• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OLDSRIP
    • Dec 2008

20 million under the cap

Hi all,

Question, we hear about the 20 million under the cap all the time.

Is this common in the league or are the Bills one of the few who do this?

is this even a fact? I don't study that kind of thing and wonder if it is a solid criticism.

thanks
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: 20 million under the cap

I think the Bills are at about 18.5 mil under and I believe the Browns, Jags, and Dolphins all have more than that, so it's not uncommon. The Bills can still use that cap space by rolling it into next season. Maybe they plan to be aggressive in free agency next year, which is why they didn't want to spend it all this season. With a rookie head coach and rookie qb, it probably makes sense to not spend big this year. If it becomes an annual thing though, and they never spend to the cap, then I would say it's a problem.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      I think the Bills are at about 18.5 mil under and I believe the Browns, Jags, and Dolphins all have more than that, so it's not uncommon. The Bills can still use that cap space by rolling it into next season. Maybe they plan to be aggressive in free agency next year, which is why they didn't want to spend it all this season. With a rookie head coach and rookie qb, it probably makes sense to not spend big this year. If it becomes an annual thing though, and they never spend to the cap, then I would say it's a problem.
      Do you know how much cap room they had last year or the year before that ?

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ed View Post
        I would believe the Fins are close to the cap with all the FA's they have signed & will be over the cap next year unless they make some hard cuts.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

This site updates 4 times a day, showing the Salary Cap for all 32 teams: https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPu...x?report=top51

Currently, the Bills are $18,934,360 under the cap. Only Cleveland and Jacksonville currently have more cap room.

-Bill

Comment

• GingerP
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
            I would believe the Fins are close to the cap with all the FA's they have signed & will be over the cap next year unless they make some hard cuts.
            Miami has $18,675,009 in cap room.

Buffalo has $18,934,360 in cap room.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Nope... Dolphins have $18,675,009 under the cap, even with all their signings... Less than $300k less than the Bills have left.

Proof positive that you can sign quality players without blowing up your cap number.

-Bill

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                Miami has $18,675,009 in cap room.

Buffalo has $18,934,360 in cap room.
                The Fins must have a lot of money tied up in bonuses.

That will catch up to them sooner than later like it did to the Jets.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                  Nope... Dolphins have $18,675,009 under the cap, even with all their signings... Less than $300k less than the Bills have left.

Proof positive that you can sign quality players without blowing up your cap number.

-Bill
                  The Fins bought those players on a credit card rather than using cash.

But the credit card bill will be a doozy when it comes.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Real money, the Fins have major bills owed that will come due soon. They're also looking to build a new stadium down there, so there focusing on building a winner that no one can live without.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

The Bills profits last year was $12.6 million. It's obvious, without raising ticket prices, the Bills can't afford to spend to the cap. Owners are not in it to lose money.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

After having had a year to see what he inherited, I believe we'll be active in FA this coming offseason.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          The Bills profits last year was $12.6 million. It's obvious, without raising ticket prices, the Bills can't afford to spend to the cap. Owners are not in it to lose money.
                          With the new CBA all teams have to spend close to the cap. We will see if the Bills use the money saved this year on players next year.

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

...Unless they're smart and cut or restructure the players before they hit the later "big money" years, like 31 of the 32 teams usually do...

My question is: What's the use in rolling over cap room when it's never spent anyway?

Last year, IIRC, the Bills rolled over around $9 mil in cap room... Now, they have $18 mil plus...

But, "couldn't afford" to resign Levitre... Hell, couldn't even sign Rinehart.

But, yeah, let's pretend that the Bills' issues with not having talent and/or depth just fall out of the sky every year.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                              Two different pools of money.

One pool is the TV revenue. That's what goes to pay the players. Each team gets more than enough to cover the entire salary cap every year.

The profits come from ticket sales, parking and all that jazz.

Any money from the TV contracts that is not spent on players is pocketed, but not considered profit.

The Detroit Lions lost around $3 million last year, yet they're currently only $2,225,317 under the cap.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X