PDA

View Full Version : Kiko has altered all perceptions of Bills run D.

mixxum
10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I was adjusting my fantasy team as well as looking at the players on my opponents team, I stumbled upon ESPN's fantasy blurb regarding Giovani Bernard. It is as follows.

The workload pendulum swung back to the veteran this past week, as Bernard's ascension to feature-back usage was a bit prematurely predicted. The rookie Tar Heel still outproduced BenJarvus Green-Ellis from an efficiency standpoint in Week 5 (4.7 yards per carry to Green-Ellis' 3.5), but the nearly even share remains a limiting element to Bernard's exciting potential. Thanks to a worthy blend of touches, Bernard makes for a respectable flex option, but a stingy Bills rush defense (just one TD allowed to opposing backs all season) dampens the upside a bit.

I almost fell out of my chair.

Is this real? Is our run D now "stingy"? If so why. Could it be Kiko????

Has the legend himself changed the D? Is he making other players play better. Is the D getting that "Mob" mentality? Is the entire D getting a little crazy?

Maybe this is why Aaron Williams is playing better. He is a little out of control, but better. He has not always looked perfect but is playing with passion. I think Kiko is bringing that swagger to the bills as a rookie. I think that if we continue to build on our D, then we could have one of the best D's in the league.

JoeMama
10-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Kiko's a game changer.

The best thing that's happened to this team in an agonizingly long stretch of time.

I'm excited to see what the ceiling is for this kid. His fast start has made me a full-on believer.

Good things await this team.

feldspar
10-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Mel Kiper on Kiko Alonso through week 5:

2. Kiko Alonso, ILB, Buffalo
Love his production, fiery approach and the number of impact plays he's been able to make. For instance, Alonso is tied for the NFL lead in interceptions (four) but is also leading the Bills in tackles with 44 (he also has a sack). He's one of the best pure athletes (if not the best) of any inside linebacker in the NFL right now. The key with Alonso is that because of his versatility, he never has to come off the field.

He's ranking rookies so far, with only Sheldon Richardson of the Jets ahead of Kiko.

...for what Kiper's opinion is worth, anyway.

Famous Amos
10-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Havent had a game changer on defense in quite some time. He's a guy that makes plays at crucial times, rather than getting sacks in garbage time or meaningless interceptions.

YardRat
10-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Reminds me of a faster, more athletic Jim Haslett. I think d-line deserves quite a bit of credit, and also obviously Pettine, also. It's about damn time we had a real d-coordinator.

Famous Amos
10-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Reminds me of a faster, more athletic Jim Haslett. I think d-line deserves quite a bit of credit, and also obviously Pettine, also. It's about damn time we had a real d-coordinator.

I can't remember which year it was, late 90's or early 2000s, a Wade Phillips defense...held the opposition to negative run yardage. The Ravens game, this year, reminded me of that amazing defense. The Bills this year has the players to be dominant, at least at the front seven. My bro in law keeps telling me Kyle Williams has lost a step but I don't believe him. Dareus appears to have a renewed passion for the game, Mario Williams looks dominant at times and then there's Kiko Alonso, who's making a name for himself with his play on the field. I even like Aaron Williams game this year. Dude looks like he's possessed out there.

edit... the main reason I brought up Wade Phillip's defense here is because we finally have d-coord. that can measure up to Phillips. Pettine seems too good to be true. I have an awful feeling he'll get too big for this city and land a HC job sooner rather than later.

Skooby
10-13-2013, 09:54 AM
There's a good chance that Byrd coming back is going to make Kiko & the rest of the defense even more effective.

better days
10-13-2013, 10:10 AM

The Bills have had some really good LBs going back to the days of Mike Stratton. Hasslett, Biscuit, Speilman. Kiko is already making a name for himself & belongs in that group.

Jeff1220
10-13-2013, 10:27 AM
I love the way Kiko is playing, but the lion's share of the credit for the way this D plays goes to Pettine. Imagine what Kiko's impact might've been if Wanny was still around. It's all Pettine.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Still waiting for the stingy run defense I was promised. Even the ********* law firm is gashing us.

coastal
10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
The Kiko circle jerk is over for today.

JCBills
10-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Tackles don't mean much, but Kiko had 22 on the day.

feldspar
10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
The Kiko circle jerk is over for today.

Kiko had 22 tackles on Sunday...22.

He leads the entire league in tackles. He's had 4 interceptions, a forced fumble, a sack, and a recovered a fumble at the goal-line.

Why demean what he's done? Are you that much of a pud? The guy has played great for anybody, but he's still a rookie.

trapezeus
10-15-2013, 07:36 AM
if the bills season really turns into a nightmare, record wise, the idea the bills could possibly have kiko and clowney makes me think the bills could rocket up as a great defense very quickly.

Pinkerton Security
10-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I was adjusting my fantasy team as well as looking at the players on my opponents team, I stumbled upon ESPN's fantasy blurb regarding Giovani Bernard. It is as follows.

The workload pendulum swung back to the veteran this past week, as Bernard's ascension to feature-back usage was a bit prematurely predicted. The rookie Tar Heel still outproduced BenJarvus Green-Ellis from an efficiency standpoint in Week 5 (4.7 yards per carry to Green-Ellis' 3.5), but the nearly even share remains a limiting element to Bernard's exciting potential. Thanks to a worthy blend of touches, Bernard makes for a respectable flex option, but a stingy Bills rush defense (just one TD allowed to opposing backs all season) dampens the upside a bit.

I almost fell out of my chair.

Is this real? Is our run D now "stingy"? If so why. Could it be Kiko????

Has the legend himself changed the D? Is he making other players play better. Is the D getting that "Mob" mentality? Is the entire D getting a little crazy?

Maybe this is why Aaron Williams is playing better. He is a little out of control, but better. He has not always looked perfect but is playing with passion. I think Kiko is bringing that swagger to the bills as a rookie. I think that if we continue to build on our D, then we could have one of the best D's in the league.

Well if you actually read it, the only reason they gave was that we had only given up 1 rushing TD (before the Cincy game). I do agree that the word "stingy" cant really be used for our defense as we're currently 28th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed.

pmoon6
10-15-2013, 07:45 AM
The Bills have had some really good LBs going back to the days of Mike Stratton. Hasslett, Biscuit, Speilman. Kiko is already making a name for himself & belongs in that group.While too early to put him in a group of great Bills' linebackers, the kid plays lights out.

I also would not put Spielman on that list, even though I love the guy. His best years were in Detroit. He only played a year and a half for us. Add Talley, Conlan, Bryce Paup, Spikes and Fletcher. Funny, Alonzo is the first good backer that we have actually drafted in a long time. We've been too busy drafting corners, running backs and wide receivers high with the occasional DT or OT.

feldspar
10-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Tackles don't mean much, but Kiko had 22 on the day.

If not making tackles means something, then making them sure as hell does.

What are you talking about?

pmoon6
10-15-2013, 07:55 AM

What are you talking about?Too funny. Like you said, I guess tackles only mean something when the linebacker doesn't make them.

Unfortunately for people with his line of thinking, the main job of an inside backer IS to fill the hole AND make tackles. If you can get picks when dropping into coverage or getting sacks on an inside blitz, all the better. Although I would only rarely blitz the MLB because it leaves the short middle open.

JCBills
10-15-2013, 02:34 PM

What are you talking about?

Single statistics like tackles aren't the measuring stick a lot of people think they are, but if I thought it wasn't worth noting I wouldn't have pointed out the 22 tackles happening.

TacklingDummy
10-15-2013, 02:39 PM
The Bills 28th ranked rushing defense. Woohoo.

TacklingDummy
10-15-2013, 03:00 PM
The Bills 28th ranked rushing defense. Woohoo.

Which includes the Ravens game where they only ran the ball 9 times.

WagonCircler
10-15-2013, 03:35 PM
...for what Kiper's opinion is worth, anyway.

Kiper may be an idiot, but in this case, he's backing up his assertions with facts.

Kiko, the legend continues!

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't think he has changed too many perceptions but he is definitely the closest thing we've had to a game changer in a long ass time. If we could get a dominant DE to go along with him, then our D might eventually be good. Also, this D has helped us stay in all six ball games this year. True, we are 2-4 but as far as effort, this team is at least trying. Of course you could make the same argument of the 2010 and 2001 Bills. What needs to happen is this team can't just stagnate. It needs to keep the intensity and actually spend some money to keep the core players and then fill other needs. Right now, I am actually not against drafting a DE or QB in the first, followed by a DE or QB in the second. Its crazy to spend two straight first rounders on a qb? Maybe, but if EJ is just a flash in the pan --and I am afraid he might be just that -- we need a stud who can be the answer.