Should Spiller sit out a game to get healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Should Spiller sit out a game to get healthy?

It's a question that could be raised. With Spiller running around every week on a bad ankle all it's doing is limiting his touches each game. I could go for giving him a week to rest and heal his ankle. I would rather have Spiller at around 100% for the rest of the season then him running on a gimpy ankle all season.

He's had some nice runs the past couple weeks but he's in for a play or two and then needs to come out. I would rather see him get healthy where we can use him on a consistent basis and at full speed. Jackson and Choice can pick up any slack for the game or so that he sits out. His injury is limiting his carries, speed and cutting ability that makes him explosive. He's still fast with the injury but we need him at 100%. His big pass plays have been non-existent this season. If he was fully healthy we could use him more in the passing game.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Should Spiller sit out a game to get healthy?

When's the bye week?

Comment

• mightysimi
      Buckle me in on the highway of sin
      • Mar 2010

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
        It's a question that could be raised. With Spiller running around every week on a bad ankle all it's doing is limiting his touches each game. I could go for giving him a week to rest and heal his ankle. I would rather have Spiller at around 100% for the rest of the season then him running on a gimpy ankle all season.

He's had some nice runs the past couple weeks but he's in for a play or two and then needs to come out. I would rather see him get healthy where we can use him on a consistent basis and at full speed. Jackson and Choice can pick up any slack for the game or so that he sits out. His injury is limiting his carries, speed and cutting ability that makes him explosive. He's still fast with the injury but we need him at 100%. His big pass plays have been non-existent this season. If he was fully healthy we could use him more in the passing game.

Dunno - he made decent cuts last week and seemed speedy, IMO. Maybe he needs longer-lasting painkillers? Bad joke, eh...

I looked up last year's running stats a while back - BUF was way up there in calling inside running plays. Spiller hits the inside hole well.

Injury concerns aside, 4 things come to mind: One, the league has digested Spiller's performance last year, and have acted on it.

Two, Fitzpatrick got the ball out of his hands so quickly, under the past regime system. The opposition had to respect that, and that allowed a half-second or more for the OL to open a hole. Folks pile on Fitz, but IMO, he was perfect for a club with an iffy OL and a WR corps that scared nobody.

Three - it's another year of OL musical chairs. No need to elaborate...the military acronym from WWII suffices - S.N.A.F.U.

Four - the current regime and their quick pace. The opposition knows full well that BUF works off a short list of play calls. That they are doing this with a rookie qb is curious. It also makes your defense pant like a pooch in Phoenix at 2 PM. If CIN's DC wasn't true to form in his calling heavy blitzes late in the 4th quarter, BUF probably scored 6 instead of 14, and no OT.

An aside...Woods seems to be the real deal. I'd be working on 10, 15 yard middle patterns for him. Shows nice hands, but I'd like to explore his separation skills more.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

Yes. Definitely needs a week off. He gets up gimpy after every run.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            Dunno - he made decent cuts last week and seemed speedy, IMO. Maybe he needs longer-lasting painkillers? Bad joke, eh...

I looked up last year's running stats a while back - BUF was way up there in calling inside running plays. Spiller hits the inside hole well.

Injury concerns aside, 4 things come to mind: One, the league has digested Spiller's performance last year, and have acted on it.

Two, Fitzpatrick got the ball out of his hands so quickly, under the past regime system. The opposition had to respect that, and that allowed a half-second or more for the OL to open a hole. Folks pile on Fitz, but IMO, he was perfect for a club with an iffy OL and a WR corps that scared nobody.

Three - it's another year of OL musical chairs. No need to elaborate...the military acronym from WWII suffices - S.N.A.F.U.

Four - the current regime and their quick pace. The opposition knows full well that BUF works off a short list of play calls. That they are doing this with a rookie qb is curious. It also makes your defense pant like a pooch in Phoenix at 2 PM. If CIN's DC wasn't true to form in his calling heavy blitzes late in the 4th quarter, BUF probably scored 6 instead of 14, and no OT.

An aside...Woods seems to be the real deal. I'd be working on 10, 15 yard middle patterns for him. Shows nice hands, but I'd like to explore his separation skills more.
            If Fitz had the ability to throw even an intermediate pass with consistency, he would be a GOOD QB, but he does not have that ability & that is why people pile on him.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
              • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=stuckincincy;3861458]Dunno - he made decent cuts last week and seemed speedy, IMO. Maybe he needs longer-lasting painkillers? Bad joke, eh...

A other factor IMO is that CJ ran out of the spread more last year.
              I think he excels at picking the holes in spread formations.

I would hope the a Bills medical staff knows enough to tell if a week off would do the trick for his ankle.
              it sure seems like a valid idea from outside.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

[QUOTE=OLDSRIP;3861576]
                Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post

I would hope the a Bills medical staff knows enough to tell if a week off would do the trick for his ankle.
                it sure seems like a valid idea from outside.
                It does. But I'd say nothing, and have him on the field. Run him for a play or two, no more. He's the Bills player that the opposition has to game plan against. Which is why BUF has been mum about his injury status. IMO.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

I think he needs a week off. He's not the player we need him to be and we could do much better if he was 100% after a weeks rest. Fjax and Choice can keep the production where it's been with him playing hurt for a week.

Comment

• Raptor
                    • Jan 2009

If he can go he can go, that's the nice thing about having a good back up that some Bills fans were to eager to trade away in Fred Jackson

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                      If he can go he can go, that's the nice thing about having a good back up that some Bills fans were to eager to trade away in Fred Jackson
                      Yeah. The periodic hate-Fred-he's-too-old threads have dried up as of late.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                        • Aug 2004

After watching this game once again it's obvious that he needs to rest for a week and get healthy. Even if it was two weeks then so be it. He only had 6 carries and after every carry he needs to come out of the game. He isn't close to 100% and it's not doing us any good having a gimpy Spiller out on the field.

Plus with the way Jackson keeps limping around I think it's only a matter of time before he goes down. We had a couple scares yesterday that it was happening. When looking at his past two seasons the odds are good that it could happen.

Without even factoring in Jackson's health we need to get Spiller 100%. If Jackson went down and then Spiller is still gimping around the field it will definitely ruin our running attack. Considering our passing attack isn't very good then we need to have our running game. Sit him next week against the Saints if need be. Our bye week is still too far away to wait that long.

Comment

Working...
                        X