If NYC Can Host A Super Bowl, Why Not Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

If NYC Can Host A Super Bowl, Why Not Buffalo?

Hard to believe the Super Bowl will be played on a cold February day in New York City at the end of this season. I hope it snows, a lot.

Here is a list of every Super Bowl host city since 1967.

The first time the NFL broke the warm weather, big city standard for the Super Bowl was at the Silverdome in 1982. Pontiac, Michigan was the host city.

Ten years later, the NFL went north again when Minneapolis, Minnesota hosted the Super Bowl in 1992. Let's not talk about the game, just the location please.

13 years later, the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville, Florida in 2005.

In 2006, Detroit hosted Super Bowl XL.

In 2012, Indianapolis, IN hosted Super Bowl 46.

If Pontiac, Minneapolis, Jacksonville, Detroit, Indianapolis, and New York City (no dome) can host the Super Bowl - why not Orchard Park, NY?

Western New York has the economic infrastructure to host the game. Think Niagara Falls in the north, Buffalo in the middle, and Ellicotville in the south. Toronto is an added bonus for tourists. Many fans and media could fly in to TO, and then drive over the Peace Bridge.

Over 12 million tourists visit Niagara Falls every year, or about 1 million tourists per month.
    Collectively they are called Niagara Falls. Categorized by these three names: American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and the Canadian Falls.

America's, "Twenty Minute City," can handle the Super Bowl.

So how does the process of selecting the host city work? Does a city have to make a bid first before being considered by the NFL big wigs?

Why not put in a bid? The entire region would benefit. Every hotel and motel would be sold out. Every business in town would benefit.
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Re: If NYC Can Host A Super Bowl, Why Not Buffalo?

What a lousy comparison. There is a big difference from playing a cold weather game without a dome in NYC then in Buffalo. I highly doubt anybody is just licking their chops to visit Ellicottville. The other rare occasions that they played a Super Bowl in a cold weather city involved teams with a dome. NYC will be the first true cold weather Super Bowl and it's only happening because it's in NYC and they just built a new stadium. There are many stadiums and cities that can host a Super Bowl but it's chosen based on the weather, city and stadium.

The Super Bowl is a corporate event and there are very few average fans that attend the games due to the price of the tickets. The last place a bunch of rich corporate people will want to see a Super Bowl in cold weather is in Buffalo. Not to mention the old stadium with horrible concourses, restrooms and amenities. Even if we had a new stadium with a dome it would be tough to get a Super Bowl in Buffalo. Even with the surrounding areas that is still nothing compared to the nigh life in NYC for the corporate fans to see.

Even the average fans would rather go somewhere else to watch a Super Bowl then in Buffalo. If they are going to fork out that kind of money for a ticket they want to go somewhere to make a vacation out of it. Unless all you want to do is play slot machines or blackjack in Buffalo or Canada then it wouldn't be much of a vacation for people spending that kind of money. Seeing Niagara Falls in the middle of winter isn't a big enough attraction to host a Super Bowl. The strippers in Canada would probably be the biggest attraction out of the entire deal.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

I hope NY gets the worst snow they've had in years that night.

Comment

• BillsFever21
        • Aug 2004

That would be kind of cool to actually see a blizzard during the Super Bowl. They make for the funnest games to watch on television. They try to avoid that stuff when it comes to the Super Bowl. They would rather take bad weather out of the equation and how it would effect the way the game is played. Then if it was an East Coast team who plays outdoors facing some warm weather team it would be a huge advantage for them.

The NFL doesn't want weather playing a factor in the outcome of the game and dictating the way it's played. I wouldn't mind seeing a huge blizzard for the game though.

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

Yeah. I mean, NYC and Buffalo are pretty much the exact same thing.
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

I hope for a beautiful ice storm, about 3-4 inches of icey rain that coats everything so everyone gets a slippery trip. Then a winter-wonderland of huge flakes as the temps drop to below zero & beyond.

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
              Yeah. I mean, NYC and Buffalo are pretty much the exact same thing.
              There isn't that much of a difference between Buffalo and NYC...except about 8 million people and tons of things to see and do.

Just when I thought some of his posts about the Bills or Buffalo couldn't get anymore crazier this one pops up and exceeds all of my expectations.

Comment

• Homegrown
                Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                • Jul 2008

Super Bowl in Orchard Park, the Red Carpet Inn gets a boner

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                  There isn't that much of a difference between Buffalo and NYC...except about 8 million people and tons of things to see and do.

Just when I thought some of his posts about the Bills or Buffalo couldn't get anymore crazier this one pops up and exceeds all of my expectations.
                  Crazy is thinking the league would want something positive to happen in Buffalo, the idea is insane.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                    Crazy is thinking the league would want something positive to happen in Buffalo, the idea is insane.
                    Crazy is assuming it would be positive.

Buffalo lacks the infrastructure for a SB, particularly the (luxury) hotel space, and while Buffalo and a few other places in the North would love a blizzard during a SB, the rest of the world would hate it and it would do nothing but confirm everyone's stereotype of the city.

If Buffalo gets a downtown dome stadium and a large urban hotel nearby sometime in the future, then MAYBE we'll get to host a SB. But it'll never happen as long as we have a remote outdoor stadium. Don't get me wrong- I like the stadium where it is because it feeds the tailgating atmosphere. It's just not what the league or most of the fans want in terms of a SB location.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

ive always wanted the sb to rotate btwn whatever cities wanted to/could qualify to host it

weather shouldnt be a factor imo. thats the great thing about football, you can play it in any weather. you can buy clothing that protects you against any elements. so what if the sb ended up to be a massive snowstorm. if the pampered *****es with tickets dont want to go give them to the less fortunate like me

now whether bflo could even host that event is debateable. but weather itself shouldnt be an issue imo
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

There is no way possible for Buffalo to host that event.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

If you've been to the other 31 NFL cities, Buffalo is in the back 5th of quality hotels and entertainment that could support a week of the hype.

If the NFL wanted to help the city and give the Bills something else like a draft or something, that'd be easier to do and beneficial to the city. But to think that the Superbowl could be done well in Buffalo is not even in the space of really arguing about. No one in the NFL offices would think of this for a second. Even the other cities that they want out of like Minny and SD are much larger and modern than buffalo.

We love buffalo because it's ours. Our friends like buffalo because they see it through our eyes. A billionaire coming to buffalo finds it below him and so all his millionaire friends.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Whatever Happens in NYC or rather NEW JERSEY can't be any worse than Miami & Dallas

Comment

• EricStratton
                              • Jul 2002

I live about 20 minutes from MetLife Stadium, I hope the weather if great on SuperBowl Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X