PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Central Sportsnet Darcy to be fired soon

DetDannyWilliams
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier being on the hot seat. names being thrown around as replacements former Sabres player Jason Botterill assistant GM in Pitt, Tom Fitzgerald also with Pitt and former Sabres player Rick Dudley assistant GM in Montreal http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hc-regier-on-hot-seat-in-buffalo/

black N yellow
10-16-2013, 04:57 AM
thank God.

coastal
10-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Darcybag.

chernobylwraiths
10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking their souce is Discotrish

OpIv37
10-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Did they say that the decision has already been made, or did they say that he's "on the hot seat," meaning he can save his job if the team improves quickly?

If it's the latter, then we may have to root for some more losses for the greater good.

trapezeus
10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
i read that botterill article last night. that would be a step in the right direction.

but i fear this season is already lost. with ***** stafford, the team keeps the old "we keep our own regardless of performance." Does a new GM get the leeway to drop a contract and cut him and pay him? probably not. stafford can't be traded. so the team will continue to be middling as stafford and his friends who grew up with him won't change. we just have to hope the new kids don't get a case of the staffords.

meanwhile, a new GM would have to trade Miller or vanek sooner than later to try and make a push to get into things this season.

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 12:59 PM
predictably, the sabres vehemently deny darcy is close to being fired.

new owner, please.

trapezeus
10-16-2013, 01:08 PM
well they did win last night which helped them get 3 pts out of a playoff spot. as long as you move forward, you always get another chance.

i bet darcy could literally die and the sabres wouldn't replace him. "darcy, though dead, will be our GM for the foreseeable future. We expect him to find players from the grave."

sukie
10-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Denying means Darcy is toast.

WagonCircler
10-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Denying means Darcy is toast.

God, I hope so.

I did find it interesting that Terry made the comments that he did about Rebecca (errrrrr) Ted Black, but was mum on Darcy.

I think the clock is ticking, but Darcy lives to fight another day.

And that sucks.

trapezeus
10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
somewhere at the turn of the century buffalo sports got afraid that this was the best set of people we could find or bring to town. and the result is that we will never get anywhere as close to the idiots we hvae. So as long as this guy didn't have to wear mittens out in public lest he physically hurt someone, they had the job for life.

it's absurd that at 17 years of zero results with the exception of having the greatest goaltender ever and an owner who was breaking the law by buying whatever he wanted, didn't buy two more scoring forwards in 99. and the 2005-7 run based on a happenstance where smaller players were actually good for a hot second.

he has built the same talentless team over and over again hoping that his coach and strong goaltending could overcome. A real pain in the ass this guy has been. i will literally spend $200 at the sabres store as a thank you the day they let him go. otherwise, i've spent nothing on them this year.

Skooby
10-17-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a cart full of crap right now but I can't pull the trigger with this piggy still in the pen.

chernobylwraiths
10-18-2013, 05:32 AM

new owner, please.

I'm sorry but the stupidity of calling for a new owner is unbelievable. I've seen it several times by several people. The owner has some bad "hockey" people that he is listening to right now, but it won't last forever. He has done some very good things as an owner since buying the team. Who would have thought we would be trading for players just to let them sit in Rochester so that we can get a player we want/need like we did with Regheir? He has done a lot try and appease fans that many other owners, especially our former owners wouldn't do. Do you WANT another Golisano who is only interested in making money? Another Larry Quinn who was the guy who set this franchise back, hired Darcy, fired Nolan, wouldn't pay Briere, kept rehiring Darcy, and had the brilliant idea that the slug logo would go over real well? How about the Regis's ?

trapezeus
10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
agreed. i think Pegula has the potential to be a great owner. His vision is hockey-centric. He's building downtown a bit. He's invested in Buffalo. That's pretty exciting. That's a lot of projects to oversee. and frankly the need to have someone building in downtown is great for the city.

as for this sub-project of running the team, he's delegated out. I think they are getting the message that this isn't going to work. I think if they move from darcy and they get the right GM in here, he will be seen as a great owner 5 years from now.

just think about hte old ownership. They built one good team and they refused to keep it togetherbecause it was expensive. With all this young talent waiting to develop, do you think it will be outrageous for them to resign 3 or 4 high performers? i think he's got the pockets and willpower to want to see a dynasty formed.

That being said, he doesn't have the GM to do that yet.

chernobylwraiths
10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Sawyer might be a problem too since he is Pegula's "hockey guy" and it the guy who is directly responsible for wanting to keep Regier. I believe he was the one who said he asked a bunch of sources and they all told him that Darcy was a brilliant hockey guy. Then there are the reports of who might replace Darcy and the top two candidates are both Pittsburgh guys. IMO, the only reason they won the Cup was because they got lucky with the first overall pick in a lottery when Crosby was going to be the pick. I think Sawyer was a part of that.

ckg927
10-20-2013, 06:58 PM

new owner, please.

Keep in mind the Sabres said the same thing in re Lindy Ruff. And what happened a few weeks later? He got canned.

Talk is still cheap. It's what you actually do that counts.

JATMtheJATM
10-20-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry but the stupidity of calling for a new owner is unbelievable. I've seen it several times by several people. The owner has some bad "hockey" people that he is listening to right now, but it won't last forever. He has done some very good things as an owner since buying the team. Who would have thought we would be trading for players just to let them sit in Rochester so that we can get a player we want/need like we did with Regheir? He has done a lot try and appease fans that many other owners, especially our former owners wouldn't do. Do you WANT another Golisano who is only interested in making money? Another Larry Quinn who was the guy who set this franchise back, hired Darcy, fired Nolan, wouldn't pay Briere, kept rehiring Darcy, and had the brilliant idea that the slug logo would go over real well? How about the Regis's ?

i never liked pegula. from day one. pegulas problem is he listens to, of all people, his daughters on things when it comes to hockey. they like someone, they stay. im not even kidding. how many times has his dumb kids broke news on twitter? thats a real concern ive seen.

maybe the bad luck is karma for his hydrofracking.

Skooby
10-21-2013, 02:54 PM
i never liked pegula. from day one. pegulas problem is he listens to, of all people, his daughters on things when it comes to hockey. they like someone, they stay. im not even kidding. how many times has his dumb kids broke news on twitter? thats a real concern ive seen.

maybe the bad luck is karma for his hydrofracking.

How about him being a fan & ignoring his business instincts ? Hire a real driller GM & we might strike Oil, is that clearer for him to follow ?

JATMtheJATM
10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
How about him being a fan & ignoring his business instincts ? Hire a real driller GM & we might strike Oil, is that clearer for him to follow ?

all i want is an owner who holds people accountable. pegula doesnt do that.

trapezeus
10-22-2013, 07:26 AM
i said this elsewhere, but pegula has shown that he's a good presence for buffalo with the marriott and harbor center plan. I think he gets it from a high level. Hockey is going to be the center of the city. They are going to make it a place to go for college hockey, NHL hockey, Pee Wee hockey. If they have success with harbor center, i think he keeps expanding.

With that being the bigger, longer term goal, it seems like he doesn't have his eye on the ball with the team short term. i think the fans on the revolt is the only way to get his attention.

I also believe he knows this is much worse than he expected it would be when he kind of agreed to it in July. If darcy isn't gone by January, i would be surprised.

Night Train
10-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Rick Dudley has been rumored to be coming here for 18 years.

New Coach and GM needed badly.