PDA

View Full Version : If given a choice...

coastal
10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
And you had to lock up one player long term, who would it be?

Vanek or Miller?

coastal
10-16-2013, 07:20 AM
I would pick Ryan Miller.

right or wrong, he's been the face of the franchise for years. He may not be an elite goalie, but even I can't argue that he's a damn good goalie. This team has a solid core of young defensemen. Build around that.. Don't weaken it. Not to mention... his high end trade value has come and gone. Sign him to a four to five year deal and let the rebuild happen.

OpIv37
10-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Id have to go with Miller too.

While Vanek has talent, I don't think he has the leadership or the consistency to build a team around him, and I know that's exactly what Darcy will try to do if he locks Vanek up.

Plus, Vanek's a 30 goal scorer- they don't exactly grow on trees but they're much easier to find than a top 10 or 15 goaltender. Just look at the Caps: they've been underachieving for like 6 years largely as a result of inconsistent goaltending and a goalie carousel.

sukie
10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Hard to chose. What would either be like playwise at the end of a long term deal? First we need to define when a rebuild will begin. I assume next off season.

THIS current team is not a rebuild rather a mish mosh of mistakes. NO rebuild will occur with Darcy at the helm.

Now if there is ANY value left in Miller, the next GM has to squeeze out all he can. It is a gamble to bank on a guy that may have best in the rear view mirror.

IMO trade both if the offer is there.

Gun to head... Miller.

chernobylwraiths
10-16-2013, 08:12 AM
I like both a lot. And Vanek is quite a bit younger than Miller, but if I had to choose, I would keep Miller.

rbochan
10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
As long as Miller shuts his mouth.

Meathead
10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
if it has to be one to go then it should be miller

i love the guy on and off the ice but the sabres do have a ton of goalie prospects, including enroth who has been good enough to be given a shot to be #1. replacing vanek would appear to be much more difficult. i think theyd also get more for miller in trade

honestly i hope both end up staying but that appears unlikely. i just hope we dont lose both. and i sure as hell hope we dont lose either of them for nuthin

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 12:58 PM
even though im a staunch miller fan, and i believe miller is elite, i go with vanek. hes younger, and the sabres have enroth and hackett waiting in the wings. neither will likely be elite, but at 33, miller is not a kid anymore, and his play will decline soon.

but your right, you wont get as much for miller over vanek. in a complete rebuild, trade both. if one stayed, id be happy with that.

coastal
10-16-2013, 03:14 PM
even though im a staunch miller fan, and i believe miller is elite, i go with vanek. hes younger, and the sabres have enroth and hackett waiting in the wings. neither will likely be elite, but at 33, miller is not a kid anymore, and his play will decline soon.

but your right, you wont get as much for miller over vanek. in a complete rebuild, trade both. if one stayed, id be happy with that.
Assuming the rebuild has already started... what do I think the strength of that rebuild is so far?

trapezeus
10-16-2013, 04:18 PM
i'd take vanek. he's younger, he can get hot, and if you can pair him with a center that has some play making skill and plays big, vanek can be deadly. If you commit to vanek, you really have to commit to him and get a real top center for him and possibly trade miller and a prospect to get that center now. not wait for someone to develop.

or get a scrapper who also has some talent to ride the wing with hodgson and vanek. Someone who's got their back, but isn't a total liability on the ice.

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Assuming the rebuild has already started... what do I think the strength of that rebuild is so far?

well, defense. you want them to get ekblad (which if they got him, id be all for it)

coastal
10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
well, defense. you want them to get ekblad (which if they got him, id be all for it)
Yes and yes... but the point is you don't weaken that new found strength by getting rid of Miller at this point. Build around the youth by giving them the vet in net behind them.

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Yes and yes... but the point is you don't weaken that new found strength by getting rid of Miller at this point. Build around the youth by giving them the vet in net behind them.

but at the same time, in a total rebuild, you dont keep a 33 year old goaltender when you have youth in the pipeline behind him. someone has to go in net, hackett is ready (or close to) so the natural move is to move the oldest, most valuable goaltender. in my opinion.

coastal
10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
but at the same time, in a total rebuild, you dont keep a 33 year old goaltender when you have youth in the pipeline behind him. someone has to go in net, hackett is ready (or close to) so the natural move is to move the oldest, most valuable goaltender. in my opinion.
Why bring back Tallinder?

Miller brings that same level of experience to the back end. There's value in having teachers.

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Tallinder was to get myers back in groove. I have no issues keeping miller unless they can get a young elite goalie in the organization. Fucale could have been that.

OpIv37
10-16-2013, 08:41 PM
i'd take vanek. he's younger, he can get hot, and if you can pair him with a center that has some play making skill and plays big, vanek can be deadly. If you commit to vanek, you really have to commit to him and get a real top center for him and possibly trade miller and a prospect to get that center now. not wait for someone to develop.

or get a scrapper who also has some talent to ride the wing with hodgson and vanek. Someone who's got their back, but isn't a total liability on the ice.
The problem is that Darcy will never do it. If he commits to Vanek, then that's it. Vanek's his guy that he drafted. He'll expect Vanek to do what he's never been able to do and lift up the Pominvilles and Roys and Staffords of the world instead of giving Vanek that top center that he needs to truly be successful.

coastal
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Vanek isn't a franchise player... he's a luxury for a team that needs a sniper.

JATMtheJATM
10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
hes close though. he will get the sabres a large return.

Mouldsie
10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I would feel bad for Miller if I signed him

clumping platelets
10-17-2013, 12:17 AM
We will get more for Vanek

Captain Obvious
10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Fucale could have been that.

5 years from now Sabres fans will be wishing Darcy had drafted Zach Fucale instead of JT Compher..

JATMtheJATM
10-17-2013, 11:07 AM
5 years from now Sabres fans will be wishing Darcy had drafted Zach Fucale instead of JT Compher..

i disagree. i watched compher play for michigan, and the commentators (ken daniels of the red wings calls michigan games on TV) was just raving about him. now, is fucale going to be more of an impact? probably.

PTI
10-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Nail Yakupov, healthy scratch 2 games in a row.

Why?

PTI
10-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I would rather have Vanek still, Sabres cannot score and Miller has been here a long time, and we have not won the big one with him. Some teams that stick with the guy too long just do not win it.

I look at teams like Vancouver, San Jose, Dallas (well after their CUp), even Anaheim (even though they won), even the NY Rangers. Why can't the Rangers win? Not because the goalie, they can't score in the playoffs.

These teams kept the same goalies for a long time and have not won. After the lockout, several teams with won the Cup without a deemed superstar goalie.

Problem is, LA Kings, and Bruins, did have elite play when they won.

I think Kings were 3rd lowest goals scored the year they won the Cup, just key playoff scoring.

JATMtheJATM
10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Nail Yakupov, healthy scratch 2 games in a row.

Why?

he basically said he doesnt want to skate or play without the puck. im thinking the quote was lost in translation.

Mouldsie
10-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Let's get him. In fact the Sabres should build a team of Russian cast-offs

"unite against a common enemy" (the rest of the N. America-biased NHL in this hypothetical)