PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

Oaf
10-13-2013, 03:40 PM
We heard warnings about Crossman's poor units before the season, an antithetical poor hire to Petine's smart hire, and now I hope Marrone is eating his hat.

After a shining punt from Moorman, pushing the returnman back to his 35, these first four guys down just aren't coached up enough to make a tackle.

And what ST coach doesn't instruct their returnmen to let the ball bounce when within the 10? Faircatching around the 5, how much worse can it be to start from the 2 if the punt team is able to make a massively acrobatic play and stop the bounce?

I can't say making these plays wins us the game, but I definitely believe missing them lost us the game, and it comes back to a pretty bad coach. Can't chalk this one up to rookies and inexperience.

BillsFever21
10-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I remember the same articles about how bad his other units were ranked in the past. Our punt coverage is absolutely atrocious and our return game hasn't been very good either. We can't blame Sean Powell on the busted punt coverage to win the game for the Bengals.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I remember the same articles about how bad his other units were ranked in the past. Our punt coverage is absolutely atrocious and our return game hasn't been very good either. We can't blame Sean Powell on the busted punt coverage to win the game for the Bengals.

It would exceptionally mean to blame Powell, seeing as we cut him this week.

Meathead
10-14-2013, 06:31 PM
I can't say making these plays wins us the game, but I definitely believe missing them lost us the game

:huh:

gebobs
10-14-2013, 07:32 PM
:huh:
Don't see the point? I do. Make the tackle on punt coverage in OT does not win the game. Missing it loses the game.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 05:11 AM
We heard warnings about Crossman's poor units before the season, an antithetical poor hire to Petine's smart hire, and now I hope Marrone is eating his hat.

With 4 qbs now taking up roster spots, things might get worse.

YardRat
10-15-2013, 05:16 AM
The coverage was in place as it should have been, the players can't let the return man split two of them and break free...somebody needed to make the tackle.

kishoph
10-15-2013, 05:45 AM
The coverage was in place as it should have been, the players can't let the return man split two of them and break free...somebody needed to make the tackle.

Duke Williams, who was the gunner on the left side getting knocked down from behind certainly helped the return. A non call can change the outcome of a game just as much as calling a penalty in a situation like that.

YardRat
10-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Duke Williams, who was the gunner on the left side getting knocked down from behind certainly helped the return. A non call can change the outcome of a game just as much as calling a penalty in a situation like that.

I agree, but it doesn't change the fact the returner split two of our defenders, both of whom were in excellent position to make a tackle. They had the punt covered, they just didn't make the play.

Saratoga Slim
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I miss Bobby April. Anyone know where he is nowadays?

gebobs
10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I miss Bobby April. Anyone know where he is nowadays?
Raiders

Oaf
10-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Don't see the point? I do. Make the tackle on punt coverage in OT does not win the game. Missing it loses the game.

Thanks. I know Crossman isn't out there himself to make the tackle, but the players need to be coached up to make these plays. I still can't believe McK faircaught a kick at the 6-yardline.

gebobs
10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks. I know Crossman isn't out there himself to make the tackle, but the players need to be coached up to make these plays. I still can't believe McK faircaught a kick at the 6-yardline.
That was a SMH moment. McDumbass strikes again.