PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Is A Fixed Business

BillsImpossible
10-13-2013, 08:07 PM
The NFL was formed in 1920 as a form of, "entertainment," for illegal gambling.

"Just give it to them."

The NFL is legally classified as, "entertainment," not a sport.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rv0wgLLzX10?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yjoMk9f8BtE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/75NlebsLaRQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TM7Br0NN0FM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The only way the NFL can lose on Super Bowl Sunday is if the game is a blowout and people stop watching. The agreement the NFL has with Super Bowl advertisers is that a certain rating must be maintained throughout the Super Bowl to enable a 3-4 million dollar add space. Any less and the NFL is legally obligated to compensate advertisers."

Johnny Bugmenot
10-13-2013, 08:17 PM
As much as I believe this is certainly possible, there is one catch:

A federal law they passed back in 1960 prohibits the scripting or rigging of televised contests and presenting them as legitimate ones. (It was designed because of quite a few game shows that were doing just that.) So if this were to be proven, all of those television networks who are paying the league billions for TV rights are going to find themselves in deep, DEEP doo-doo. (ESPN might be able to get off, since they're cable.)

superbills
10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
In a certain sense, one could say that...but look at some of the recent super bowl victories...The throw by Rothlisberger to Santonio Holmes...the catch by David Tyree on the Eli Manning pass...hell even the Norwood miss in XV...these players aren't actors and this isn't the WWF. Players will make plays and even if there is some "cooking" going on (the owners are money-grubbers after all) the element of sports will always outweigh the refs. Good to great teams can overcome the blown (or fixed) calls. They can overcome injuries and tough schedules. Let's be honest...there were a couple of calls AGAINST Cincy today that were suspect (the personal foul on Burfict comes to mind)...the Bills have to overcome these things. In time, hopefully the players and coaches will mature to the level that games like this will go our way...for now, call it a learning curve.

Ingtar33
10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
and here i left my tinfoil hat at home.

BillsImpossible
10-13-2013, 08:32 PM

A federal law they passed back in 1960 prohibits the scripting or rigging of televised contests and presenting them as legitimate ones. (It was designed because of quite a few game shows that were doing just that.) So if this were to be proven, all of those television networks who are paying the league billions for TV rights are going to find themselves in deep, DEEP doo-doo. (ESPN might be able to get off, since they're cable.)

Everyone is getting paid, so they don't care.

Here is something TOTALLY FREAKING CRAZY.

Fast forward to about 6 minutes 20 seconds in to the video. The puck changes direction on its own, like a ghost hit it. I've had a few beers today, but $..hit tihis is messed up. If a puck can change direction on its own like that, can a football do the same thing?

Holy crap this is nuts. Look at what the puck does at 6:20ish. That defies the laws of physics.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/by8cuiaoCPI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
10-13-2013, 08:41 PM
:rofl:

Homegrown
10-13-2013, 08:44 PM
nah, NFL games aren't fixed ... it's just that the officiating is so piss poor that it seems "the fix is in"...

DraftBoy
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Ah the annual fix thread.

YardRat
10-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, to be fair, there has been some pretty suspect stuff that came out of New England...

imbondz
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
the worst called Superbowl was the Steelers / Seahawks a few years ago. Calls against the Seahawks were horrible the entire game.

BillsImpossible
10-13-2013, 09:33 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eUw9FGCAEIY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crisis
10-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Congrats you're able to use youtube's search successfully.

GingerP
10-14-2013, 06:47 AM
If the fix is in, I want to know what Ralph did to piss off the league so much. I mean, they let Art Modell win a Superbowl before he died.

DynaPaul
10-14-2013, 07:04 AM
If the fix is in, I want to know what Ralph did to piss off the league so much. I mean, they let Art Modell win a Superbowl before he died.

Yeah, you'd think they'd let one of the league founders have just one before he dies.

Famous Amos
10-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I don't think the NFL is fixed but I do think that the league strongly emphasizes offensive success at the expense of defensive game. This comes about through awful called penalties and restrictive contact rules. Offense sells, it promotes fantasy football leagues, the Vegas odds are predicated on points scored by the offense, its what brings in the casual fan.

Make no mistake, the league isn't interest in the die hard fan, the fan that's been following the league for twenty years, the fan that buys season tickets. They already got you. The NFL wants the casual fan with money to spend.

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 07:25 AM

A federal law they passed back in 1960 prohibits the scripting or rigging of televised contests and presenting them as legitimate ones. (It was designed because of quite a few game shows that were doing just that.) So if this were to be proven, all of those television networks who are paying the league billions for TV rights are going to find themselves in deep, DEEP doo-doo. (ESPN might be able to get off, since they're cable.)It's much more subtle. Considering most games turn on three or four plays, all it takes is a call here and a couple of non calls there.

Why do you think Peyton Manning and the Broncos offense are setting and will set records? Because the NFL wants those records broken. If you actually watch the games, the Broncos could pick up 5- 300 lb homeless guys to play O-Line and all they have to do is teach them how to hold. The edict from the league office to the officiating crews is Peyton Manning is not to be touched. I watched the game yesterday and rewound one play to show the old lady. Advanced it in slow motion. The guard grabbed the DT and pulled him away from the hole on one Moreno TD. All I could do was laugh.

I mean the Bills receiver (Goodwin, I think) was ****ing mugged when he got behind the Cincy corner. No flag. 15 yard unsportmanlike when Kyle Wiiliams got in Bernard's face for cheapshotting one of our guys. Now, we were beneficiaries of some chicken**** calls early in the game, but when it really matters, the calls went the other way. The Bills' gunner on the punt team was ****ing tackled from behind on the return that won the game for Cincinnati.

I still watch alot games because the NFL is amusing with all this stuff, so it's not just sour grapes because Buffalo lost. I don't even get pissed off anymore. I still think I get my money's worth buying NFL Ticket and it gives my wife and I a reason to socialize.

Skooby
10-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Yeah, you'd think they'd let one of the league founders have just one before he dies.

Ralph's hoping for many more years of futility based on this.

tampabay25690
10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Ahhhhhh...
Well I have lots of info in this but I don't have the time or place!!!

pmoon6
10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Anybody that thinks NFL games aren't influenced with billion dollar TV contracts and a multi billion dollar gambling industry need to have their head examined. They are influenced for maximum entertainment value and engineering the point spread based on the betting trend for particular games.

But, the dupes can keep on believin'.

Tinfoil hats, indeed.

mjt328
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
As a lifetime football fan (and fan of the small market Buffalo Bills), I'll admit that I don't "want" to believe games are fixed. I want to believe that games are fair.

But it's almost impossible to watch the NFL Playoffs - or virtually any game involving New England - without getting that feeling that something fishy is going on.

YardRat
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
"So, who wins the Super Bowl this year? Buffalo?"
"As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen..."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_%28X-Files%29.jpg

stuckincincy
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Anybody that thinks NFL games aren't influenced with billion dollar TV contracts and a multi billion dollar gambling industry need to have their head examined. They are influenced for maximum entertainment value and engineering the point spread based on the betting trend for particular games.

But, the dupes can keep on believin'.

Tinfoil hats, indeed.

It's not possible that organized crime - pick your flavor or ethnicity - draws the line at not getting their fingers in such a lucrative money source as NFL football. It would make no sense.

Albany,n.y.
10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
"So, who wins the Super Bowl this year? Buffalo?"
"As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen..."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_%28X-Files%29.jpg

He's dead. Unfortunately his replacement came in years ago and is on record as saying "So, who makes the playoffs this year? Buffalo" "As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen..."

Generalissimus Gibby
10-14-2013, 07:42 PM

As has probably already been explained by others, this law is easy to circumvent. For instance, three or four blatant calls or missed calls can decide the outcome of a game, even better if they are subjective calls "was he in or out of bounds, ball placement, was it a cheap shot on the qb's knees or incidental contact. Lets take for example Kansas City, yes Fitz is a **** qb but Tennessee should have won as on one of their td drives the Chief was hit in bounds and legally. In yesterday's Pats v Saints game, Breese called a timeout and nobody saw him doing so. If this happened in New Orleans that call is probably different. Games don't have to be fixed to be rigged, they just have to be strategically called or suffer the odd anomoly. Seriously, since much of the league has an equal dispersion of talent it would be easy to have a close game and then call a subjective penalty that changes the outcome. Scripting sounds like first this happens and then this happens and then this. However, one can mostly let the game be played and then make a few key calls to beat the spread.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Ah the annual fix thread.

I just wish we were good enough that the fix just affected playoff positioning

ServoBillieves
10-14-2013, 07:58 PM
BOSTON STRONG!

BillsImpossible
10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
How ridiculous is it that the NFL still does not employ full time referees? Games are so close in today's game, but the NFL is going cheap on one of the most important aspects of the game. Why?

I think it is fair to say that the NFL's fans should be allowed to vote on who the refs are in the Playoffs and Super Bowl just like they have some say about Pro Bowl selections.

Here's a business idea...Fantasy Football referees. The refs that make the best calls win and go to the playoffs. The refs that blow calls lose and stay home.

better days
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Well, explain Professional Wrestling then.

kishoph
10-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Well, to be fair, there has been some pretty suspect stuff that came out of New England...

They get caught illegally filming other teams and get fined $800,000, while the Saints get reamed because of a "bounty program." Then there's the tuck rule, then when Brady gets injured, all of a sudden you can't touch a QB. Those are just 3 that jump out at me, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of NE getting treated favorably by the league.
The winning TD the other night against the Saints, I guess it's legal for the LT to put the defender in a headlock as long as he's protecting Tom Brady.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image13.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image13.jpg.html)

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 05:37 AM
They get caught illegally filming other teams and get fined $800,000, while the Saints get reamed because of a "bounty program." Then there's the tuck rule, then when Brady gets injured, all of a sudden you can't touch a QB. Those are just 3 that jump out at me, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of NE getting treated favorably by the league.
The winning TD the other night against the Saints, I guess it's legal for the LT to put the defender in a headlock as long as he's protecting Tom Brady.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Image13.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/Image13.jpg.html)

Looks like the ref is about to say "Just give it to 'em."

DraftBoy
10-15-2013, 05:39 AM

It's not a professional sport so that's an easy explanation.

kishoph
10-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Looks like the ref is about to say "Just give it to 'em."

Looks more like he's fixated on Brady's ass

pmoon6
10-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Hmmm. I see a multi billion dollar enterprise. I see game officials that sell insurance in the off season. I say to myself "Who, in that enterprise, is the most easily manipulated and subject to influence". Before the player's salaries skyrocketed, I could pray on disgruntled players and players who got themselves in trouble. Now those players are few and far between. Who do I go after?

The evidence is on the field. Why are some QBs' more protected than others? Why are calls so blatantly inconsistent?

These are questions that are just an irritant to the NFL. An organization that is so egocentric, it makes some player's shenanigans pale in comparison. They know they can do what they want because no matter how many scandals plague the league, we still watch on TV, we still buy hats and we still attend games (Though I will never go to another one)

feldspar
10-15-2013, 06:45 AM
I can't say the NFL is fixed, but I will NEVER say that it isn't; in fact, I have my suspicions all the time. I'd say it is, but what I can't be sure about completely is to what extent and what particular games are compromised always.

Obviously, ALL of the games can't be rigged. There are 256 regular season games alone every year, and there's just no way that the whole deal is rigged. If the fix is in, and I be more surprised if it DIDN'T happen than if it does, then it only happens in select games where shady characters can get to the right people to pull their strings.

If you pay close attention long enough, you'll see things that make you shake your head and say "the fix has GOT to be in." And I've been gambling on football every single week for years, so I always pay particular attention to the point spread, which is what the money is all about. Money makes people do things, in case you didn't notice.

You also have to take into account that every single person involved has a strong interest to sweep all wrongdoings under the carpet.

The World Series was fixed (in 1919 I think). I say it's gotta happen today.

pmoon6
10-15-2013, 06:53 AM
I can't say the NFL is fixed, but I will NEVER say that it isn't; in fact, I have my suspicions all the time. I'd say it is, but what I can't be sure about completely is to what extent and what particular games are compromised always.

Obviously, ALL of the games can't be rigged. There are 256 regular season games alone every year, and there's just no way that the whole deal is rigged. If the fix is in, and I be more surprised if it DIDN'T happen than if it does, then it only happens in select games where shady characters can get to the right people to pull their strings.

If you pay close attention long enough, you'll see things that make you shake your head and say "the fix has GOT to be in." And I've been gambling on football every single week for years, so I always pay particular attention to the point spread, which is what the money is all about. Money makes people do things, in case you didn't notice.

You also have to take into account that every single person involved has a strong interest to sweep all wrongdoings under the carpet.

The World Series was fixed (in 1919 I think). I say it's gotta happen today.The Sox fix is the most famous, but boxing has been fixed for years. Liston took a dump twice against Cassius Clay all the way to Michael Spinks/ Larry Holmes.(That one was a decision). I wasn't around then, but '50's boxing was supposedly totally controlled by the Cosa Nostra. I mean it's perfect. You get a few dumb ****s with brain damage and no money to do what you want. Throw them a few crumbs while you make the big money.

feldspar
10-15-2013, 06:56 AM
I mean the Bills receiver (Goodwin, I think) was ****ing mugged when he got behind the Cincy corner. No flag.

Absolutely. That pissed me off in particular.

15 yard unsportmanlike when Kyle Wiiliams got in Bernard's face for cheapshotting one of our guys.

Yeah, that was BS too. I guess the refs were particularly concerned about how Kyle Williams may have said something that hurt Bernard's feelings.

The Bills' gunner on the punt team was ****ing tackled from behind on the return that won the game for Cincinnati.

I didn't notice that. That sucks, and if it's true that non-call could have been the deciding factor of the game at that point. Thanks for cheering me up.

better days
10-15-2013, 08:03 AM
It's not a professional sport so that's an easy explanation.

It is a contest with a scripted outcome.

Mad Max
10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
No. There is no script. If there were the Bills don't go to 4 straight Super Bowls. NO ONE and I mean no one outside of Buffalo Bills fans wanted to see that.

Are there some bad actors acting independently? Possibly, but it's not institutional.

EDS
10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
If the NFL is rigged, then you can be sure that a team sitting $20 million below the cap is not going to be "allowed" to go to the playoffs. So if you want to see the playoffs, just lobby Ralph to spend enough cash to get them in.

better days
10-15-2013, 09:36 AM
No. There is no script. If there were the Bills don't go to 4 straight Super Bowls. NO ONE and I mean no one outside of Buffalo Bills fans wanted to see that.

Are there some bad actors acting independently? Possibly, but it's not institutional.

Talking about Professional Wrestling, not the NFL.

gebobs
10-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Saved Al Davis' bacon.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Everyone knows that is a circus. The difference between the NFL and the WWE/WWF/for those of you old enough to remember the WCW and the other wrestling leagues out there is that its entertainment. By and large there is the occassional injury but this is mostly among your younger performers as the old hats have their moves down.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Talking about Professional Wrestling, not the NFL.

Don't forget harness racing. Always bet on the jockey, not the nag.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 11:07 AM

The World Series was fixed (in 1919 I think). I say it's gotta happen today.

Yup 1919, Eight Men out. However, the ironic thing is that Shoeless Joe may have been innocent. Anyways, its not just football that's fixed its all sports from all the pros, to division one NCAA to even some of the larger high school programs. You need proof? I take you back to the scene of a grave crime a certain saturday evening in early April 2013 in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA when Louisville* got the mother of all bull**** calls courtesy of Karl if he steps foot within 200 miles of Wichita, Kansas he's a dead man Hess. Yup, Wichita had posession and all Karl King of *******s Hess (he can't eject me from the board can he?) had to do was not blow the whistle and let the game be played and let the natural course of events take place and its upset city and WSU Shox the nation with a national title. See Wichita had the talent and heart to beat Louisville, but Louisville had the national sympathy (the kid who didn't have enough calcium in his diet), the media sympathy, and the money. and so Karl the most hated man in two collegiate conferences Hess decided to put his mouth where the money was and blew.

Oh yes, Karl Hess will never officiate a game in Wichita, KS. He does and he'd have to eject the entire crowd. Of course, he might also have to get the national guard out to get him home alive. Mother****er!

* Disclaimer, I hate Karl Hess but would never kill him. I might smile if someone slashed his tires, drove by him and splashed water on him on a rainy day, and think the ****er should take out an ad in the Wichita State Sunflower, the Wichita Eagle, and go on all the network affiliates throughout Kansas and western Missouri and beg for forgiveness. This would be followed by an apology tour where he knocked on every door in Wichita and said, hello I'm Karl Hess and I'm sorry, punch me please. Only then would I even think of forgiving Karl Hess of the worst officiating (with the exception of Ed Hoculi, but Ed is the god of bull**** calls and no mere mortal can ever encroach on his bull****tery) I've ever seen.

What was I saying before I went off on a tirade about how Alma Mater got hosed? Oh yeah, the sports world is rife with fixes because as long as someone has the money to gamble and merchandise to move the fix will be in.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
The Bills lose because they're one of the most ineptly managed franchises in pro sports. This whole conspiracy theory business just lets them off the hook.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Everyone knows that is a circus. The difference between the NFL and the WWE/WWF/for those of you old enough to remember the WCW and the other wrestling leagues out there is that its entertainment. By and large there is the occassional injury but this is mostly among your younger performers as the old hats have their moves down.

Heh - I remember Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino, The Destroyer, Bobo Brazil (he of the famous Coco Butt) etc. There was a studio wrestling (that's what it was called back then) venue somewhere around the foot of Porter Street. The old gals in attendance used to poke those ceremoniously‎ tossed from the ring with their umbrellas and canes.

What a hoot. :p:

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
The Bills lose because they're one of the most ineptly managed franchises in pro sports. This whole conspiracy theory business just lets them off the hook.

That's why I don't believe in grand conspiracies with thousands in on it. In the 90s we had **** calls, but were good enough that they didn't really matter. However, when a team is mediocre but might possibly be on the road to contention it really sucks when Vegas has a darling and by chance a couple really questionable calls steals a win from that team on the rise and hands it to the winner. If I'm right, the Pats and Chiefs make the playoffs, the Chiefs even split with Denver and get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Think about it 2-14 to 14-2 and the Chiefs have a crazy fan base and win. How better to garner money than selling out Arrowhead for the AFC divisional playoff and have the Chiefs take a 21 to 17 lead with 1:48 left on the clock, Brady with one time out and 70 yards to go for the winning score? Give the Chiefs fans their due, Hali, Houston and the Chiefs D get a couple sacks and then with about 25 seconds left the Chiefs pick off the pass in the endzone. Oh wait, its pass interference on Kansas City and New England gets 1st and goal at the one yard line. Brady has one timeout left. Hali sacks Brady. Two seconds left, ball at the Chief Seven. Brady looks he throws touchdown. The AFC title game is Broncos at New England, Manning v. Brady. Who wins? Why because Manning and Brady move jerseys. Alex Smith and tough defense do not.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
That's why I don't believe in grand conspiracies with thousands in on it. In the 90s we had **** calls, but were good enough that they didn't really matter. However, when a team is mediocre but might possibly be on the road to contention it really sucks when Vegas has a darling and by chance a couple really questionable calls steals a win from that team on the rise and hands it to the winner. If I'm right, the Pats and Chiefs make the playoffs, the Chiefs even split with Denver and get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Think about it 2-14 to 14-2 and the Chiefs have a crazy fan base and win. How better to garner money than selling out Arrowhead for the AFC divisional playoff and have the Chiefs take a 21 to 17 lead with 1:48 left on the clock, Brady with one time out and 70 yards to go for the winning score? Give the Chiefs fans their due, Hali, Houston and the Chiefs D get a couple sacks and then with about 25 seconds left the Chiefs pick off the pass in the endzone. Oh wait, its pass interference on Kansas City and New England gets 1st and goal at the one yard line. Brady has one timeout left. Hali sacks Brady. Two seconds left, ball at the Chief Seven. Brady looks he throws touchdown. The AFC title game is Broncos at New England, Manning v. Brady. Who wins? Why because Manning and Brady move jerseys. Alex Smith and tough defense do not.

If Manning and Brady meet in the AFC champ game, the refs' heads explode like those in 1950's era B&W sci-fi flicks.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Manning, IMO, is the evidence that the NFL is not rigged. He's arguably the most popular NFL player of all time, and the guy only has one ring and a completely absurd NINE one-and-dones. If anything, you'd think the league would be bending over backwards to get Manning into more Super Bowls, but that hasn't been the case. Indeed, on Tracy Porter's pick 6 that won New Orleans the super bowl, Manning got demolished from behind on a block, which would have called the TD back and kept them in the game. But the refs swallowed the whistle.

Albany,n.y.
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's my advice to anyone who thinks the NFL is fixed-STOP WATCHING.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Manning, IMO, is the evidence that the NFL is not rigged. He's arguably the most popular NFL player of all time, and the guy only has one ring and a completely absurd NINE one-and-dones. If anything, you'd think the league would be bending over backwards to get Manning into more Super Bowls, but that hasn't been the case. Indeed, on Tracy Porter's pick 6 that won New Orleans the super bowl, Manning got demolished from behind on a block, which would have called the TD back and kept them in the game. But the refs swallowed the whistle.

Which team was the sentimental favorite before that game? Its the same reason that Karl kiss my ass Hess blew his whistle (sure he mistook it for Louisville's dick, but he blew it anyway) in the final four this year. Of course, the league conveniently "punished" the Saints for their success that year. Also, Manning doesn't need rings. He has the records. That pushes jerseys too.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Nah, most sundays after Mass its a great excuse to drink good beer, grill some brats and hang out with friends. I think better advice would be to stop taking it seriously. Of course, I think for the most part that's the case about most things in life. I mean with the Bills being the Bills, I just borrow from Mike and the Robot crew on MST3k, just repeat to yourself its just a game, and you should really just relax. Actually, I just watch football because its great theatre. Seriously, mute the airhead broadcast team, put on some Grieg, Wagner, or Glinka, or even Bach and Mozart and just enjoy. Its great performing art.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Better yet - don't attend, don't buy the trinkets, record the game and zip through the commercials.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Better yet - don't attend, don't buy the trinkets, record the game and zip through the commercials.

Except for the Superbowl. Those commercials are almost always awesome.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Which team was the sentimental favorite before that game? Its the same reason that Karl kiss my ass Hess blew his whistle (sure he mistook it for Louisville's dick, but he blew it anyway) in the final four this year. Of course, the league conveniently "punished" the Saints for their success that year. Also, Manning doesn't need rings. He has the records. That pushes jerseys too.

The Saints? Are you kidding? They knocked off Brett Favre and Peyton Manning in consecutive weeks, both of whom are way more popular than Brees. It was a such an unpopular upset that the NFL specifically changed the OT rules because of Favre. If you want to talk sentimental favorite, talk about the 2006 Saints, playing the year they got back into the Super Dome and making it all the way to the NFC championship. Do you think the NFL just might have wanted to send them to the big game over Chicago and Sexy Rexy Grossman?

But they didn't.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 01:02 PM
The Saints? Are you kidding? They knocked off Brett Favre and Peyton Manning in consecutive weeks, both of whom are way more popular than Brees. It was a such an unpopular upset that the NFL specifically changed the OT rules because of Favre. If you want to talk sentimental favorite, talk about the 2006 Saints, playing the year they got back into the Super Dome and making it all the way to the NFC championship. Do you think the NFL just might have wanted to send them to the big game over Chicago and Sexy Rexy Grossman?

But they didn't.
Except that the league wanted to show its face, Manning, could beat a dominating defense. Also, the Saints were the feel good story that year. They could beat the big bad bears and it would be beautiful. But wait, its the Big Bad Bears v. Manning.

stuckincincy
10-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Heh - I grant you that. This may be urban legend, but I heard a long time ago - back in the videotape days - that FedEx failed to deliver their tape on time and so, their commercial didn't run.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Except that the league wanted to show its face, Manning, could beat a dominating defense. Also, the Saints were the feel good story that year. They could beat the big bad bears and it would be beautiful. But wait, its the Big Bad Bears v. Manning.

This is the beauty of conspiracy theories. No matter who wins and for what reason, you can spin it as the result the NFL wanted all along.

Last year's final four:
San Francisco: "Goodell just wants these running QBs that sell jerseys to be successful!"
Baltimore: "Goodell just wants Ray Lewis and Ed Reed to get a ring!"
New England: "Goodell just wnats Brady to tie his idol Montana!"
Atlanta: "Goodell just wants Tony Gonzalez to get a ring!"

gebobs
10-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Nothing better than watching the game with a bunch of clueless women yapping about the commercial when the game comes back on. Can't beat that with a stick.

I wish I could, but I got in trouble for it once.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Nothing better than watching the game with a bunch of clueless women yapping about the commercial when the game comes back on. Can't beat that with a stick.

I wish I could, but I got in trouble for it once.

Come on now Gebobers, some of us are less successful at getting the ladies than you are. As such we'll allow them to talk about the commercials. Of course, if the Bills ever appear in one again, its a shut the hell up zone as every play is important. Of course this gets lifted at halftime and enforcement of this rule is strictly arbitrary based on how much I really want the relationship with her.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
If you believe the NFL is fixed why have any emotional attachment to it?

It's like sitting there getting pissed off that Hulk Hogan is no longer the WWE/F heavyweight champion.

It's all meaningless BS.

Once you get to the point where you think the sport is fixed in any shape or matter, it's no longer competition but straight entertainment. No matter how large or small the fix is.