• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

QB Catastrophe - interesting article

History lesson on NFL and other teams who have had a carosel of QB's rotate in. One went on to be the dominant superbowl bears of 1985. The other teams were bad teams who never got much better. Hopefully we'll become more like the bears than the bucs.

• stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: QB Catastrophe - interesting article

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
    History lesson on NFL and other teams who have had a carosel of QB's rotate in. One went on to be the dominant superbowl bears of 1985. The other teams were bad teams who never got much better. Hopefully we'll become more like the bears than the bucs.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62939526/

Good article. I'm a bit surprised the reincarnated Browns didn't make the list.

BUF is in a terrible spot at the moment, though, chewing up roster spots by carrying these 4 qbs - plus one on the practice squad.

I'm surprised they didn't demote Tuel when they inked Flynn. I doubt he'd be plucked at this time of the season, and they could bring him back up before the season winds down and teams on the outs might be tempted to offer him a roster spot.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

browns had it bad, but had some stability YOY with their starter and backup. the bills will be on their 4th qb in 7 quarters if thad isn't healed up.

the bills failing this year, and then getting EJ back at the end and getting used to the speed of game to throw more accurately may be just what this team needs. it can add some depth on OL, help the defense out with my LB and secondary players and then the defense should be good enough to run the team and an accurate QB can keep the sticks moving.

somehow, me (the pessimist), thinks there could be some signs of hope.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

browns had it bad, but had some stability YOY with their starter and backup. the bills will be on their 4th qb in 7 quarters if thad isn't healed up.

the bills failing this year, and then getting EJ back at the end and getting used to the speed of game to throw more accurately may be just what this team needs. it can add some depth on OL, help the defense out with my LB and secondary players and then the defense should be good enough to run the team and an accurate QB can keep the sticks moving.

somehow, me (the pessimist), thinks there could be some signs of hope.
        Yep. I'd go the course with Manuel. He's shown a calmness, if that makes sense. Of course, the drumbeats will soon be wafting about this so-called prime qb crop coming up.

I wish they didn't commit to this hurry-up stuff. Why do that to a rookie qb? Why do that to your defense?

I figure it was a rah-rah pr move to gin up the gate.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

if the bills got EJ right, while the other bad teams will be picking up QBs, we can pick up a stud DL, OL or LB and shore up a need, and potentially get more picks.

If EJ isn't the one, we just kicked the rebuild down the road....again.

The thing about EJ, which was noticable once Tuel came in, is that he gets the game at a fundamental level for a rookie. Nothing moves too fast for him on the read. but being comfortable and making a throw needs to get better. when you compare it to tuel, who has the JP losman fear in his eyes, you see that EJ is at least ahead in that regard. and his demeanor after mistakes is much better. he shakes that stuff off. He doesn't really seem to be affected by the crowd. Where JP was always trying to please the fans and didn't have a great decision making process.

What i'm trying to say is that EJ has tools that the previous guys didn't have. and if he can come back from injury and get the old Eli treatment of sucking his first year, it will be a lot better for his second year.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            I wish they didn't commit to this hurry-up stuff. Why do that to a rookie qb? Why do that to your defense?
            Because it simplifies the pre-snap reads. The defense doesn't have time to do fancy sub packages or disguise much of anything. They have a hard enough time getting a play called and lining up.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
              • Aug 2013

if the bills got EJ right, while the other bad teams will be picking up QBs, we can pick up a stud DL, OL or LB and shore up a need, and potentially get more picks.

If EJ isn't the one, we just kicked the rebuild down the road....again.

The thing about EJ, which was noticable once Tuel came in, is that he gets the game at a fundamental level for a rookie. Nothing moves too fast for him on the read. but being comfortable and making a throw needs to get better. when you compare it to tuel, who has the JP losman fear in his eyes, you see that EJ is at least ahead in that regard. and his demeanor after mistakes is much better. he shakes that stuff off. He doesn't really seem to be affected by the crowd. Where JP was always trying to please the fans and didn't have a great decision making process.

What i'm trying to say is that EJ has tools that the previous guys didn't have. and if he can come back from injury and get the old Eli treatment of sucking his first year, it will be a lot better for his second year.
              That sounds a lot like confirmation bias to me. I don't really see him doing the things that you are saying for the most part, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect him to be able to do all of those things this early in his career.

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

Bills should still take a QB in round 2 next year. Too many out there that could be very good. Maybe they can somehow trade down and get the Defensive player they want and get a pick out of it while someone else takes Taj Boyd!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

the only issue with taking a qb, is that there are still needs on this team. in a lot of these close games, wouldn't you have killed to have a more reliable run game that can break off 4 yards a carry? wouldn't you want better LB depth? wouldn't you like to have byrd's replacement?

i think a little focus on the defense with very talented players and scrounging FA for linemen might be able to give us an uptick in the trenches.

if we get a biscuit to kiko's talley, the defense could go from hanging in there to being a diffence maker.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

really we have little idea what the bills qb sitch will look like by draft time

could be great. could be another disaster

at least i said could be great, last season it was all disaster

- - - Updated - - -

do gotta admit im like a giddy schoolgirl waiting for thadds next start
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                      That sounds a lot like confirmation bias to me. I don't really see him doing the things that you are saying for the most part, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect him to be able to do all of those things this early in his career.

i don't mean it to sound biased because i honestly don't knkow if he is the one or not. i think he looks better than a losman did after 5 games. i think there needs to be a lot of improving.

accuracy being the top bit. he could have sealed the pats game with an accurate pass. His longer passes that Thad his routinely, did give the bills life. even the goodwin pass where he was interfered with the game still close in the 3rd was an accurate pass. EJ isn't accurate. if they don't fix that, then they won't fix the offense.

what i was trying to say is that tuel looked what a rookie qb really looks like. Rattled, piss poor throws and then the confused face as he walks to the sideline. EJ for better or worse keeps a high demeanor regardless of the outcome and comes back to try again. i think that's a pretty good characteristic to have as a young guy. the idea of him getting rushed is less likely when he doesn't sulk.

Comment

Working...
                      X