape. If he continues at his current pace for 250 yards and 1 TD and we're sitting at 2-7 all but eliminated from the playoffs...

Thanks for including specifics on what kind of production would equate to earning his next contract.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd see if CJ can spell "contract" before I offered him one.

Well, realistically, he only needs to spell "CJ".

better days
10-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Bull****!

That is what you post MOST of the time. Bull****

SpikedLemonade
10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
That is what you post MOST of the time. Bull****

He had one good year and you would give him a big contract?

Are you paying him on potential?

Friggin' homer.

better days
10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
He had one good year and you would give him a big contract?

Are you paying him on potential?

Friggin' homer.

NO, I am paying him on past production.

He will produce again, I have NO doubt about that.

RedEyE
10-11-2013, 06:37 AM
Gailey knew how to use Spiller but just didn't use him enough.

It is so obvious to me how college game minded Hackett is when he tries to force Spiller on an outside run, or inject the read-option at 3rd and short. This is the NFL Hackett. You can't run away from defenses at this level of football.

DBrown77
10-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Have we played a defense that was not top 10 this year?

TacklingDummy
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Im not worried about CJ leaving.
This is a passing league now.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2013, 02:06 PM

A month later, and he had 232 all purpose yards in 3 games with 0 TDs. Yadda yadda busted ankle. I like the guy a lot, but he is so damned inconsistent.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Actually this is the time to offer him a contract, if Whaley does things the Steelers way.

There is no denying that Spiller has talent and has proved to be successful. He's NOT, however, an every down back in my opinion, so that value will be a key point in his next contract. I'm sure the Analytics dept will help, but this is the time to give him a contract. So many young Bills players are pointing up next year.

DraftBoy
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
A month later, and he had 232 all purpose yards in 3 games with 0 TDs. Yadda yadda busted ankle. I like the guy a lot, but he is so damned inconsistent.

To be fair in his last game alone he accounted for 155 of those 232 yards. You can yadda, yadda, yadda it but he was clearly hurt. Let's see what November brings.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Anyone who thinks we SHOULDNT extend Spiller is a moron.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
To be fair in his last game alone he accounted for 155 of those 232 yards. You can yadda, yadda, yadda it but he was clearly hurt. Let's see what November brings.

That's the point. He hasn't broken 100 all purpose yards since week 2. He will look pedestrian for weeks and then explode.

Anyone who thinks we SHOULDNT extend Spiller is a moron.

A lot of people were claiming on Bills boards that he was the second best halfback in the league last year. If we're accepting that claim, that would put CJ's next deal in the 10 million per range. Are you willing to toss a $50-60 million deal at him?

I question whether any team can build an offense around a franchise halfback any more, but doubly so around a guy who gets held to 3 Y/C in roughly a quarter of his games.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2013, 03:00 PM
That's the point. He hasn't broken 100 all purpose yards since week 2. He will look pedestrian for weeks and then explode.

A lot of people were claiming on Bills boards that he was the second best halfback in the league last year. If we're accepting that claim, that would put CJ's next deal in the 10 million per range. Are you willing to toss a $50-60 million deal at him?

I question whether any team can build an offense around a franchise halfback any more, but doubly so around a guy who gets held to 3 Y/C in roughly a quarter of his games.

He has shown me he can be a legitimate game changer and can take over football games, so yes I'd spend 50 mill on him.

Mr. Pink
11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Im not worried about CJ leaving.
This is a passing league now.

RBs are a dime a dozen in a league driven by QBs.

He stays, he goes, who cares.

It's more important to have a goal line back than any other kind of back in this league now...and that's something Spiller will never be.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2013, 03:08 PM
RBs are a dime a dozen in a league driven by QBs.

He stays, he goes, who cares.

It's more important to have a goal line back than any other kind of back in this league now...and that's something Spiller will never be.

And goal line backs arent a dime a dozen? get any large strong man and POOF you have a goal line back. Give me a break, you make no sense

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2013, 03:10 PM
And goal line backs arent a dime a dozen? get any large strong man and POOF you have a goal line back. Give me a break, you make no sense

Of course they are a dime a dozen, that's why you pay dimes for them. Not $50 million.

Spiller is a great committee back, but you don't drop big coin on committee backs.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Of course they are a dime a dozen, that's why you pay dimes for them. Not $50 million.

Spiller is a great committee back, but you don't drop big coin on committee backs.

so you're implying that Spiller is a goal line back? Because I said I'd pay 50 mill for Spiller, not a goal line back.

What im worried about is us getting rid of our best playmaker (when healthy - you can certainly make an argument that he isnt healthy enough), but his game changing skill and ability to take over games is undeniable.

Mr. Pink
11-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Washington has Alfred Morris. Ran for 1600 yards last year. On pace for 1300 more yards this year. What happened in goal line situations yesterday? Morris came out. Darrel Young came in and ran for 3 TDs on 5 carries.

Chris Johnson ran all over the Rams yesterday. Goal line situation? Enter Shonn Greene TD.

Goal line backs are dime a dozen. You get a strong bruising guy for short yardage situations. You can find journeymen running backs all over the NFL who can and do do it.

This team could operate and would operate the same without CJ on it with Fred Jackson taking the majority of the carries, Choice spelling him on occasion and then going out and getting someone like...Peyton Hillis - just to use an example...to care in short yardage situations.

And now instead of paying CJ 8-10 per season, you're paying around 1 per season and you have 7-9 to spend elsewhere.

And to further clarify...ALL running backs, not named Adrian Peterson, are dime a dozen. Peterson is a once a generation type of player and what good does that really do for the Vikings?

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Washington has Alfred Morris. Ran for 1600 yards last year. On pace for 1300 more yards this year. What happened in goal line situations yesterday? Morris came out. Darrel Young came in and ran for 3 TDs on 5 carries.

Chris Johnson ran all over the Rams yesterday. Goal line situation? Enter Shonn Greene TD.

Goal line backs are dime a dozen. You get a strong bruising guy for short yardage situations. You can find journeymen running backs all over the NFL who can and do do it.

This team could operate and would operate the same without CJ on it with Fred Jackson taking the majority of the carries, Choice spelling him on occasion and then going out and getting someone like...Peyton Hillis - just to use an example...to care in short yardage situations.

And now instead of paying CJ 8-10 per season, you're paying around 1 per season and you have 7-9 to spend elsewhere.

Ok, thats fine that you think that but I dont agree at all. Alfred Morris is a very good RB. So is Chris Johnson. They are the ones who got them down to the goal line to begin with, are they not? So CJ gets us down to the goal line and then we bring in some big strong man that we pay next to nothing to punch it in? Fine with me.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Ok, thats fine that you think that but I dont agree at all. Alfred Morris is a very good RB. So is Chris Johnson. They are the ones who got them down to the goal line to begin with, are they not? So CJ gets us down to the goal line and then we bring in some big strong man that we pay next to nothing to punch it in? Fine with me.

Chris Johnson actually got $10 million per before the 2011 season. Since then, Tennessee has gone 19-21 and barely cracked the Top 20 in offense once.

Alfred Morris, while excellent, is a 6th round rookie on a bargain bin contract, and I should scarcely need to recap the history of Shanahan halfbacks.

Even Peterson, a guy who's making a legit claim to being the best of all time, couldn't carry his team to anything without a HOF QB under center.

It's not a halfback league.

DraftBoy
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM

I get that, I just think its a bit of an unfair one because we clearly know he wasn't 100% and now with time off he certainly looks like a dynamic back. If in 4 weeks he's still sitting at less than 100 AP yards a game your point has more relevance (imo).

DraftBoy
11-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Chris Johnson actually got $10 million per before the 2011 season. Since then, Tennessee has gone 19-21 and barely cracked the Top 20 in offense once.

Alfred Morris, while excellent, is a 6th round rookie on a bargain bin contract, and I should scarcely need to recap the history of Shanahan halfbacks.

Even Peterson, a guy who's making a legit claim to being the best of all time, couldn't carry his team to anything without a HOF QB under center.

It's not a halfback league.

Titans have large issues at QB and WR with Locker and Britt. CJ2K had a bad last year but he's on pace for a 1,000 yards this year and just ripped off 150 and 2 TD's v. Rams on Sunday (first 100+ and rushing TD's of the season).

paladin warrior
11-04-2013, 05:56 PM
The guy needs to stop running into the pile of people and learn to find a hole. If nothing going then bounce outside.

Just hate to see him getting stuffed all day without trying something else.Yup Need new draft OL or OG for open RAT HOLE For C.J Spiller and fred Jackson

paladin warrior
11-04-2013, 05:59 PM
So How many year left for Fred Jackson contract??

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I get that, I just think its a bit of an unfair one because we clearly know he wasn't 100% and now with time off he certainly looks like a dynamic back. If in 4 weeks he's still sitting at less than 100 AP yards a game your point has more relevance (imo).

Why is it unfair? This is the time when we needed him and he couldn't produce. Whether a guy can stay healthy and produce through injury is a big consideration if you are talking about giving him big money or making him the centerpiece of your team.

Titans have large issues at QB and WR with Locker and Britt. CJ2K had a bad last year but he's on pace for a 1,000 yards this year and just ripped off 150 and 2 TD's v. Rams on Sunday (first 100+ and rushing TD's of the season).

You're making my point. Even when Johnson was dominant, he couldn't carry a team because halfbacks just don't do that anymore. Now that he's just another guy, a fate that befalls halfbacks faster and more frequently than other positions, his contract is a massive albatross.

DraftBoy
11-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Why is it unfair? This is the time when we needed him and he couldn't produce. Whether a guy can stay healthy and produce through injury is a big consideration if you are talking about giving him big money or making him the centerpiece of your team.

Not many players whose game is running and cutting can do much of anything when they have a bad wheel. Spiller gutted it out and still made some plays even though he was a shell of his normal self.

You're making my point. Even when Johnson was dominant, he couldn't carry a team because halfbacks just don't do that anymore. Now that he's just another guy, a fate that befalls halfbacks faster and more frequently than other positions, his contract is a massive albatross.

Umm...yea I think that was established a while ago when the league stopped being RB dominant.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2013, 03:11 PM

11 touches, 34 yards

DraftBoy
11-10-2013, 07:08 PM
11 touches, 34 yards

It was not a good game from, no doubt about it.

Novacane
11-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Is CJ a FA this year?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Is CJ a FA this year?

It's confused on the web. Some sites say he's a free agent in 2015, others in 2016.

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
This staff has done poor job utilizing CJ in space.

i don't expect him back with this franchise when his contract runs out. Both parties will move on, can't see them investing money in a RB when they don't want to pay a FS, a position that is harder to fill by the way.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:25 PM
CJs contract year is 2 years away. He will be a free agent after the 2015 season. So far this year, he should be very happy it isn't a contract year. He runs east to west more than I've ever seen from him in the past.

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Another wasted 1st round pick, when you have lynch and Jackson on the roster.

BillsFever21
11-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't believe in giving huge money to a RB unless it's somebody like AP in his prime. Even with him the Vikings can't be a consistent winner.

I like Spiller but he only has one great season since we drafted him and has shown to get injured easily. He's obviously not an every down RB or he would be 4 years into his career. He isn't a workhorse and shouldn't be paid as such. It's too easy to find reliable RB's in the draft.

By the time his contract is up he will be about 28 years old. Considering durable RB's start breaking down by 30 years old then it would be a huge risk to give him a long-term contract. If it's still two years away then the subject is meaningless at this time. If it's after next year then it's something you need to start thinking about and planning for.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a RB in the middle rounds next season. Freddie isn't getting any younger and it could be someone to compete with and possibly replace Spiller if it came down to it. If we could get Spiller signed with a modest contract then I would do it. If we're talking CJ or AP money then forget about it. It would be more like Darren Sproles type of money. He would be lethal on a team like the Saints that could use him in that type of a role but with better rushing ability along with it.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-19-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm going to re-visit this, because as it stands now we have a championship caliber defense being held back by a horrendous offense. And with 2 games to go, Spiller is the only help coming. If Spiller, as the expectation seems to be, opts out of his final year and tries the FA market then I think these games will loom large in the contract he's offered.

Typ0
12-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I was going to start a thread about this too. It's big. Spiller is healthy and fresh. The potential is there for him to be a big difference maker in the coming nine weeks. Everything we have seen from him indicates he's capable of taking it to the house at any time and he should have a huge burst to throw at defenses right now. I hope he brings it seeing the offense threaten more than the defense and ST would be a welcomed sight.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Literally finished with 8 touches for a net ZERO yards.

CJ seems like a really nice guy, but I hope to god he opts out this year.

Mace
12-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Literally finished with 8 touches for a net ZERO yards.

CJ seems like a really nice guy, but I hope to god he opts out this year.

He'll have a great success someplace else, time to move on. I think the announcer guy had just relayed the Hackett thought they meant to work him back into the offense by using his strengths and that very play they ran him into the line for minus 2. I don't blame Spiller whatever. He was a great player we had no business taking.

Scumbag College
12-21-2014, 08:26 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/c.j.-spiller/

If I'm reading this right, CJ is set to make in the neighborhood of 4.5 million dollars in 2015 if he signs the option on his contract. If I am a GM on any of the other 31 NFL teams, would I sign the guy for any money near that??? I think CJ would be wise to take another 4.5 mil from Buffalo for 2015 and try to get one more big contract next year.

Personally, I'd like to see him back. Unless the Bills hit some sort of QB lottery, they are going to have either a rookie or garbage QB starting in 2015 and need as many RBs as possible to catch 1 yard dumpoffs that might be able to break a long gain.

DynaPaul
12-21-2014, 08:29 PM
He earned himself a new contract alright... I'm thinking vet minimum with escalators.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-22-2014, 12:08 AM
He'll have a great success someplace else, time to move on. I think the announcer guy had just relayed the Hackett thought they meant to work him back into the offense by using his strengths and that very play they ran him into the line for minus 2. I don't blame Spiller whatever. He was a great player we had no business taking.

I don't believe that's true anymore. He had one magical season where everything seemed to catch fire (and even then he was racking up yardage in blowout losses). Yet, somehow in the other four seasons no one has found the mystical rubik's cube solution that will get him consistent yardage?

He's just not that good.

coastal
12-22-2014, 06:51 AM
CJ is thhe perfect back for a FUNCTIONING offense.

in a dysfunctional offense that is doing its best not to drown on a daily basis, he gets lost in the garbage.

move along and focus on solidifying the oline... and find a more appropriate feature back. For those about to scream about Freddy being the feature... he's over 30 and the PERFECT 3rd down back.

i consider cutting CJ this year and looking elsewhere for a back to play the first two downs.

Mace
12-22-2014, 09:25 PM
I don't believe that's true anymore. He had one magical season where everything seemed to catch fire (and even then he was racking up yardage in blowout losses). Yet, somehow in the other four seasons no one has found the mystical rubik's cube solution that will get him consistent yardage?

He's just not that good.

I don't know, maybe you're right. Thing I keep noticing though is that they never do anything with him but run him into the line until he starts going sideways. With a Philadelphia, or a Seattle, or even a KC (where they once made use of the more wee, brittle McCluster), etc....I still think someone will find a good use for him. A few times, under Gailey, they threw him out wide, instant matchup issue, he'd always be open in space, waving his arms and they'd never throw to him.

Next team just won't treat him like an ordinary run into the line guy, like we shouldn't have done.

YardRat
12-23-2014, 05:17 AM
I bet that 9th one would have been a doozy, though, regardless of where he got the ball on the field.

BOBM253
12-23-2014, 09:45 AM
He needs 20+ touches in hopes of breaking one. Otherwise, he's not so good........

WagonCircler
12-23-2014, 09:50 AM
He needs 20+ touches in hopes of breaking one. Otherwise, he's not so good........

Exactly. CJ is Dave Kingman--a guy who would hit towering, awe inspiring home runs. One for each 50 rally killing strikeouts.