Why Wasn't Thad Lewis The Backup QB From The Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Why Wasn't Thad Lewis The Backup QB From The Start?

When EJ Manuel got hurt against the Browns, Jeff Tuel stepped in with 6 reps worth of practice the entire week and zero NFL game experience.

Backup QB's don't get many reps with the starters in practices leading up to game time.

Thad Lewis was on the practice squad, getting all the reps. But why was he on the PS?

Shouldn't Tuel have been on the practice squad instead, considering Lewis is a 4 year veteran and has actually played an entire NFL game?

Regardless of whether or not the quarterback is 2nd string or on the practice squad, they all practice the same offensive system.

Did Coach Marrone intentionally put Lewis on the PS knowing he'd get more time to practice within the system?

6 reps of practice per day doesn't do much for "muscle memory," let alone 6 reps all week.

Who has a better chance of winning games for a stretch of time if your starting QB goes down? The guy who's been practicing the system every day and getting all the reps, or the guy who gets less than 10 reps per week?

Was this a calculated decision by coach Doug Marrone? "If I really have to rely upon my backup QB to start, I want him to have as much experience within the system as possible." I can hear him thinking that. Makes sense. Maybe that's why the practice squad QB is starting this week. Lewis simply has more experience and reps within the system than does Jeff Tuel.

What do practice squad players do all week? Practice.

What do backup quarterbacks do all week? Hold a clip board and throw a few dozen passes if they're lucky.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Why Wasn't Thad Lewis The Backup QB From The Start?

You're overthinking this. Lewis didn't even join the team until late August. That has everything to do with why he was on the practice squad.

Marrone may have thought that Tuel wouldn't last on our practice squad, either, considering that he played well in the preseason. Tuel also knew the playbook. Tuel himself would never have been the backup if Kolb didn't get hurt, which is what started this whole mad scramble in the first place. I don't think they expected Tuel to crap the bed as badly as he did in real-game action last week.

Basically our #1 and #2 quarterbacks are both hurt, and most teams are not entirely prepared for this event. Gotta deal with that on the fly. It's hard to find a decent starting QB, let alone a serviceable #3.

The Bills traded Chris White for Lewis, in case people didn't know or have forgotten. Why? Because Kolb was hurt. This was actually a pretty smart move as a contingency plan against the unproven and green Tuel.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Thad has been spending time with the coaches & technically interviewing for the job mentality.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Pretty simple answer: The Bills wanted to carry only 2 QBs on the active roster once they knew Manuel would be ready to start the season healthy. In order to be on the practice squad a player has to clear waivers. The Bills thought Lewis would clear waivers easier than Tuel. Lewis cleared waivers. Lewis was signed to the practice squad where he was, for all intents & purposes, the Bills 3rd QB, who would be activated if either Manuel or Tuel got hurt. Manuel got hurt, Tuel proved he wasn't ready, Lewis was activated and elevated to starter-but only after the Bills failed in their attempt to sign Josh Freeman. Now Dennis Dixon is the Bills 3rd healthy QB on the practice squad & if Lewis is horrible, Dixon will be starting in a week or 2.
        Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

and if dixon is terrible i may finally get my shot as an nfl qb
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
          X